When The Time Stops

Stay With Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Hello there! Many changes were made in this chapter from the previous version as I was seeing and modifying the notes and plans I have for the story's plot. I really like how this turned since you'll find it more detailed in some things, you'll see where ;). Don't forget to leave feedback. Enjoy!.

_______________________________________

 

Usually, Yeri dreamed whenever she slept. She was sure of it. But just like everyone, sometimes she managed to remember said dreams, sometimes not. Most of the time she forgot what her dreams were even about the second she opened her eyes. But this time though, something was different. She did remember, clearly. 

 

It was all darkness. It surrounded her. And she was not the only one there, wherever it was. There was someone else with her, too close as if they were almost embrancing each other. Yeri felt an immense need to get out and judging by the other's movements, they felt it too. She was restless, looking for something, anything that would let her see outside the space she felt was closing and closing every second that went by. Suddenly a small gash appeared before them, letting a string of light enter as she felt the stranger's presence beside her shift to be gone seconds after. Her eyes adjusted to the glow source, clearing little by little until there were some forms visible at the distance: leafs, trees and... a river?

 

She didn't have time to focus better. Her eyes closed before opening as quick, feeling blinded by the light once again as she was pulled out of the dark.

 

That's all.

 

It made her curious, remembering as clear as she did. Not because it was a dream, or the meaning behind it but because of the feeling of it. The strangest part was that it didn't feel like a dream at all, but more like a distant memory. She felt all, including another person's desperation and- pain? But it wasn't the one with her in the darkness, it was someone else.

 

She wanted to know more, but how-

 

"I didn't know you liked milk with cereal not cereal with milk". A sleepy voice pulled the short haired from her thoughts. Yeri looked down, noticing her bowl of cereal dripping milk from the sides. "Oh- ". Yeri moved around quickly looking for a towel before she cleaned the mess she just made, dropping the bowl in the kitchen sink. 

 

"Can you make another? I'm too sleepy to move". Joy said, sitting in front of her roomate fighting to keep her eyes open. Yeri chuckled, taking two bowls from the counter. "It's 5:30, isn't it too early for you?".

 

Yawning, Joy followed the shorter girl with her eyes. "Yeah, I was supossed to have class until 12 but Professor Song said she couldn't make it so she changed class to 7". Joy replied with a frown. 

 

Yeri placed the cereal in front of the taller girl, chuckling at Joy's face. "You should really learn to get up early, you still have some drool in your face". Joy's hand immediately went up to her cheek, scowling after. Yeri was just teasing her. "What did you expect? Most of my classes are from midday and after! The only good thing is that it's my only class of the day". Joy looked down, playing with her spoon before smiling dreamily. "Good thing. I have a date to get ready to".

 

Yeri rolled her eyes, eating as fast as she could. "You have many hours no matter what but sure, can't keep your girlfriend waiting".

 

Joy spat some cereal from , coughing after.

 

Yeri was just giving her an amused look. "You'll have to clean this". 

 

The taller took a napkin and cleaned her face before doing the same to the table. "I-Irene is not my girlfriend... yet". 

 

"Are you sure?". Yeri shrugged. "It's been a month and something since you've been going out, not to mention you spend a lot of time together. That's what I would call dating". The younger smirked. "And we've had to endure hearing you talking about her endlessl-"

 

"Okay! I get your point". Joy raised her voice, shutting up her roomate succesfully.

 

It was true though. After their first date they had seen each other more frequently, sometimes they had dinner, others they talked while going unconsciouly to the park from the first day. Joy liked when they walked in silence, their fingers intertwining slowly until they were holding hands. Joy had been bold enough to do it the first time. She still hadn't forgotten how Irene about it but her held hand tighter, caressing her knuckles and mirroring the grin that appeared on Joy's face when she did that. Now that she thought about it, they really spent most of their free time together, excluding those times when both were busy grading papers or studying for exams of course. 

 

Still, Joy wasn't really sure they were 'dating' but Yeri had a point, it sounded like they were.

 

Even though in Wendy's words they were going "too slow".

 

Her thoughts drifted to that time. Irene walked her to her and Yeri's apartment, it was already late and they wouldn't be seeing each other in a few days since they'd be busy. They were in the sidewalk, laughing. Hands still in a hold when Irene stood in front of her. The raven haired looked down, caressing Joy's hand with her thumb as she usually did and looked up, a spark in her eyes suddenly present. The lighting from the street made her look even more beautiful than ususal, like she was glowing. Joy scoffed smiling, how was that even possible?. Irene simpered, standing closer as she played with their fingers, bringing their hands up so both could see what she was doing. Joy couldn't tear her eyes away from her, her heartbeat fastening when she noticed Irene slowly closed the little distance they had left and leaned her forehead with the younger one's. Irene's expression softened and Joy was sure she was about to die. She froze. Was Irene gonna...

 

Cautiously, the raven haired leaned in. 

 

Both could feel the other's breathing tickling their faces, Joy's rather quick, Irene's one calm. The younger closed her eyes waiting expectantly for what was to happen, their lips milimeters apart. Maybe if she just leaned in too-

 

A pair of lights and the sound of a honk made them jump in surprise. One of the building's neighbours was trying to open the entranceway they were blocking apparently. Irene chuckled, shaking her head before taking Joy's hand again and leading her to the place's actual door. "See you next week then, hmh?". Irene leaned in once more but this time, it was the corner of Joy's lips she kissed. "Goodnight Joy". She smiled, turning around to walk away and leaving a dazzled Joy behind.

 

After that, Joy couldn't stop thinking about how Irene's lips would feel against hers, were they sweet? soft? what would they taste like?. But there was something Joy was sure about, it would happen eventually yeah, definitely. And even if she couldn't stop her mind from thinking about it, she didn't feel like rushing things. After all, she didn't want to screw up like she had done in the past. Though she had a feeling there was no way that'd happen.

 

Everything felt right, going as it should be. 

 

"Earth to Joy". Yeri waved her hand in front of her roomate's face. 

 

"Sorry". Joy let a low chuckle. "I was just... thinking".

 

"Yeah, I could tell".

 

The taller looked at Yeri. "Uhm. It isn't awkward for you? When I talk about her?". Yeri shrugged. "Not really. Still, she recently asked me to be her TA. I really hope she won't talk about you the same ". Yeri smirked, looking at Joy as a small blush filled her cheeks. "I'll try to talk less about it". The taller said, noticing her friend eating at a fast pace. "Are you running late?". 

 

Yeri looked down at her spoon. "Oh, no. I just want to get to work early, it's my first day". Joy nodded slowly, remembering her friend got a job as a barista in the campus' cafeteria. Yeri had said she had some hours to kill and it was just for fun, but instantly Joy wondered if Yeri could manage her time right now that she accepted being Irene's TA. The short haired girl finished her cereal, leaving the bowl in the sink before rushing to brush her teeth. 

 

Joy yawned again, taking a spoonful when Yeri walked to the front door. "See you later!". 

 

"Don't forget to bring me the cookies I told you about!".

 

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever!". Yeri closed the door behind her as Joy chuckled and rolled her eyes, smiling. The taller took a spoonful of cereal and continued eating, feeling

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter