Twinkle Twinkle Little Star

The Rain Mates, Eunhae ♡
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Twinkle Twinkle Little Star

Prepared by: DreamerA+

 

“Hyuk!” The little eight year old boy yelled from his perch on a large tree branch. “Hyuk, hurry. I’m scared!”

A tiny, eight year old boy came running towards the tree with two plastic bowls of almost melted ice-cream swimming and splashing as he ran. By the time he had reached the tree, the bowls were nearly empty and he sighed heavily. He sat the bowls down on the ground where some stray flies landed on them and dragged their butts over the rims and sides. One fell straight into the bowl. Hyukjae glared at them and shooed them away with his hands.

“Go away darn flies!” Hyukjae huffed and looked up at Donghae. The small boy sat on the branch, clutched the thick of it in his hands as he began to laugh at his best friend’s misfortune. That laugh did wonders to Hyukjae and sent him straight into a world of bliss which was better than any other world of pretend of dragons and aliens. He absolutely adored the laughing sound from that little boy sitting on the tree branch above him.

“Shut up, Hae!” Hyukjae stamped his foot and placed his hands on his hips. A fly landed on his forehead and the angry boy tried to smacked at it but only ended up thwacking his own skin. “Owwww.” He frustratingly rubbing his palm harshly against his forehead.

“What? I didn't say anything,” little Donghae giggled and watched his best friend clutch at the stinging spot on his forehead. He had on a green shirt, and denim capris with his favourite worn out black sneakers. His fair skin was tanned in summer and maybe the hint of darkness to it was also helped with dirt and mud. His eyes were as bright as a sun in the day time. They were Hyukjae’s favorite thing to look at ever since he could remember.

"Your stupid face did."

“Am not,” Donghae grumbled.

“Yes you are.”

“Am not.”

“Are too.”

“Am-”

“Boys? Hyukjae, Donghae ! Time for dinner!” A soft yell from Donghae's mother both boys look towards the two houses across the backyard.

“Hyuk!” Donghae’s fear of heights suddenly came back to him. “I can’t get down, I’m too scared!”

Hyukjae looked up at his friend with a determined face, and gripped the branch closest to him before lodging his foot in a small divide of trunk and hoisting himself up the tree. He placed his other foot on a thick branch and hauled himself up higher, finding himself sturdy enough. He reached his hand out to Donghae with a determined look.

“Come on Hae, grab it! We need to go home now. We don't want your mummy to come here and drag us back by our ears, right?”

Donghae looked at Hyukjae's hand and then back to his’s eyes. Eyes that brought Donghae calm in situations such as these.

Hyukjae extended it further. “Don’t worry, Hae. I won’t let you get hurt. I promise. Take my hand.”

And the sincerity in those eyes Donghae was obsessed with, gave him the courage to grab onto his best friend’s hand.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

A dark blue 60sf outdoor tent was done set up before sunset. It's at the same spot every year for the past five years, at Donghae's family backyard. With sweat covering his head and body, Donghae stood proudly in front of his hard work.

As usual, Hyukjae was seated next to him for a small birthday celebration over dinner prepared by his mum. Donghae & Hyukjaes' families are always together when celebrating birthdays but it was unfortunate that this time, Hyukjae's parents was out of the town visiting relatives. After dinner, Hyukjae excused himself to go back and Donghae went up to his room to take two sleeping bags and a pillow before he hurriedly went down the stairs. He bid good night to his parents before he smilingly opened the kitchen's door that take him to the backyard. He'd already laid a comforter and blankets earlier on. When he reached to his tent, Hyukjae was already there waiting for him. Clutching his pillow in his right hand, Hyukjae was looking up to the upper floor of his house. To be exact he was looking at his bedroom. It's only fifteen steps from where he was standing to his kitchen door and another fifteen steps to climb a flight of stairs to his room.

"Remind me again, why did I agree to do this with you again?" 

"Because you love me, and are willing to do anything to make me happy." Donghae nonchalantly replied as he walk past Hyukjae to put the sleeping bags inside the tent.

"How come you are so sure about that?" Hyukjae sighed, taking Donghae's pillow with him, walked inside the tent and arrange it nicely next to his and as he came out he saw Donghae was smiling at him.

"Of course I'm very sure. It's my birthday. I'm your best friend in the world. And you love doing this with me. That’s why we’ve been doing this every year. Sorry buddy, you're stucked with me forever.” Donghae said as he pointed at himself at the last part of his sentence.

"Maybe it's time for you to find a replacement because I'm not going to do a star gazing with you anymore. I chose to sleep on my fluffy bed in my room rather than a sleeping bag an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter