forever or for never?

Break up Diary

~few hours before Kibum updated his journal~

“Heechul!” called someone; her voice sends chills down Heechul’s spine. He looked up and saw Kibum’s first love smiling at him and obviously surprise to see him with someone but not Kibum.

“What brings you here? And you’re not meeting Kibum?” she asked glancing at the person opposite Heechul.

“Ah~ no we don’t have any plans tonight.” Answered Heechul and introduced Kyuhyun.

“We came to get some coffee.” He explained.

What the heck am I explaining? Kibum’s better at this than me he thought excruciatingly.

“Don’t drink too much or you won’t get some sleep.” Said Kibum out of nowhere, standing beside his first love, Heechul felt an unexplainable pang in his heart when he saw them together, with Kibum’s arm around the woman’s shoulders.

That’s why he doesn’t have plans for us. Well congratulations in getting the back! A green-eyed Heechul hissed deep within Heechul.

“If only someone wouldn’t keep me from meeting him then I’d meet him some other time.” Talked back Heechul, glaring at Kibum. Kibum gave his innocent smile.

“Whatever. Let’s go.” He said and led the way out for her.

“Kyuhyunnie let’s go somewhere fun after this!” Heechul voiced out, in a sweet voice.

Kyuhyun smiled at him. “No prob and if you don’t have any commitments tomorrow maybe we can go to the usual place. I’m off early at the university.” Answered Kyuhyun, touching Heechul’s nose lightly, all of which Kibum witnessed.

 

********************

The following day, Heechul felt tense about encountering Kibum in the hallway. He hasn’t two-timed once so obviously he had that guilty feeling while considering how many times Kibum two-timed on him. But no matter how much he said to himself that this is just fair he feels even guiltier.

-Bump!-

He hit his head against someone.

“Excuse m-“ he apologized but was cut short when he saw who he bumped against.

“How was your date? It must’ve been fun eh?” greeted Kibum smugly, touching the bags underneath Heechul’s eyes. Heechul shoved Kibum’s finger aside.

“It was your suggestion and yes I did havelots of fun.” He replied he started to walk pass Kibum but stopped to face him again. “And we’re going out this afternoon as well. To make up for the lost time, thanks to you Kyuhyun realized what he lost. Kumawo.” He said sarcastically and started to turn around. He felt his phone vibrate.

 

~New message~

=mianhae. . . just don’t forget about this Saturday. ~Pompous Brat=

he looked back but Kibum was already gone.

********************

Saturday came but Heechul spent his day lazing in his house until he got bored of what he was doing. He checked the wall clock

~4:00 pm~

“Psh! Whatever. I’m not seeing him today.” He mumbled and went for his room to change his clothes.

After yesterday, I’d rather spend my time studying for the entrance exam than see that brat. He thought as he combed and styled his hair, got his shoes on and his coat. The weather has begun to chill down.

“Mom, I’m going out!” he called out to his mother in the kitchen, taking his bag with him. I might get in the mood of studying.

 

~some time yesterday…~

Heechul was doing some stretching, he was alone until Kibum came and shut the door behind him.

“Whatever plans you have for this afternoon cancel them.” He ordered in his usual bossy tone, he was about to make his exit when Heechul protested.

“No way! You said that to make myself free this Saturday and that’s it.” Kibum turned back to face him with a cold expression. Heechul wondered since when did Kibum acted so coldly towards him, was it after that incident in the café?

“Cancel it.” he ordered again.

Heechul marched towards Kibum. “NO WAY! And I’m standing my ground this time! Why does everything have to go your way, huh? What’s wrong now, she got tired playing with you again?” Heechul retorted.

 

I’m so tired of being her replacement! Can’t we go out just because you want to and not to try and get her back? Was what Heechul wanted to add.

 

“Just tell Kyuhyun something came up. He’s a college student, he’ll understand.” Kibum was stubborn.

“Why does everything I do have to be linked with Kyuhyun?” Heechul asked in annoyance.

“Coz it always is isn’t it?” Kibum replied flatly. “That brat can two-time so can I is what you’re thinking and I did say I’d help you take Kyuhyun back but the one you’re dating now is me and not him so whatever I say you follow.” He said with the same detached expression.

“Give me one good reason why I should follow you this time. If it’s about her again forget about it, you’ve got eyes. That woman is obviously in love and you’re so out of your league.”

“It’s my birthday.” Kibum replied.

Heechul almost laughed but restrained himself. “Yea right, that’s a good one this time.” He said with skepticism and gave Kibum’s arm a pat. “Nice try but it won’t work on me. I’m not going.”

Kibum brushed his hand aside and left. But before he could he muttered something beneath his breath but Heechul couldn’t hear what he said.

 

********************

Heechul was leisurely strolling at the park when he came across that woman again. She was all smiles when she greeted him and he had to fake one.

“Eh, aren’t you and Kibum supposed to be on a date?” she asked.

 

What’s with all this act of innocence? You’re making me puke.Heechul thought.

 

“How did you like the gift?” she continued to ask, examining every aspect of him especially his expression. She rubbed a finger against her temple. “Don’t tell me he chickened out.” She said to herself.

 

What is this woman talking about?

 

“Or… maybe you did something exciting together that he forgot to give it to you! You must’ve given him one hell of a birthday present!” she said with a chuckle.

“S-something?!” Heechul stammered, just by the look of her whatever she said brought double-meanings to Heechul’s mind and made him blush. “Wait… birthday present?” he asked after regaining his composure in an instant. She nodded and that guilty feeling is coming in on him again.

“Didn’t you know? Yesterday was Kibum’s birthday.” She said then suddenly she smiled warmly as if she remembered something. “That kid, I thought he would never recover. And I’m so glad he has opened his doors again although it was for the reason to make me jealous and all.”

“You knew about it?” Heechul asked, the surprises just keep coming.

She nodded. “We discussed it when we met each other at the café. I never thought I’d see that green-eyed side of Kibum again.” She laughed, Heechul didn’t know what to say.

She came closer to Heechul and gently touched his cheek. “Take care of Kibum, he has been hurt once and maybe that was what’s suppose to happen.” She said softly and again surprised Heechul when she pushed him away. “Well, what are you doing here for? You’re already late for your date!” she said and waved at him goodbye.

 

So it really was his birthday?! !

Without waste Heechul ran to hail a taxi, despite all the shocking truths revealed the feeling of guilt drowned everything. He gave the instructions to the driver and tried to sit comfortably. He browsed his bag for his phone but was instead distracted by a black notebook.

He remembered how often Kibum would encourage him to read his journal, now he decided to do it. As if he wasn’t surprised enough by that woman, reading Kibum’s journal shocked him more.

What’s wrong with this day? Why does everyone want to surprise me? I’m gonna get a heart attack from all of these. He said to himself as he continued to read until he reached the current entries.

These entries made him even feel guiltier despite how Kibum calls him “Court Jester”. Then he came upon yesterday’s entry…

12/05/08

It’s my birthday! Mom and Dad called, shipped some cool gifts and that’s about it

[so he spent his birthday alone… no way! He must’ve gone to some club and flirted with everyone – Heechul commenting as he read]

yeah… I’m not joking. He was just enough but he didn’t come. I knew he wouldn’t but I guess I still wished he would… that like all those times despite what he said about ‘standing his ground’ he will show up.

 [tears welled up in Heechul’s eyes]

if Santa would just grant my wish early, I’d be really happy… can I have him for keeps? Haha *rolls eyes* I’m such a kid for believing such myth well as long as my wish is granted I don’t care if I’m laughed at..I wish he would come tomorrow…if he doesn’t… then I’ll surrender him to Kyuhyun without a fight… *sigh* so it’s really déjà vu

[that stupid kid! Why hand me over just like that?!]

Heechul had been crying, he didn’t notice until the driver handed him a tissue. “That’s just so… wonderful” the driver said in between sniffs. He also didn’t notice that he was reading aloud. “Erm.. Yeah… why are we not moving?” he asked his voice almost panicky. He took out some money and handed them to the driver. “I’m running! It’s close by.” He said his interpretation of ‘keep the change’. For some reason hearing the driver cheer on him made him feel better.

********************

~7:00 pm~

Heechul arrived at the amusement park but it was already closed. All the lights were out and everyone has left. He scanned the area, taking in deep breaths. No Kibum to be found. He fumbled for his phone and dialed Kibum’s number.

 

“I’m sorry!” he immediately spoke when he heard Kibum on the other end. It had begun to snow. The first snow of the season.

“I should’ve believed you about yesterday being your birthday but it’s your fault for always finding reasons for me to cancel any other engagements just so you can show off to that first love of yours. You shouldn’t have lied so many times you brat!” His apology turned into a sermon.

Kibum laughed at the other end. “Do you believe that when you’re with the one you love on the first day of snow you’re blessed to be together?” Kibum suddenly became sober.

“Kibum where are you?” Heechul demanded, he knew that Kibum was still at the amusement park, somewhere deep in his heart he knew.

“We’ll talk tomorrow, be sure to be punctual.” And Kibum hung up.

“Hello? Hello?” Heechul called then replaced his phone inside his pocket with a sigh.

 

He looked up at the dimly lit sky, gazing at the stars and snowflakes and softly whispered. “Sarang hae uhnjena youngwonhee” Unaware that Kibum was just hiding somewhere whispering the same words a contented smile on his face.

~THE END~


yes. it is the end for this fic already. lemme go check for the sequel coz i did make one. i forgot what's the header for that. anyway, i'll update this fic when i find it. but then again, maybe you'd like it to end this way? kekeke... >_@