four

look at me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The weekend came after a long week and Mina gave herself some more time Saturday morning to lie in bed with her eyes closed. Every day she had been busy planning the spring festival with student council and tutoring Momo for at least three hours. On Thursday, the council meeting had gone until eight o’clock at night and while Momo insinuated that they should cancel for the day, Mina refused to. So the two studied at Mina’s house again and Momo asked a question that the girl had been trying to avoid for a while now.

 

“Where are your parents?” Momo had asked, looking at Mina curiously.

 

The latter only shrugged, “They get busy at work.”

 

Mina rolled around in her bed while remembering the awkward silence that followed the question. She didn’t enjoy talking about her family life often so only Sana fully understood her current living situation. Her phone made a beeping noise and Mina almost ignored it until it started to ring. She flipped over and grabbed it off her nightstand, answering after glancing at the caller.

 

“Sana?”

 

The girl’s cheerful voice called out for her, “Mina! I’m outside!”

 

“Ah what?” Mina quickly hopped off her bed and scurried out of her room, down the hall, and towards the front door. She swung it open to find Sana on the other side, smiling.

 

“You were in quite a hurry huh?” Sana pointed towards Mina’s scandalously short shorts that the girl had slept in.

 

Mina blushed at her comment and put her phone down from her ear. Sana had already stepped inside and walked towards the kitchen to take a seat around the island. The other girl followed closely behind her and then gave her a quiet, “one second,” before rushing to her room and pulling on a pair of grey sweatpants. The sweatpants were warm against her previously exposed legs and Mina looked for the matching sweater to toss on before returning to the kitchen. Sana was on her phone but put it down hurriedly when she saw Mina walk in.

 

“You look like you slept well,” Sana giggled and put an arm around Mina’s waist as the girl stood beside her, “You’re probably wondering why I came right?”

 

Mina shook her head, “Not really, you do this all the time so I’m used to it.”

 

Her voice was soft and tired and Sana almost felt bad for coming and waking the girl up. But she also had a fun day planned ahead in hopes of helping Mina relieve some of her stress that had built up this week.

 

“I was thinking we could go on a friend date, you wanna get dressed while I wait here?” Sana asked, gesturing towards Mina’s outfit that she had just put on.

 

Mina looked down at herself and sighed knowing she’d feel more comfortable leaving the house looking decent. “Actually, could you pick the outfit for me?”

 

Her best friend simply smiled and stood up, leading the two of them to Mina’s bedroom. She stepped into the walk-in closet and began searching through the more casual clothes that Mina owned. They stood there for a while as Sana hummed and whispered to herself, holding multiple shirts and pants in her hand. Finally, she seemed to settle on a pair of blue jeans and a plain white t-shirt.

 

“It’s warm out…” She reasoned, tossing the two towards the girl, “Tuck the shirt into the pants when you’re done.”

 

Mina just nodded and shooed the girl out of the closet before she got carried away and created a mess. Considering they had been best friends for a long time, it wasn’t weird for Sana to sit on Mina’s bed and watch the girl change out of her pyjamas and into the chosen outfit.

 

“So your parents aren’t home again?” Sana asked.

 

Mina shook her head. “They were busy at the hospital all week so they’ve been staying at the house near there instead of coming home. Mom came a couple times to cook for me but dad…” She trailed off and Sana didn’t push any further.

 

Sana was dragging Mina out the door as soon as the girl washed up properly and fully charged her phone, “Let’s go!”

 

“Wait, what about breakfast?” Mina asked, looking back at the door of her home as she was pulled towards the elevator.

 

Sana didn’t answer meaning one of two things. Either she hadn’t thought that far (which Mina assumed was probably the case) or she already had something planned. No questions were asked though because Mina knew that whatever was happening, Sana knew what she was doing. Their little trip consisted of a short walk to the bus stop and a ride several minutes away. Because she had no idea what was going on, Sana was constantly dragging Mina around and so she flinched slightly when the girl stood up abruptly and grabbed her wrist to tug her off of the bus. They walked a little bit more until Sana stopped in front of a little store.

 

“Wait here,” She said, running inside quickly and coming out almost right after with a small picnic basket in her arms, “ok, let’s go!”

 

Sana could no longer drag Mina behind her but she rushed the girl towards the next bus stop a couple blocks away. Mina on the other hand was quite entertained and the only thing that held her back from keeping up with her best friend was her little fits of laughter. Her best friend couldn’t even get mad or impatient. She loved Mina’s laugh too much. Somehow it was just as soft and gentle as Mina’s speaking voice and Sana couldn’t quite understand how there were billions of people on earth but she somehow managed to meet the person with the cutest laugh.

 

“Sana?” Mina called out, snapping the girl out of her little daze.

 

The bus had just stopped in front of them and they were rushed on with Sana nearly tripping on the steps. They sat down in the seats that were furthest back and Sana let out a deep breath. “Okay, we can relax for a bit.”

 

“How long?”

 

Sana looked out the window to see where they were and grinned, “Fifteen minutes?”

 

Mina rolled her eyes and giggled, “Alright.”

 

They rode in silence, only speaking when Mina would ask, “where are we going?”

 

All she would get in response was a dry, “you’ll see.”

 

When they finally got off the bus, Mina looked around not quite recognizing the area. She didn’t go out much unless it was with Sana or her friends on council and even then they didn’t do a lot other than study together. The two of them crossed the street and after about fifteen minutes of walking and another five or so of Sana twisting and turning through a little park they stopped at a nice shady area. Sana put the picnic basket down and opened it to pull out a blanket, setting it on the ground. She gestured for Mina to sit down and waited until the girl was comfortable before joining her.

 

“I just thought we’d have a little breakfast picnic and walk around, and then there’s an arcade a couple blocks away…” Sana’s voice broke off and she looked at Mina worriedly, hoping that the girl was satisfied with what she had planned.

 

Mina was touched at her best friend’s attempt to help her relax and she nodded her head enthusiastically, “I can’t wait!”

 

And just like that, they spent the entire morning and most of their afternoon in the little secluded park. They almost forgot about their plan to go to the arcade and only remembered when they passed by a group of young boys who were yelling loudly about the arcade and who was going to beat the newly set high score on one of the machines. Sana and Mina linked arms and walked in the direction of the arcade, stopping at an ice cream shop on the way for a little snack. They waited to finish their cones before continuing on. When they finally reached the arcade, Mina happened to spot a familiar group of girls surrounding a machine in the corner of the room. She nudged Sana with her elbow and pointed with her head, watching the girl’s eyes widen slowly and her lips break out into a smile.

 

Momo was playing the game, pressing away at the various buttons while Jeongyeon, Dahyun, and Tzuyu stood around her. Everyone seemed to be on their toes and were watching in complete silence as a result. Suddenly, Momo started pressing one of the buttons faster and faster until-

 

“Yes! I beat it! I beat the high score I set last week!” She high fived Jeongyeon while Tzuyu and Dahyun simply turned to each other and enthusiastically talked about how ‘Momo totally destroyed that final level!’

 

Mina and Sana wer

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter