Reunion

Yearning

We took a short trip down to her hotel, which was not that far off from the central area of London, so that makes my job of heading back a lot easier. We didn't talk much since it was hard to speak. The whole ride to the hotel was just awkward, with the memories of past grievances still there. Afterwards, we head down to the nearest cafe we could find, the first time we talked since we met at the arrival terminal.

I remembered the looks that everyone gave us, mainly because of how hysterical Ji-Hyo was upon seeing my face. I missed her. The wave of emotions that went through my body was painful. Happiness, sadness, anger, confusion, numbness, pity, anguish, I could only cry because of the cocktail that went through my head. She lost weight, especially around her face and her thighs. I have a feeling they asked her to lose even more weight for the next comeback, which is in a few months time. I was praying that she was not going to ask me what I think she is going to ask me. 


We went to Apres since I didn't know much about where to go for breakfast in London, so I figured that I would just look up what is the first thing on the internet. Ji-Hyo was seated while I went to order our food. It was better as well, since I wanted to compose myself. I had to think about how to deal with her questions; because her face was poker, and her eyes were ambiguous. Soon after, I ordered whatever I thought could feed the two of us. I have taken a strange liking to black pudding, it's an acquired taste, and because Nan gives me one extra serving every time, so I got accustomed to the taste.

There was some breaking of the ice, but there was still an awkward feel to it.

"So... Mina. How have you been?", Ji-Hyo said with a tint of shyness. It's been awhile since I saw that. In fact, the last time I saw Ji-Hyo being this shy was when we were trainees.

"I'm alright. How about you, you look like you have lost weight.", I gently grabbed her wrist, "Are they making you go on that diet?", she nods, before caressing my face, "What is it?", I was wondering was there something off.

"Your cheeks... they are rounder. You have put on weight, haven't you?" I felt my cheeks, not able to tell, "You can't tell?", I shook my head.

"I never really kept check of that since I came down here. I feel fine.", I told her, I felt my cheeks repeatedly just to see whether she was right, "I don't feel anything different.", she crooked her head to the left.

"There's something different about you...", she put her index on her lips, "You're not the Mina I remembered.", just as she said that, someone was behind us.

"Scuse me, miss? The cooked breakfast special.", a tall, blonde, male, waiter placed the platter of food in front of us, before passing us two plates, "Do you all want your drinks served now or later?"

I nodded, "Now. Oh and love?", he gave me an engaged stare, "could you give me some ketchup, please?", he raised an eyebrow, before nodding.

"Sure. Enjoy your meal.", the two of us thanked him as he walked away.

"Your English is a lot better.", I smirked at her compliment.

"You learn more than in the classes back in Korea here. Plus, it's easier to learn it here.", I poked about the sausage, "Shall we?", she picks up her fork and knife, and we began to eat.

We ate in peace. There was small talk, but it was mostly revolving around our families. We avoided the mention of the members because we knew how tender of a spot it is to touch on. Every time we wanted to change the topic to something else, we had to make sure we don't touch anything involving the agency or the group. Yet, a part of me wanted to ask what was going on, especially with Sana and Momo unnie. In their eyes, I was their little baby sister. But, that's only when it is just the three of us. Other times, Tzuyu is and always will be the de facto baby of the group.

We went on to talk about my time in school, and as I spoke of my daily school life; the look of envy on Ji-Hyo's face was ever more apparent. She would pout whenever I talk about the antics of some of my classmates, causing her to reminisce about her time back in high school.

But, the inevitable was bound to come, no matter how many digressions we had.

Ji-Hyo took out her phone and scrolled through her screen, "Anyway, Minari, there are more important matters at hand.", the smile that she had on her face was gone as she showed me her screen.

I took her phone off her hands, and I looked through the page. It was a schedule. A comeback for July. I looked through everything. I had to go back around May, which was two months before, mostly for recording, reshoots, and designing things for upcoming merchandises. There was also a mandatory list of how many selfies we have to give to them, so that the photocards could be made, and because we now no longer do studio shoots, and now want us just to churn out selcas of whatever quality so that it can be plastered on the cardboard.

I suddenly had a flash of that time I visited Cody's house, and what Ralph and Y/N said. 


