Prolog - JaeBeom

Fires at Midnight
Please log in to read the full chapter

A low moan escaped JaeBeom's lips as he slowly but surely woke up from his sleep. His limbs ached and weighed heavily. So heavy in fact, that he barely managed to even open one of his eyes. With a lot of willpower, however, he managed to force his eyelids to do the everyday movement after a few moments of simply lying there. Unfortunately it didn't took long for gravity to gain the upper hand again, which made him close his lids within the next few seconds.

Tiredly, JaeBeom tried to turn his body around so he would be lying on his site. Once again, this simple and natural task seemed more difficult and more energy absorbing than usual. It felt as if his body was reluctant to obey him. The thought of that alone would usually quite scare the college student but even his mind was currently so foggy and tired that the thought that something might not be as it’s used to be didn’t even reach his consciousness properly. With a lot of effort, however, he managed to turn to his site. It was difficult. Difficult but not impossible.

JaeBeom suddenly noted that his bed was unusually hard. Even his pillow seemed to have gone missing while he had been fast asleep. This was very unusual. Strange even. Did he fall out of his bed again without noticing it? This must be the case. It wouldn’t have been the first time. Stupid college bunk beds.

A cold breeze reached him and caressed his skin softly. The cold air made him shudder. JaeBeom didn’t like to be cold while he was sleeping. Well… who really likes that anyways? There was a reason why people invented blankets. Soft comfy blankets.
The sudden coldness made him slowly raised his hand to pull his always warm and fluffy blanket closer. He was sure that he must have pushed it away from himself while he was sleeping. That usually was the case. Especially in warm summer nights. To his astonishment, however, was the blanket nowhere to be found – at least not without opening his eyes to properly look for it which annoyed the young student even more. The only thing that his fingers could palpate was the rough surface on which he lay and something that felt like... dirt.

This puzzled JaeBeom even more. His room was never messy or dirty in any ways as his father's many employees took prevented it from ever reaching that state which parents usually call messy. His father never had been a fan of chaos. Not in his workplace and not in his home. JaeBeom’s room had there never been an exception. Even now that he was living in a dorm with five more people he’s not able to let things lay around ar make stuff dirty. He’s not used to do that. So... how does it come that he now seemed to be touching dirt? It didn’t make any sense.

With a little more determination JaeBeom tried to open his eyes now. Vigorously he started to blink and through that finally managed to wake up. What his sleepy eyes met shortly after opening them took his breath away. This was not a sight he had expected. He was not - as he previously had thought - on the floor next to his bed. He was not even near his bed. He wasn’t even sure if he was in his own neighbourhood right now.

Below him lay the hard, cold stone floor. It was that kind of floor you usually see when you go to a park and follow the small paths through it. It was the middle of the night. The moon as well as the stars had already risen. Quickly, JaeBeom looked around but no one seemed to be in the area. It was hard to tell tough as the street lanterns weren’t spending him their usual bright light. Silence lay over the large square in which he found himself waking up on. Only a faint murmur of water in the distance reached his ears. While JaeBeom let his eyes wander over the dimly lit area the question of where he was didn't leave his mind. This place wasn’t familiar to him at all… and still he felt as if he had been here once before. It was a strange feeling. This was more than confusing. Frightening even.

Slowly, he wanted to sit up to take a closer look at the area he was in. However, as soon as he had put his left hand on the floor to push himself up, it instantly gave in on his own weight which made him fall hard on the floor below. An unbearable burning pain raced through his whole arm immediately. The pain was so strong that his eyes started to water a and threatened to form tears. Quickly, JaeBeom, gritting his teeth, sniffed the cold air and rubbed his left wrist with his right hand to drive away the pain. The way he usually does when he had one of his usual clumsy phases. This was nothing unusual. It was normal even.

While rubbing his wrist he started to notice that he didn’t feel any kind of wound or scratches in any way. When he took a look at his wrist it looked completely okay. There really wasn’t even a scratch. It was almost as if nothing had happened. So... when there was no wound… how come he’s hurting like this?

Cautiously, JaeBeom leaned on his other hand and straightened himself up. With great relief, he noticed that his body started to feel more and more awake now. His limbs were still a bit stiff from the hard floor he had been sleeping on but that was not very surprising. With the exception of the still pain throbbing wrist of his he felt completely okay.

Even though he was now standing upright and having a way better view of the area than before, he wasn't able to recognize where he was. Slowly he let his gaze wander around the grounds. Close by he could make out a big river. His eyes were glued to the beauty of the elegant and glittering liquid but something about it struck him as rather odd.
The moonlight was reflected on its surface but that alone was not particularly extraordinary. It was night, so seeing moonlight reflecting on water is more than normal. However, it was the colour of the light that wasn’t normal. Instead of the usual milky white light reflected the water a warm purple light on the water. When JaeBeom looked at it more closely, he realized that not only the reflected light on the river was purple but the whole area was engulfed in this gentle violet light.

JaeBeom raised his head to look at the sky and what he was able to see there took his breath away. The moon, which usually was a small whitish rock in the night sky was no longer small... nor did it look white. On the contrary even. The moon he was looking at right now was so big, that one almost had to fear that it would crash onto the earth any minute from now. The colour of it was different as well. The usual soft white had been replaced by a beautiful violet.

"Where am I?" JaeBeom asked himself quietly, when he lowered his eyes to the ground again. Thoughtfully, he looked at the area in front of him. The answer to his question stayed unanswered. He knew, however, that it wouldn't help him to stay where he was right now if he wanted to find his way home. His thought drifted to his own bed at home and he wished he could just teleport there to fall back asleep again.

Not that far away was a set of stairs which lead to an upper terrain. On the horizon, he saw something that looked like skyscrapers. There didn't seem to be many of them, but at least a few were there. Skyscrapers meant that people must be close by. There has to be someone up there who would be able to give him directions to go back home.

Determined, JaeBeom walked toward the slightly steep stairs and soon found himself above the square he had been standing on before. Right in front of him was a wide street. Cars, however, were nowhere to be found. An unusual sight because he was used to see such roads with dozens of cars on it at any time of the day. Never in his whole life had he seen such a big street this vacant. This felt strange. This felt… not right.

Although the street was empty, he crossed it with caution to get to the buildings on the other site. Once he reached them, he realized that those buildings seemed to be a number of commercial buildings. He quickly went to the first building and walked to the door on which the words 'pull' was written in huge letters. Although the door jerked a little it seemed to be locked and therefore wouldn't open. JaeBeom lightly bit his lower lip while he was looking for a bell. Unfortunately, he couldn't find any bell near the door. There were no letter boxes either. He wouldn't give up this quickly tough. As soon as he figured that he wouldn't be able to find help in the first building he rushed over to the next one and tried the same thing there. Unfortunately, none of the doors would budge.

While checking out the buildings and not finding any door that would let him in, he got further and further away for the place where he had woken up a few minutes ago. But that didn't bother him much.
After a while the facades began to change. The big companies with their huge doorways became well-kept shops and cute looking coffee shops. JaeBeom started to inspect the shops with much interest. The signs on the doors and the printed writings on

Please log in to read the full chapter