Ch. 5

[✔]Not Your Typical Love Scenario (a zhengkun short story)

“I can’t believe we know Xukun. It’s hard to believe.” Xinchun said, looking out at the sea.

“It is. Maybe he’ll become our other dad.” Quanzhe suggested.

“What do you mean?” Xinchun sat up.

“Well I mean he won’t replace dad. Maybe he could be a new one like Ruibin. I’ve been observing dad and Xukun and there’s something there, in both of them. They just need to dig a little to find that connection.” Xinchun nodded, impressed.

“Hey let’s go in the water. We can look for more shells.”

“But dad said not to.”

 

“Well they aren’t paying attention anyways.” Xinchun gestured to the two adults, deep in conversation. “And look what happened when we went on our own at the fair. We met Xukun and he hung out with us. Gathering shells is like our gift to him.” Quanzhe bit his lip, hesitant. He really didn’t want to go against his dad’s words again but he can’t really say no to his brother. Xinchun was right in a way. They did benefit from Xinchun’s plan but it was luck.

Quanzhe sighed. “Okay fine. But let’s just do it for 10 minutes. I really don’t want to get in trouble again. I mean we got our phones taken up for a month.”

“Yeah yeah. Let’s go.” The twins waded into the water. “You go on the left side and I’ll go on the right.”

 

Quanzhe followed his brother’s instructions. After a few minutes of searching, Quanzhe found nothing. He stepped further in, still looking. He was too focused on finding the sea’s treasures, Quanzhe didn’t see a huge log that was at the floor of the ocean. He tripped and submerged into the water.

 

Breathe. No don’t. Hold your breath. You’re gonna pass out. Drown or pass out?  It doesn’t matter anyway. I’m going to die. But maybe I can stay alive? Keep swimming. Don't sink. Well… it’s too late for that.

 

Quanzhe’s eyes opened. It was blurry but he could make out that he was getting further from the surface. He closed his eyes. He could feel that he was losing consciousness. In the last moments he had, Quanzhe mentally thanked everyone in his life. After he ‘said goodbye’, Quanzhe breathed out, releasing the air from his mouth. Then he took in a big mouthful of water. Quanzhe thought he hit the seafloor. Warmth was coming from something soft. Quanzhe leaned into the warmth. He slipped into darkness.


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

beep...beep...beep

 

 

 

 

 

 

Quanzhe heard the faint beeping of a machine. He was still looking at the darkness. He opened his eyes. He was in a bed, with needles and tubes put into him. The room had white walls, a window that looked over the city. Next to the window there were three chairs, all of them were occupied.

“Xinchun? Dad? Xukun?...” Quanzhe’s voice was hoarse. His throat burned.

“Q-Quanzhe?” Xinchun ran over to Quanzhe. “Oh my gosh! I’m so sorry. I put you in danger. I should’ve listened to you. I told dad what happened. Xukun saved you. He’s a good swimmer.”

“Quanzhe!” Zhengting was right behind Xinchun. He hugged him. “I thought I lost you. Please, don’t go against my words again.” Quanzhe nodded. “Xinchun is right. Xukun did save you. I think you owe him an apology and a thank you.” Zhengting motioned to Xukun that is was okay to come over.

 

“Xukun, I’m sorry. I worried you and put yourself in danger for me. Thank you for saving my life. Twice.”

“It’s okay. In the time that I’ve been able to hang out with you guys, I would do anything to protect you guys.” Xukun opened his arms for a hug, Quanzhe embraced him. “And we can’t not include Xinchun and your dad. Come over here.” The two came over and joined the hug. After a few moments, they released the hug.

“Guys I have a question for you. Would you like it if Xukun spends more time with us?” Zhengting was closer to Xukun, he had his hands on Xukun’s arm. Quanzhe and Xinchun shared a look. Quanzhe was right.

 

“Yeah of course!” Zhengting and Xukun looked at each other and smiled. Then kissed Zhengting on the cheek.

“Aww… that is so cute!” Xinchun exclaimed, mocking what Zhengting did earlier to Quanzhe. Zhengting’s face flushed. “Now you know what Quanzhe felt.” Xinchun and Quanzhe laughed, Xukun looked confused.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

“...he saved Quanzhe. That’s why he’s in a cast.” Xinchun explained to his father.

“So who is this Xukun?” Yanchen asked, eyebrows raised.

“Cai Xukun. He’s a professional model. He’s modeled for all the top brands like Gucci, Supreme, Saks Fifth Avenue. He got scholarships for for 10,000 people who wanted to go to modeling school but couldn’t afford the scholarship. I think Xukun is dating dad.” Yanchen stopped eating.

“Interesting… excuse me for a little bit.” Yanchen put down his napkin and left the table.

“Yanchen! Finish eating!” Ruibin yelled after him but he didn’t care. Yanchen went into his room, into the back of his closet, put in a code, went down the stairs that appeared and into a room that looked like a vault. He punched one of the metal walls.

 

“God damnit! How the hell did Zhengting get a professional model as a boyfriend. I bet he’s ugly as . Let me look him up. Alexa, show me a picture of Cai Xukun, the professional model.” Alexa pulled up a picture of Xukun on Yanchen’s TV. He hair was dyed blonde , wearing a blue jacket and a fishnet shirt underneath.

“Argh! He’s almost as handsome as me. I’ve got to destroy him.” Yanchen walked further into the vault. He picked up a tablet (iPad) and started to code something. “Number I-46 step forward.” The cyborg stepped forward from the line of the other cyborgs. “You will be known as Xu Shengen. Your mission is to find Cai Xukun, then when I give you the signal you must terminate him. Do you understand?”

“Yes Yanchen.”

 

“Good. Leave out the back way. Start looking for him. Report back to me so that I can get his location and spy on him. This is what he looks like.” Yanchen sent Shengen the image of Justin. Shengen nodded his head.

“Ruibin.” Yanchen called through a microphone. “Are the children in bed?”

“Yes Yanchen.”

“Come down to the lab. I’ve got something for you to do.” In a minute, Rubin was standing in front of Yanchen. “Ruibin, I need for you to spy on Xukun and Zhengting. See if they’re together or not. Report back to me daily. Don’t forget to make dinner for me every night.”

“But Yanchen-” Yanchen pushed a button on his tablet. Ruibin froze for a few moments then was moving again. His eyes turned red for a few seconds then turned back to his ‘normal’ eye color.

“Don’t go against me Ruibin, or should I say A-26.”

“Yes Yanchen.”

“I mean you get the luxury of being above ground, you get to sleep in a bed. So be grateful. Okay that’s all I wanted to tell you. You can go, you start tomorrow.” Yanchen patted Rubin’s cheek. Ruibin clenched his jaw but left the lab. “Xukun you’ll be destroyed and Zhengting will come back to me.” Yanchen smirked.

 

 

Tbh, I didn't really expect for the ending to turn out this way ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Thanks for reading