chapt i.

the thing about love potions

  "While the name Hogwarts has made it's way all around England, South Korea has settled to open up extra classes to teach the younger generations of witches and wizards. Unlike most people around the world, koreans tend to hold witches and wizards to a higher standard. Their believes in superstitions lead to them to see the magical world as an elite circle meant only for the ones chosen by a larger power at hand. Witches and wizards were then given higher rankings, and all the best things available. Some muggles even took it a step further by praying to them, offering them gifts and food, in exchange for help using magic."

  "As time passes by, some wizards and witches use their positions, their magic, to take from the muggles. They abused their magic to have people do their bidding. Muggles were afraid, they started to fight back. They knew they couldn't fight the all the wizards at the same time, so they began attacking in the dark. They started a witch hunt for every magic creatures out there. It was a dark time for everyone," Mithra said solemnly, eyeing around the room. This wasn't the first time any of them has ever heard the story. This wasn't even the first time he's told the story. But as instructed by YG himself, he has to remind the younger kids of this, so that they learn to stay out of trouble - especially with the recent issue regarding Seunghyun. 

  "Now, the war may be over, and muggles still continue on with their strong beliefs in magic. But magic is still a controversial issue to this day. There are still wizards who believe with magic, they should have more reign on the country. Just like there are muggles who believe that wizards are nothing more than a threat to their existence. That's why the government has issued an order to make sure every witch and wizard has to be sent to night classes to learn to control their magic and how to use it properly. They have to be taught so that history never repeats itself again."

  The students all look bored and tired despite some of them trying to look focused. Some of them tried to be inconspicuous in doing their muggle school work without him noticing. It was late at night, after all the muggle students go home, they still have to come to here for their lessons. On some days, the classes start early in the morning. Thanks to the Head's understanding, the students are allowed to join the classes when they are free and not necessarily stick to a set schedule. With the condition that they have to ace their mandated magic exams.

  "That's it for tonight. You can go," Mithra told them. The students all gathered their stuff and began to leave one by one, and Mithra packed up his things with a flick of his wand.

  "Excuse me, Sir."

  Mithra turned to see a raven hair girl talking, "Seeing that Mr. Choi is no longer available to teach us potions, I was wondering who would?"

  "We have yet to find a replacement. For now, Miss Lee Chaerin would be teaching you," he told her. Seeing the frown on her face, he asked, "Will that be a problem?"

  "No, no, I was just wondering if the rumors that the Head is planning to set a curfew for us is true. They're saying that Mr. Choi's case has lead a group of muggles to start a protest group against magic."

  "I'm sorry, I'm not at liberty to say," he told her. "We'll just have to wait until the Head says something on the matter. Right, now I must go, before the last bus leaves."

  "Thank you, Sir," Jisoo said, bowing to him, before turning to leave.

  Outside, Jisoo saw Jennie on her phone, leaning against the building wall, while waiting for her. The younger looked up at her, "Hey, you went to see Sir?"

  "Yeah, I wanted to ask him who was replacing Mr. Choi for Potions," Jisoo told her. "It's Miss Lee."

  "What did he say about the curfew?" 

  "He said that he couldn't say," Jisoo shrugged. She glanced up at the night sky, the sight of an owl flying by catches her eye. "I guess we just have to wait."

  "Ugh, I hate this. Mr. Choi messes up and suddenly we all have to pay," Jennie grumbled. "New rules, curfews. It's bad enough we had to hide our magic from the public. The institute was supposed to be the one place where we can practise magic without having to worry about being staked or something."

  Jisoo hummed in reply, having heard the complaint too many times from too many people. While she shared their sentiment, she's not sure what she could really do about it. The best thing to do is focus on her project. They walked home with mindless chatters in between them. The dark road being lit by flikering street lamps. They passed old houses and apartments huddled together. They reached an apartment where the wall was sprayed on with graffiti, and the sound of Star King playing on Mrs Kim's TV on the second floor.

  The two girls climbed up the fire escape to their place on the fifth floor. They went in through the open window, with Jisoo being unfortunate enough to bump her head on the way in. Jennie quickly tried to help comfort by rubbing her head, while trying to hide her laughter in vain. Seconds later, the two girls were giggling themselves and Jisoo got ice for her head.

  They landed on the living room couch. An old piece of furniture provided with the apartment along with the refrigerator, washing machine, the beds, closets and broken TV. They managed to fix things up with a little magic, but with very little to their name, they couldn't very well get anything pricey without jacking up the bills. The two stayed up to finish their school work. It wasn't long before their two other housemates returned with ice creams in hand, and the four friends chased the night away with laughter.

---

note to everyone. this is technically set in JK Rowling's wizarding world. but they're not at Hogwarts and things are somewhat different.

not much of a first chapter, I know. But I hope you enjoyed it c: