The Competition

B side of Monstar

Jeong Seun Woo POV

I was shocked by everything. Everything going so fast I can’t think. I see punches flying around from left and right so I did the most natural thing which is fight back.

 

I saw the thug almost hit Se Yi and I grab his arm and throw the strongest punch I manage to force to his face. We keep on fighting, when I heard a loud scream. Everyone halted and see an old man, white hair with protruded belly, dressing in similar way of the thugs. All of the thugs were so quiet, didn’t even make a sound so I guess he’s the Don.

 

We were then ushered inside a nearby café by the old man.

“Is it true, all the rumours regarding Kim Nana? Is she sponsored by this guy? How could she? As lonely as she is, I don’t think she’s capable of doing something like this. She’s a sweet girl, hiding behind tough mask. And the way she acted around the thugs, obviously she didn’t like them, not even by a particle.”

 

“Is this jerk forcing her doing things she didn’t want to? How should I handle this? I keep on thinking of ways to save Nana from all this mess. She didn’t deserve life like this.”

 

“You saw something Uri Nana wish to hide.” He said.

“Uri?”

 

“Uri Nana’s heartbroken, so I brought her here by force. Do you know the guy?” he asked.

Do Nam can’t help but throw a subtle glance at me. But, as a mafia leader, damn he was sharp. He saw it and glare at me. I wont back down so I fight. Our little glaring contest were cut by SeYi’s request, not to bring those thugs to pick Nana at school as she hates it. And we need Nana for our contest tomorrow.

 

He replied with something that I decided I don’t need to care, as long as he’s confident Nana’s currently safe. He was not showing a single sign of anxious or worry about Nana’s wellbeing, so I guess she’s safe somewhere in a location only they know.

 

Our discussion put to stop with him telling us he will send someone tomorrow. Thus, we slowly preparing to go back home.

 

************

 

We’re all currently in our classroom but no one of us could reach Nana.  Suddenly, Se yi’s phone rings. She was on line for a little while but her face told us we’re going to be ruined.

 

“She’s not picking up” Se Yi’s said in dejected tone.

“Who is it then?” EunHa asking the question that everyone curious of.

“Her Dad.” Came her reply.

 

I can’t think properly. The only thing I know is, we need Nana and we need Nana now. If she’s not coming, then I’ll drag her here. No matter if I need to go to the hell and back.

 

I grab Se Yi’s phone on the table and rush outside. Make a phone call to her dad.

 

“Let’s meet there in about 30 minutes. I need to borrow this for a while” I said to them, and start running.

 

I almost bumped into someone. I don’t care. I need to go and I have no more time to waste. I hope they manage to delayed the event for enough time for me to bring her.

 

Nana’s POV

 

I awakened but loud banging on my door. Currently I’m at my studio, where I can express myself freely. This sanctuary only known by my family, and they know I am not to be disturbed if I stay here. So who the hell is it that is so brave asking for death at my door to disturb my like this.

 

My head throbbing and I feel like dying with this severe headache I am having. I dragged myself towards the door as it didn’t seem like stopping any minutes soon.

 

So I throw open the door and yell,

 

“What do you want?”, without opening my eyes, I failed even I want to, too bright, it worsen my throbbing pain. I guess my yelling also played a role in worsening my headache, but I don’t care. I just want someone to kill right now.

 

“You might want to step aside for a bit,” come a man’s voice.

 

I heard this voice before, somewhere, recently, but who? I keep on thinking and I regret it immediately as it aggravates my already severe headache.

 

I groaned, holding my head with my both hands, taking a step back, relying on my muscle memory to search for a safe place for me to rest.

 

Then, I felt an arm around my shoulder, navigates me through the darkness, safely places me on my mattress on supine position.

 

 By that time I take a peak to the intruders who were surprisingly nice and helpful, also he has a nice, very very nice smell, almost like aromatherapy to my headache, it slowly decreasing and improving.

 

It shocked me to death when I realized who he is.

 

“What are you doing here? How do you know I am here? What business do you have with me?” I spring up to sitting position, ambush him with trains of questions, once again I regret my decision making. My head throbs further, but I act like nothing happened.

