Ch. 3

[✔]Not Your Typical Love Scenario (a zhengkun short story)

“Xukun stop being a scaredy cat and ride with us.” Xingjie said, signaling for Xukun to follow him on the ride.

“I’ve said no millions of times. I don’t like rides that are 32 feet up in the air and that spin you upside down. If you didn't know, I’M AFRAID OF HEIGHTS. Some friends. Stop forcing me .”

“You're the ‘cause you won’t ride this ride.” ChengCheng said, laughing.

“Even Zhenghao is riding it and he gets afraid easily.” Zeren pointed out. Xukun flipped them off then started walking the other direction.

“Shut up. Just so you know, I’m your ride home.” Xukun wandered around the fair, observing what kinds of things were at the booths. He came to a stop in front of a game booth when he saw two kids looking confused and lost, their eyes red and puffy.

 

“Hey are you guys okay?” The blonde one flinched back with surprise.

“I’m sorry mister but we can’t talk to strang- wait you look familiar… Oh my god! It’s Xukun! The professional model who got scholarships for 10,000 people aspiring to become models. We admire what you’ve done. Quanzhe it’s alright it’s THE Xukun.” The blonde haired male named Quanzhe looked up into Xukun’s eyes for a few moments then smiled.

“I’m glad that I have some young fans. I know you’re Quanzhe, what’s your name?”

“Omg. Where are my manners? I’m Xinchun.”

“Xinchun and Quanzhe are cool names. How old are you guys?”

“We’re fraternal twins, we’re both six.”

“Are you guys alone?”

 

“No. We got lost and we can’t contact our dad. His phone is probably dead, that’s why he’s not answering. I’ll try calling again.” Quanzhe pulled out his phone. Damn, the six year old has an iPhone X while I still have an iPhone 5. “Nope, nothing.”

“Well that’s bad. How about I hang out with you guys until we can find your dad.” The twins nodded their heads. “Do you have anything that you want to do?”

“We have our eyes on two plushies at that stand over there but we don’t have any money.”

“Well let’s go win you guys those plushies.” Xukun offered his hands to the twins, which they accepted.

 

They headed down to the stand. There were ‘fish’ opening and closing their mouths.

“How much to play?” Justin asked the person running the stand.

“10 dollars (a/n- just roll with it) for 15 catches.” Justin handed the person 10 dollars. “Okay so you you take a fishing pole and try to get the end of it into the fish’s mouth. The fish will latch onto the rod then you pull the rod back to get the fish off the line. Inside the fish there is a sticker with a number. That number is how many points you earned for that catch. After you use all of your catches, we total the points up and give you choices on what you can get. Hint- the faster the fish opens and closes its mouth, the amount of points go up. Good luck.”

 

“Okay Quanzhe help me find the fishes that open and close their mouths fast. Xinchun, when I catch one, take it off the rod and see how many points we got. As I start to catch more, add the points up.”

“Got it!” The twins said in unison.

“Let’s win.” For the next 10 minutes, Quanzhe was constantly yelling, Xinchun was calculating the total on his iPhone calculator, and Xukun was rapidly catching fish. They ran out of catches and started to see how they did.

 

“We’ve got 480 points!” Xinchun squealed. Xukun gathered up all the fish into the basket provided and went to the person who ran the booth. After making sure the amount was right, the person led them to a range of colorful stuffed toys.

“Since you got 480 points you have a few options. One- you can get one of the four foot plushies. Two- you can get two jumbo sized ones. Three- you can get three medium sized ones.”

 

“Two jumbo plushies.” Xukun turned to Quanzhe and Xinchun. “Which ones do you want?”

“I want the minion and Quanzhe wants the hamster.” The attendant grabbed a hook attached to a rod, lifted off the minion and the hamster, and handed them to the twins.”

“Thank you!” Quanzhe said, the attendant smiled. Xukun, Quanzhe and Xinchun walked away with their new toys.

“That was so fun! Thank you for winning us these. We have to win you something. What game should we play?” Xinchun scanned the booths. “Aha! That one.” He was pointing to a booth that had ducks floating in a small pool. Xinchun pulled Quanzhe and Xukun over in the direction of the booth.

 

It was a day full of fun. For the three. Xinchun and Quanzhe won small stuffed ducks for Xukun. Quanzhe wanted a fish and soon after Xinchun wanted one as well. Xukun won two blue and black fish for them. At the end of all that excitement, they got three churros and sat down at a bench near the water fountain.

