To The Airport We Go To Meet Kim Kibum

Country Meets Korean

*Sam’s POV*

The warm summer breeze tossed my hair around as I let lose on the reins. I moved with the horse as we cantered across the open acres of farmland owned by my family.

“Get ready Sunbeam,” I whispered in my horse’s ear as we neared the low white fence that separated the barnyard from the rest of the land. We flew over the fence with ease, landing gracefully on the other side.

“Good boy!” I smiled, patting his neck as we slowed down to a trot.

“Sam, come inside and get ready. We’re leaving in ten minutes!” I heard my mom shout from the front porch of the farmhouse.

I waved to her to let her know I heard, and directed Sunbeam toward the barn.

“You did good today, boy,” I said leading him into his stall after dismounting. “Soon we’ll be ready for competition jumps.” I kissed him on the nose and he whinnied.

“I’ll take care him for you.”

I turned around to see Greyson standing behind me.

“Oh; hey Greyson! You’re not coming to the airport with us?” I asked.

“Nah, there’s too much to do around here. I’ll meet this Asian guy when he gets here.”

“He's Korean; and make sure you’re nice to him. Just because he’s from a different country doesn’t mean he’s any different from us.”

“Sam! Three minutes!” Gosh my mom is impatient.

“Coming mom!” I shouted. “Looks like I’d better get going. Thanks for taking care of Sunbeam for me!” I shouted as I ran out of the barn.

I ran upstairs, changed into something that didn’t smell like horses, fixed my hair, then ran out to the idling pickup truck in which my parents were waiting.

“All buckled up?” asked my dad as he put the truck in drive.

“All buckled up,” I winked.

“You’re form is getting better,” my dad said after driving in silence for a few minutes.

“Good; I’m hoping to start practicing on real jumps within the next two weeks,” I said.

“Just remember not to rush things too much.”

“Dad, its fine.”

My dad was always worrying about Sunbeam because of his life before he came to us. He had been abused and couldn’t trust anyone; that is, until he met me. I found Sunbeam one day when we had gone to the animal rescue center to donate pet food. He was out in one of the pastures. Everyone warned me not to get close, but I didn’t listen and stood up on the fence. When he came walking over to me and let me pet his nose, everyone just looked on in awe. That day we left with a horse in our trailer, and I knew my life would never be the same.

After about an hour, we finally reached the airport. We were about ten minutes early so we found a bench and sat, waiting for this Korean boy to show up.

“What’s his name again, Daddy?”

“Kim Kibum,” he answered me.

“Kim Kibum…”

Finally the plane came in. I could feel butterflies of excitement begin to form in my stomach. What would Kim Kibum be like? Would he be nice? Attractive? Funny? I scanned the crowd of people trying to find him.

“There he is!” shouted my father.

My eyes practically bugged out of my head at the sight I saw.