Blue

Rainbows Behind the Clouds

 

He had always eat at the eatery because of the many side dishes he would get with his meal but reaching the shop he changed his mind and ordered a takeout instead. Now he knows why. He thought the unsettled feeling he had was just hungry since he only had a piece of bread during lunchbreak but it was an apologetic instead, for making someone waited for him even though he never promised to meet them.

He hugs Joonmyeon tightly, refraining himself from crushing the student because it would make Joonmyeon want to escape from his hug and Yifan can't have that. Not at least for a couple more seconds. And he already being generous too, a long hug for disappearing for two weeks, when he should be getting apologies for making him worry half his life and a hug back. It is not like he is asking for a kiss on a cheek or anything.

He purses his lips, a whiff of Joonmyeon's scent filling his sense as he takes a breathe, giving the student one last squeeze before letting him go. He takes a step back, finally looking properly at Joonmyeon as he was so overwhelmed earlier the second he realized who that was squatting in front of his apartment to think straight.

The student look well. His hair has grown a little as the front almost reaching his eyes, which no longer have bags under it. The clothes looks new, so does the bandages on his hands. Yifan takes one of them into his, wondering how those get on the small hand and was the wrist this thin before. He looks at Joonmyeon in the eyes. There are so many things he wants to ask him even though he know the student won't answer any of them but he doesn't mind. Joonmyeon is here and that is all that matters.

He unlock the front door, letting the student enter first before following suits. He goes straight into the kitchen, transfering his takeout into a plate before nodding at Joonmyeon that is standing by the  kitchen entrance to come over and take a seat at the table.

"Eat." He places a glass of water beside the plate of fried rice and circles the table to sit right across Joonmyeon.

"Isn't this yours?" The student is looking at him with frown on his face and Yifan ignores it. "Just eat it. I'm fine." He takes a sip of his water while watching Joonmyeon chewing his food. It is cliche but he does feel full watching the student eat. He isn't inhaling the food but he does look like he hasn't eaten for hours.

"Did you wait long?" The question raises the student's face to look at Yifan and he swallows the food inside his mouth. "Four."

He glances at his wrist watch. It is almost nine. 'Since four' or 'four hours' is practically the same. It is nearing exam week and he has been staying late at school since Monday. Skipping lunches paid off as he was able to finish his works early, which allowed him to go back an hour earlier than the rest of the week today. He breathes out as those glisten lips tuns into a pout at the sight of another pea.

Everything pays off.

 

-----

 

"Where do I put the towel?"

Yifan turns towards the voice and the bag of potato chip he was trying to open almost slipped from his hand at the sight he is seeing. It is the smallest T-shirt that he owned but apparently his student is much smaller than that. And his shorts that is usually around his knees is covering half of those skinny calfs.

He walks over and takes the towel off his student's hand, gesturing him to go to the living room while he heads toward the laundry room. It is not he 'must be' crazy, he 'is' crazy. Having the towel Joonmyeon just used over his nose while standing in front of the washing machine, he is amaze with himself being able to smell something that isn't his bodywash or shampoo or even his toothpaste. Even Minseok could smell the green apple mint sometimes when they greet each other in the morning but the vanilla. There has never been a vanilla before.

He goes back to the living room and takes a seat at the empty end of the 3-seated couch, grabbing the already opened potato chip bag and stares at the television where the size of Earth being compared with Jupiter's red spot while his mind trying to come up with a proper opening to start a conversation with Joonmyeon so that the student could slowly start to tell his story of being missing for two weeks and why coming to his house.

Being reminded of the Moon could possibly was formed from Earth's own comet-hit chunks, he faces Joonmyeon, which makes his question disappeared into nowhere and is left with him staring at the side profile of pale face. Was that scar under the right eye there before? The cheekbone is showing more than last time. How long ago was that cut on the bottom lip?

"I'm quitting school."

It takes a few second for Yifan's eyebrows to shoot up as the statement caught him off-guard and he almost lashed out at the student before being reminded by himself that that way doesn't work with Joonmyeon. "What... what do you mean?"

"I've found a job in another city. I'm going to keep working there."

'That is what I've been doing for the past two weeks. The boss and other people are nice unlike at the school and it pays better than the minimart so I have no reason to stay here.' Yifan can hear the rest from the blank face. "What about Sophia?"

"I'm going to see her tomorrow, before coming back for her."

'I will make so much money and then I will take her with me so we can live together and she will never have to collect recyclables anymore.' He purses his lips. 'What about me?'

Those small eyes are staring right into his, as if the student heard his unspoken words and Yifan had hoped he does, before they turned away from him and back at the television.

"What about me?"