four

Burnt Orange
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

She was fascinated with words. To her, words were things of beauty, each like a magical powder or portion that could be combined with other words to create enchanting spells. She was unmistakably in love with the idea of falling for a powerful sorcerer–a writer.

 

“Miss Bae,” He clears his throat and begins. “Do you know why you are here?”  

 

The first person whom Sehun has called into questioning is a petite woman, professionally dressed in a formal chiffon blouse and a grey pencil skirt that sits neatly at knee length, wearing a matt black glasses that frame her face well.

 

“I’m not so sure, Prosecutor Oh.” They exchange a quick moment of faux courtesy. “I would rather you tell me the reason.”

 

“We need your assistance as a reference witness for our investigation in the missing case of Jessica Jung. There are a few questions that I have over here for you.”

 

“Sure, please go ahead and ask anything that you need.” She eyes him with wary and crosses one leg over the other behind the desk.

 

“Jessica was last spotted here.” Sehun places a photograph on the table, “We checked and this was in fact taken by you. Why were you there and what did you see?”

 

“I am a journalist. This is what I do for a living, Prosecutor Oh. It was exactly as what you and everyone else have perceived from this photograph.” She raises the cup in front of him and takes a sip of the hot Americano to imply what she is about to say in her statement before setting down the cup on the table. “Jongin and Jessica met up over coffee.”

 

“And what happened after that?” He queries briskly.

 

“They left after a long conversation, maybe twenty or twenty-five minutes,” the well-spoken woman pauses for a brief second, “separately.”

 

Sehun puckers his brows and enquires. “What were they talking about?”

 

“I was inside my car so I couldn’t catch what they were saying.” She reasons speculatively. “It could have been anything, business, private or relationship, but it did seemed like a rather heated conversation that they had. Jongin was the first to stand up to leave, without even looking back at Jessica.”  

 

“Why didn’t you follow any one of them when they left?”

 

“There wasn’t a need to. I already got what I wanted.” She answers as a matter of fact and taps twice on the photograph on the table.

 

“Did you see Krystal with them in the café or in Jongin’s car?” 

 

She shakes her head, “No, I only heard about their car accident the next day through the news.”

 

“What about the black box?”

 

“Well, I wasn’t there to begin with.” She defends herself objectively. 

 

“You weren’t at the scene, but Kim Myungsoo was.” He states firmly, a glacial expression remains on his face.

 

“I don’t quite get your drift.”

 

“We tracked your phone, you did make a phone call to Myungsoo that night.” Sehun proceeds to question her tactfully. “What was the call about? Could it be that you had informed him of their whereabouts? And he was the one who captured Jessica and took the black box away to cover up his tracks?”

 

“I’ve reservations about your claims. If he did, why would he stay with Jongin then? He could have fled off.” Her eyes are pensive as she shakes her head and repudiates his claim sagaciously, without being affected by Sehun’s badgering. “I highly doubt

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter