ii.

run for your life, melos!

Minkyung frantically ran around her father’s property. She had no time to scold herself for forgetting to lock the gate before running off with Siyeon to watch the races because now she had to face the consequences of her recklessness.

Her father would kill her if he found out one of the dragons escaped.

And Minkyung would never forgive herself. She was doing all of this – taking care of the farm all on her own – to prove her worth, after all. That she was not as useless as her father may have thought.

She cursed to herself as she trudged through the thick green of the pasture, holding on to a thread of hope that perhaps the young blue dragon happened to be resting somewhere nearby. Nova was a pesky one, with too much energy and too much enthusiasm when it came to hide-and-seek.

Minkyung looked up to the sky. The blue was already fading to warmer shades of orange, telling her that dusk was fast approaching. To make matters worse, dark clouds had just moved through. That was not a good sign.

If she couldn’t find the dragon before night fell, she’d have to say goodbye to her social life and hello to weeks of labour on the land courtesy of her father and his idea of fair punishments.

“Now is the wrong time to play hide-and-seek, Nova…” she murmured as she slipped through the gate and hurried into the woods near their farm.

+

The sun was quickly setting. Resting against a tree, exhausted from repeated unsuccessful calls for the young dragon, Minkyung’s ears picked up a rustle. Following the noise, she found a source of light through the trees and stumbled into an open area.

A wave of relief washed over her like a tsunami when the blue dragon appeared before her eyes, rolling around another person.

“Nova!” Minkyung exclaimed, running towards the blue creature. She wrapped her arms around the restless dragon, ignoring its squirming.

“You’re a lifesaver!” Minkyung exclaimed. Turning to the girl, Minkyung blinked once she saw who it was. Dark brown eyes blinked back at her. “Yebin? You’re…Yebin, aren’t you?”

She received a nod in reply.  

Minkyung looked around and noticed the striking ash grey dragon that stole all her attention earlier in the day resting under a tree.

Nova ducked out of her hold, pulling Minkyung’s attention back to the girl in front of her. Yebin held out a hand towards Nova as the blue dragon strode back to her, letting her blue scales run under Yebin’s fingertips.

Minkyung couldn’t help the soft smile on her face as she watched Nova curl around Yebin. “Looks like she likes you.”  

“She just showed up. Hasn’t stopped playing around since,” murmured Yebin quietly, looking down at the blue dragon now lying at her feet.

Nova was a deep vivid blue, much like azurite. She stuck out like a sore thumb in the green forest.

Minkyung walked over and crouched, petting the blue dragon on its head. “Her name is Nova. She’s a ball of energy.”

“She even tired out Melos,” Yebin replied. Her voice was small, but her remark had Minkyung chuckling. Yebin averted her gaze when Minkyung looked up at her with her crescent eyes.

Who would’ve thought she’d run into the mysterious Yebin in the middle of the woods.

“It’s funny meeting you here.” Minkyung stood up and gave another look around. “…What are you doing in the middle of the woods?”

But the only response Yebin gave her was a shrug. Minkyung narrowed her eyes. Clearly, Yebin wasn’t much of a conversationalist.

“Okay then… Do you have a place to stay for the night?” Minkyung asked.

Yebin looked up. “Hm, I’d rather sleep under the stars with Melos.”

“It’s dangerous in these woods.”

“I can take care of myself.”

Minkyung snorted, successfully catching Yebin off-guard. “You don’t even look like you’ve passed your twentieth year. You’re a child.”

“I am not!” Yebin retorted, clearly offended, the lines between her eyebrows deepening as if they had been etched.

Minkyung shook her head, directing her gaze to the darkening sky. “Look, the clouds are heavy and the birds are flying low,” she explained before pointing at Yebin’s small fire, “and the smoke is curling. Rain is coming, you know.”

Yebin narrowed her eyes, skeptical, but almost as if Mother Nature had snapped her fingers, large heavy drops suddenly fell from the sky. The two girls ran towards the base of the tree, but it was no use. The rain broke through the canopy.

Melos, now fully awake, had become restless. Yebin tried to soothe him with little success.

“I told you so!” Minkyung shouted through the sound of heavy raindrops. Grabbing Yebin’s wrist, she lead her and the two dragons out of the woods before Yebin could even attempt to protest.

+

“My name is Minkyung. And since I’ve now introduced myself, we’re no longer strangers.”

She looked at Yebin expectantly from the other side of the wooden table. The other girl was holding her still-full cup quietly, staring out the window. Outside, the rain pelted the glass and lightning illuminated the night sky with thunderous cracks. If she was glad not to be out there, Minkyung couldn't tell from her face. 

“Um…are your clothes dry now?” Minkyung asked in a poor attempt at conversation.

Yebin didn’t seem to be paying attention. Minkyung wasn't sure why she kept trying to make conversation with someone who was clearly uninterested.

“You’re not much of a talker.”

At this, Yebin turned to look at her. “Sorry. I’m not very curious of other people’s lives.”

Minkyung rolled her eyes. "I never asked you to listen to my life story." 

But Yebin had already zoned out again. Minkyung shifted in her seat; Yebin was tough to crack. She seemed to be thinking about something, but Minkyung didn't have it in her to ask her about it. 

“Well…alright. See you tomorrow," Minkyung murmured. She was unsure why she suddenly felt like helping the girl, but something within had compelled her to offer Melos shelter in the stable and Yebin a spare room in her home. It felt like the right thing to do. 

Yebin didn’t talk much, save for her repeated thanks. It was clear to Minkyung that she was hesitant, that she’d rather say ‘no, thank you’, but the unrelenting storm outside drove her indoors.  

Excusing herself with a bow, she requested Yebin to blow out the candles before bed and retreated to her room.

+

There was sunshine the next morning.

Minkyung wasn’t much of a cook, but she figured she should at least try to treat the guest she had haphazardly invited into her home with breakfast. That, and Minkyung woke up feeling too eager to please.

On second thought, Minkyung wondered if it really was the right thing to do letting a complete stranger into her house, but well, Yebin looked trustworthy enough, even if she wasn’t much of a talker. Besides, she looked like she needed some help.

Was this the gods’ way of telling her to get her act together? To be kinder and more generous before karma caught up? That she had a debt and the only way to pay it off was with good deeds?

Nevertheless, Minkyung was determined to prove herself.

She knocked on the door of the spare room twice. “Breakfast is ready.”

Silence. She knocked again, and then a fourth time, before slowly sliding it open. 

“Huh?” Minkyung said. The room was empty and the bed was made; it looked as if no one stayed there at all.

Minkyung hurried outside, pulling open the stable doors with a grunt. To her disappointment, there was nothing but a dragon-sized imprint on the spot she had left Melos in the night before. She noticed the other dragons were happily munching though. It seemed like the feeds had been refilled.

Minkyung found Nova scratching her claws by the doors. Running her hand along the rough blue scales on her back, Minkyung sighed and pursed her lips.

“Was refilling the feeds her way of showing gratitude?" Minkyung asked as she looked at Nova, "Still, I would've preferred if she didn't leave without a word...”

+

If Siyeon found out that Minkyung went to the track without her, she would’ve undoubtedly gave her an earful and perhaps an interrogation. It was unlike Minkyung, after all, to go to the track on her own volition. 

So Minkyung made sure to remain hidden from Siyeon as she cautiously explored around. She wanted to find Yebin and maybe give her an earful too on how to be more grateful. The race wasn’t starting for a few more hours and yet, just like the day before, the track was already bustling with villagers. 

She recalled the path Siyeon took her through the day prior, but just as she was about to turn into the back of the stable, the sounds of an altercation caused her to hide. Peeking from the side of the stable, Minkyung gasped as she saw Yebin being shoved to the ground.

“Get off yer high horse, kid,” a man grunted, “have some respect before stepping on the track with that poor excuse of a drag’n.”

Kicking dirt onto her clothes, he then taunted the frightened Melos before stomping away.

Minkyung ran out of her hiding spot and dropped to her knees at Yebin’s side. Her earlier irritation over Yebin leaving without a word seemingly diminished upon seeing the girl on the ground.

“Are you okay?!”

She tried to help, but Yebin got up on her own, brushing the dirt off her clothes.

“You’re hurt,” Minkyung said, noticing the trail of red from Yebin’s split lip. When she tried to reach for Yebin’s arms, the younger girl evaded her hands and ran over to Melos.

Unfortunately, he suffered the same beating. Rather than appearing smooth like river stones, Melos' grey scales were covered in scratches. He whimpered as Yebin cradled his head in her arms, whispering words Minkyung couldn’t hear from where she kneeled.

“Come on, come on now, Melos, you can do it,” Yebin murmured, trying to get the helpless dragon up on his feet. But Melos could only stagger and Minkyung ran over and helped catch him just as he was about to fall.

“Both of you need to be treated,” Minkyung said as she inspected Melos’ wounds with worry in her eyes.

“No, no, w-we have a race,” Yebin stammered as she shook her head.

“You’re in no condition to race!” Minkyung retorted in disbelief.

Yebin looked at her with wide eyes. “T-there’s only one race today, I can’t afford to miss it!”

“Look at Melos, he’s injured! And if you won’t let me treat you, then fine, but at least let me take a look at Melos before his wounds get infected!”

Hearing Melos’ whimpers, Yebin gave in.

