PART ONE

BECAUSE IT’S YOU

“I saw her yesterday.”

 

Mina was playing with the corner of her notebook when she says this. Bangs cascading her face from Nayeon to see. Chaeyoung stops from her melted ice cream – they walked down the campus hall in a hot summer night – then exchange glances with the oldest of the three.

 

“She looks… fine.” Mina continued, having no urgency in her voice. “She laughed a lot.”

 

“Were you like… talk to her or something?”

 

Mina laughed softly at this, jogged down the campus stairs then wiping the sweat on her neck with the back of her hand, her face turned a little bit reddish when she shook her head no. There was a remaining of her laugh until it faded and replaced by a frown, Chaeyoung noticed this and shoved her melted ice cream for Mina to taste. The taste of ice cream in was refreshing until she remembered that Sana taste exactly like chocolate ice cream that Chaeyoung always bought when she kissed her.

 

Realizing this, Nayeon shot the shorter girl a warning look. Chaeyoung bites her fingers and panicked a little before she threw away the ice cream and linked arms with Mina. Chaeyoung lovesher chocolate ice cream.

 

“Don’t you think you should be fine too? Laugh more?” Nayeon poked her side, resulting Mina to jumped a little and slapped her arm. They’re both grinned then. “You have me, and you can throw away Chaeng for all I care.”

 

Unnie! Isn’t that too much?”

 

“No, it isn’t?”

 

“Why does Mina unnie has to throw me away when I’m always the one she called at two in the morning?”

 

“She called me first before she called you.”

 

“That’s not true right, Mina unnie?”

 

“She only called you because I wasn’t picking up my phone.”

 

“Nayeon unnie!

 

“What it’s true though, ask Mina.”

 

“You are so annoying.”

 

Mina petted the short girl’s head all the while shoving Nayeon away playfully by always teasing the youngest of the three. Chaeyoung slapped Nayeon’s hand when she tried to poke her nose.

 

“Look at her all sulky.”

 

Nayeon’s laugh was contagious, especially when she teases Chaeyoung and successfully make her sulk. Mina shrieks and laugh along with her when the youngest tried to bit her arm. She pushes Chaeyoung’s head away and ran away from her, Nayeon follow closely behind leaving the short girl meters behind them, collecting her shoe that flown when she run because they’re a size too big.

 

*

 

At campus, there are always some students that earn extra attention and a turn of people’s head. Type one is a weirdo so the attention or the head turn was obviously meant to ridicule. And type two, whose steal people attention simply because their existences were meant to be appreciated. Sana and her girl squad are type two, literally everyone in the campus wants a little piece of them. Everyone loves Minatozaki Sana, and Sana knows how to make people go head over heels for her. She dated here and there casually never seriously, and oftentimes not less than a week. Sana has a type of person she wants to date – or worthy enough for her to date – she never dated just anyone, she dated the popular ones, the ones she thought hot enough or famous enough or rich enough, never so-so, she just doesn’t date regulars.

 

Although her history sounds y, Sana was never claimed as one. Sana was always the adorable one, people can’t just hate her, they need tough reasoning to hate her and there are less of them than those who loves her. Sana was the main girl, she always has been even when she was still a junior, when she, Momo and Mina were still hanging out together a lot at night because they can’t understand a thing that’s written in Jongyeon’s history notebook they borrowed and ended up too wasted to go back to their room.

 

Sana loves people, and people loves her.

 

 

“I love you Sana, Marry me. You’re so hot please be my girlfriend for one day. Don’t look at anyone else, just look at me. Pft, that is creepy, and weird.”

 

Sana giggled at Jenny rolling her eyes, took one sticky note from Sana’s locker and hold it in the air then shouting to no one in particular.

 

“You creepers need to chill and get a life, seriously.”

 

“Jenny!” She took the sticky note from her friend’s hand and put it inside her locker with the others she got from today. “That’s unnecessary. It’s not like you never got one of these.”

 

“She never gets one as creepy as that.” Irene chimed in from behind them, wrapping her arm around Jennie while shooting smile at people gnawing at them.

 

“Whatever, not looking forward to it. Anyways, are you still up for tonight at Jackson’s? he wants to introduce you to his handsome pal.”

 

“Ew, who says pal nowadays?”

 

Sana closes her locker then laughed at Irene’s disgusted face and Jennie tried to choked her dead.

 

“I told you I can’t tonight.”

 

“Ugh I know, I just thought you might change your mind. Trying is caring, honey.”

 

They are already walking through the corridor when Irene ask, “Change her mind about what exactly?”

