one

Burnt Orange
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Once upon a time, there was a beautiful fashion designer, who was practically perfect in every single way. She was a well-respected woman with utmost poise, femininity and aspirations. Everyone liked her. One night, late night, stars bright, she had gone missing without a trace. The only clues she had left behind were a cellphone and her seemingly deranged sister.

 

His gaze lands on her.

 

She’s just a patient, a beautiful woman in her mid-twenties. The expression she wears on her face is one consumed with nothing but fear and bewilderment. She has always been celebrated for her dazzling beauty and fashion, but this doll-like woman sitting in front of him now looks somewhat pale and disoriented, from the dark circles under her eyes to her tear-stained cheeks and her messy chestnut-brown locks that fall all over her shoulders.

 

“My name’s Soojung. But please, call me Krystal.”  

 

He blinks at her for a moment and then clears his throat out of habit before taking out the confidential case file of Jung Sooyeon.

 

“I am Oh Sehun, the prosecutor in charge of the investigation of the case of your sister.”

 

(Sooyeon. Where’s Sooyeon? She isn’t here again, is she? Right, she’s never here when you need her.)

 

Soojung whimpers in a soft voice just barely above a whisper, “She was my only kin,” before losing herself to the tears once more, sobs echoing throughout the silence of the empty room.

 

“The police suspect premeditated murder,” he reveals the details to her, “and we found out that your sister was last seen together with Kim Jongin. Are you aware of their relationship?”

 

She looks just as stunning with tears in her eyes and no words to say. There is a beat of silence and Sehun senses something is coming. His sharp intuition is then followed by a ear-piercing scream that cuts through the still air.

 

“What the hell are you talking about?” Soojung lunges forward and yells at him vehemently.

 

Sehun backs up a little in shock, but he does not let any of his emotions show. The way she has reacted so strongly at the mention of him is perplexing. Before he knows it, a group of paramedics has already rushed in and held her down.  

 

“Mr Oh, I am sorry but I need you to leave immediately,” one of the paramedics insists.   

 

He frowns and presses his lips together.

 

Soojung’s eyes are red as she looks up at him but the emotions are so clear that they cut through him like daggers. She’s angry, very very angry, and she looks like a complete wreck, with tears streaming down her cheeks, and it’s apparent that she’s distraught. There were more yelling and screaming as she glares intensely at him and tries to push against the hold of the paramedics. 

 

Despite her violent outburst, Sehun has no intention to step down. He regains his composure and questions again, his voice is deep and resonating.   

 

“What do you know about Kim Jongin?”

 

(Jongin. Right, my Jongin. He’s my dear Jongin.)

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter