Chapter 5

Hit the ground

He should get some furniture. Baekhyun took a circular look at his room, realizing how empty it was. It had always been, since he had arrived there, a few weeks ago. There was his bed, a simple mattress on the floor, laying there as though a former owner had forgotten it, the clothes he had worn before coming home, and a few second-hand books he had bought from a former student living next door. Curled up onto his mattress, Baekhyun kept looking in front of him. From there, he could see the window and appreciate the slow, peaceful course of the clouds passing by. The most relaxing sigh, he thought.

He stood up and approached the sill, mentally rewinding Chanyeol’s words. Not much of a big deal, he said. Following the clouds, Baekhyun released a sigh and shook his head before laying eyes on the road. He did not care about his outfit: walking into his apartment during the day had never been a problem, since his arrival. People never looked up. Their eyes were stuck onto their phones, their heads bowed to the ground as they walked around. They did not even bother looking at one another. Only the children did. They were the one who pointed at the sky and told their parents what wonderful form clouds had created. Only they could really see.

Standing in front of the window, Baekhyun crossed his arms, quietly listening to the voices in the corridor. What made it necessary to buy furniture and arrange his room was not that Baekhyun wanted it to be comfortable. He had to do it because otherwise people would start asking questions, and questions were dangerous. He was the new neighbor nobody knew, he was the person people had to learn to know, and at some time or another, he would have to invite people.

“Still have time for this.” He whispered to himself before going to the fitted kitchen of his room, grabbing a drink in the fridge. It took him two weeks to find him. Two weeks, and he could still feel the backlash. Nausea, giddiness, tiredness. A soft sigh escaped his lips as he walked back to the other room and he put his can of soda on the ground as he sat down on the mattress. With one hand, he swept a small amount of fluff under it. He should get a broom or one of those vaccum things they used…

He had been losing a lot of it lately.