Intermission

Yearning

I took out my economics textbook, and just placed in front of my table, still not saying anything to her. Mina was just mum, quietly tapping her feet while biting her lip. Even though I was mad at her for the penguin, it was like art just seeing her move. I got up from my chair, planning to get something to eat.

"You heading down?", She shook her head. I looked at the side profile of her face, "You want anything? At least eat something.", she was skinnier than what I remembered.

She looked at me with a glimmer in her eyes, "Just some bread.", she said before flashing a smile, "Thanks, Y/N.", I nod and head down. 


I walked down to the cafe, something that was a routine thing at this point, especially when all the lessons can force one to go into a temporary stupor because of how much information we received. And not to mention, for Mina's first day, she was drained, but she was still composed compared to everyone else was groaning by the end of English class, because of the lesson before was Mrs. Tan's history lesson, something that not many could tolerate because of how much memory work is needed.

As soon as I entered the cafe, all eyes were on me. People began to 'woo' and cheer at me, a first, really. I just walked in the direction of Tim and all. The heckling did die down, replaced with stares of envy and admiration. Cody had a face of irritation, and so did Ralph, who looked like he was going to kill me.

"Dude, you are, and Mitang are the most talked about thing for the whole five minutes you have been here.", I rolled my eyes, yet, I liked that, "You're lucky it's not Tzuyu here, or I will really kill you.", I snickered at the jab. I took a seat.

"Scuse me...", I heard from the left of my ear. I turned and saw two girls that were from the junior class, "Could you pass this to Mina?", I just nod and flashed a smile as I took it, "Thank you", they ran off back to their table.

"Oooooohhhh... someone's not loyal to their bae now.", Aaron, one of the jocks who was sitting opposite our table blurted, "Congrats, Y/N, at least you are not alone anymore.", I just shook my head.

"ing A-a-ron.", they all giggled at the reference to the Key and Peele sketch, " Anyhow, what's for food?",  Al pointed at the baked goods section.

"Croissants, chocolate if you're craving some fudge. And sourdough bread with scrambled eggs, if you are feeling fancy. Oh yeah, the special is a Caffe Mocha.", I nodded and went to the front of the counter, "Hey, get me one espresso!", I sighed and just pulled out 15 quid because that's the guesstimation.

I looked at the all the pastries and wondered what would be something to get. There was an endless selection. Sausage rolls, eggs benedict, croissants, and cakes. There is a crapton of cakes in this cafe. It's just a daily occurrence. The only time that I have never seen cakes was when it was pudding, and by god, the pudding is the one thing that we avoid because of how afraid we are of Nan, the owner of the cafe when it comes to her and her pudding special.

"Hi, dearie.", Nan greeted in her ever-cheery tone that we have become accustomed to, "What would you want for today? Oh, and how's the new girl?", I got a shock when she mentioned Mina.

"You heard too, Nan?", she nods and laughed, "Did it get out that quickly..."

"Y/N dear, you should know that things like this, I would know way ahead of you, and the school, in general, is a place where rumours and facts spread.", I shrug in acceptance, "So, what do you want?", I thought about what to order, but most of it was wondering what to order for Minari. I had an idea.

"Ok, give me a cup of espresso, for Al. Give me an Americano, a Caffe mocha...", I pondered on the pastries, "Give me the eggs benedict, and the chocolate fudge cake.", Nan smiles and nods.

"Ok, let me repeat that. A cup of espresso, for Al. Ok, I'll call him when it's ready. An Americano and Caffe mocha, one egg's benedict, and a chocolate fudge cake. All this to go, son?", I nod, "Ok, just don't get caught, dearie. Wayne!", she yells out to Wayne, who has been working in the cafe for more than five years, "Just wait by the side, dear."

Al joined up by my side, "So, what you ordered?", I told him, "Damn. What's the occa- oh wait, nevermind.", I eyed him, "Well, don't get caught by the headmaster, and you should be fine.", I rubbed my temples as I remembered that.

"kkk." I remembered the hound-like nose he has when it comes to smelling food, ", I shouldn't have ordered the Egg Benedict, that s going to smell.", Al just pats my back as I pray for my feet to be quick enough to sneak past the headmaster's office.

Al got his espresso first, heading back to the table. Five minutes later, the bag of coffee and food came in. I checked what was inside the bag. The cake, Eggs Benedict, and there was an addition, of two croissants. I never remembered that I ordered those. I looked up to see Cat, Nan's daughter. She passed me some extra napkins.

"Cat, I didn't order this.", Cat just shook her head, "On the house?"

She nods, "Nan said next time, bring the new girl here, she wants to meet her.", she puts the napkins inside the bag, "Is she pretty.", I smiled at the thought of it, "Go back now, you lover boy.", I began to blush as I thanked her.

Just as I was about to leave the cafe, I suddenly remembered the letters that the two juniors passed to me. I left it on the table with the rest. I went back to the table, with Tim holding the letters out.

"We were wondering when you are going to come and take it.", Ralph teased, "Have fun, mate."