I flipped through the pages of Cody's photocard binder, which were filled with cards of Dahyun. I recognised some, and some were a first. I smiled at the sight of Dahyunie, since it has been awhile since I have seen her. It was always nice to be around her, until that day. I flipped through and saw cards like the fantasy park sets, from 'The Story Begins' to 'Dance the Night Away'. However, the one that caught my eye were the ones that were meant for events. He had the Pocari Sweat cards, both versions. He had broadcast cards. He even had the Superstar JYP card for Dahyun.

"How did you get all of this?", I asked. I was in amazement at the seemingly endless amount of pages to flip through, "Did you trade with friends?"

There was a long silence before someone said something, "About that...", Cody was laughing nervously.

"Sharon.", Ralph started. Most of them now call me Sharon instead of Mina, with the only exception being my ballet club and Y/N, "Do you know how much some of these cards cost?",  I shook my head.

Y/N rubbed the back of his nape, "It's hard to explain that, Minari... because of the amount of stuff you guys churn out on a regular basis...", it was the first I see his eyes have a resentful glint, "All those cards... cost him about 2000 quid.", Cody turned away from my stare at him.

I could feel my jaw drop at the mention that he spent two grand on the photocards is what shock me. That was only the tip of the iceberg.

"Do you know how much he has spent on the merch you guys keep releasing?", I shook my head at Tim's increasing anger, "Follow me."

Cody went in front of Tim, "Mate, don't do this. Please, don't let Sharon feel so much guilt with all this.", Tim pushes him aside.

"If she doesn't know about how ed up this e is, I don't think your Mom will let you live in two years time.", Tim walks to what I initially perceive as Cody's room, "Take a look.", he says before opening the door.

I was greeted by what I could only call a shrine. Everything was all Twice. The blanket, the pillowcase. The candy bong, the banners, posters, tumblers, bags, hoodies, windbreakers; everything that was sold with our brand there, I was awed by it, until Ralph set the reality in.

"All this, and his Dad is about to tear him a new one.", I could feel someone cover my ears, "Y/N, she needs to hear this.", I took away Y/N's hands.

"Let me hear what he has to say.", he nods before taking a step back.

Ralph sighs, "Look, Mina. We like you, we really do. We have nothing against the merch, honestly. But, all this has to stop. Look around Cody's room. His Mom almost murdered him when she saw the final product. You see the little banner?", he points at the page two banner, "His brother questions his ual orientation every time."

"Mom hasn't learned about it... but if she meets you, I don't think I will be able to live with what Ramsey and Father would do.", Cody walked out of the room, with Al and Tim following him.

I felt a hand on my shoulder, "Minari, Ralph is not wrong. And as much as I want to stop him from saying that, I can't really stand beside him."

"How much did you spend on merch?", Y/N had an avoidant look, "Y/N... tell me now."

He paused, "Below Cody... A..,a-above Ralph."

"How much precisely?"

"1.5 grand.", I turned away from him, "Mina...", he had a sullen tone.

"I need a minute.", I walked out to the living room, to see Cody and Ralph talking, "Cody, can you open the door please.", I could not look at either of them.

Cody just nod, "See you in school.", I just flashed an apologetic smile before I left the house. 


I looked through the schedule, and I passed it back to her, "No, Ji-Hyo, I'm not going back.", there was a tint of anger in her eyes.

"Mina, I can't let you go off. The CEO is not going to let you.", I shook my head, "Mina, we can't stall anymore."

"I can't continue down this downward spiral, especially to the fans.", I told her, and there was a glint of guilt that echoed through her pupils, "If only you know how much some of the fans have spent."

"Does it really matter at this point, MIna?", I was taken aback by her response, "They are the main reason we are earning money."

"They are the reason why we are still going on in this hell hole, right?!", I covered my mouth, shocked at the increase in my volume. I could feel the sea of eyes peering over at us. I quickly apologised to everyone at my outburst.

"Minari, about Jeongyeon..."

"Save it. Is she still doing it?", I had a preempted notion about this, "Ji-Hyo, don't try to guilt trip me about this. I can't keep up with that schedule anymore. We had seven promotion cycles in two countries simultaneously, I can't do this.", She hung her head low, "What about Chaeyoungie? And Tzuyu?", she kept mum at the mention of Tzuyu, "Ji-Hyoling?"

She took a deep breath, "Tzuyu went back to Taiwan... she... she... she didn't want to see either of us after what Jeongyeon said.", I scoffed at it, "I'm really sorry about what happen, Minari...", her voice began to break.

The fact that Tzuyu went back to Taiwan meant that she went back home around the same time that I went away to Japan after we head back to Korea, "What about Chaeyoung?"

Ji-Hyo took out a tissue and cleaned her eyes, smearing her make-up, "Chaeyoung just applied to University, she will be starting soon, So is Da-Hyun.", I smiled, because I knew that at least the two of them are still fine, "Na-Yeon went back to study, for the time being. Sana and Momo went back to Japan awhile after you left."

I didn't keep much in contact with Sana and Momo unnie after that time. They tried to talk me out of leaving the dorm, but I didn't care. I had to do it, if not for me, then for my family.

"Does everyone else know about this?", she nods.

"You were the only one that we all couldn't reach. That's why we had to call your mom first.", It began to make sense now why Mom complained to me about how she got a couple of calls from the company, I forgot to caveat that, "But Mina, we don't have a choice. Jeongyeon Unnie..."

"Jeongyeon Unnie is no longer going to get my sympathy, no matter how pitiful her situation is.", Ji-Hyo flinched at my retort.

"She's forced to go through this, Minari.", I scoffed, "You need to understand that it's not easy for her."

I felt a fire burned inside me when she said that, "Do you think it's easy for Momo unnie, Sana unnie, and I when we went to Korea all the way from Japan? Don't think I don't know how your people view and treat us, Park Ji-Soo.", She was agasp at my boldness, "You think I don't know about the backlash that happened when we announced that we were holding our third anniversary in Japan, and not in Korea? Or the time for the first fansign for Dance the night away, where one-fifth of the people were Japanese, the Korean fans were aggrieved by it? And with what's happening to Jeongyeon unnie? That's on you, not on the past mistakes of my country.", Ji-Hyo hung her head, muttering sorry, "Forget it. We are going nowhere anyway.", I called for the bill, "Let's go somewhere more private."

We paid for the bill, and we went back to the hotel, where it was even more awkward than before, mainly after I vented out my frustration of being an idol in Korea. I have kept it in. In fact, Sana unnie and I have bottled up a lot for the sake of the group, not to let out our deepest peeves. As a Japanese working in one of the most hostile countries to Japan, it was a paradox that we are so popular, even more so considering that the foreign line is more popular than the local line, it was an oddity that leaves everyone baffled.

Yet, when it came to criticising us, there were plenty. Everything that we Japanese do in Korea was far more heavily scrutinized compared to the Koreans and Tzuyu. Everything from just speaking Japanese on Vlive, to mispronouncing words because of the omission of alphabets in Korean, us not eating some of the bizarre cuisines that they eat. It was plenty. ANd the cultural changes between the two was what made it so difficult for me to adjust when I first came here as a trainee, where the rose-tinted glasses were taken off.

We reached back the hotel room, where Ji-Hyo and I were seating side by side on the bed. I was scrolling through my phone while Ji-Hyo was their, mumbling to herself.

"Minari?", I hummed to her to go on, "Can I ask you something?", I nod, "What really triggered you to leave after the Tokyo Dome concert?", I froze after she said that, "Mitang?"

I turned and held her hand as I look at her eyes, "Do you remember what happened that day?", She nods but then shook her head.

"A little bit.", I rubbed her hand gently, "I forgot majority of it so that we wouldn't bring it up ever again."

"Well, I didn't. Let me refresh it for you.", Ji-Hyo had a pained look as soon as I said that, but she had this braced look as she knows I would be opening up the messy memory lane.


A/N: Hey peeps, sorry for taking so long. Had the flu.

Enjoy Dance the Night Away, pray that you can see them in your country, and love the memes.

The next chapter is going to be a hefty one. It's going to touch on a lot of sensitive topics, and some of the taboo topics between Korea and Japan. Now, while this work is fictional, any incidents that occurs along the lines of this work is purely coincidental. For anyone who wants to ask me any kind of questions, leave a comment, I would answer them to the best of my ability. Please try to keep it to general topics, preferably Twice. I won't bother with personal ones.

Stay tuned for my next chapter. Hopefully it doesn't take an eternity to write like this one.

See you next time.