Ch. 2

[✔]Not Your Typical Love Scenario (a zhengkun short story)

Zhengting received a nice surprise the following Tuesday. The rookies that Zhengting was teaching practiced enough that they successfully danced for the music video. The CEO of the company was so impressed with how Zhengting managed to teach them a hard choreography in less than three weeks, he gave him a promotion to head choreographer. Zhengting asked if Chaoze could get a promotion as well since he did help choreograph half of the dance. The CEO agreed and promoted Chaoze, making him and Zhengting both main choreographers. They went out to a cafe to celebrate. Zhengting got an iced dark chocolate mocha and Chaoze got a caffè mistó. They sat down at the table in front of the window.

 

“I love you so much Zhengting! Thank you so much for giving me that promotion. I really appreciate it.”

“Anything for my best friend.” Zhengting smiled.

“Aweee...you’re the best. I can’t wait to get the money, I need to pay off my car. If I didn’t earn enough money in a few weeks, my car would be-” Zhengting cut off Chaoze by shhh-ing him. He pointed to a table on the other side of the cafe. There was a person Zhengting didn’t recognize and beside the person was someone who Zhengting least expected to see, Yanchen.

 

“Ew, it’s Yanchen and another guy…” Chaoze gasped. “Wait, do you think that’s his boyfriend?” Zhengting nodded. “Damn he looks good.” Zhengting slapped Chaoze. “OW!”

“You will not say my ex’s boyfriend looks good.” Yanchen glanced over at the two, then quickly turned back to the other guy. “Great. Now he knows we’re here. Let’s leave.”

Chaoze shook his head. “Nu-uh. I paid for this drink so I’m going to finish it.”

“Ugh fine, just make it quick.” After Zhengting said that, Chaoze took his time finishing off his coffee. “Stop being so petty.”

“It’s in my DNA, I can’t get rid of it.” Chaoze said, shrugging. “And anyway, I'm counting how many times Yanchen looks over at us. I'm up to 38 times.” Zhengting opened his mouth to speak, but Chaoze kept talking. “Yes, he has been looking over here. If you would stop whining, you would notice.” Chaoze drained his drink. “Okay let’s go.”

 

They walked out of the cafe without looking at Yanchen and the guy although Zhengting looked back once to see Yanchen laughing at something the guy said. Zhengting frowned

“Man that was interesting, don’t you think?” Chaoze turned around. “No. Don’t get that look that you had three months ago. Please don’t go down that path again, think happy thoughts.” Zhengting grimaced. Chaoze was right. Zhengting put a small smile on his face.

“Best friend ever!”

“You know it.”

“Hey do you think I could sleep at your place tomorrow night? I’m going to be alone because Quanzhe and XInchun are meeting Yanchen’s boyfriend.” Chaoze nodded.

“Of course. Now let’s go home, I’m getting tired.” They set off into the direction of their houses.

 

On Thursday evening, Zhengting got to hear all about Yanchun’s boyfriend from Quanzhe and Xinchun.

“His name is Ruibin and he’s really nice. He gave gave us new earrings and candy.” Xinchun said, head turned sideways to show his minion earrings.

“He’s a great person to have a conversation with. We told him all about the drama at school and things that we had on our mind. He gave his opinion on the topics and it was interesting to hear what he had to say.” Quanzhe said, enthusiasm laced in his voice.

“That’s great guys. See there’s nothing to worry about.” Zhengting said. Well at least not on your end. It feels like this Ruibin is taking over my role as a parent.

 

Soon enough it was Saturday and they went to the fair. They arrived at around lunchtime. Zhengting bought Quanzhe and Xinchun wristbands so that they could ride anything they wanted to ride. Zhengting hates amusement rides so he just sits and wait for Xinchun and Quanzhe to finish the rides. When Xinchun and Quanzhe got off of the Genesis they started to get hungry.

“Dad can we get some food?” Xinchun asked. “I saw a stand with ribbon fries and they look good. And Quanzhe wants this huge turkey leg, it’s probably as big as his head.”

“Hey!” Quanzhe playfully shoved Xinchun.

 

“Yeah I’m starting to get hungry as well. Yeah we can get some food.” Zhengting proceeded to buy Quanzhe the turkey leg, Xinchun’s ribbon fries, a calzone for himself, and a lemonade for them to share.They sat under a covered picnic table right in front of the Ferris wheel.

“Thank you dad. Mmh this is good.” Quanzhe said, mouth full.

“Eat with your mouth closed. You have grease all over your face, let me help.” Zhengting wiped off the turkey grease from Quanzhe’s mouth. “How are your fries Xinchun?” Xinchun gave a thumbs up. “Good. Do you want anything else to eat?”

“Can we have cotton candy?” Xinchun’s eyes were hopeful.

“Yes of course, cotton candy is necessary when going to the fair. Blue I presume?” The twins nodded. “Okay you guys stay right here since you’re still finishing up and I’ll get the cotton candy Zhengting got up and headed over to the sweets stand.

 

After a few minutes, Xinchun and Quanzhe finished their food.

“I’m finished and so are you. Let’s go look at some games they have here.” Xinchun stood up.

“Are you sure we can do this?” Quanzhe asked.

“Yeah! We’re old enough to go by ourselves for a little bit. Plus, if we get lost we can always find our way back here. C’mon what’s there to worry about?”

“Nothing I guess.” Quanzhe stood up. “Where should we go?”

“I saw a stand further down that has big stuffed animals.” Xinchun and Quanzhe walked down the crowded path, forgetting to remember where they were sitting