 

“Well, well. What, now I can’t see my fiancée?” he said with a mocking tone.

 

“Fiancee my ,” I murmured to myself, but I guess he heard it.

 

“Ouch, you hurt me, but I guess your eagerness to cuddle me just now enough to treat my hurting heart,” he says with his devilish smirk.

 

“Mwo” I asked, can’t believe what I just heard.

 

“Don’t think I didn’t realised you’re leaning to me, more than needed just now.”

 

I can see his smirk with my closed eyes, judging from his tone.

 

“I was unwell!” I defend myself.

 

“Whatever helps you sleep at night, love” he said then.

 

“Anyway, your mom asked me to send food to you, as she knows if she send your father’s minion they would be dead by now. Eat and take your medicine.” He said flatly.

 

I scowl at him and spit,

 

“My wellbeing is out of your concern, jerk!”

 

“If it’s not mine, then do you think Seon Woo will?” he asked with similar venom in his voice.

 

I snapped and glare at him.

 

“What? Do you think I am blind and not know your dirty little secret huh?”

 

“Once again, what ever happen to me, is none of your concern. It’s mine to bare, not anyone else” I hissed.

 

“I believe your purposed has been fulfilled, so please, be on your way.” I said.

 

“Since you asked so very nicely, fiancée, I will. But if I may offer you a piece of advice, would he accept and be friend with you after he knows who you are? Or rather, what you are?” he smirked and close the door behind him, leaving me in the darkness, alone.

 

“I AM NOT YOUR FIANCEE, I WILL MAKE SURE THIS STUPID ARRANGEMENT WILL BE CANCELLED!”

I yelled and pray to God, hoping he heard it clean and clear. I won’t be tied to him, or whoever. I refused to. My fate should lie on my hand. At least, I could promise myself that much. That much.

 

I open the container lid after I am calm enough to see what’s inside. Kimchi Jiggae, my favourite. I eat a little as I felt nauseated. I take my painkiller, and off I go to dreamland. Hope nobody would disturb me again. I don’t even bother to lock the door, as I know my father’s minion always there to keep me safe.

 

********

 

Upon waking up, my headache subsided, so, I buried my messy mind inside all of my designs. I wish for my color bar members to wear these outfit, but I guess it’s has been wasted now.

 

Now they already know who I am, they must be disgusted by me. I hope I can hide here forever. Not to see them ever again. I hate my fate, I hate my family, I hate my life. Like these things not enough for me, why on earth Ma Joon Hee of all people mixed into the equation? And fiancée, he so proudly announced. I wish I could tear his smirk apart from his face, distort his handsome face.

 

Why can’t I just die peacefully so I didn’t cause discomfort to everyone?

 

And now Seon Woo has seen me, he must hates me more.

 

I tried to focused on my sewing, but I’m out of my thread. I unlocked the lid to change the thread, but it fell.

 

I scratch my hand trying to reach for it, I it reminded me of the time when Seong Woo asked about scratches over my hand. He must think that I was sparring beforehand, when the truth was I never really engage in a fist fight before. I never need to as I always protected by my father’s men.

 

The tears racing down through my cheek. I really am despicable, I don’t deserve love in my life.

I was startled by his honey voice, calling for my name.

 

“Great, now I really am going crazy as I am hallucinating he’s here. You wish Kim Nana, you wish!”

 

I mocked myself. Why on earth did he will be here when he didn’t know this place existence at the first place.

 

I better resume my work, but I shocked for real as he’s standing there, looking at me with sad eyes.

 

“How do you know I’m here?” I spit.

 

“Your….your father told me.” He said.

 

“Great! Just wonderful. Not only he knows I hang around salon bar, but now he knows everything. They know everything”

 

“My Dad?” I can’t help crying even more.

 

“Yup they knew everything”

 

I guess I heard his “hmm” as reply to my earlier question and he hurried me to go to school as the other member tried their best to delay time.

 

I was boiling up. What am I? A doll to be drag around? I can’t face them like this, right now. I am dirty. I am not belong to this society. I am Mafia Boss’s daughter. Why would they be friend with me? Thus I burst.

 

“Why on earth did you come? Why do you even care?” I shouted at him. He looked shocked.

 

“I am ashamed of myself. I am pathetic aren’t I? Who do you think you are to follow me like that? Don’t you know your limit? You must be hating me right now. I am dirty, I am discusting aren’t I?” I shouted at him more as he gives me no response. I can’t see his face. I am too ashamed to see him. Too afraid to see what disgusting face he would show me.

 

“I know all the rumours. They said I date a gangster. But the truth is, it’s not my lover, it’s my dad. And my mom isn’t any better, a salon room owner. I know you all must be thinking

“heol, can’t believe I try to befriend her, can’t believe I sing with her, can’t believe I hang out with her” right?”

 

I heard footsteps, soft footsteps. I hope he knows his place and get out.

 

“He didn’t say anything about your mom?” came his soft, soothing voice.

 

I glance at him at shoo him away.

 

“Get lost!” I said but he didn’t even flinch.

 

“I can’t” he said, paused for a while and he continued,

 

“I told you before. It’s not all I see on you.”

 

Jeong Seun Woo POV

 

I saw her crying again. I don’t know why but my heart hurts. She’s strong, but right now she looks like little girl who needs all the love and protection from this crazy cruel world. How I wish I could give her that protection. I see she’s hurting inside, she must be thinking of all the unfairness she had to face every day, growing up in that kind of household. So I told her the only thing I know, the truth.

 

“What I see right now is a crying girl, not the mafia’s daughter but student Kim Nana, a good singer Kim Nana, the one the others currently desperately waiting for Kim Nana. How about that?”

 

Really, I couldn’t care less what household she grew up in. She’s a nice girl, always in her own world, no bringing troubles to others. Ever since we were all grouped for this, she just follows the flow, being the wallpaper, not contributing, it’s okay, what’s more important is she’s not being the source of headache. Not like you all know who.

 

“Yeah, I asked you once before. What do you see in me?” come her faint voice, weak, unspirited.

 

Where’s the strong girl Kim Nana I know? I can’t help thinking.

 

“But still, you can’t answer it right. What you said just now, are what you wanted to see.”

 

She said, and I can’t decipher her meaning. That’s all I saw, what did she expect me to say?

 

When I am still thinking, she added,

 

“Jung Seon Woo, dates me for 10 times, then I will go there.” She paused,

 

She wanted a date with me? No scratch that, not a date, but 10 dates?

 

My paused seemed to hurt her even more.

 

“You can’t, can you?” she asked me again.

 

“Okay,” I said, with determination.

 

She turned towards me with teary eyes and said,

 

“Just go,”

 

I glanced at my watch, almost 30 minutes. I need another 10 to reach the school. Mu shoulder slumped. It was bad enough without Nana in our team, so I need to get there as soon as possible. I have to accept, I have failed. I failed this group, and I failed Min Se Yi.

 

Nothing can be help as I have tried my best. But I can’t help feeling sad. At least with Nana, we still have hope to win.

 

I can’t think, so I asked my driver to go, speed up to reach school.

 

I hate the look on the kids when I told them the bad news, I have failed. Seol Chan rearrange for Radio to sing Nana’s part, he looks uncomfortable and unconfident. But that was the best option. I pray for everything to be smooth.

 

All for one start performing and like always, they perform perfectly, organized and smooth. Hyorin melodious voice accompanied with majestic sound from Joon Hee’s paino and small orchestra from others. She controls her power of voice professionally, and for the highlight she was joined by several other voices as choir to produce beautiful song, “Amazing Grace”. They sing with beautiful harmony. I am anxious, but I don’t stop praying for Nana to change her mind and come. They received applause, and we can hear whispering on how good they are and how ruined we will be.

 

They already completed their performance and vice principal call upon us.

 

All of us move towards the stage with hesitation. Kyu Dong stand at the centre, trying his best to imitate Nana’s aura. The others take our designated place. But he still looks awkward, so Se Yi steps forward to reassure him. He turned towards me, asking for help, but as the leader said, this is the best option.

 

Seol Chan throw the first note, Kyu Dong started to sing but it sounded broken. His confidence dropping even more. His next line was sing in even tinier voice. It was like he almost whispers instead of singing. There are whispers and smirking from the students, and all for one. Kyu Dong saw and he stop singing.

 

There was a complete silence when suddenly, we saw a shadow.

 

There from the corner, she emerged and I can’t thank god enough for what he blessed us upon. There’s a little disagreement whether or not to allow Nana join us as she’s late. Tardiness is not something that can be taken lightly.

 

But as Joon Hee is okay with the arrangement, the Vice principal allowed her. So, she strides to the stage, and take her deserved place. There’s whisper here and there, regarding Nana I supposed, but they don’t know Nana yet.

 

Seol Chan once again play the first tunes with confidence this time.

 

Nal ullijima seulpeun yeonghwa sogui juingongeun shireo (Don’t make me cry, I don’t want to be the main character of a sad movie)

 

Nana hold the mic and start singing. All students gasp and seems shocked, don’t expect Nana, our ice queen to have such a beautiful and soothing voice.

 

“Assa…yeokshii…uri Nana, lets show them who you are. I bet if they know half the true things about your talent, they won’t treat you this badly”

 

~nal ullijima seulpeun noraecheoreom gieogdwigin shireo (Don’t make me cry, I don’t want to be remembered as a sad song)

 

She belted that high note confidently, with so much power and so beautiful. I am so proud of her.

 

nal ullijima (Don’t make me cry)

 

There is the real Kim Nana. I am proud of her, and I love audience’ reactions to her talent.

Dok Nam started beatboxing and Eunha started to paly her tambourine. All of us move our body to the catchy beats and I can see all of the audience also excited with the remix version.

 

nal ullijima seulpeun yeonghwa sogui juingongeun shireo (Don’t make me cry, I don’t want to be the main character of a sad movie)

nal ullijima seulpeun noraecheoreom gieogdwigin shireo (Don’t make me cry, I don’t want to be remembered as a sad song)

nae gyeote maemdoneun geudaeui moseubeun uulhan haru (The image of you that lingers around me is like a sad day)

ijen geudaeui miso neukkyeojiji anha geunalbam (I can’t feel your smile anymore like that night)

 

Nana continued singing and she looks so comfortable being in her true element.

 

Seol Chan enriched the song with rap beats of the next part, and I must admit, he did a good job. No wonder he has so much fans.

 

naege nama ittneun geudae inhyeongcheoleom (You remain to me like a doll)

ppoyan meonji soge mudeooneun (In the memories that come inside the white dust)

naui chueog soge ijen meoreojin geudaeyeo (You have gone farther away)

 

By this time all of us have a good time and enjoy performing. I myself, forget for a second that we are competing right now. We just perform, and enjoy our performance together. And the audiences are standing up, dancing along to the music.

 

nal ullijima seulpeun yeonghwa sogui juingongeun shireo (Don’t make me cry, I don’t want to be the main character of a sad movie)

nal ullijima seulpeun nolaecheoleom gieogdoegin shireo (Don’t make me cry, I don’t want to be remembered as a sad song)

nae gyeote maemdoneun geudaeui moseubeun uulhan haru (The image of you that lingers around me is like a sad day)

ijen geudaeui miso neukkyeojiji anha geunalbam geunalcheoreom (I can’t feel your smile anymore like that night, like that day)

geunalcheoreom (Like that day)

 

We completed our performance. Even though there’s some hiccup in the beginning but it ended well. I am satisfied.

 

After everything settled down, the students were all surrounding Seol Chan, trying to comfort get his signature.

 

Everyone’s here, but I keep on searching for one person and she’s not.

 

I went up the rooftop, she might be there. And true to my thought, she was there with a cigarette in her small hand. She looked troubled, and in deep thought. She’s cute, deduct the cigarette.

 

So, I approached to thank her. She hides the cigarette in her pocket.

 

“So, ten times? Just tell me time, place and what you want to do, I will be there,”

 

I paused, took couples of steps closer, and noticed she back down, grab the cigarette in her pocket and crush it.

“but, without this”

 

She just stares at me, can’t help notice her doe eyes. She’s not as rebellious as before and I kind of like this persona of her. How many faces did she hides from us all along?

Somehow, there’s something inside my heart that greedy enough to be the only person to see this side of her; her cute persona.

 

My day dream was disturbed by vibration of my phone,

“Aish this traitor”

I read the message and signals to her to follow me to the auditorium. It was decision announcement time.

 

We’re all seated calmly awaiting the announcement.

 

Although the vice principal announced that All For One is the winner with outstanding performance as an excuse, we didn’t feel anything. It was expected. All For One is his golden child, he can’t afford to hurt them.

 

The other students tried to protest by saying ours are more fun, but we’re dismissed with more excuses.

 

I can feel sharp stares from Ma Joon Hee but it quite not right. It’s like it was not directed towards me or Seol Chan, but it can’t be right? There’s nobody he hates more other than us two.

The others seem gloomy and dejected. So I stand up and left, unable to stay with black cloud above me.

Nana, just sat there silently with her poker face. I can’t seem to outline what she’s been thinking or feeling. But as long as she can maintain her poker face I think she’s still fine.

 

Back at home that night, I tried to invite Se Yi to watch movie together tomorrow but she said she has other matters to attend to so I will spend my weekend alone.

******************

 

I was studying the next day when Kim Nana surprised me with a call; to arrange for our meeting as promised. She asked me to meet at a book store. What a bizarre place. Don’t tell me she’s actually a bookworm.

 

So, I waited for her at promised place. I look at the books while waiting for her. She arrived several minutes later, with casual comfy look.

 

She approached me and said,

“You really come,”

“Why you asked to meet here?” I asked.

“Well, when will I come to this place if not because of you?” she asked me back and pick up a pen from her handbag.

 

She grab my arm and draw a stick on it.

“I’ll take one off,” she said.

I chuckled at her childish and cute behaviour, so I asked where she want to go.

 

And here we are, in a hipster café, surrounded by thick awkward silence; afterwards with high tea, macaroon and cheesecake. She seemed like normal girl like this.

 

I pick the fork and start to eat my cake.

 

“Lets eat, why can’t you eat cake alone here?” I asked with a chuckle. I tried my best to dissolve the awkwardness.

 

“You’re more timid than I credit you for, Kim Nana.”

 

She pick up hers and started to eat.

 

“But why, do you agree? You’re not this kind of person.” She asked me with small voice.

She really seems timid right now, like she was walking on a mine field, one wrong step would cost her life.

 

I bite my cake and thinking, letting the fork on my lips.

“Hurm, honestly speaking, it was more like good deeds.”  

 

“And the almighty president, out of all people, why did you bless me with this good deed?” she asked then, with slightly malicious tone, but not threatening enough to make me uncomfortable.

 

I put down my fork and lean forward, carved a genuine smile on my face,

 

“Like I said before, your actions all shouting MAYDAY Kim Nana. And it’s depends on the others to catch the signal or not. Believe it or not, I was once a nice kid, and I have the same problem as you. not exactly the same but I can say similar? I need help but I shouted it to the wrong person. I know what it feels, so when I saw your signals, I need to help. I am trying my best to go down that path again, a nice kid’s path.”  

 

She just stares at me, not scowling or smiling.

So, I change the subject.

“What you want to do after cake?”

 

“Maybe take a stroll, or movie? Any one that convenience” she said.

 

We’re on our way to cinema when we passed through a busker, singing, and I noticed I know him. He came from Thailand to look for his family, I guess? So, I smiled at him and waved. I told Nana his story. He smiles back to me and offers the same to Nana. But she still has the same expression on her face; and she’s cute like that. Not easily warmed up to stranger.

 

“Is it really hurt to smile?” I asked, with a smile. I wave him goodbye and proceed with our journey. She tilted her head to the side, might be confused with what I am saying, but she follows me afterwards.

 

We’re walking when we heard a loud sound. We turn around to look for the source, it turn out to be our traditional snack. After the smoke subsided, I saw Se Yi and Seol Chan across the road.

***********