chapter 2

our little home
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Halmeoni. Are we just going to let the kid do whatever he wants?"

 

Sojung asks, arms crossed as she watched the same scene unfold again for the past week. The old lady who had been looking through some boxes looks up to find the child looking through the variety of bread.

 

"Yes. And I'm also curious as to why you're so uncertain about the child. You keep asking if it's okay." The old lady asked though not a hint of frustration or irritation in her tone. Sojung flattens her lips into a thin line before sighing.

 

"I'm just...you know," She tilts back just a little before looking at the owner with a worried look and a raised brow. "What if the kid steals..other stuff and takes advantage of your kindness and generousity."

 

A smile spreads on Halmeoni's lips. "I understand your uncertainty about the whole thing but it's a matter of trust and kindness, Sowon-ah. I can see the chilld means no harm. Call it a grandmother's intuition." She said with her point finger up before shuffling into the box once again

"You said the kid's been coming here since two months ago. Have you tried maybe at least asking about where he's been or something?"

 

"We tried but the kid's pretty much the silent type. Actually we don't really know if the kid is a girl or a boy since they kept the hoodie on whenever they come here."

 

"For two months straight?"

 

"Hehe...mian. We would have taken the child in but he or she runs away before we could even start a real conversation." Halmeoni shook her head.

 

"We suspected that the child may have some kind of displeasure towards adults so we just let 'em be. We didn't want to pressure the poor child and trigger awful memories, if there are any."

 

"It's not bad to at least do good in this world. After all, we all need some kind of refuge, right? A safe haven or a place where we can be rid of all our worries and just be happy." Halmeoni let out a small 'aha!' when she found the object she was looking for. Sojung thought about her words before nodding.

 

"...Ne. That's true."

 

 


"Take care of yourselves, halmeoni, halabeoji." Sojung said, giving the elders a polite bow and a smile. 


"You too, Sojung-ah, have a safe trip back home! Don't stay out too late!" The elderly couple gives her a soft smile that made her heart feel whole before they waved and left. She watches until their figures disappeared into the shop.

 

Sojung lets out a breath as she tries to figure out the feeling in her heart when she saw those smiles and the greeting. She wasn't used to hearing words such as what the elderly couple had told her. She felt it was weird but a good kind of weird.

 

She's seen her family smile at her especially when she'd done an exellent thing that made her parents happy. Sure, she'd feel proud that she had made her parents happy when she filled their expectations and obeyed their order but for some reason it never made her feel like this. The elderly couple smiled at her with something she couldn't quite explain, but she knew it was definitely and entirely different from the kind that her real bloodline gave her.

 

Patting where she felt her heart beat, she tells to her heart to calm down and stop being weird before turning around.

 

Sojung silently walked down the path before she felt a drop of liquid touch her arm. She glances at her arm before up the cloudy sky, dark clouds rolling in. Looking back forward, she sees her car up head and run to it just as the rain started to fall.

 

She took out her keys from her pocket and opened the door to the driver's seat before settling in and closing. A relieved sigh escaped as she tossed her purse into the passenger seat.

 

The heavy rain fogs up the windows of the car until a figure suddenly runs and stops infront of the car. she swerves just in time, nearly but not hitting the figure.

 

"Shi--"

 

She pulls out her umbrella and exits her car, feeling the coldness of the air hit her skin giving her goosebumps. She runs over to the front and sees the child on the ground, unconsious. Sowon gasps and bites her bottom lip before bending down to check for any pulse. 

 

When she felt a faint thumping of the child's heart, she sighs in relief before pickkng them up. She curses as both she and the kid were wet from the rain but she needed to get the child to a much more warmer place.

 

"You better not die on me...!"

 

She mutters as she bends a bit to open the middle door and scooted the child inside on the seats. Sowon stops and took a few seconds, noticing the little child who looked no older than 11 years old looked a lot like a girl. After, she closes the door before going inside in the driver's seat and does the same.

 

The moment the car door closed, the sound of the rain immediately dimmed out just a little. With clattering teeth, Sojung immediately turns on the heater bringing both her hands to the little air vents to take in the warm and comfortable air.

 

"Huh?" Sojung hears a small voice, slightly deep but had a feminine tone coming from behind her. Her eyes glance up at the middle mirror before turning back to fully look at the child. 

 

"Hey, you're awake-"

 

"Let me out!" yelled the little girl when she found herself in the backseat of the car and a stranger in the driver's seat looking at her. Sojung looks at her, taken aback. "Unlock the door!"

 

The child began to kick at the door and banging her clenched fists at the windows, desperately trying to go out. Seeing her precious car getting manhandled, she jumps in her seat and tries to stop the kid.  "Hey, kid, no! The rain is heavy, we can barely see anything through it! Why would you-"

 

"I need to go back home!" The child screams at her, her thrashing getting frantic and frantic. A look of disbelief and frustration appears on her face when the child kept hurting and also getting a lot of water in her seats and dirt

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter