Start

Intricate Hunt: Blood and Love

Start

For Kayen, once again.

--

A man in his usual grey suit is seated comfortably on his black leather chair, his fingers playing with the pen in his hand while listening to the plan devised by two of his agents. He listened attentively to the discussion and never once let a vague word get past his ears. But the thing is, he never heard of anything uncertain. Quite frankly, he had anticipated for the two to come up with an excellent plan but he's rather surprised when Chun Wu let Ella Chen explain the details. As far as he can remember, this obstinate top officer of the delta force never let himself be second. He always aim for superiority. Distracted, he let the thought be saved for yet another day's investigation and observation for right now, he needed to scrutinize the scheme these two have devised.

"We opt to take the big house near the edge of the city as the setting," a map appeared on the projector screen and the man in grey suit eventually pictured the location of the house as it has a red X mark.

The satellite view of the house appeared next. It's huge and it will be quite convincing to tell that it's some tyrant's lair. It needs a little polish, though, as it's paint is already faint in color and there's an undeniable volume of dusts inside. Ella waited for the man to nod before she continued.

"I will send someone to clean it up and do the furnishing. As you can see, it's quite isolated and this means that less harm could be done to the neighboring areas. There are no other residents for miles. We will do all the cables and surveillance needed after the cleaning - of course, in disguise. After which, we needed to track down some people. This, pretty much, is the most crucial state as we're completely clueless of where to track them down. Nevertheless, we'll try to do so in a week's time by keen investigation. Rest assured, we'll contact you once we got some valuable informations," Ella ended the delivery of her report. Silence took claim of the conference room where the three are. Chun never looked perturbed. He's staring blankly at the man on the very end of the long, polished table.

He's amazed by the chosen location yet at the same time, wonders how the area could ensure the agent's safety. Surely, it will be safe for the innocence's sake, and that's their point. He got the point clearly and by looking at the expression of the duo, they seem to care less about themselves either.

"Impressive," he said briefly. His voice echoed throughout the sound-proof room and he tried to look unbreaking. "I will be expecting the reports next week. Call me when it is needed and be more cautious about hackers. You know what I mean," he said firmly, though the two remain unbugged. Simply, this person doesn't look like someone to be feared.

"As you say, Secretary Ruan," Ella replied, her eyes void with any expression.

-ooOoo-

Driving for approximately three full hours is exhausting. The heavy traffic didn't do anything good too. And now they're already heading for another last mile to their destination. The place looked deserted and there really isn't a single house on the way. The forests are quite a sight, though. Ella remained slouched on the passenger seat taking the view into memory. That will be the idea you'll get from her expression but the reality is, she's familiarizing herself with the area where she'll be working for the next heady months. The furnishing was finished on time and now, in the dark shades of the night, they're on their way to the "setting", as they call it.

She adjusted the baggy pants and extra-large T-shirt so that they would fit a little better. She trailed her fingers to her hair and made them look like a man's hair style.

Chun had been keeping his eyes wide open and never missed a single flicker of light from behind them. He's ever so cautious and sharp on his surroundings. His attire and face made him look ordinary and cheap.

"So what event made you decide to take the agent's path?" eyes still on the road, Chun asked his partner, attempting to make a conversation.

Shocked of his sudden change in mood, she stilled and tried to internalize. "I'm surprised you asked me about my personal life," she replied, still gazing outside the window. She need not to be careful in telling him about her past. She knows that he meant no threat.

"I decided to be loose on you, that's why," he answered. He's ever so hopeful that she would tell him about it or his three hours of playing tag-of-war with is pride would be thrown out of the window. He's interested in getting to know her - of platonic purposes.

She smiled to herself. Ella glanced to his way and back again at the window. She knows he's not really the hardcore one but he's not also that extrovert either. He knows what to say and where and when to say it. That's one of things she admired about him. Now, she's sure he still have those qualities embedded in his system. He's just another victim of an unfriendly world, just like herself. He's not worth the blame. In fact, she's more than determined to rescue him from falling down to the deepest pit.

"My life was almost the same as yours. I'm left with no one else to depend on at a very young age. I migrated in Texas after my parents were murdered and tried to leave the past behind. But it's not as easy with the horrifying memories haunting me everytime I sleep. When my grandparents, the one who took care of me in Texas, died because of old age, I decided to come back and track those people down. My parents deserve justice like everyone else. Annomalies may happen in the government so I tried my luck in the agent world,"

Fair enough, Chun thought. At least she answered without playing her favourite hard games. Government equates to injustice, yes. But agent world isn't that much of a difference. There are annomalies too. You wouldn't know who your allies and enemies are. You have no one else to trust but yourself. Even your best buddy could betray you because of who-knows-what for who-knows-who.

Chun turned to eastward and replied with a knowing tone, "Annomalies are everywhere in the agent world."

"Here's the catch. At least he's trying to be a little more conversant," Ella thought.

"That's the best thing. Every person is a challenge. Each soul is a foe," she smiled.

"So you take me as a challenge, then?" he asked. She speaks like she knows everything about life. She's still naïve, and that, she hasn't realized.

"No. I know who you are. You are no threat," she said tersely. She feels good with the advantage she has over him. And she knows that there's already a nestling impatience in his heart, straining at the leash to know who she is.

"I cannot guarantee. You're still a threat to me," he said. She keeps on telling him that she knows who he really is. The real him, that is. He never met her before. She spent more than ten years of her life in another country and the possibility that she's one distant relative is next to impossibility. And now, she'll just pop out of nowhere, become his partner, match his feral mind games and tell him that she knows who he really is like she had known him for years? Irking. It's getting to his nerves. Who is she, really?

"If you're talking about your position in the company, I have no intention on stealing it from you," she clarified. If that's what he's worried about, he's wrong. She gives no damn about his status in the company. In fact, she have no idea what sort of thing about the company is so appealing.

"Not that one. I know you can't get it from me, anyway. You're still a stranger for me, officer. That's why I do not know if I will be your friend or foe," he elucidated, his eyes flickering brown.

She smiled. She'll loosen up on him now. She was attracted to him since she first met him years ago. And until now, she still is. But it's platonic. A part of her still wanted the same attention he had given her years ago, but the Chun she met at that time is like the total opposite of the one seated beside her now. It was like a lifetime ago and she wondered if it will take her another lifetime before she would be given the right opportunity to tell him who she really is.

The car stopped and they stepped out. The house was huge and there's no single tree for about a hundred meters away. There's no chance someone can ever breach the tall gates. They installed cameras through the place and sensor devices outside the house and in every door. Connecting the cables, they secured them to a built-in computer screen. The computer was tucked in a secret sound-proof room inside the masters bedroom. The door towards the room was the vanity mirror that requires a password in order to open. When they're done with the hard work, they proceeded to the tunnel. It was an underground tunnel that leads to the secret hideout Ella instructed the workers to make. The hideout was underground too but it has an exit that will bring them out through a small opening above the ground that leads to the forest.

On the way to the hideout, Ella shifted her backpack and turned to Chun, "I know you're claustrophobic."

His eyes shot wide but he collected himself and remained calm. How did she know? "I don't know what you're talking about," he said shortly.

"I don't know why it's not included in your biodata," her eyes beamed. She knows that she hit a nerve.

"It's not safe to let anyone know about your weakness. They will use it against you," he explained, "And you're right. But I succeeded in overcoming that fright. You cannot use it against me now."

"What gave you the idea that I will use it against you? Some paranoid you are," she muttered and walked past him until she reached the hideout. She placed her bag on the small table and turned to the computer screen.

"I don't hold anything against you for not telling me about this hideout. It's a good idea. But I want to remind you to tell me your every move. We're partners," he said as he rested his tools on the table. She's the one who kept on telling him about what having a partner is all about and yet she's the one being all independent and stuff.

The area was equipped with all the tools they needed on the operation. There's a built-in computer and a bedroom with two beds. The area is highly soundproof and there are several coded doors to pass through before one can enter.

"I just wanted to give you a little surprise... Chun," she said.

What?

"What did you just call me?" he asked.

"I called you by your first name. I don't care if you don't want to be called this way but I'll do it my own way. Tomorrow, we're not going to address each other as formal. I suggest you try to practice," she said as an explanation. She knows he would be surprised at the sudden change in her mood. And seeing him perplexed can really make her day.

"Suggestion accepted then, Ella," he smil
ed curtly and scrutinized the place more.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------