Two Years ago

BECAUSE IT’S YOU

Sana was driving Mina home that night, nowhere in hell she let this girl walked back home alone in the middle of the night, those football boys acts like dogs when they were drunk and Jackson held a party almost every night. Sana can never let mina go home alone when she lives several houses from Jackson’s.

 

“You know I can go home alone, take a cab.”

 

“I still won’t let you.”

 

“Those boys wouldn’t stop a taxi because I was in there.”

 

“Minari, you never know what they’re capable of. And besides, I know them, they’ll listen to me, I think.”

 

Mina softly laughs, Sana was always overly protective of her, not that she complained about it but she really can just grab a taxi and takes another route so she doesn’t have to pass through Jackson’s house.

 

Once she parked her car in front of Mina’s gate, she got out the car and opened the door for Mina all the while looking at the house almost up the hill with blaring music and crazy lights. Sana misses Mina’s blushing face and nervous glances.

 

“Look over there. Geez all those crazy people.”

 

“Aren’t you always partying too?”

 

“Not always, Minari,” Sana whined when they walked through the gate and to Mina’s front door. Stopping there, Mina fixes Sana’s princess-like ribbon and then just looked at her.

 

“Jackson throws party so often it’s not fun anymore.”

 

“Really?”

 

Sana hum. “Does the loud music disturb you?”

 

“No.” mina shook her head, still looking at Sana until the other girl looking back at her.

 

“What?”

 

“Why are you worry about me so much?”

 

“Momo does too.”

 

“Not this much.”

 

“Hmm… I’m not sure. Maybe I like you.” Sana laughed then, but when she saw Mina’s face she slowly stopped laughing. Amused, she poked Mina’s nose. “What? Do you like me?”

 

“…………Maybe.”

 

Now it is Sana’s turn to fell silent, she only looking at Mina with confused eyes hoping the girl was just messing around. But Mina did nothing but stare at her. It might be just her but Mina’s face got closer, and she can feel Mina’s warm breath on her face. Sana suddenly take notes on the detail of Mina’s face before she closes her eyes when soft lips touches her. Sana responds to the kiss, however. The scream in her head can’t beat her heart that was pumping blood crazily she feels like fainting.

*

 

“Who? Never heard of her.”

 

“Myoui Mina who? You seriously date her?”

 

“I mean I don’t know? I think? She kisses me last night when I drive her home.”

 

“Sana, you kissed so many people before yet you barely dated any of them? And get that smile off of your face.”

 

Sana was sitting with Jenny and Irene in the canteen, they skipped their last class just so they can eat Irene’s favorite chocolate pudding before the canteen closes.

 

“So, tell me about the girl. Whoever she is.” Jenny said, flailing her hand telling Sana to hurry.

 

“She’s my best friend, actually. I don’t know if you know her but–“

 

“You lost me at I-don’t-know-if-you-know-her.”

 

“Isn’t it just some kind of like a best friend kiss?”

 

“No, it was different. I know her, Mina don’t just like kiss someone.”

 

Irene rolls her eyes, not interested at whoever it is Sana claimed dating just because the name did not ring a bell. They walked to their locker to put their belongings before they went back to the dorm. Jenny locked her locker before she looked at to behind Sana’s shoulder, the girl notices and found Mina waving at her.

 

“Hi!” Sana said brightly.

 

“Hi, are you going home?”

 

Sana nodded, then looked back to Jenny and Irene to watches her from behind. “This is Mina.”

 

Sana expect them to greet Mina kindly, accepting and respecting the girl she’s seeing. But instead, she found Jenny scoffed at her and Irene can’t even bring herself to smile.

 

“What is this, a joke?” Jenny snorts. “Who is this? Are you sure she’s not just using you?”

 

“What the hell, Jenny?”

 

“I mean I don’t know,” Jenny then scanning the girl that was now uncomfortable behind Sana from head to toe. “She is seriously no one. Pretty but still, no one.”

 

“You want to date someone like her?”

 

At this, Mina turn on her heel, running away from Sana and her squad, ignoring Sana calling her name. Mina ran until her legs gave up, the sweat on her body was not because how far she ran but because of how Jenny and Irene’s words ticked her. Sitting on the bench at the park not far from her house, Mina buried her face on her hand and cried until she has nothing to shed anymore.

 

 

She stayed at home the next day, and the day after, and the day after that. Sana has been calling her non-stop and coming to her house only to be sent away by the maids, leaving messages only to be ignored by Mina. She felt stupid, by agreeing herself to try to follow what her heart told her to do. She locked herself in her room, spending the night awake and her day thinking.

 

Mina came to campus at the seventh day, telling Momo about what happened and her condition after. Nayeon and Chaeyoung has to go by Mina’s side when Momo told her how sorry she was because she has to deal with how crazy Sana has become after that incident. Mina tried her best to avoid Sana, knowing full the girl knows her class schedule, and it works for three days in a row.

 

The next day though, Sana decided to came early to her class, because she needs to catch Mina and talked to her. And she found the girl, Mina jumped at the sight of Sana and she knew she can’t escape this time.

 

“Mina, I’m sorry.” Sana said, panicking once they were out of people’s sight. Mina didn’t look at her nor responding to her.

 

“I swear I didn’t know they would act that way. I’m sorry I should’ve known.”

 

“It’s fine.”

 

“No, I know you’re not. You’ve been ignoring me.”

 

“I need to get to class.” Mina was about to go when Sana grabbed her hand.

 

“Wait please, Minari. I’m sorry.”

 

“It’s not your fault.”

 

“Then why are you being like this!?”

 

Mina closes her eyes, trying so hard not to cry. She can feel Sana’s frustration and knowing Sana, Mina knows the girl worried about her more than anything. She wants Sana to stop worrying, and she hates the fact that she feels insecure when she’s with Sana now. Mina was thinking about a scenario when Jenny and Irene came and that scared her.

 

“Mina, say something.”

 

“……Can you stop it?”

 

“Stop what?”

 

Mina turned around to look at her, Sana has that pleading look on her face and Mina needs to look away, her heart hurts.

 

I don’t want this. Forget the kiss, it never happened.”

 

“Mina…”

 

“As much as I wantit, I can’t do it with you. Please, Sana, let’s just stop this.”

 

“Don’t say things like that, what is up with you?” Sana was about to took Mina’s hand but the girl moves away. Her chest feels like closing up, failed at giving her oxygen for her to breath. Sana chokes when Mina said one last thing.

 

“Let’s just stop seeing each other, even as friends.”

 

*

 

Sana hated the fact that Mina never let her to choose, she understands how Mina always think of things, the girl won’t let Sana choose between her and her group of friends. But Sana thinks Mina chose wrong, Sana felt like she doesn’t want to be anywhere at all without Mina in it. They’ve been best friend for so long and losing her made her insane, if she hasn’t already. Sana hasn’t been talking to both Jenny and Irene for the past days too but Jenny is the cheerleading captain and both her and Irene are Jenny’s right hand so they got to get along together or the team breaks apart. She doesn’t need anything else to break, dealing with one is already consuming her whole existence.

 

She still watches Mina, though, from afar. Noticing the girl going to classes after classes, going home with Nayeon and Chaeyoung, attending her ballet club, and other things only Mina would do. Sana Misses her, but Mina won’t let her get anywhere near, not because Sana never tried, but because she just tried so many times. Sana was pissed, frustrated, to the point where she slammed the bathroom door when she heard some students gossiping about her closeness with Mina, and how Sana dump her because Mina was just using her. It stressed her to no point, and then she decided to just ruined it even more by going to all Jackson’s parties almost every night.

 

It worked, but only sometimes.