:PROLOGUE::

Intricate Hunt: Blood and Love

:PROLOGUE::

For Kayen
---

There's nothing unusual that happened this day. All are just the same except for a couple of green plants he ordered to make his office a little more like home. Not only that he misses the cosiness of it but most of all, he misses the tender warmth of having a family. It dawned to him the realization of what happened, a painful reflection that Jonas Wu himself found hard to accept. It has never been an easy thing to accept that you are at fault and that you could've saved everything if only you tried to. But it's a little too late now.

He reached for his desk's drawer and searched for the picture he secured in a frame he designed himself. He smiled at the sight of their faces all smiling back at him. He leaned on the comfort of his couch, while memorizing the features of his wife and his sons. It has been five years and he wondered how they've been doing. Are they also longing for him to come home just like how his heart is craving for the comfort of their love? At least he wished they are but the proof that they cut any communication with him signifies that he's thinking otherwise.

Sighing, he drew the framed picture closer to his heart. He closed his eyes as memories of what began it all corrupted his memory. His heart clenched when he remembered the sharp gaze of his wife the moment he went home from work. The pictures scattered on the marble tiled floor flashed about his mind so fresh. The blazing glimmers of betrayal shone on his children’s faces are terrifying he couldn't make out any excuse. How could he when the pictures did the explanation already? The way he's sprawled on the bed with a floozy is clearly printed. The intimacy in their position and the bare flesh concealed by the red comforter made him feel like the most obscene pauper. How will he ever repay his debts?

Life is playing pranks on him. He's the richest and one of the most influential men in all the corners of Taiwan. Yet to his own family, he is no one. He would trade all the things that he have in exchange for a simple life with his whole family. Absurdly, only a fool like him will never get tired of hoping for the grantor to give him another chance. He placed the frame back on his drawer, making sure that he'll not lose the only thing he has to remind him of them.

Wriggling his left hand a little to take a glance at his wristwatch, he checked for the time. It's about eight and he promised to meet an important client for dinner. Business took claim of his time since his own family abandoned him. What could he do anyway? It was his fault. He reached for the phone and after reminding his secretary about the reports he needed, he cut the call and went out of his office.

He walked amidst the table of his employees wearing a stern face - constantly nodding right there and then as a courteous response for their evening greeting. Though he's not speaking about it, he knows that some of them are just trying to act busy in front of their superior's eyes. He could see the way their trembling hands flipped through the pages of the white folders hastily as if they cannot find the page they're looking for. He's helping them to feed their families but they're not helping him elevate the level of their business. How could they when all they do all day is to chat among one another about something not quite important to discuss?

Shaking his head a little, he exited the building only to find an oddly-looking man hovering over his car. Just as he was about to approach him, the man scampered away - constantly looking back. Horror was visible in the man's eyes with his dark and noticeably unclassy jacket giving emphasis to his status in the society. Despising the unusual encounter, he reached for his car while switching the alarm off. Fishing out for his car keys, he opened the door and sped off.

It is undeniably colder tonight compared to other nights as autumn is about to end. It's not a good season to meet an important client but the ground line of their topic for discussion isn't that much worthy of a good environment.

The chill runs along his spine when the thought flashed across his mind. He fought the fright from completely encompassing him as he remembered the way his former business partner bestfriend sprawled against the pavement, bathing on his own pool of blood.

Sweating in beads of cold perspiration, he dialled the number of the person he's about to meet. He's breathing heavily as the flashback felt so real. The other line picked after the first ring and addressed him with complete politeness, "Good evening Mr. Wu".

"You're already there?" he can't help but ask. He has been anticipating for this day to come. He wanted to give the proper justice that his bestfriend rightfully deserves. Fortunately, someone sent him a message last night, saying that he knows who the killer was. A witness. It's been three years after his buddy died. Almost, that is, for today is his third death anniversary. He cannot get over it that easily because he has been the one who pulled his spirit up when he was so down - the time when his own family abandoned him. And now, he's gone for almost three years already. The least he could do is to find the culprit and have him sued for all his life's worth.

"Yeah," just as the other line spoke, he turned left, a deviation from the main road. A vast, desert-like area welcomed him and he stepped on the gas pedal to accelerate his speed. He gave a short nod as a response, not quite aware and not considering the fact that he's talking on the phone. "I'll be there", he added assuringly, his hand curled tightly on the steering wheel.

"Take your time Mr. Wu. Your buddy may not want you to join him for another lifetime," she said saucily. He frowned for the sudden change of tone. Just as he was about to ask her what she meant by that, his car did the explanation instead. He tried to step on the break but somebody must've broken the wirings. It's not working!

He remembered the odd man he saw a while ago. He cursed under his breath.

A huge truck carrying logs passed by his car, assuming an overtake. He felt flustered, not knowing what to do. "What on earth did you do?! Who are you?!" he asked randomly.

"I'm a friend," chuckled the other line. "I'm ending your suffering now. At least you'll receive an earlier punishment for killing my dad."

The truck drove with him side by side and he tried to avoid himself from the anticipated impact. Just as he was about to turn to the other side to avoid the impending danger, another car from the opposite direction met him.

Sounds of screeching tires and endless honking filled the cold night. He heard soft chuckles on his phone before he completely lost grip of it.

An almost-blinding light and his car flying through the air were the last details he was able to process before the huge collision that left myriads of shattered glasses scattered along the way.

"Time's up!" the person on the other line declared, followed by a deafening explosion that sent masses of fumes into air.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[rosseEureka]
060110|2:49,
-Philippines-