Soojung

Burnt Orange
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Dreams are often the opposite of reality; Soojung wants to believe even if she knows that it’s not true.

 

Because there’s this disturbing dream that she has, only recurring on the nights when she forgets to take her medication or Jessica does not visit. These dreams are like shadows at night; they are always slyly trailing behind her but disappear once there’s light, and when the dark descends, they will reappear again.

 

She sees the reflection of herself from the shiny panes of glass all around her in her dream. Her perfectly-lined eyes gaze back at her very chillingly, emotionless yet piercing at the same time.

 

“Who are you,” she finds her voice trembling in trepidation.

 

Soojung feels her stomach churning, skin prickling uncomfortably. She puts her hand to her head that’s pounding so loudly, and tries to shake off the insufferable feelings inside. Beads of perspiration are streamlining down her face, cold chills running down her spine and it gets harder and suffocating to breathe.

 

When she straightens herself, her reflection is still there, one corner of her lips now pulled into a smirk, as if mocking her now. The world feels light on her feet; and the twisted smile on her own face is making her shudder.

 

(It's me, Krystal.)

 

Her fists are clenched so tightly now that she’s certain her nails are biting into the skin and drawing blood. She remembers the pain, and she realises she’s not numb and feels something. She doesn’t know the first time it happens, but it comes back to her in vivid details. These memories, that have been buried so deep down, comes together with a gush of anguishing pain of betrayal and Soojung wishes she never knew.

 

But the silence is shattered like the shards of broken glass mirrors refracting half-truths.

 

“Wake up, Krystal,” a feminine voice, she recognises, sweet as nectar, breaks through like a fleeting hope during the darkness.

 

But it’s the same scene replaying in her head over and over again. It hurts more than any burns or bruise; it hurts everywhere and she feels like she’s breaking from head to toe, aching inside and out, and her thin body is curved like the burden of truth is weighing her down and she can’t move anymore.

 

She remembers. The person who killed Jongin.

 

(Of course you remember, don’t you?)

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter