Chapter Two

Even After the World Ends

The sound of rushing water brings him back to reality. He blinks as he looks around, attempting at getting his bearings. Of course, he’d been so los tin his own thoughts for Kihyun that he hadn’t paid attention to where he’d been going.

Panic begins to set in. He strains his ears to hear any kind of voice, but, of course, there is none. No moans of the undead, no shouts of his living compatriots trying to find him. Nothing but the roar of nearby water.

Wait… Water??

Hoseok pouts in confusion, already maneuvering his way through the low-hanging branches and the roots sticking up from the dirt. He’s never heard any of his comrades ever speak of a waterfall before… Is he the first one to find it?

Surely he is, as this is definitely something that should be reported to the compound. They could always use fresh water to drink. There’s a river just a couple miles away from the gate, of course, and that’s what they’ve been getting their water up until this point. Maybe this is where it comes from! Maybe there’s fish in this area of the water, deep down among the rocks!

They could have fresh food for the first time since the apocalypse!

Kihyun would be so happy to finally something other than canned glop to cook. He’d smile at Hoseok, oh-so grateful for the food, hug him, look up at him with those beautiful eyes and—

Hoseok’s train of thought comes to a crashing halt as he breaks through the tree line.

A beautiful waterfall cascades down from a cliff of rocks. It lands into the bluest, clearest pool of water Hoseok has ever seen in all his life. It’s surrounded by greenery and trees practically bursting with different fruits.

He can’t help but yelp out in joy as he leaps out into the clearing. He practically sprints to the pond, dipping his head as deep as he can get it into the cool liquid. He gulps down the fresh water greedily, as it’s the first fresh water he’s had all week. He pulls his head up out the water with a sharp gasp after a moment, needing oxygen. He gulps it in, blinking the water from his eyes as he sits back on the bank.

It’s like his own little oasis, the wild flowers in full bloom and the fruit seeming ripe enough to eat. He stands, pushing his wet hair from his face as he goes to pluck a fruit from the lowest branch of the nearest tree. He bites into it, its sweet nectar running down his throat and eliciting a small hum of ecstasy.

Kihyunnie would love this… he thinks, smiling to himself as he wipes at the sticky juices with his sleeve. He pauses then, looking around in realization. He’s right. Kihyun would love this! He has to bring Kihyun here! He’s sure he can find it again, if he just believes in himself.

He begins to blush, images of how happy Kihyun would be to be showed a place like this. He could pick the fruit, make something fresh and delicious and perfectly reflective of his culinary talents. They could drink from the lake, swim and bathe in it. Kihyun would be so happy, throwing himself in Hoseok’s arms and kissing him.

Of course, it’d only be an accident. After all, Kihyun wouldn’t know what he was doing. But, then Hoseok, blushing, would pull Kihyun close again and kiss him back. He’d finally be able to confess his feelings, to win Kihyun over and prove he could give Kihyun everything he deserves, despite them all basically just waiting for their impending doom.

Hoseok shakes his head, clearing his thoughts. His face feels as if it’s on fire, and he gulps thickly as he runs his hand through his hair.

Could he really find this place again, only on purpose? He’s sure he could, especially if he even leaves a path for himself to follow…

He bolts away from the clearing, ripping a strip of cloth from his shirt to tie it to a nearby branch. He walks a few feet away, repeating the process. As he grows further and further away from the oasis, he can’t help but smile.

This is going to be the perfect way to confess to Kihyun.

 

“What do you mean he’s missing??” Kihyun demands, his eyes growing three times their normal size. Hyunwoo shifts on his feet, his eyes seemingly glued to the ground.

The older had rely a short time ago, only he’d returned alone. Alarm bells had been set off, and he’d been rushed to the nearest infirmary to the gate to be debriefed. The guards out on the gate had assumed they’d been attacked, but, according to Hyunwoo’s story, Hoseok had just… disappeared.

“He never showed up at the rendezvous point,” Hyunwoo replies, repeating what he’d told the higher-ups. “I waited for a while, but I knew it’d be better if I came back alone. At least then we could send out search parties, or—”

“He’s probably terrified right now!” Kihyun bursts out, his pitch heightened by anxiety. “It’s going to get dark soon, and he’s out there, all alone, probably on the verge of finding some nest of Infected. Oh God, what if he finds Infected? He won’t be able to fight off a horde all on his own! What if—?”

“Kihyunnie,” Minhyuk interrupts, pressing the palm of his hand to the small of Kihyun’s back, “it’ll work out. This is Hoseok we’re talking about. He’s way too in love with you to let himself die before he can confess to you.” Kihyun rolls his eyes, the tips of his ears burning as he pushes Minhyuk’s hand away.

“That isn’t helping, Minhyuk-ah,” he grumbles, ignoring how the slightly-older says that Hoseok’s in love with him. As if. Kihyun isn’t that lucky. He turns his attention back to Hyunwoo, who seems to be folding in on himself. He releases a long breath, doing his best to keep his temper under control. After all, it isn’t Hyunwoo’s fault Hoseok didn’t show up. Even if they are supposed to be partners out there, rely on each other for their very lives, it isn’t Hyunwoo’s fault Hoseok’s sometimes too ditzy for his own good.

“Look,” the shorter finally says, earning Hyunwoo’s curious glance at how calm he sounds, “it’s great that you made it back safely, hyung, really. I just want to know that Hoseok’s safe, too. I don’t blame you or anything… I’m just worried.” Hyunwoo nods as if he understands, glancing back in the direction the commanding officer had gone.

“I’m sure they’ll send out a search party soon, Kihyunnie,” Hyunwoo assures him. “When they do, I’ll be one of the first out there looking for him. I swear I’ll find him. I—”

The alarm blares, and Kihyun’s heart plummets to the dirt under his beat-up, cracked sneakers. He doesn’t move, but Minhyuk begins pushing him towards the nearest building. It’s the signal for lockdown, saying that there’s something approaching the wall and that they need to find cover before there’s a massacre.

If it’s an Infected, there’s no telling how many more Hoseok has come across out there on his own, if he’s even survived…

They reach a lookout tower and hurry in. Minhyuk automatically begins barricading the door, but Kihyun doesn’t help. He only stands at the window, chewing on his bottom lip as he hopes that maybe it’s Hoseok, not an Infected. Maybe, just this once, things will work out for the better. Maybe the end of the world is enough tragedy for his lifetime, and the heavens have decided to let him have this.

He doesn’t see much as the back gate opens. There’s a swarm of fighters, including Hyunwoo, but no gun shots. He sees the iron barricade swinging out then in, letting whatever or whoever it is in.

“You think it’s another survivor?” Minhyuk asks, his voice low. Kihyun doesn’t respond, pressing his face to the cracked glass of the window as close as he dares. He holds his breath, waiting impatiently for the men and women dressed in camouflage to dissipate. His heart pounds in his throat, and he feels like he might throw up.

Then, Hyunwoo glances at him over his shoulder, the light in his eyes telling him all he needs to know.

The crowd around him falls away, and Kihyun just catches sight of Hoseok as he’s rushed away to the infirmary. Kihyun scrambles for the door, needing to ensure Hoseok’s wellbeing.

“We haven’t gotten the all clear!” Minhyuk calls after him, but Kihyun doesn’t care.

He just needs to make sure Hoseok isn’t bitten.