Chapter 1

A deep void

Taehyung checked the time on his phone but his mind did not register any of the numbers written on his phone's screen, his body was too tired, he was too tired. 

The rays of light shining through the fade curtains of his gloomy room marked the end of dawn and the start of the day. He didn't want the sun to rise that particular day, he wanted to shut himself in his room and lay in bed all day long, maybe step out to the balcony from time to time in case the surrounding walls started suffocating him.

Although sleeping all day long was a pretty healthy thing to do considering the fact that the last time he got a good night's sleep was weeks ago, it was not going to get him anywhere, neither was it going to make what he was in deep need of at that moment, money. 

He was low on budget, and it was not the ideal time to have an empty fridge because his next pay was not anytime soon, and he was the only one with a so-called job in that house.

A house where 9 runaway people lived. Some were teens who escaped from their houses at an early age due to abusive families, others were there because they had no family in the first place and needed a roof to live under. As for Taehyung, he preferred joining them rather than living in the streets after he ran away from his adoptive parents who lived in the country side. 

Through the years, they've all grown closer to become like a family. They went through everything together, unpaid debts, thief break-ins... He could see through the smiles they plastered on their faces to make it through the day, he could see the missing parts of their hearts, their souls in despair, mourning their long-to-be-dead youth. He didn't blame any of them, it was miserable, their life was miserable.

Taehyung knew that none of them were pleased with their current situation, he wasn't either, and he couldn't recall the last time he was, but there was still a flare of faith and happiness in them. A tiny light proving that there was always space for delight, and that there were better days to come. 

He placed all of his hopes on that shining spark in his soul, hoping that someday he would be able to restore it at it's full form. He was always positive, even during the days when his face warned everyone not to approach him. 

He pushed the bed sheets with his feet and rose from his bed, marking the start of another day of his happiness quest. 

He made his way to the bathroom when he met Sooah, the youngest of the house who was usually asleep at that time, but looked like she was about to head out. 

'Morning, was not expecting to see you at this time of the day.' Taehyung said in a perpetually tired voice, as he rubbed his eyes with his sleeves.

'Well, I figured that it was about time I get myself together and start being an early riser, y'know, a change in hope of a healthier lifestyle.' Sooah replied with a burgeoning excitement radiating off her vivid hand gestures she used to emphasis on everything she said. A wild vivacity was in her face and manner.

Taehyung was always up for a change, but he couldn't help but be bothered with the upbeat and overjoyed behavior of Sooah who spent nights scraping money out of old men's pockets thanks to her good looks and came back less lively than a corpse at around 3am.  

He shook the negative feeling away and assumed that he should copy Sooah rather than question her choice, so he decided to make a healthy change himself and ride his bicycle to work in lieu of the bus.

He ended the brief conversation he had with Sooah and headed outside after giving a few quick to his bicycle with a wet tissue to remove the spider webs that smothered all over it throughout the months it was left unused.

A few minutes later, after leaving the area around his house with which he was familiar, Taehyung came to the realization that he did not know which way his workplace was. The fact that he took the same route each day for the previous 2 years did nothing but remind him that he always fell asleep on the bus. 

He acknowledged his mistake, hesitated whether he should just make a u-turn, go back home and call in sick for the day, but he decided against it when his instinct told him to turn left, so he did.

10 minutes later, Taehyung was completely lost, but he wasn't one to blame, at least that's what he convinced himself. His workplace was a good hour away from his house which explained why he woke up so early, and the streets were terribly quite and empty at that time so there was nobody to ask for directions. 

Copying Sooah was not quite a good idea after all. Taehyung kept pedaling through the narrow streets when a door suddenly opened causing him to stop. A woman in her thirties came out and flinched after seeing Taehyung.

'Oh my gosh you startled me!' the woman trembled with a hand on her chest as if she was checking if her heart was still beating. 

'Sorry.' Taehyung apologized with a faint smile and a slight bow, he was lost but his manners weren't for sure. 
'May I ask you whether you know where this is?' he continued as he pointed to the address printed on the back of his work card. 

'Oh, yes I do dear, why are you going to a fast food restaurant so early in the morning though?' the woman questioned hesitantly after regaining her posture.

'I work there actually' Taehyung answered, trying to be as formal and polite as he could be.

'I see, why don't you hop into my car since I'm going somewhere near your workplace, I'll give you a ride!' offered the lady with a soft smile on her face. 

