three

look at me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Mr. Choi had asked Mina to tutor Momo she expected it to be bad. But she wasn’t expecting the girl to make jokes out of everything while shamelessly flirting with her throughout every explanation.

 

“Don’t you want to learn? Wouldn’t it make life easier if you wanted to go to some English-speaking country?” Mina asked, frustrated and shoving the cue cards aside all while giving Momo an exasperated look.

 

They were both seated at a long desk in Mina’s room, both of their bags tossed on the queen-sized bed along with their blazers. Momo shrugged and stared straight back at Mina,

 

“I don’t care about that, if I leave Korea it’ll be to go back to Japan so I don’t need it.”

 

Mina rolled her eyes and stood up, stretching, “I’m going to get water, do you want anything?”

 

Momo shook her head and watched Mina leave the room, leaning back in her chair. “This is stupid but at least she’s cute,” Momo mumbled. She stood up and began walking around the room to take it in as Mina didn’t quite give her the chance for any distractions the past couple of hours.

 

She noticed a small frame on the nightstand and stepped towards it to find a photo of a small family of three. It looked like a young Mina, perhaps four or five years old, accompanied by what Momo could only assume to be her parents. Unknowingly, she let out a smile at the thought of a baby Mina. Before she could reach out for the frame, Mina stepped back into the room.

 

“What are you doing?” She asked.

 

Momo turned around and stuck her tongue out, “None of your business-”

 

“You’re literally in my bedroom, whatever happens in here is my business.” Mina said while crossing her arms.

 

Momo laughed, “I don’t know why but that sounds a little weird, President. What do you want to be happening in here?”

 

“Can you stop doing that?” Mina asks, pointing to the chair so Momo knows to sit back down.

 

Momo sits and looks at Mina with a confused look, “Doing…?”

 

“Calling me President and Princess and whatever other nickname you have up your sleeve. Just call me Mina.”

 

“Huh. Not even Myoui?”

 

“Not even Myoui.”

 

Momo doesn’t answer Mina but rather points to the cue cards that had been pushed aside, “Should we continue?”

 

And so they did. For an agonizing hour Mina was stuck trying to teach Momo how to introduce herself in English while stating basic facts about herself.

 

“Hello, my name is Momo and I…”

 

“Like. I like.” Mina says in English before switching to Korean to explain, “Something you like.”

 

Momo nods in understanding and restarts, “Hello, my name is Hirai Momo and I like-,” she stops and looks Mina up and down before smiling mischievously, “Myoui Mina.” She finishes proudly.

 

Mina turns red and kicks Momo under the table. “Can you be serious about this?”

 

“I am! I mean, I like all cute girls so don’t feel too special. I just said your name cause you’re sitting here.” Momo explained while watching Mina turn red, although this time it could be in embarrassment or anger. The girl couldn’t tell.

 

“Whatever, we’re done for today so you’re free to go.”

 

Momo huffed and Mina heard her mutter a quiet “finally” under her breath as she got up and grabbed her backpack and blazer. “See you tomorrow, Pres-,” she stopped herself, “Mina.”

 

Mina followed her to the door and let her out, calling down the hall to remind Momo that they would have a tutor session at the same time tomorrow as well. Per usual, the rebellious girl waved away Mina’s words and continued to walk without looking back. The door closed and Mina returned to her room. She felt too exhausted from today’s events to eat dinner and decided it would be a good idea to go straight to sleep. Although she felt slightly guilty for not staying up to study, she told herself over and over that she deserved it. And so, after changing into pyjamas Mina allowed herself to doze off.

 

***

 

Everyone cleared the hallway as Mina stormed through, heading towards her homeroom classroom. She seemed to be in a rush while clutching her blazer. Thankfully, the morning meeting with student council had finished quickly which allowed everyone to get to class on time. Sana was hot on Mina’s heels, hiding a smile from those watching the two scurry through.

 

The classroom door opened fast and Mina immediately spotted her target. She took in a deep breath and calmed herself down before approaching the girl. Momo looked relaxed with her legs kicked up on the desk and her arms crossed behind her head. She smirked when Mina stopped in front of her desk and raised her eyebrows innocently.

 

“Something wrong?” She asked.

 

Mina smiled sweetly to cover up the anger that was boiling up inside her. “Can we meet in the bathroom please?”

 

Momo pouted and shook her head. “I’m afraid not, class starts soon, doesn’t it?”

 

Mina took in a breath to say something but Sana quickly dropped her hand on the girl’s shoulder. She cleared and looked at Momo, “We were in a council meeting when someone pointed out that Mina has the wrong name tag...or blazer? We aren’t quite sure why…” Sana looked between the two and continued, “But do you think you two could trade back?”

 

Whispers erupted from around the classroom from the students who were looking on.

 

“Why does she have Mina’s blazer?”

 

“Why does Mina have hers?”

 

Sana turned around and looked at those whispering, immediately silencing the entire class except for one last person,

 

“No way...Myoui Mina and Hirai Momo?”

 

Sana sighed and turned back to find Momo still smiling. “Oh? I didn’t seem to notice when I put it on this morning...my mistake Mina. We must have gotten it all confused after last night, right?”

 

Mina opened to speak but before she could Momo dropped her legs loudly to the ground and stood up, pulling off the blazer. She took the one in Mina’s hand and threw it on before sitting back down.

 

“Let’s do a better job remembering which clothes belong to who next time, okay?” Momo smiled and winked at Mina who shot her a glare and put her blazer on.

 

Sana pulled Mina away from the girl knowing that if she let her stay around Momo any longer she would probably rip her head off. The young girl still had a long future ahead of her and the last thing she needed was a jail sentence and dead classmate in her hands. They took their seats at the front of the classroom and pulled out their workbooks. Sana could sense that Mina was stressed from all the negative attention that had been on her earlier and put out a comforting hand. The latter turned to her confusedly but then smiled and took Sana’s hand into her own. They began whispering quietly about the previous night’s homework. Although they had already talked about it the day before when they finished it, Sana was just trying to distract Mina from the whispers that were still circling the classroom. So she pretended to be confused about one of the solutions and asked Mina to explain it to her fully.

 

Before they knew it, the bell rang and their homeroom teacher stepped into the room. They all greeted her as they usually did and just like everyday, Dahyun and Jeongyeon showed up late. The only difference was that Momo had been early for once. Mina suspected it was most likely because she wanted to with the accidental switch of their blazers. Actually, Mina was still trying to figure out whether the switch up was an accident or not.

 

The day went by slowly and Mina was thankful because it only meant that she had more time to calm herself down before having to face Momo again. Neither girl made any sort of contact with each other and Mina prayed for it to stay that way as she began heading to the cafeteria for lunch. Sana was next to her looking down at her phone and completely forgetting to pay attention to her surroundings. At some point she separated from Mina due to the distraction which resulted in her bumping into something. Her phone fell to the floor along with the other person’s book.

 

“Oh! I’m so sorry, I should’ve have been looking up!” Sana quickly apologized and bent over to retrieve both objects. She turned the book over and smiled,

 

“Pride and Prejudice? That’s a pretty good read…” Sana looked up and came face to face with one of the school’s delinquents.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter