A Delayed Confession

Love Playlist

 

 

 

 

 

 

J O   Y U R I    X    L E E   D A E H W I
 

__________________________________________________

 

After I tell you these words
I’m not sure if we can go back
To smiling like we are now
But I have to

-I Like You, 2017

 

 


 

A DELAYED CONFESSION

 

A confession. To admit that you actually like someone is quite easy when you talked about it towards someone else. But what if you're about to do it in front of the person you like? It might be as simple as 'I like you', but who knows, to say those three words, you will need to possess such an enormous courage and only then, the message could be conveyed.

"Do you think it's easy for me to say it?" Daehwi frustratedly brushed his hair backward after he had done rants all of his inner feelings towards his friends. He heaved out a sigh, staring at the endless sky ahead of him, "How did you guys end up together?" The latter asked to cause the two to look at each other.

The girl raised her eyebrows first before she returned her attention towards Daehwi, "Jinyoung asked me out first," She answered, receiving a pout from the boy, "What? You confessed to me right, saying that you like me and you can't live without me?" She stuck out her tongue.

"Well, that's true, but Chaewon, don't you think I don't know you, in fact, had a crush on me for the past 2 years?" It's about the time for the boy to attack his girlfriend, "You're basically obsessing over me," He complained, but didn't describe any unpleased expression on his face as if he approves of her to be like that.

The boy shoves his palm into their face, "Okay, that's it. Both of you are not going to help in settling the problem," Daehwi complained as he looked at the couple who kept giving a mere headache to him. Seriously, why did he ever thinks the two could assist him in confessing his feelings towards Jo Yuri? The girl whom he admires for two years long.

Jinyoung let out a small chuckle, "I'm sorry," He apologized, "Okay, I actually have an idea but that will be if only you agree with it. It might come out a little bit cheesy though," The boy explained about his plan thoroughly and sometimes Chaewon would put her idea into the conversation; adding more things to do.

"So, when will we do that?" Daehwi curiously asked and the two of them answered simultaneously causing a goosebump to him as his eyes widened, "You gotta be kidding me," He tried to laugh it off but Chaewon quickly shook, "How am I supposed to get ready all of it tonight?"

Chaewon's lips curved upwards forming an assurance smile, "Don't worry, Daehwi. You could count on us," She darted her eyes towards her boyfriend, "All you need to do is believe in us and go to the designated place tonight! Make sure you're on time," Chaewon winked.

"Since we have a lot to do," Jinyoung leisurely laid his arms around Chaewon's shoulders, "See you tonight, Lee Daehwi," He notified his friend before bidding a goodbye, abandoning the boy behind in a pretty of clueless state.

Daehwi scratched his head, "So, what should I do now?" He muttered alone as a sigh escaped his lips.

After tired of thinking on what he should do, Daehwi ended up in his house without he realized about it. He entered the house with a weak step, basically, he was tiring himself today for carrying out unnecessary works just with a reason he wanted to avoid Yuri. Since he knows, if he didn't, Yuri would find for him and ask him to accompany her.

Lee Daehwi and Jo Yuri have known each other for almost five years. Daehwi didn't know why but he discovered himself liking the girl when he couldn't appreciate the fact Yuri gained herself a boyfriend two years ago. He hates the fact that there's someone else besides Yuri other than him.

For him, he's the only one who should be with Yuri and no one else. He owned Yuri; though he could never utter those words in the first place.

The latter vacantly staring at his closet, wondering on what he should put onto himself for the event tonight. He didn't have any idea what will his friends did for him but he knows he could depend on them. Since they have constantly wanted the best for him.

His lips curved upwards when he came across the outfit he wore for the very first time his meeting with Yuri. To be honest, it's essentially a blind date arranged by his friend; visibly not Bae Jinyoung and he happened to know the girl.

Ever since that day, the two decided to become mutual until today... It looks like Daehwi going to take their relationship a step further and he was hoping that everything will be absolutely fine. She wouldn't possibly ignore him even though she will end up rejecting him right?

