Chapter 1

Every Step You Take

He opened his eyes and blinked. A ray of sunlight escaped through the small opening of the curtains blinded his sleepy eyes. He turned to his left as an attempt to escape the soft ray of the morning sun. However, a pair of monolid eyes met his eyes; eyes shaking with shock and confusion. He was sure that his own eyes projected the same action. The story of last night slowly came into their minds.

“…” He muttered under his breath.

 

[Three weeks ago]

“Okay, so here’s the plan. You two should go first and we’ll follow you.” Leeteuk calmly broke the news to s while pointing to Donghae and Eunhyuk.

“Hmm? What do you mean? I thought we’re going together?!” Heechul snapped. He was tired; the filming of Knowing Brothers ended late because of Kang Ho Dong’s enthusiasm.

Donghae raised his eyebrows, but he was listening heart-heartedly. His attention was more towards his doodles on a sheet of paper. Hyukjae pressed his lips, waiting for Leeteuk to continue. Yesung, Siwon and Shindong’s confused expressions mirrored Hyukjae’s. Meanwhile, Ryeowook was checking out his new smartphone; a present from the leader after he completed his mandatory enlistment.

“Jungsoo yah!” Heechul raised his voice. Donghae absently patted his hyung’s arm to calm him.

“I’m sorry but the thing is, we can’t use the material for Super TV episode 7,” Leeteuk announced.

“Huh?!” Everyone ‘s eyes were wide open, shocked with horror because they knew what will come after the announcement. A silence fell upon them.

“Refilming…” Ryewook broke the silence after a while. Siwon was already checking his phone for his schedule.

“Why?” Shindong asked carefully. Leeteuk looked very tired and he didn’t want to press the leader.

“You guys knew that the staff’s van had an accident right after filming?”

“The van fell into the water, right?” Hyukjae answered.

“Yeah, so the cameras and other equipment are broken and they couldn’t save the memory cards,” said Leeteuk; looking directly at Heechul.

“Eh, how about these kids then?” Heechul challenged Leeteuk’s stare on him.

“Since Donghae and Eunhyuk filmed separately, so yeah, theirs are okay.”

“Yes!” Donghae chimed in but he received death glares from Heechul and Yesung.

“It’s not our fault that you guys wanted to do something else.” Donghae pursed his lips. He looked at Hyukjae who sat opposite of him, and his best friend just gave a thin smile.

The concept for Super TV episode 7 was a trip special and they were assigned to their team through an individual interview related to the concept. Donghae and Hyukjae who were best friends for so many years unsurprisingly ended together, Heechul with Yesung (a weird pair they said) and Leeteuk had to stop Siwon and Ryeowook from strangling each other (so much drama!). So, adventurous Donghae and Hyukjae went on a road trip to Gangwon-do while the rest chose to film close to home.

“And I’ve checked everyone’s schedule… Yeah, even you too, Heechul. Don’t go telling everyone that I have abandoned you… So, where was I? Oh, the only time five of us are available for refilming is in three-week time.” Leeteuk waved several sheets of paper, presumably containing their schedule.

“That is when we are going to Japan!” Heechul unconsciously raised his voice, but he put up his hand as a sign of sorry when he realised that he was too agitated. Heck, everyone was but they were being mindful of Leeteuk who looked like he could pass out anytime.

“It’s not like we aren’t going to Japan. We will be a couple of days late than the previous arrangement.”

“So, no onsen?” Yesung asked. Leeteuk slowly shook his head.

“No onsen, no short break or anything. We’ll start preparing for the concert when we arrive. Oh, yeah. Donghae and Eunhyuk, you can go to the onsen if you want.”

“I don’t think it would be fun with just the two of us.” Hyukjae opened his mouth.

“It’s such a waste if we don’t go, Hyukjae.” Donghae pointed out.

“You guys always have fun together. What’s new?” Siwon raised his eyebrows; annoyance clearly displayed on his face. Despite being the closest to Donghae and Hyukjae, he often was left out because of their clashing schedule.

“Don’t worry, hyung. You have me.” Ryeowook smirked and Siwon gasped in horror.

“Oh, here we go again.” Yesung rolled his eyes and Shindong just chuckled.

“Okay, okay. Are we done? Please say that we are done. I have a mission.” Without waiting for Leeteuk’s confirmation, Heechul left the meeting room, undoubtedly going back to his apartment where his computer was waiting.

“That’s all. Be here for practices. Oh, shoot. I have to remind Heechul. That guy is always…” Leeteuk’s voice trailed off as he exited the room.

“Anyone up for lunch? Let’s eat lunch downstairs.” Siwon clapped his hands, asking for attention.

“If you’re paying…” uttered Hyukjae, cheekily.

“I’m still dieting so see you guys later.” Yesung waved his hand and left.

“I have work. Enjoy your lunch and eat for me too. Offft! Get off, Donghae!” Donghae’s hug was replied with a smack on his head by Shindong but Donghae just laughed. Shindong smiled and patted Donghae’s head before leaving.

“So, it’s just me, Hyukjae, and Donghae… and yeah, you, small guy.” Siwon smirked. Ryeowook pretended to not listening and bumped his shoulder to Siwon’s arm and staggered a bit when Siwon’s bigger body didn’t budge. He proceeded to curse under his breath and Hyukjae and Donghae suddenly feared for their lives for being trapped in one of the childish fights of Super Junior.

 

[Two weeks before leaving for Japan]

Hyukjae wiped his forehead with a face towel before plopping down beside Donghae, who was lying down like his soul had left his body. Donghae opened his eyes, staring at Hyukjae who was still catching his breath.

“I hate getting old,” muttered Donghae, slowly but Hyukjae managed to catch his words.

“We’re not old!” He jokingly replied and received a small smack on his thigh.

“Look, our hyungs are dying.” Donghae chuckled and pointed to another corner of the practice room. Yesung was on his back while his hands were moving everywhere; an attempt to memorize the dance steps while resting. Heechul and Leeteuk were discussing something and both were lying down; heads close to each other. Siwon was on the phone, probably in the middle of negotiating with some investors and Ryeowook who was just recently discharged from the military was still with his smartphone, trying to keeping up with the news after two years of military service.

“Hyuk…” Donghae whispered and Hyukjae looked down at him.

“What?” Hyukjae grabbed a bottle of mineral water next to him and gulped down the drink. “What?” He asked again when his question was left unanswered.

“I’m scared.”

Hyukjae put down his bottle and took a long stare at his best friend. This was not the first time Donghae had expressed his emotions and it probably wouldn’t be the last.

“Of what?” Hyukjae glanced at the rest of s and some had fallen to sleep. It was 1.00 AM in the morning and they were desperate to make sure everything was perfect before going to Japan.

“Of everything.”

“What are you even talking about?” Hyukjae was ready to stand up, but a strong grip on his wrist cancelled his intention. “Hae, what is it?”

“I’m scared of being alone.” Donghae’s eyes were b with tears and Hyukjae frowned.

“Hey…” He reached out to wipe Donghae’s tears, but Donghae who was suddenly embarrassed by his tears because he was teased a lot for always crying turned; his back was facing Hyukjae.

“Donghae?” Hyukjae put his hand on Donghae’s shoulder, trying to turn Donghae back but Donghae wouldn’t budge.

“You’ll make fun of me.”

“Have I ever?... Okay, sorry, I have. But, Donghae…” Hyukjae took a heavy breath. “Please.”

Donghae sat up and took one look at Hyukjae before staring at an empty wall in front of him. He pursed his lips and ran his hand through his hair, trying to find some words to say to Hyukjae and not sounding so emotional.

“Donghae?” Hyukjae urged the man beside him again.

“What if I ended up alone? You know I’m scared of being alone.” His words came out more needing than intended, and Donghae winced at his word choice.

“Stupid, you have me. You have the members.” Hyukjae jokingly smacked Donghae’s head. He expected to be treated the same, but Donghae’s face had turned sour.

“You made fun of me!” Donghae raised his voice; anger clearly visible in his voice. Sleeping Yesung and Leeteuk stirred but they didn’t wake up. It was normal for Super Junior to be wrapped in noises, especially when you have lots of members who like to talk. Heechul raised his head to look at his dongsaengs. When he noticed that the boys were engrossed in a serious talk, he rolled his eyes and went back to his mobile game. Siwon and Ryeowook apparently had stepped out of the room.

“No, I’m not. Seriously, I get what you’re saying. I do, Donghae.” Hyukjae put his hand on Donghae’s as a sign of reassurance.

“I’m tired of this. At this rate, I’ll be alone forever.”

Hyukjae knew where this talk came from. Although Donghae was blessed with good look, he had many failed relationships. Women were attracted at his look, but when they realised how awkward Donghae was, they shied away from him. Well, Hyukjae too had his fair share of heartbreaks, and he hated to admit that he was tired too. When work became more enjoying than screaming girlfriends, Hyukjae felt empty inside and he knew Donghae was feeling the same.

“Donghae, whatever it is, you know I love you.” Hyukjae paused. “And everyone too. We have each other. If the time comes, you’ll get married. If… If it’s not, let’s say you have your drinking buddy.”

“I can’t even drink, Hyukjae.” Donghae pointed out sharply, but he had a wide smile plastered on his face.

“I love you too, Hyukjae.” And Donghae hugged Hyukjae tightly, thankful for his existence and understanding.

“Okay, okay!” Heechul clapped his hands, trying to get everyone’s attention. “Teukie, wake up. Let’s practice for a couple of times and then, let’s go back, shall we? I don’t want to sleep here. Heck, we paid a lot for our apartments and you guys wanted to sleep here?! Stand up! Stand up! Siwon! Ryeowook! Where are you?!”

Donghae and Hyukjae slowly stood up; eyes meeting each other. Donghae grabbed Hyukjae’s right hand and gave it a squeeze before moving to where Heechul was. Hyukjae smiled and followed him. In his heart, he knew he didn’t only assure Donghae, but himself too.

 

[to be continued]