I sighed, "It's just sitting beside her, not actual .", they laughed at my expression, "See you for Mr. Graham's class.", They all waved as I head back to the class. 


I took a rapid succession of breaths, as I could finally breathe after sneaking past the headmaster's office. For the most part, most of the students have gone to eat or head down to the library for studying. Some stay behind when they prefer the solidarity that being in the classroom can provide that others can't. Surprisingly, no one actually came up to our class and take a glance at Mina. But then again, no one would really want to do that if they have ever seen her in person.

While most people always say that Tzuyu is the most beautiful one out of the whole of Twice, which, from a photographic standpoint, is soundly plausible. However, when you see Mina in person, it was an entirely different story. I remembered how different it felt when I saw her on stage and Mina off stage. On stage, she became one with the collective; she just blended in with the rest of the group. However, when she was a normal person, it was like looking at art. She had this beauty that is so elegant, and it doesn't help that she doesn't put heavy make-up, so her face had this natural glow that could make any men weak in their knees. Not to mention, when you see her walking towards your direction, it's all hope lost as you tried to avoid the warm, alluring gaze that she has in her doe-eyes. She's not some seductress or some femme fatale. She's just a young lady who is just quiet, but warm.

I opened the door and immediately, I felt like I was in a dream because she was wearing a pair of round glasses. She looked up at me and flashed a smile, with a pen in her right hand, and her left on the calculator. It felt like a scene from a drama, and I feel like I was the lead looking at the love interest, and this was a role I could get used to.

I walked up to our table, "Hey.", she replied with the same word, "I brought food.", her eyes shimmered as bright as Momo's when I flashed the bag at her.

"Thank you!", I felt deja vu, instantly reminding me of the way she said it for Twice TV5, "...", she pouts as she looks through the bag, "Which one's mine?", she giggles at herself.

I felt like melting, "The chocolate cake is yours. The eggs are mine.", She took the two of them out and placed the latter on my desk. She halts all movement of her hand from what I assume are the croissants.

"Whose are these?", She asked, tilting her head to the side as she asked me. I swear every small gesture of her was getting too much for me.

"You know you are really too cute f-", I realise that I was blurting out my thoughts out loud only five seconds in, immediately covering my mouth, "Oh, motherer...", I muttered out loud. I could feel my face become hotter and redder as I lowered my head to hide my anxiety of speaking my mind. I look through the gap of my finger to see Mina was no longer looking through the bag, instead, sitting with everything laid out respectively. However, her face was a bright pink, lighting patting her dress in an adorable attempt to sift out the awkwardness between us.

"... sit down. Y...your foods going to get cold.", I went to my seat quicker than running away from Aaron and his bloke of friends.

The two of us ate in silence. I just ate my eggs while watching a rerun of 'weekly idol' where it was of Twice back in Signal era. I threw occasional glances at Mina, who looked at it with a nostalgic smile. She began to chuckle when they had to do the cutesy act in the beginning segment.

"Those were good times...", she said with glassy eyes, "Sorry, Y/N, it's just been so long since I saw that.", she took a packet of tissue out and pulled a piece out to wipe her eyes, "It's been tiring...", there was a pained pause after she said that.

"Mina...", I took a sip from my mocha, "I wanted to ask. Why did you come all the way out here, to England? Why study here? I know you didn't finish high school and all, but why here?", she suddenly took my hand and looked at me with a stare that was intimidating.

"Promise me that if I tell you, you wouldn't tell anyone else, even in this class. Ok?", I nodded and made a motion of zipping my lips, "Ok...", she scratched the side of her head, laughing nervously, "I think I should tell you what it was like working as an idol, especially one that is Japanese.", I nod as she began explaining the best she can in English.

She told me about the innate discrimination that happens in Korea, especially if you are Japanese. The entertainment industry was something that was true to what most people know. It's all glitz and glamour until you reach the peak. That was when the myth sponsorships began to be tossed around. Now, when you think about JYP, you would have the first initial impression that they are the most humane company, especially among the big four, with SM, YG, and Bighit into the foray. However, she told me that was just because JYP was the spokesperson, and there was a common misconception that he was still the director out of all of them. The truth was behind the benevolent exterior; there was a seedy underbelly that was getting more and more difficult.

By the time they reached the Signal era, the demands by the executive and investors began to become more and more extreme. They wanted more to cash in, and the offers for ual favours began to pour in. JYP tried to stave them off, and it worked.

"I wished that was the case. Until one day, Jeongyeon was forced to do something that she did not want to do when we went down to Singapore for Fantasy Park. We tried to hide the fact that something was about to happen... but... but...", her eyes became watery as she took a bite and sipped from her food and drink, "When the concert started, they didn't give us much to make us happy. The candy bong was not there. And the fans didn't even know the fan chant, not to mention that one with the gang chant.", as soon she mentioned that; I remembered my friend talking about that.

I stopped her for a moment, "What did Jeongyeon had to do?", I asked, and she shook her head, immediately giving me the cue that I shouldn't pry further, "Ok, let's save that for another time. But, why did you come here?"