“So you guys said that you admire my work, ever think about becoming a model?”

 

Quanzhe nodded his head. “I love posing for photos. But it’s not just that. When you model you get to learn about different techniques on how you model and when you get to travel abroad you get to to meet new people from all over the world. Xinchun is also interested in the modeling industry but not in front of a camera. He wants to be a clothing designer. He always chooses our clothes that are currently in style. He also chooses what my dad wears everyday.”

 

“Oh my god. How long has it been since you’ve gotten lost? We need to find your dad. I bet he’s-” Xukun got cut off from his worrying when Xinchun ran over and hugged a guy wearing a pink sweatshirt and dark skinny jeans, holding a bag of blue cotton candy. His eyes were red, suggesting that he had been crying. Quanzhe looked up, saw the man and ran over to him and Xinchun.

 

“Dad!” Xukun casually walked over to the three, his hands full of the things that they won.

“Guys what happened? I told you to stay right there. Oh my gosh, don’t scare me like that again! I’m glad you’re safe. Are you hurt?” The man looked over Quanzhe and Xinchun, seeing if there was anything wrong with them.

“Dad we’re okay. You know the model we idolize?” The man nodded. “He’s the one who took care of us when we got lost.” The man looked up at Xukun, tears of happiness and relief building up in his eyes.

“Thank you so much. I don’t know what to say…”

“Maybe introduce yourself dad.” Xinchun butted in.

 

“Oh right sorry.” The man blushed. “I’m Zhu Zhengting, the father of Quanzhe and Xinchun. Thank you for keeping my kids safe. I don’t know how to how to repay you.”

“You’re very welcome. I enjoyed their company. We had lots of fun. Oh and I haven’t formally introduced myself. I’m Cai Xukun. You don’t have to owe me anything. It’s fine.”

“Nice to meet you Xukun. I know that I don’t have to but I need to make it up to you. What should I do?”

 

“Let’s go to the beach. We can have a picnic on the beach!” Quanzhe stated.

“Do you like the beach?” Zhengting asked Xukun.

“Yeah I find it enjoyable.”

Zhengting nodded. “Do you like Char Siu Bao? Dumplings?”

“Yes, they’re really delicious.”

“Then that’s what I’ll make. Would next Friday at 11 work?” Xukun nodded. “Great. Here let me put my number into your phone so we can contact each other.”

 

After they put their numbers in, Zhengting smiled.

“Thank you again, I’ll be saying that to you until I die.” Xukun laughed. “I guess the kids enjoyed hanging out with their role model. Right guys?” Xinchun and Quanzhe nodded. Quanzhe opened his arms for Zhengting to pick him up. Zhengting complied, picking Quanzhe up. “That means it’s time to go.”

“Your hands are full, let me carry these things,” Xukun gestured to the prizes and fishes. “out to your car.”

 

Zhengting was about to protest when Xinchun interrupted.

“Dad you’ve done too much, let Xukun help.” Xukun holding the prizes in one arm and holding Xinchun’s hand in the other, followed Zhengting and Quanzhe to their car. Xukun put the prizes in the back of the car then put the fishes in the front seat and ‘buckled’ them in. Zhengting put Quanzhe and Xinchun into their car seats.

“Thank you again, Xukun. We’ll see you next Friday.”

 

Xukun walked back to the entrance of the fair where he found his friends, looking like they were about to pass out.

“Hey guys. How’s it going?” Xukun laughed.

“Eating fried Oreos then going on the Raven isn't a good idea.” ChengCheng said, falling to the ground.

“What have you been doing?” Zhenghao asked.

“Well… I met some kids who were lost, I played games with them, found their dad I think he's single, and now I’m going to the beach with them next Friday.”

“Damn, you have a better social life than I have.” Xingjie said.

 

“Wait- a single dad?” Zeren asked, squinting his eyes. “What’s his name?”

“Zhu Zhengting.”

Zeren gasped “Zhu Zhengting?!”

“Do you know him…?” Xukun asked.

“Um hell yeah. Well not personally. He’s the lead, well now main choreographer at Sapphire Entertainment. He’s really good. He got the rookie group, TNV, into shape for their debut music video. You’re so lucky. Oh I hear he’s flexible.” Zeren wiggled his eyebrows.

“Shut up you . Now let’s stop standing here and get you guys home. I'm tired af.” The group agreed and headed to Xukun’s car.