Their friendship should worth more than that, isn't it?

Without much thought, Daehwi unconsciously puts on the particular outfit, taking a peek off his phone if the two contacted him but till now there's nothing appeared on the screen, "What the hell are the two up to?" He mumbled alone.

He looked at the watch hung on the wall, it's only 30 minutes past 6 in the evening at the moment. Was it too early for him to go out? He hummed to an unknown song before a knock could be heard on his room door.

Daehwi went to get the door just to see a girl was standing right in front of his room, "Y--Yuri, what are you doing here?" He asked stuttering, "And how did you get into here?" Daehwi continued.

The girl tilted her head, "Your mum open the door for me," Yuri answered, "Are you going somewhere, Lee Daehwi?" She raised both of her eyebrows looking at the boy who was currently having a nice outfit on.

"Oh," Suddenly he lost all his sanity and consciousness at the same time, "No--Nothing, I'm staying at home," Daehwi notified her, "Why?" 

Yuri shook, "Nothing," She flashed a smile, giving a fluttering heart to the boy in front of her, "Oh, yes, here," Yuri passed a book to Daehwi and he awkwardly received it before passing a look as if he's saying, 'What is this?'. The latter let out a small chuckle, "It's the book I borrowed from you a month ago. Sorry for the late,"

"No. it's okay," Daehwi tried to assure the girl. He didn't really care on how long Yuri wanted to hold onto his book since he had done reading it anyways but it surprised him to regard the girl here. She rarely comes to his house unless there's something important she wanted to inform him, "Do you have something you want to tell me?"

Yuri furrowed her eyebrows, pretty clueless with his sudden question, "I don't think so?" She responded, "Oh, I have to go. My shift will start in 30 minutes so see you tomorrow at school, Lee Daehwi!" She left the boy in awe as she waved her hand, gradually making her way downstairs in hurry so that she wouldn't be late for her part-time work.

All Daehwi could think presently is the probability of Jinyoung and Chaewon was having a great time, ridiculing him as they sent Yuri to his house out of the sudden. Daehwi snatched his phone that he put on his study table and started to dial someone, "Bae Jinyoung," His voice came out stern and serious.

"What? We're busy right now,"

Daehwi could detect the sound of waves of laughter at the end of the call, "You're the one who asked Yuri to come to my house right?" He straightforwardly asked without hesitation.

"What do you mean by that? Did Yuri go to your house? Why?"

He frowned. It seemed like Jinyoung really didn't know about it, though. Did he get the fact wrong this time?

"I have no idea what you're talking about so I'm going to end this call! I will text you the location in a moment,"

Before he could ever express anything more, a beep sound already could be heard as his friend already ended the call, "You lil brat," He scoffed as he threw his phone on the bed beside him.

It continues for about 15 minutes of waiting until his phone produced a sound, displaying a message on the screen. At long last, the address has been sent to him but... this place somehow looks familiar to Daehwi, though? Wait... no way.

Oh God, what the hell these two have done to Daehwi?

At the end, Daehwi found himself standing right in front of the place where Yuri worked as a barista here. It's the cafe he used to go whenever they wanted to have a study group. Can't they find any other better places than here?

Just let's not talk about the number of people existed in the park at the moment. Daehwi knew the park tonight will be having shooting stars show so basically, all the universe lovers gathered together to witness it

Why must it be today out of all days

The latter had taken a deep breath before he entered the cafe with a nervous step, "Welcome to Diamond---," Yuri's eyes widened to see Daehwi appeared behind the cracking of opening door, "Daehwi?" Her face brightened up to catch a glimpse of a familiar face, "What are you doing here?"

Daehwi walked towards the counter, gulping down to clear his throat before started to scan the menu located above Yuri's head, "Can I have one Caramel Macchiato?" He ordered himself a drink without waiting for any instructions neither from Jinyoung nor Chaewon. 