She smiled when I changed the topic, immediately releasing a sigh of relief, "Back when I first joined JYP, I was still a junior in high school. I withdrew from school because of the sacrifice I had to make. My parents were angry, really angry. But, when they saw the success that we were experiencing, they were happy.", She took another sip from her Americano, "But, by the time we reached our third year, all of us were exhausted. And not to mention, the popularity thing was beginning to eat at our relationships...", she frowned as soon as she said that.

I knew what she was talking about. This was a topic that several of my friends who are even more hardcore fans that I went into depth with about this. Even though Twice did portray the close, family-like bond that all onces have become accustomed to seeing; there was something that was always on the back of my mind because of the popularity index for each member. Twice is the first group that I know of where the Korean members are less popular than the Foreign members. For starters, when you compare Tzuyu's popularity, both domestically and internationally, she towers above Sana, Momo, Nayeon combined. Her beauty was the main selling point of the group.

She took an even bigger breath, "And one day after the Japanese concert, Momo and Jeongyeon argued. It got so bad that the managers couldn't even stop them. I had to shield Tzuyu because it started with her. It became split to Momo, Sana, Jihyo on one side; Nayeon, Jeongyeon, Dahyun, and Chaeyoung on the other...", she now began to stumble in her speech, "When I try to stop them... I-i...I", I stopped her right there.

"Stop right there.", I told her as her crystal-like tears began to trickle down her cheeks, and her lips curled into a frown that hurt so bad to see, "It's okay... that will never happen here, I promise.", she nods hiding her face from my view with her hair, "The girls might be dramatic and all, but they won't be out to sabotage you.", I suddenly had a hit in my brain remembered the one thing, "Two girls wanted me to pass this to you.", she shook her head and pushed it away when I attempted to pass it to her, "What's wrong?"

"I don't want to read any more fan letters for now.", she said with a wheeze interjected in between, "The more I see them, the more I hate myself.", I walked over to her tote bag and put it in their, "Y/N...", her tone changed to one of a warning shot.

"You decide what you want to do with it.", she shot a glare through her swollen eyes, "But, I must ask. Are you sure you want to do this? You haven't been studying for more than three years.", she nods.

"After the end of last year, I figure that I should do something for myself, by myself. Plus, I needed some time away from the rest."

"Then why not go back to Japan?", she shook her head adamantly rambling something incoherent, "Mina?"

"I don't want to have people constantly watching me. I want to have my own peace and quiet. That's why I came down all way to the UK, because at least even though I will get recognise, I can still have my own privacy.", I accepted that, because truth be told, no one would really bother her unless they know Kpop.

I had another thought that came to my mind, "But why are you telling me all this, right on the first day?", she flashed the toothiest smile that you always see on fansign photos.

"I figured if I needed someone to be someone I can trust... it might as well be the one who is my partner in class.", I smiled at that; the fact that she was willing to put that much trust into me was something that flattered me, "Plus, I feel bad about that penguin plushie...", she giggled cutely.

"You really got to stop beating yourself up over that.", I did not feel as devastated as I was in the morning, and after hearing all that she told me, I couldn't be mad at her, "I'm no longer angry.", she nods, "But where are you staying at?"

"My Mom and I bought an apartment in the centre of town. She wants to be by my side this time.", I nod.

"Does she know all that you told me?", she shook her head.

"She wouldn't understand.", I could relate what she was saying, "And I don't want to worry her about what I was going through...", I nod because that really hit home.

The two of us stayed silent for a good while. After she opened up so much towards me, I just... didn't know how to go forward from here. Even when I want to ask her something, I couldn't bring myself to talk about it. Suddenly, I heard the clearing of a throat. That caused the two of us to break out of our daze, and we looked at who it was. It was Mr Graham.

".", I mumbled under my breath as I looked at our table and the unfinished food, "Sir, I can explain.", Mr. Graham. walked towards us and stared hard at Mina.

"Are you the new student?", she nods with her lips sealed shut and her hands and legs intertwined together, "Why are your eyes red?", she didn't know what to say.

I remembered the stuff from the juniors, "She was reading some fan letters.", Mr. Graham nodded and suddenly, a Cheshire smile appeared, "I can explain the food, Mr. Graham. W-", Mr. Graham put his. hands up.

"It's her first day, I'll let it pass.", then his hand slides into the bag, "Plus, I actually wanted a croissant.", he pulled out one and began munching on it, "The two of you got 15 minutes.", I let out a sigh at Mr. Graham's surprising leniency.

I looked at Mina, who was eating her cake, and scrolling through her phone, I saw my half-eaten Eggs Benedict and decided it was time to clear up the evidence before the rest came back from class.

I had to juggle a balance between wolfing down and looking poised, because the necessity to not look like a savage was real, especially when the black swan was right in front of your eyes.

I heard Mr. Graham suddenly whistle, "Oh yes, Y/N. Congratulations for finally having a partner after so long.", I just smiled and nodded, "Eat slowly, son. The young lady is not in a rush.", he shifts his focus, "What's your name, sweetheart?"

Mina smiles and for the first time, her voice could be herard across the room, "Sharon. Sharon Myoui."