Prolog - Mark

Fires at Midnight
Please log in to read the full chapter

Soft rain hit the huge window Mark was standing in front of. The huge thunder clouds found their way towards the city within less than a few minutes and brought not only rain but also lightning and thunder. It wasn't unusual that a storm like this formed itself within a few minutes. This happened all the time. Sometimes even multiple times a day. In fact, it's actually more unusual to not find yourself caught up in a rainstorm.

So far Mark had only seen a hand full of days where it didn't rain. However, those days are the ones that he's been looking for the most. The city-as empty and scary as it was-looked breathtakingly beautiful in the soft purple light of the moon. It was almost like one of those fairytale landscapes you usually read about in big fantasy stories.

This city... this world... had its own set of rules. Not to forget it also had it's fair set of danger and creatures. The Kongpo for example were dangerous and deadly at once. However, they're not the only dark creature luring out there. So far Mark had been lucky enough to not encounter any of those creatures so far but he knew they were out there. Their cries at night were very effidant of that. Stories were made about those creatures. All of them featured the lore of gore, violence and death. To be fair, most of those stories were made up as a warning for the children in their group. It supposed to teach them to be careful and watchful at all times. However, most of the people around him had never seen one of those creatures they were talking about. He on the other hand had.

A sudden shudder shook Mark's body violently when he thought back to the day he had met one of those rare dangerous creatures. It felt like this event had happened forever ago but thanks to the huge word clock with the current date on it he knew that it had been only two weeks since the encounter.

It happened all of a sudden. It felt like it happened within the blink of an eye. One second he had been standing in his class room in Amerika holding a presentation about his latest science project, in the next he'd been standing in the middle of what looked like a park. Not a very big one to be fair but still big enough that one could recognise it as such.

"and that's the reason...," Mark stopped talking and looked around in confusion. The sudden change of environment caught him off guard. With furrowed eyebrows he turned his head from his left to the right to see where he was.

"Guys? Where are you all? Guys!" Mark suddenly yelled and and took an uncertain step forward. No one answered. He was alone. 
Hesitantly, he took another step forward and walked towards a huge open field in front of him. The ground was soft. When he spotted the various basketball baskets he knew why. He was standing in the middle of a sport field. A sport field that was also located in a park. Or at least he thought so as he noticed various buildings further back as well as grass meadows and trees surrounding the field. He could even spot several higher trees further in the back on his right hand side.

"This isn't funny! This actually freaks me out! Com'on guys!" Mark tried again but once again there was no answer. A deep sight left his through. 
A soft rumble suddenly filled the air which made Mark look at the sky. Huge dark clouds were building them self up right above him. It looked like it's going to start raining any moment now.

As he was thinking that the first drop fell down from the sky. With a soft splash landed the water drop on the soft floor beneath his feet. Soon after more drops followed and only a few seconds later it started to poor cats and dogs. Once again filled a loud rumble the air. There was no lightning in sight, however, the mere sound of the thunder made Mark run towards one of the trees close to him.

He had barely reached the tree when the first lightning graced the dark sky. Thunder instantly followed suit. The sound was incredibly loud and the air felt electrified. This thunderstorm was way closer than Mark wanted it to be. This could be dangerous. Deathly even.

Quickly, he took a look around and spotted a coffee shop across the street. Coffee shops meant business and people. He could get out of this storm in no time. The shop lay in the dark but who knows maybe they were experiencing a power outage from the storm. It was worth a try. Everything would be better than to stand in the rain while a thunderstorm was going on. Better safe than sorry.

Right away he prepared himself to run towards the coffee shop. His sprint came to an abru

Please log in to read the full chapter