Even though the woman seemed very friendly and nice, and he was in desperate need of a ride, getting into a stranger's car was never a good idea, he preferred to skip the offer. 

'Oh no I don't want to inconvenience you, you could just drive and I'll follow you with my bicycle if that's fine with you.' Taehyung rejected politely, without turning the offer down completely.

'Well, you're up for a long ride young man, let's go.' accepted the woman, not wanting to sound pushy as she gestured to her car. 

The lady started the engine and drove away as Taehyung followed her. She glanced at him a few times through the mirror to see if he was keeping up with the pace and Taehyung highly appreciated it since his legs were getting numb from all the pedaling. At some point, he was panting. The lady pulled over to the side and got out of her vehicle. 

'Are you willing to get in this time?' offered the lady again with mild persistence, as she opened the trunk for him to put his bicycle in it. 

She was right, Taehyung was already late to work and it was not worth all of the effort he was putting in. He got off his bicycle -and his high horse- and approached the truck with a controlled smile on his face. 

He fastened his seat belt before the woman, whose name was Laura just as she claimed, drove off. She looked Korean and Taehyung wondered if being born and/or raised in a foreign country was the reason why she had an English name. But he was not going to complain since this lady was doing him a huge favor.

'So,' Laura started in hopes of initiating a conversation to brush the awkward aura off, 'You make burgers.' she continued. That was clearly the last question Taehyung thought she would ask, and it sounded a lot more like a statement rather than a question, which made Taehyung giggle. 

'No not at all,' Taehyung answered before he was cut off. 

'Oh thank god I'm glad you don't, you don't look like someone who makes them either, you must be the manager then, but wait you can't be the manager when you don't even know where your restaurant is, that's weird-' Laura remarked before turning to look at Taehyung with a confused grimace. 

'I mop the floor.' finished Taehyung with false cheerfulness. It was nothing to be proud of, but it was the only thing Taehyung managed to do since he had no qualifications to work in a company or whatsoever. 

The two fell to silence as a sense of guilt was obvious on Laura's face. 

'I don't know much about you Taehyung, but I think you have the potential to maintain a better job.' Laura commented apologetically as she turned right. 

'Yes, maybe, if I was a university graduate student, but I'm not, so mopping the floor is all I can do.' Taehyung declared, meaning the words more seriously than they sounded. 

'Oh c'mon, do you think a university cardboard with your name on it is the only way to get money? I've never had one of those and here you are riding in my classy Mercedes.' Laura said with a bemused smile as she shot Taehyung a wink. 

'Well may I ask what secret technique you used to get where you are today without an academic degree?' Taehyung asked with a wide smile on his face, a real one this time.

Laura was different from the rest of the adults Taehyung knew who all insisted on working hard and studying. She seemed like a teenager at heart, not giving a damn about university or school.

'That's a big thing to ask my friend, a magician never reveals his secrets, but since I'm feeling good today, I might make an exception.' Laura noted loudly, 'I'll tell you, but there's a condition.' she went on. 

'Ask away then' Taehyung offered joyfully. 

'Let me give you a ride back home after you're done with your job, I just want some company and someone to talk to about everything and anything, just fun, no strings attached' Laura replied, big eyes shining with hopefulness.

It was not a very usual thing to ask that was for sure, and Taehyung was not sure how to take it, but she seemed very honest and innocent, she was funny and full of energy too and gave off a mother/friend vibe, something Taehyung was in need of. After a moment of thinking, Taehyung caught up with the fact that going back home was not going to be possible with his bicycle since he didn't know which route to take, and the only person who could drive him back home was Laura, so the condition was in his favor and benefit.

'Deal, I get off at 7pm, does that match your schedule?' Taehyung asked as he rolled the window down. 

'It sure does.' Laura answered confidently. 

'Now would you tell me your secret to success?' Taehyung repeated with a curious tone. 

Laura took a deep breath and gestured Taehyung to come closer, so she could whisper in his ear. So he leaned in as he was told, quietly waiting for her answer.

'Brothel' Laura finally revealed with a smile on her face. 

Taehyung slowly leaned back in his chair, his brain trying to process what it was just told. Laura being a e was the last thing on his mind because she looked nothing like it. Taehyung felt bad for feeling slightly uncomfortable, but he couldn't help the shiver that went down his spine when she whispered in his ear.

'You're a, a  e' Taehyung finally let out after seconds of awkward silence. 

'Oh no honey! You got the wrong idea, I'm not a e, I actually manage es, like a e manager you know, I keep an eye on them, dress them, pick out clients for them... stuff like that.' protested Laura, completely misunderstood.

Things were a bit clearer in Taehyung's mind now, Laura was more on the illegal side of jobs. She looked nothing like it, she had that mainstream mother of a modest family aura with her low ponytail and rosy lipstick smudged on her thin lips.

'We're here.' Laura informed as she snapped her fingers in front of Taehyung's face to wake him up from his daydreaming. 

Taehyung gulped and fluttered his eyelashes at her with a look of confusion drawn on his face. He unbuckled his seat belt and opened the door. He tried his best to walk to the trunk without looking like a stiff doll, but he didn't even get the chance to when Laura drove off without giving him the chance to take his bicycle. 

When she was a few meters away from Taehyung who was getting more bewildered at the sudden action, she pulled over, 'I have to make sure you're going to keep your promise, you'll get your bicycle when I give you a ride back home. Now go mop that floor like a boss!'  Laura yelled before making a peace sign with her hand out of the window and driving off. 

Taehyung thought about the probability of Laura being a kid that somehow aged faster than usual, but he was not good at math so he let that idea go as he headed into the building. 

The last person he wanted to see at that moment appeared right before his eyes by magic, his boss. 

An unpleasant and heavy sensation sat at his heart, he lost count of how many times he arrived late that month after six, and it wouldn't be a surprise if a few dollars were missing from his next pay. He let out a sight before bowing and murmuring a 'I'm late sir' that came out as a well-bred mixture of boldness and respect. 

His boss gave him a cold penetrating look of discontent, usually his next move was a dismissive hand movement to let him know that he's letting it slide, but it didn't look like the case that day. 

'You're not even apologizing Taehyoon.' his boss hissed, obviously not planning to let him leave before a good session of scolding. 

Taehyung fought the urge to correct him for the millionth time that his name was Taehyung and not Taehyoon, and set a reminder somewhere in his mind to just legally change his name to Taehyoon since it was getting too much of a burden to him. But he kept his silence unless he wanted to get fired. 

'I'm sorry, I faced some difficulties on my way here.' justified Taehyung, still holding his bowing position, eyes staring at the floor. 

~

Taehyung's shift ended, he managed to gain his boss's mercy after bowing for a good 5 minutes and did a good job cleaning up to 'make up for it'. 

He got his stuff and went outside, there, Laura was waiting in her car, reapplying her lipstick while looking at the car's mirror. He knocked on the window and Laura literally jumped from her seat, accidentally drawing a red line across her cheek with the lipstick.

She unlocked the door for him. 

'Holy mother! Goodness gracious Taehyung, are you trying to give me a heart attack?' Laura said as she put her hand on her heart like she always does. 

'Maybe you wouldn't have been scared if you weren't so concentrated enhancing your cupid's bow.' Taehyung grinned with slight mockery in his tone as he fastened his seat belt. 

'Thank you for reminding me of the nonexistence of my upper lip, I don't even have tissues to remove this mess on my cheek.' Laura complained as she tried rubbing off the red line on her cheek with her index. 

'Just let it be, who knows, you might start a beauty trend.' Taehyung joked and let out a laugh. 

Laura turned around to face him with the most serious poker face he's ever seen, she just stared at him as the laugh on his face slowly vanished, and he questioned if he said something wrong. The eye contact was getting too intense and Taehyung wondered if they were having an eye contest without his awareness. 

After around 10 seconds that felt like 10 minutes to Taehyung, Laura burst out in laughter and Taehyung felt a twinge of embarrassment. 

'What was that?' Taehyung asked, stressing the last word. 

'That was a joke, something that you seem not to be able to take, loosen up Taehyung, don't take me that seriously.' Laura suggested with a laid-back smile across her face before she drove off. 

It was not like Taehyung could take her seriously with lipstick smeared on her left cheek anyway. 

Laura opened her bag and dived her hand in it searching for something. Her facial expression was enough to tell that whatever she was searching for was not in her bag. 

