Chapter Four

Even After the World Ends

Kihyun doesn’t tell Minhyuk where he’s going when he shoves his arms through his worn-out denim jacket. It’s one of the few things he still has from his old life as a culinary student, and it’s something he’ll always treasure. As his concerned roommate and friend, Minhyuk grills him for all he’s worth, but Kihyun doesn’t budge.

Of course, Minhyuk knows this secret meet-up has to be with Hoseok, but it’s the lack of confirmation that drives him crazy. Kihyun’s got to admit, this is partly the reason he doesn’t tell Minhyuk where he’s going.

It’s just so much fun to watch Minhyuk squirm.

He doesn’t bother taking any supplies, as that’d probably just slow himself down. Besides, according to Hoseok, this place has literally everything they could ever want or need. Kihyun has half a mind to nag Hoseok about not telling the higher-ups about this place when he should have, but, honestly, he’s glad the older hadn’t.

After all, they wouldn’t have been able to go now if they knew about it…

 

Kihyun is right on time to meet Hoseok at the chosen place, just near the infirmary. Of course, despite this being Hoseok’s idea, he isn’t there yet. Kihyun swears, even though the world has ended, it doesn’t mean there should be a lack of common decency. He makes a mental note to nag the older about being late to their da—

No, not date. This isn’t a date, not at all… No matter how much Kihyun wants in the depths of his heart for this to be a date, he knows it isn’t that, it could never be that.

There’s no point in starting something intimate with someone, as any second that person could be bitten and be on their way to becoming an Infected. They could get separated during a swarm, then there’s no way they could find each other again. Either way, Kihyun’s left with a broken heart, and a broken heart is one thing you should never have in an apocalypse.

Such a thing was dangerous enough before hordes of undead roamed the earth just looking for their next meal. Now, there’s no telling what anyone would do in such a condition. Why, just last month a woman who’d lost her husband and children in the initial wave of Infected had thrown herself off the highest guard tower, resolutely ending her own life.

Kihyun’s gaze flits up to that very tower, swallowing around a lump forming in his throat at the memory. He distractedly fixes the bag he’d grabbed before hurrying out of his quarters on his shoulder.

She hadn’t even screamed.

“Th-Thorry I’m late!” Hoseok’s voice suddenly calls, breaking Kihyun from his reverie. He tears his eyes away to glance in the direction of the familiar voice, and Hoseok’s looking at him with the most beautiful smile he’s ever seen. It nearly takes his breath away, and he has half a mind to greet him with a kiss… Of course, he doesn’t, as that’s definitely not what friends do.

And that’s all they can ever be, friends. He doesn’t trust himself with the inevitable heartbreak of losing Hoseok one day. Or, even, how Hoseok would react if Kihyun were to not be there one day.

“Have you been waiting long?” Hoseok asks, obviously unsettled by Kihyun’s silence. He shifts on his feet, a nervous smile pulling at his lips, and Kihyun forces out a light chuckle. He gives Hoseok a gentle grin.

“All my life, hyung.” Kihyun means it to be a joke, but a tense silence follows that should be filled with laughter, the both of them seeming to feel that he means more by his words than he’d initially intended. Kihyun swallows, forcing another laugh as he nods towards the gate.

“So?” he prompts. “How’re we going to get me out of here?”

Hoseok follows his lead to a lighter atmosphere, chuckling as well before taking Kihyun’s hand. He pulls him over to the gate, tapping on the shaky iron twice in rapid succession. Kihyun’s palm begins to sweat where it touches Hoseok’s, and he can only hope Hoseok doesn’t feel that or how his pulse races.

Hyungwon’s face pops up on the other side of the rusty bars, a knowing smirk set on his handsome features.

“Breaking rules, going on romantic outings outside the compound,” Hyungwon mutters teasingly, opening the gate after glancing around himself once. “This is a new side to you, hyung. It’s… interesting.” Kihyun visibly bristles beside the muscled man, though he doesn’t react beyond that. He knows Hyungwon is only saying all this to get a reaction out of him, anyway.