He knows he already screwed it up knowing that he will be confessing his feelings here. How was he obliged to tell Yuri that he likes her in her workplace with her colleagues around? Most likely, he could already imagine the secondhand embarrassment he would be having tonight.

"Take your seat first," She advised him, "I will deliver your drink to your table," Yuri insisted but Daehwi looked like he was reluctant about it as he stayed at the counter, waiting till his drink being served, "I won't do your drink until you go and take your seat," She sounds sterned and the boy couldn't say no to it anymore.

The latter walked away from Yuri and took a seat right beside the window as that's where he usually sits whenever he comes here. He would say he came here quite frequently since he knew the girl. In spite of that, the cafe, to begin with, has been his favourite place. It serves the best Caramel Macchiato.

He looked around but there's no one around him except himself and Yuri. Did Jinyoung apparently prepare all of these? For him to be in this place, alone with the girl? Well, that would be kind of weird but his mind couldn't stop thinking about it.

As his phone vibrates, Daehwi naturally took out his phone from the pocket jeans and unlocked it using the password he set before, "Jinyoung?" He frowned to recognize the boy's name appeared on the screen when he could actually expect it to be him.

Since he's the only one who would contact him at the particular moment.

"How's it going?"

His eyebrows furrowed upon reading the message, "What do you mean by okay?" He rolled his eyes, obviously annoyed with the question sought by his friend. Daehwi was about to type something as a reply when a gentle voice disrupted him.

"Did you do that?" The girl asked as she stared outside the windows. Daehwi elevated his head up, looking at the girl who was standing beside the table where he sat before darted his eyes towards the direction she looked at.

Daehwi couldn't help but to allow his eyes widened when he saw the sticker pasted on the window, "Wh---," He lost his words and rationality at the same time, "Well," The latter seemed like he could grasp the situation he's in but he wondered when the stickers ever existed there. It wasn't there a moment ago, though.

When Daehwi didn't declare anything for the past few minutes and he let Yuri stood there like a fool, she pouted her lips, totally wasn't pleased with the boy in front of her, "Lee Daehwi, I asked you if it's you who did it or not?" She complained.

"Yes?" Daehwi goes blank to see such expression plastered on Yuri's face. It doesn't look like she detests it, though. What's that expression supposed to mean then?

Yuri's lips curved slightly upwards upon his answer, "So, you want to say you like me don't you?" Her eyes fell towards the sticker pasted on the window, with the words 'I like you, Jo Yuri', and smiled even brighter than before.

"No," He quickly shook his head, "Wait, yes," He stuttered, "Oh God, what am I even doing here?" Daehwi flustered, a lot as he didn't comprehend on what he needs to say or even what the hell he was doing over her. He should be confessing but what's with all of these messes?

She occupied the vacant seat in front of the boy before heaved out a sigh, "Do you like me or not, Lee Daehwi?" Yuri asked, gathering all of the courage she did not once have in the past. By hook or by crook, she needs his answer today. It will be a fool for her to wait another days, weeks, months or years for him to utter those words.

"What if I said I do like you? What will that be going to make us be then?" Daehwi tightly clamped his lips together, gnawing his lower lips whenever his eyes met hers, "Are you going to hate me then?" His voice getting slow when he revealed those.

The girl let a small chuckle escaped her lips, "Why would I hate you, Daehwi?" She urged, "I think I should be thankful to you because at the very least, I know there's someone out there genuinely cares for me, loves me for whom I am and accept the lacking me," Yuri confessed her true feelings, "Seriously, thank you, Lee Daehwi for making me be someone worthy to live in this world. Thank you for liking me,"

"So, is that mean we're dating now?" Daehwi awkwardly asked because he thought it was an inappropriate question to ask but still, that's the only words came across his mind at the moment.

Yuri shrugged her shoulders before she stood up, "Well, whatever you think it is to be," She informed him, "I need to go and resume my work, make sure you take off the sticker before my manager sight it," The girl flashed a smile before abandoning the boy behind with a cup of Caramel Macchiato on the table.