 

“Sana has this weird thing about Friday night, totally nerdy and boring.”

 

“It’s anime, isn’t it?”

 

Sana shook her head, smiling brightly despite her friends’ judging stare. She can’t wait for tonight. “Nope, just some routine and it’s not nerdy, especially not boring.”

 

“So?”

 

“I’m watching Harry Potter with my friend. A movie marathon.”

 

“Damn, nerdy and boring.”

 

“I told you so.”

 

 

 

Sana has two bags of chips in her arms the same day that night, a pillow in the other and two plastic cups in between her teeth. She knocks the door with her feet and with her head when Momo took two seconds too long to open the door. Sana dropped the chips on the bed and the plastic cups on the floor, Momo took her pillow and plopped down on the floor pressing the play button on her laptop.

 

“Move your head, I can’t see.” Sana said from the bed, laying on her stomach. “You played the movie before I came?”

 

“Hm, you took too long.”

 

“Whatever, don’t eat my chips.”

 

“Too late.”

 

They watched the movie in between banter about the chips Momo almost finished eating without giving Sana any and the lack of drink Momo has in her room because the girl left her already paid cart of beer when she was at Jongyeon’s this afternoon. Sana whined her to make Jongyeon bring it to them but turns out the girl is at this party at Jackson’s Sana supposed to come.

 

“Momoring.”

 

“Hm?”

 

“Have you met Nayeon yet?”

 

“Yeah, I walked her to her room after her club activity some time at 7.”

 

Sana just nod her head but of course Momo can’t see that since she has her back facing the girl. She turned her head around to look at her before she looked back to the movie playing in her laptop.

 

“Weird question needs an explanation.”

 

“It’s not a weird question, it’s a general question.”

 

“You don’t ask general question when you watch movies.”

 

“I do.”

 

Momo sighed, annoyance written on her face – clearly hating it when someone disturb her movie time – when she paused the movie and turned around to face Sana. She put the bag of chip she’s been eating the entire movie aside and took the phone away from Sana when she tried to fake calling someone every time Momo put on her serious face. Sana can’t lie to this girl like she lied to her girl squad.

 

“Spill.”

 

“Spill what? Play the movie, Momoring.”

 

“Sana.”

 

The said girl groaned and pushed herself to a sit up position, leaning on the bedrest, she can’t never escape this, she can’t never escape Momo and she hates how her curiosity kills herself, she shouldn’t have asked about Nayeon in the first place.

 

“Fine. I just want to know if she said something to you, about me.”

 

“Said what about you?”

 

“I don’t know, anything? Did she say something?”

 

“If you meant did she talk about how she heard how popular you were after you get into the cheerleading team and how she was so proud of you then the answer is a yes?”

 

Sana smiled upon this, something like this warmed her heart. Her heart has been cold these days especially after-

 

“You know how she always cared about you.”

 

Cared.”

 

“Don’t do this. Wait, is this what you meant? That you think Nayeon hates you and badmouthing you?”

 

“What? no! That’s not even close, and I’m not worried of her badmouthing me because I know she won’t.”

 

Momo moved to sit on her bed then, propping her head with her arm on the window beside them. Sana looks out to the crowd of students playing softball at the open field not far from the dorm building. Sana recognize some of them when she caught them sticking the notes on her locker door one day. Sana remembers almost everyone’s face without exactly knowing their names, she will try next time.

 

“I think Mi– Mina saw me the other day.” Sana wetted her lip, hugging herself with a blanket she gave Momo as a Christmas present years ago.

 

“She saw me, when a boy from the football team kissed me.”

 

She can only feel her best friend’s stare at her, she can’t blame Momo for not giving her any reaction knowing that it was because of her that she and Mina grew somehow apart. Not because she hates the younger girl but because she knows Sana would need her more than Mina wouldand so she trusts her with Nayeon and she knew Mina will understand, and Chaeyoung is there too so there is really nothing to worry about. She is in a good hand.

 

“I don’t like him though.”

 

“Sana… it’s been…”

 

“Two years, I know, I keep track of it.”

 

Momo sighed, join Sana under the blanket, and put her arm around the girl. “I thought summer was supposed to be hot.”

 

“Am I not hot enough for you, though?”

 

“Please.” She rolls her eyes, Sana giggles.

 

They can only hear the sound of the group playing softball on the field for some times and the tick of water coming from Momo’s bathroom because she can never remember to get someone to fixed it.

 

“She’ll come around.”

 

Sana sighs, she hopes it will happen soon.