Strawberry Milk

Taxi 105

The stranger slowly started to turn around and remove his hoodie at the same time. He looked almost as surprised as Bo Mi must have. He had kind eyes and rosy cheeks and plump lips.

"This song-" His face spilled concern but also amazement.

"Oh, I'm sorry about that-" Bo Mi started to disconnect her phone from the store speaker when the stranger shouted "Wait-"

He fumbled to pull his phone out and push some buttons without saying a word and leaving Bo Mi in a state of confusion. The stranger put his phone up to his ear.

"Listen," He moved the speaker of his phone a little so the person on the other end might be able to hear it a little better.

Bo Mi and the stranger stood in silence as he let the person on the other end of his phone listen to the music. He held the phone back up to his ear after a minute and said goodbye to whom ever was on the other end of that call. 

"You put this on?" The stranger asked which startled Bo Mi who had zoned out in the long silence. 

"Oh-Uh-Yea, sorry, usually no one notices when I-" Bo Mi started to apologize when the stranger cut her off. 

"This is amazing, don't apologize!" He pulled his baseball cap off and revealed his golden blonde hair. 

He sat bobbing his head to the music for a moment longer before speaking again.

"Do you work night shifts alone? Isn't that dangerous?" Bo Mi couldn't figure out if he was another creep or if he was sweet and concerned. She decided to play it safe. 

"I've got a bat behind the register, if things get too out of hand I have the police on speed dial too." She felt uncomfortable making eye contact with the stranger while saying something so aggressive so she stared down at her micro-economics flashcards. 

"I used to work at a clothing store, but I never had midnight shifts like this. I'd be scared I would get too tired and fall asleep" He started laughing at himself. His eyes smiled as wide as his lips did. He looked so soft and kind; he made a small smile creep it's way onto Bo Mi's lips. 

He browsed the store for almost another half an hour. Bo Mi let the anonymous covers keep playing and went back to studying. They were the only two in the store; it felt like they were listening to the music together in silence even if it was just coincidence. It was almost 3 a.m before he finally started towards the check-out counter. 

"Is this all?" Bo Mi blurted out, confused by the single strawberry milk the stranger was buying. 

"Should I go pick out more?" He smirked.

"No, it's okay. It's going to be 2.50." She bagged the single milk and handed it to him. 

He fumbled with some change and paid her exactly the amount. The stranger smiled and started to leave the store, his milk still on the counter.

"You forgot this," Bo Mi held the bag up, making the stranger turn around. 

"No I didn't, I bought it for you" He smiled one last time before leaving the store.