Ch. 1

[✔]Not Your Typical Love Scenario (a zhengkun short story)

“5, 6, 7, 8.” Zhengting counted off, stepping back, watching the group start their dance routine. “Relax Luo Zheng… Get closer Yanlei… You’re half a beat early Kaihao.” After a few hours of Zhengting giving constructive criticism and teaching parts of the dance over again, he released them for the day. “Keep working on those moves. You’re a week away from the music video shooting.”

 

“Thank you teacher ZT. We’ll practice and work harder.” Qin Fen said, bowing. He motioned for the group to head out of the studio. Zhengting sighed, grabbed his bag, turned off the lights, and walked out. 

“Zhengting!” Zhengting turned around to find his best friend bent over, catching his breath.

“Hey Chaoze. I would have thought you don’t have need to catch your breath since you dance so much. But who knows you’re really odd.”

Chaoze smiled. “I dance really well and I don’t breathe that hard. But when running I have to catch my breath. Dancing and running are two different things. Duh.”

“You are such an idiot. Yes dancing and running are two different things but they both have something to do with- y’know I’m not even going to go there, it’s a waste of my time. And anyway why are you panting? Your classroom is literally next door to mine- wait don’t answer that.”

 

“Damn you’re mad. What’s that about? The rookies? Yanchen?” Chaoze’s voice turned serious.”

“Both. More of the rookies. I had to teach them more than half of the dance over again. The last time we met up, they could do the whole dance. Now it’s like they just learned it. And I’m afraid that they won't be able to film the music video, it’s less than a week away!” Zhengting groaned. “And yes Yanchen texted me earlier today. He wants Quanzhe and Xinchun to meet his new boyfriend. I can’t keep them from meeting him but I wish I could. I have no idea who he is or what he looks like so don't ask.”

 

“Ohh… I can see why you’re pissed. Well I would love to meet Yanchen’s boyfriend.”

“Shut up. Anyway, I’ve got to get Quanzhe and Xinchun. I’ll talk to you later.” Zhengting headed out of the building and started his 2018 Lincoln MKX. He drove until he came to an elementary school. He walked into the school cafeteria to see many kids sitting at tables working on homework and talking to each other. Zhengting scanned over the kids until he found a group of kids sitting at the table next to the windows. He walked over to the group.

 

“Xinchun, Quanzhe, I’m here.” Xinchun looked up and smiled. 

“Dad!” He ran over and hugged Zhengting. Quanzhe came over right behind Xinchun.

“Did you guys lean a lot?”

“Yeah! We know how to do simple multiplication! It’s fun.” 

“That’s good. Well we’ve got to get going.”

“Wait!” Zhengting turned around to see a little black-haired girl wearing a neon green long sleeve shirt. She ran up to Quanzhe and poked his cheek. Quanzhe was frozen for a moment then he started to blush. 

“Aww that is so cute!” Zhengting squealed like a fan girl.

“Dad, please don’t do this to me.” Quanzhe lowered his head. 

“Fine fine. I’m so glad you have such good friends. We’ve got to go though, I need to make dinner for us. Say goodbye to your friends.”

“Bye Jieqiong, Yixing, Dinghao and Jeffery!” Xinchun and Quanzhe chorused. Their friends waved goodbye.

 

Zhengting drove to their three-story house while listening to Xinchun and Quanzhe’s interesting conversations ranging from why Swiper from Dora needs to be appreciated to whether this guy named Yanjun likes Zhangjing.When they got in the house, their fluffy white dog named Dahua ran up to the twins and started them. They giggled and ran off to the living room with Dahua in tow. Zhengting shook his head, laughing. He filled a pot with water, set it on the stove and the heat. He sighed, he needed to reply to Yanchen. 

 

(a/n- the usernames are what they put for each other in their phones)

 

 

 

yanchen:(

I would like Xinchun and Quanzhe to come over soon to meet my boyfriend

 

ughZhengting

Sure, anytime next week is fine. Who is your boyfriend?

 

yanchen:(

You jealous?

 

ughZhengting

Psht! Never. I was just curious. After all I should know who is going to meet Quanzhe and Xinchun so…

 

yanchen:(

Not going to tell you. You’ll find out eventually. How about Thursday night? No, Xinchun has violin lessons. Wednesday night?