'Oh god Taehyung, I left my phone back at work,' Laura started and Taehyung did not like where that was heading. 'I really need it, the brothel is not far from here, can we quickly go grab it? It won't be long I promise.' Laura continued and it seemed to Taehyung that he had no choice because she made a u-turn before he could say anything. 

Taehyung couldn't get himself to believe that he was going to a brothel, but it was just for Laura to get her phone and come back, no ulterior motives involved at all, at least that was what he hoped for. 

Not too long after, the two pulled over in front of a quiet classy building, where other few Mercedes and luxury cars were parked.

'Do you want to stay in the car or come in? I'll show you around if you come!' Laura exclaimed as she paused before leaving the car. 

Though the image of himself in a brothel was a bit out of his comfort zone, Taehyung was eager to know what it looked like from the inside, it was not like he was going to hire a e while Laura goes to get her phone. He got reluctant for a second and internally cussed at himself for being so inhibited, he swung the door open and got out of the vehicle too. 

He trailed behind Laura who leaded the way through the fancy automatic doors. 

'This is the main hall.' Laura informed when they first stepped past the front entrance of the lobby. It was neatly decorated, red carpets, white walls with huge paintings on them, and black leather couches that Taehyung guessed were for the clients to sit on while waiting for their turn. 

'The rooms are upstairs, but you don't look like you're keen on taking a look at them, so you can just wait for me here while I go search for my phone, you can walk around all you want, who knows, you might spot someone you like' Laura continued with a teasing smile and a wink before heading to the corridor which was located on the left.

Taehyung made a few steps here and there, analyzing and studying all of the details of the building. Against his thoughts, he did see a lot of es walking around, some were terribly young and Taehyung wondered if they enjoyed what they were doing at such a young age.

He leaned against the wall which faced the stairs that led to the rooms when a group of girls in dresses and ball masks that revealed their eyes only came down. They all shot him glances, and he guessed it was because they've never seen him around.

Until one of the girl's eyes widened when she looked at him, the girl quickly turned her gaze and rushed down following the others. Taehyung couldn't seem to recognize the girl, but he was sure that he's seen her before for her eyes being so familiar. And judging by her reaction, it looked like she knew him too and tried to get away from him before he could recognize her. 

A mild suspicion rose in his soul. 

A few minutes later, Laura came back, happily waving her phone in the air. 

'Ugh it was such a pain to remember where I left it, turns out it was in the bathroom. So, did you see anything you like?' Laura asked as she raised her eyebrow and poked Taehyung in the shoulder with the same teasing smile from before. 

'Nope, but I did see something that made me curious. Not too long ago some girls with fancy dresses and extravagant masks passed by, is there some party going on?' Taehyung answered with pure innocence. 

'Oh, no there's no party. You see, some clients have this thing called a role play kink where they like their es to dress up as cops, nurses, maids... Those dresses were just costumes to fulfill the fantasy needs of some rich old men.' Laura explained simply.

'Oh, okay, what about the girl in the blue dress, do you know who she is?' Taehyung asked once again, genuinely curious about the mysterious vibe she gave off.

'Taehyung just confess that you liked her, why don't we go see them, I'll know her name if I see her' Laura exposed as she dragged Taehyung down the way the group of girls headed before. 

Taehyung followed Laura quietly onto a bigger room, it looked like a house's living room except 5 times bigger. Couches and tables everywhere, huge TVs, a kitchen, and a lot of es just hanging around and chatting. 

'This is where the es stay when they're not working, and I can spot the girls in the dresses right over there in the corner, let's go' Laura said before heading where she pointed.

The es had a more luxurious life than Taehyung would have ever imagined, and he guessed that it was because this brothel was only for rich people. But if they had to get ed by old men every day to get this kind of treatment, he would rather live in his old shabby house and mop the floor. 

Some girls and boys looked with flirty gazes at Taehyung as they made their way to the girls. When the group finally turned around to see the two, a quick look of panic crossed the eyes of the girl in blue. 

'Alright, let's see, this is Mina, Sam, Miso, Sunhee, Chaeril,' Laura started listing the names of the girls, she looked very professional as she could recognize them even under the masks and the heavy makeup around their eyes. It was finally the girl in blue's turn, she looked nervous and frightened which only made Taehyung more curious about her identity. 

'And the one you've been yearning to know, this is Sooah' Laura finished with a pleased smile on her face. 

Taehyung froze in his place. 

Sooah was a e.