Hoseok, however, falls for it hook, line, and sinker… as always. He blubbers something about how this isn’t romantic, he’s just taking Kihyun out for a—but not out as in out out, just out, and how it isn’t a big deal and that he better not say anything. Kihyun can’t help but smile, easing a bit at Hoseok’s typical over exaggeration. He squeezes the older’s hand in consolation automatically, and the older bites back the rest of his ramble.

Hyungwon’s eyes flick between the two, but he decides to take pity on the oldest as he just opens the gate without more teasing.

Hoseok nods once, thanking him silently before dragging Kihyun away, towards the trees.

Kihyun looks around as they hurry for coverage, inhaling deeply the air outside the compound. It’s silly, he knows, but it’s the first time he’s been out of the compound since finding it… He’d forgotten what it was like to walk around with walls always surrounding him.

He glances back only once, thinking that maybe this isn’t such a good idea. But, then, Hoseok’s hand tugs him closer, and he can’t help but smile. It’ll be fine, just so long as Hoseok’s here.

 

Kihyun follows Hoseok through the woods, holding his breath as he thinks of all the Infected that could possibly be in this forest. Of course, that’s the point of the patrols, making sure they aren’t surrounded by Infected in nearby areas like this. Though, that doesn’t give him the peace of mind to say much as they trek through the woods.

 

Hoseok is so excited to show Kihyun this perfect oasis. He’s so utterly ecstatic to finally have that Hallmark moment with him, to confess everything he feels and kiss Kihyun and hold him and—

God he’s so damn nervous he may actually combust.

Kihyun’s silence doesn’t serve to help much. He wonders of Hyungwon’s joking from earlier had started them off on the wrong foot. He should’ve gotten there on time, he should’ve spoken to Hyungwon about keeping his mouth shut when he’d asked for the favor, and, above all, he should’ve left a more noticeable trail than damn camouflage fabric tied to trees...

 

They wander around for a while in silence, and Hoseok has yet to find any of the clues he’d left to get them there. He’d thought it was such a brilliant idea before, but now…

Kihyun’s breathing has become heavier, and he’s walking slower than before. He’s never been the physical type, Hoseok knows. He consoles himself with the fact that they can bathe their sweat away in the pool at the clearing, but then he realizes that’ll mean seeing Kihyun’s body, and that’s something he isn’t entirely sure he can hide his reaction to while also presumable .

He becomes lost in his thoughts, trying to think of ways to avoid such a predicament. He could insist that they use it only to drink, but then Kihyun would be stuck all uncomfortably sweaty throughout their time out, and Hoseok wants him to be as comfortable as possible. He could just say no to swimming with Kihyun. At least then he’d be able to hide whatever bodily reactions there’d be with his clothes.

But, he’s sure Kihyun would notice. Kihyun would always notice.

 

A small gasp pulls Hoseok from his thoughts, and he looks towards Kihyun to see his eyes alight with astonishment. A faint red dusts his chubby cheeks, and his hair is definitely less groomed than when they’d left, but he still looks utterly and entirely too handsome for Hoseok.

The older almost gets lost in the shorter’s eyes, as always, but Kihyun starts forward, pulling him along with a surprisingly strong grip.

It’s then that he hears it. The rushing water, crashing down into a bed of crystal clear water, and birds singing.

They break through a tree line, Kihyun nearly tripping over a particularly large root he’s in too much of a rush to see. Hoseok keeps him upright, though, catching him before he falls and holding him in his steady arms. Kihyun’s glad he’s already blushing from the continuous walking, or else he’d be pretty pink right now at his own doltish clumsiness.

Kihyun looks around with a look of wonder and amazement, the biggest smile Hoseok has ever seen on his face overtaking his features as he just looks around at the perfectly-preserved area. Kihyun breaks away from Hoseok, spinning around slowly at how untouched from the plague this place is. A loose chuckle of disbelief falls from his lips, and his gaze finally meets Hoseok’s again.

They stare at each other, affection clear in their eyes, smiling at each other like the smitten idiots they are, neither wanting to break the moment but also knowing they ought to enjoy the time they have before they have to get back.