 

ughZhengting

Wow okay be all petty. You finally know Xinchun and Quanzhe’s schedules. Go yanchen! Sure that will work

 

yanchen:(

I am not petty. Shut up, I know their schedules. Good. Wait why is my name lowercase?

Zhengting?

Read at 6:15 pm

You left me on read?!

Fine be like that. See you whenever.

 

Zhengting groaned, he wasn't asking for any of Yanchen’s sass. He just wanted to have a normal conversation. Zhengting is pretty reluctant to let Quanzhe and Xinchun meet Yanchen’s boyfriend but Yanchen has the same rights as him when dealing with Quanzhe and Xinchun. After all, it would be the same case if Zhengting had a boyfriend (which he doesn't). He doesn’t understand how Yanchen got a boyfriend so fast when they separated three months ago. Zhengting isn’t jealous at all. Okay he admits that he’s a little jealous, but wouldn’t you be? Your good looking ex having a mysterious boyfriend that probably look way better than you. Life is so unfair.

 

Zhengting waited until the water was boiling then he put in the spaghetti noodles. He took a pan, filled it with tomato sauce in a jar then put it on medium heat on the stove. He put some hamburger into the sauce and cooked the meat with the sauce. After everything was done, Zhengting drained the noodles, got three plates, put the noodles on the plate, put sauce over it and carried it to the dinner table. 

 

“Quanzhe! Xinchun! Dinner’s ready!” Zhengting brought over Dahua’s dinner (Blue Buffalo dog food with some spaghetti mixed in) and put it in between Quanzhe and Xinchun’s chairs. The two came in with smiles on their faces They sat down and waited for Zhengting and Dahua to sit at their food before they started eating.

“I’m interested in the conversation you had earlier. Who’s Yanjun?”

“Oh he’s one of our new friends. He moved here about three weeks ago. He’s good looking.” Xinchun smiled. “We can tell that he likes Zhangjing. We’re trying to get them together.”

 

Zhengting nodded his head. “Ah I see. Hey I wanted to say something to both of you.” He took a deep breath. “I’m so sorry. I haven’t been around as much as I need to. I feel like I’m not a responsible parent. Xinchun, I missed your orchestra concert. Quanzhe, I missed your art competition. I’ll try to be better.”

“Dad it’s okay, we know how hard you work both as a choreographer as well as a dad to us. You try your best! It’s fine because you’re trying to make it better.” Quanzhe said, Xinchun nodded.

“Thanks guys, you’re the best kids anyone could have.” Zhengting sniffed, wiping his tears onto his sleeves of his jacket. “I know I don’t have to, but let me make it up to you guys. The fair is in town next week so I was thinking we could go to that.”

“Really? We’ve been discussing about asking you to go to it. Thanks dad!” Xinchun got out of his seat and hugged Zhengting. 

Zhengting smiled. “You’re welcome. Now let’s clean our dishes and get ready for bed.”

 

Zhengting helped Xinchun and Quanzhe put their rinsed off dishes into the dishwasher, helped take a bath, put on pajamas, and tucked them in to bed. 

“Oh I forgot to mention something. On Wednesday you’ll get to meet your dad’s boyfriend “ Zhengting said, wiping some ‘dust’ off of the nightstand in between the two queen beds.

“I hope he’s nice. Will he be nice?” Quanzhe asked.

“I’ve never met him so I can’t judge what he’ll be like but I think he should be fairly nice, don’t worry about it.” Zhengting kissed Quanzhe’s fore head then Xinchun’s. “Goodnight guys. Sweet dreams.”

 

 Zhengting sighed when he closed their bedroom door. He doesn’t know what to expect when Quanzhe and Xinchun meet Yanchen’s boyfriend. He could be a criminal, a murderer or something worse. On the other hand, he could be a caring guy that will treat Xinchun and Quanzhe. Zhengting’s mind was swimming with theories about Yanchen’s boyfriend. Zhengting decided to go to sleep with these thoughts, not caring whether or not he was going to have a nightmare about Yanchen’s boyfriend. He just wanted some sleep.