Chapter 4

Hit the ground

“The… Sky?”

Baekhyun looked so serious that Chanyeol barely found something to reply and kept sipping his drink, standing up to grab a bag of crips in the cupboard before going back to sit on his bed. Seeing the sky had never been one of his main concern about living in that apartment block and it would probably never be.

“Yes. When you look through the window, you just see the alleyway and the next building…”

“That’s not much of a big deal, actually.”

The student could not help noticing how Baekhyun was blinking, as if he had realized something important while he was listening to him. Then the shorter looked back at the window, considering it for a moment before laying eyes on Chanyeol again as a smile curled his lips.

“No, you’re right… Not much of a big deal.” He admitted, though only in appearance.

The way Baekhyun reacted to something as trivial as the sight Chanyeol had from his window triggered a feeling of worry in the taller’s mind. He furrowed his brows, taking another sip from his drink as he looked at Baekhyun, who was now sitting on the chair in front of his desk. For a good two minutes, he seemed a bit off and Chanyeol did not dare to speak until the silence seemed too thick to breathe.

“So.” Chanyeol said, cutting the silence short as he sat against the wall, drinking and munching on some crips. He handed the bag to Baekhyun, but he shook his head.

“Why did you leave, yesterday?” He asked, with a full mouth of food.

Baekhyun seemed to lighten up once again, as if he had been particularly happy to go back to another topic.

“I already told you, I had an urgent call and I had to leave.” He replied, in a tone that proved that explication should be enough.

“And…”

“None of your business. Out of questions yet?”

Chanyeol chuckled, realizing how right and serious Baekhyun was, even if he was laughing. He had never been skilled when it came to conversation, but it seemed like it was worse when it came to Baekhyun. He was used to talking with Naehee, who always looked bored or looking down on him when he was telling her about his day. He was used to listening her talking about her and about all the things she could do. Baekhyun was quite the opposite: he never told a thing about himself, except when he was asked to, and this was kind of unsettling for someone whose only habit was to listen quietly.

But the most unsettling thing of all this was that the more Baekhyun stayed with him, the more Chanyeol wanted to know about him. Unfortunately, as Baekhyun had told him, all those things were none of his business and he could only sit there, watching silently, waiting for Baekhyun to  talk by himself, without a chance to ask questions, even if they were hard to contain. He could not know everything. It was impossible.

“I’m sorry.” He said. “I’m not good at conversation.” Baekhyun shook his head with an amused smile. His eyes were smiling too. Chanyeol thought he looked like those pixies in movies. But he was not a pixie. For all he knew, pixies did not exist.

“I already know that.”

Chanyeol blinked at the words, not knowing what they could mean. Was Baekhyun already fed up with him? The student furrowed his brows and took another sip from his drink, humming softly as he tried to think of another topic. A soft chuckle escaped his lips.

“Okay so… What do you like? I mean… except video game parties and pretending you drink vodka?”

A soft chuckle crossed Baekhyun’s lips as he tilted his heads, thinking for seconds.

“I like food, animals, oh and arts, I really, really like arts.” He replied quickly.

Chanyeol nodded, a grin forming onto his lips with each thing Baekhyun added. Those were good. Those were things he liked himself, and the thought maybe he found a friend in Baekhyun, the friend he had been waiting for for years. A friend who was not Naehee, with her eternal egotism and forgetfulness. However, Baekhyun did not return the question and stood up, looking around once again as Chanyeol kept sipping his drink. The former’s eyes travelled across the room, as though he had been looking for something invisible, something he could not find where he expected it. The only thing he could find was the desk, overwhelmed with notebooks, pens and a large sheet of paper covered in doodles and notes. He sat back onto the chair.

“Is everything alright?” Chanyeol asked, upon noticing the other’s behaviour.

“I’m fine.” Baekhyun flashed him a grin. “I was lost in thoughts.”

“If you say so.”

Something was wrong, something Chanyeol could not put the finger on. Another silent happened, long and awkward, and Baekhyun finally stood up, looking thoughtfully at the window. “I think I’ll go home.”

“Already? But we could… hm… Order pizza or something? Do you really have to go now?”

“Yes. And I’m not very hungry, by the way.”

Chanyeol’s face went from smiling to frowning. There he went again, disappointing people he did not even know. His inability to make friends was legendary. Maybe he was too much of a chatterbox, or maybe his never-ending questioning annoyed him much? Maybe he was nothing more than a boring person who made others uncomfortable. He sighed at the thought, looking at Baekhyun who was approaching the door.

“I’m sorry Baekhyun… If I made you uncomfortable…”

“You didn’t. I just really have to go.”

Chanyeol hummed briefly, looking into Baekhyun’s eyes to only discover the greatest sincerity. The shorter smiled at him before patting his shoulder.

“You should stop worrying. It’s not like I’m going to vanish and leave you alone anytime soon.”

Then, Baekhyun left and closed the door behind him, leaving Chanyeol alone and silent because of one meaningless detail: as Baekhyun spoke those words, the light in his eyes flickered. 


Author note: I am sorry I have not been updating my story for such a long time but I sort of became self-conscious about my writing and I had trouble coming back to it. I hope some of you are still waiting for the next chapters, I will do my best ! Have a nice day if you are reading this ♥