+

Minkyung took them back to the farm. Surprisingly, Yebin was the first to break the silence that had fallen.

“…Where’d you learn how to take care of dragons?” Yebin suddenly asked. Her voice was small, but there was a fascination in her tone that couldn’t be missed. She watched Minkyung treat Melos’ scratches with gentle hands.

“My father. I’ve been around dragons all my life, but I’ve always been too frightened to ride one,” Minkyung answered.

“Your father…where is he?” Yebin asked tentatively, unsure if it was okay to bring up.

Minkyung sensed her cautiousness and chuckled. She was just glad Yebin finally seemed interested enough to converse with her. “He’s…away. Should be back in a few days,” she replied. Short and straight to the point.

Frankly, Yebin didn’t need to know that her father had stormed out on her a few days prior, criticizing Minkyung’s lack of initiative on the way out. They had been growing apart for whatever reason - either Minkyung was unsure or she didn't want to think about it. He had grown tired of not only her groans whenever he asked for assistance, but also her ability to elude her responsibilities. His shouting words to her still rang in her mind.

“You’re useless around here! Do you ever think of anyone but yourself?!”

She knew he didn’t mean it and that they were just hurtful words that transpired in the heat of the moment. Still, it felt like all the problems Minkyung had shoved out of her sight came crashing back on her. Minkyung wasn't sure why she always acted so selfishly; perhaps she had always been like this. 

But now she was doing something about it. Minkyung was on a mission of her own, one of redemption and self-worth.

“Melos’ injuries aren’t serious, thankfully, but I advise you let him rest.”

“Thank you, Minkyung, truly,” Yebin uttered, “I don’t know why you’re helping me, but…I appreciate it.”

“I’m a nice person, believe it or not,” Minkyung replied lightheartedly, though it felt more like she was saying it to herself than to Yebin. As if saying it out loud would make it sound more believable.

“You are,” Yebin reassured. Minkyung grinned. Though she had heard more than enough thank you’s from Yebin ever since she found the girl in the woods the previous day, this simple reassurance gave her a greater feeling of satisfaction more than anything.

She switched her attention to Yebin, reaching up to wipe the blood from the corner of her lips. Since they had already closed this much distance physically, Minkyung figured she’d give it a shot closing the nonphysical distance as well.

“What happened?” she asked, keeping her focus on Yebin’s injuries.

She noticed early on that the younger girl would avert her gaze whenever Minkyung tried to look at her in the eye. Was she still shy? Minkyung hoped she didn’t make Yebin feel uneasy.

Yebin gave her a small shrug. “Sore loser, perhaps,” she muttered, wincing when Minkyung touched the cut on her lip.

“Well, he’s a pathetic excuse for a man if he goes around beating teenage girls,” Minkyung said bitterly. Noticing Yebin’s lack of anger, it almost seemed like Minkyung was the one who was more upset over what happened. “Aren’t you angry?”

“I don’t want to waste my energy getting angry over such a pathetic excuse for a man,” Yebin answered and Minkyung couldn't help but smirk.

“Good answer,” Minkyung replied. “How long have you been with Melos?”

“Ever since I was young.”

“Hm, I could tell. You two seem very close. He’s pretty fast, isn’t he? I really thought Geumwa was going to win yesterday. How’d you do it?”

Yebin shrugged. “He turned too wide at the last turn.”

“Ah...racing must be tough on both you and Melos, huh? Why do you race?”

Yebin's voice shrunk. “You’re asking too many questions…”

“And you’re receiving free medical care. Consider this your fee.”

Minkyung noticed that her retort surprised Yebin, but well, what did she expect? When Minkyung received snark, she would give it right back.  

“Because it’s fun,” Yebin murmured.

Minkyung hummed, though she wasn’t convinced. She had always been too observant for her own good. Nevertheless, she figured she shouldn’t press; Yebin must’ve been keeping it to herself for a reason and Minkyung had no business in her affairs. They were certainly no longer strangers, but they weren’t exactly friends either.

She dressed the last of Yebin’s wounds on her arm. The man had left too many ugly marks on her.

“All done.”

As if on cue, Yebin immediately stood up, but only ended up staggering as she winced in pain. Out of instinct, Minkyung grabbed the younger girl's arms to help steady her. 

“You need to rest.”

“What I need to do is race,” Yebin said through gritted teeth.

“Didn’t you listen to me? You’re in no condition to race.”

“But I have to, it’s the only reason I’m in this village in the first place!” Yebin exclaimed, stepping out of Minkyung’s hold. Exasperated, Minkyung rose to her feet.

“So stubborn... You're the type to ignore your injuries when you set your mind on something, I get it,” she said, “but please, at the very least, could you be more mindful of Melos? Since you seem to think that you’re fine to race, I can tell you that he isn’t.”

Yebin glanced over at her dragon. Melos was lying on the ground, his tail spinning lazily in the air. She faltered at his drained appearance and sank back onto the stool, though she was still visibly very conflicted.

Minkyung could sense her determination to get on that track and perhaps that was when her heart softened. She let out a sigh and crossed her arms.

I really hope I don’t regret this…gods up there, are you watching me?

“If you need to race, then…" Minkyung swallowed before clenching her fists, "then I'll lend you one of our dragons." At this, Yebin’s eyes darted to her in surprise. “Of course, racing with a dragon you’ve never ridden before will affect your performance. But you can try riding Nova. She already likes you, after all, and while it’s not much of a relationship…at least it is one.”

“Huh? You- you'd do that?” Yebin asked, rising to her feet. “But…no, but…I-I can only win with Melos.”

Minkyung raised an eyebrow. “Is winning the only thing you care about?”

Yebin dropped her shoulders, almost confused at the question. “I-well, of course! Why else would I race?”

“You said you did it for fun.”

“There’s that. But what’s the point if I don’t go in it with a mindset of winning first? There’s prize money on the line,” Yebin answered defensively.

Minkyung unfolded her arms, slightly taken aback. This was the most Yebin had spoken to her ever since they met. “Of course. Sorry.”

Yebin blinked and took a step back, suddenly conscious of the volume her voice had gotten. “W-would you really let me race with Nova? You know i-it’s risky.”

“I know. But don’t underestimate her, you saw how spunky she is. She’s never raced, but she’s got plenty of energy. Out of all the dragons we have, Nova is probably your best bet.”

The younger girl was still visibly hesitant. It was not the right moment to be amused, but Minkyung still found it amusing. Yebin may seem like she was good at hiding her true feelings, but sometimes she was as transparent as glass.

“I’m only doing this because you’re so insistent on racing. I can tell winning must be very important for you. I mean, yesterday’s prize money was more than enough for food and shelter, and yet you chose to sleep in the woods,” Minkyung said as her gaze dropped to Yebin’s clothing, “er...you could also afford nicer clothes– no offence!– and Melos’ saddle is all tattered too. You don’t even race with proper equipment. Clearly you’re not spending the money on yourself.”

Yebin widened her eyes, surprised at how much attention Minkyung had been paying her. She never usually stuck around long enough for people to notice anything. “I…didn’t know anyone noticed.”

Minkyung suddenly became bashful. “You piqued my curiosity,” she admitted, smiling when Yebin ducked her head in embarrassment. “The point is…people call you greedy for having your eye on the prize, which doesn't really make sense to me... And rather than a want, I feel it’s more of a need. You must be racing for something more meaningful. I want to help. And like I said before, don’t worry about Nova. My father raises our dragons to be strong enough on their own without harming humans.”

Yebin fiddled with her fingers, keeping her gaze on the floor. “I’m surprised at how much you’ve learned about me just through observations. I’m grateful, really, I am, but even so…I can only win with Melos.”

“Eh, have some more faith in yourself. You’ll be surprised at the strength of people during times of need. I know you’ve already got quite the resolve,” Minkyung said. “Hey, I feel silly advising a dragon racer on dragon racing. Just do your best.”

She gave Yebin an encouraging smile, her kind eyes turning into those distinct crescents Yebin had seen the day before.

“T-thank you,” was the only thing Yebin could say. She felt warmth creeping up her neck, but before the red could embarrassingly spread to her cheeks, Minkyung shot her with another question.

“I was wondering something. Why don’t you wear any protective gear?”

“Oh. Uh…they weigh me down,” Yebin explained, “I don’t need them anyway. I never fall off.”

“Hm? How can you be so sure?”

“Because I’m in control. People wear them because they’re scared. I don’t because I trust Melos as much as I trust myself. Besides…if you fall off your dragon during a race, then you shouldn’t be a dragon racer anyway.”

Yebin’s sudden expression of confidence drew out an admiring smirk from Minkyung. “I admit that you might’ve sounded kind of cool just now…but your logic is still silly.”

Yebin felt like shrinking once again when the warmth on her neck returned. Luckily for her, Minkyung didn’t notice and instead left the room abruptly, returning a minute later with a crate of gear.

“I have one condition for letting you ride Nova. Wear these,” Minkyung said, “just in case. These were my father’s when he used to race. I’d rather you be safe.”

Before Yebin could even try to decline, Minkyung was already placing a helmet on her head. She was incredibly insistent and Yebin figured that she was in no position to complain after all that Minkyung had done for her.

All she could do was stand there as Minkyung wrapped the guards carefully around her arms. Yebin was touched by the gesture.