Chapter 2

Until the Last Leaf Falls
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It was a fine day. Baekhyun is currently on his swivel chair, he slightly swings it from side to side while watching the view he has. 

It’s been 2 days since the incident. For every second Chanyeol passes through his mind. He wonders if the guy is alright, he hopes he’s alright, now that he chose to stay away for a while. A part of him also wishes that the doctor would miss his weekly presence. While thinking things through the night after the incident, he suddenly decides to keep quiet for a month. After being in silence, he’ll show up again and give it another shot, if Chanyeol snaps again, then he’ll forfeit. 

Baekhyun’s thought of Chanyeol vanishes by the creak of his office’s door. He stood up to see who came in. He softly sighed when he recognizes his boss’ figure. 

“Mr. Lee! Good day, what brings you here?” He quickly approaches the CEO and led him to the couch. 

“Nothing, just doing my rounds, to see if all my staffs are efficient.” The old man raised a bit of an eyebrow to the young Baekhyun.

Baekhyun chuckles as he prepares some tea for the boss. “No. No need for tea! Today’s a little humid, I wouldn’t want anything warm in my throat. How about you Mr. Byun? It’s hot! How come your air conditioner isn’t ?” 

“Oh, I’m not sure about the weather, but I actually feel cold, probably because of the thin suit?” Baekhyun examines his outfit, before bringing his gaze back to the man and smiled.

“I don’t think that’s thin young man. But whatever’s comfortable for you. Keep working hard.” Mr. Lee gently pats Baekhyun’s hand, hitting a part of his wrist.

“Oh.” Baekhyun gasps when pain strikes on his wrist. He rolled up his sleeves to see what caused the pain. 

“Oh my…” The old man mumbles. Baekhyun’s jaw slowly drops when he found an almost bracelet-like bruise around his wrist. It was purplish and dark, it almost looked like he was handcuffed for days. He checked his other wrist to see if there’s a bruise as well, but they were perfect and pale. 

“What happened to your wrist Byun Baekhyun?” He worriedly asks his worker.

Baekhyun couldn’t spit a reason, so he shook his head and say, “I… I don’t know.” 

“You better have that checked. I’ll give you a sick leave for tomorrow. Make sure you go to the doctor.” Mr. Lee stood up and walked towards the door bringing his worried face out.

Baekhyun nodded to the air. He slowly went back to being seated on his chair and observed his wrist. Abruptly, he remembers the incident, it was the wrist that Chanyeol held to pull him out of the building. He scrunched his forehead in confusion. The grip was surely tight, but it wouldn’t bruise him like this. He doesn’t have the type of body to be easily bruised. However, it’s weird to only notice such bruise just now. 

So then, the next day, he took the sick leave and planned to go to the hospital. Unfortunately, his head hurts too much, it hurts that he couldn’t get up from his bed, he feels very lightheaded. Baekhyun didn’t know what was happening to him so he directly phoned Mr. Lee and asked to give his sick leave an extension because he couldn’t make it to the hospital today. Of course, the man permitted him. 

After hanging up, his thumb clicks on Instagram and as if on auto-pilot, he clicks on Chanyeol’s profile which was at the very top of his searches. 

To his surprise (not a happy surprise), Chanyeol had blocked him. 
He felt even dizzier than the moment he woke up. He feels worst. He could simply call Chanyeol and ask why he had blocked him, but it backfired that he has no right to ask such question.

Baekhyun wasn’t sure why he was feeling these symptoms, but figured that maybe it was because of the emotional damage that was made. He also convinced himself that Chanyeol’s grip was tighter than he felt and he just didn’t notice because he was crying, so his wrist was bruised. 

He tries to do something in bed. Read a novel, write a novel, but it wasn’t his thing. 
The television shows didn’t entertain him either, and the radio bored him even more. 

Luckily, his friend, Jongin came over to check on him. 
Instead of receiving care and comfort, the first thing he got was a slap in the head.

“You bastard! What the hell happened to you?” The boy greeted. 

Baekhyun weakly laughed at him and shrugged. “I don’t know.” This time his voice was really broken. No pretensions. 

Jongin shook his head and sat on the edge of the bed. “And man, it’s so warm here! Why don’t you turn some fans on?” Commenting on the temperature while fanning himself by holding his collar and moving them up and down. 

“I feel cold.” The guy replies before closing his eyes. 

It wasn’t his plan to sleep, but Baekhyun fell asleep. 

When he opened his eyes, he was already surrounded by white. It was too white, it almost blinded him. It must mean that the place is clean, but no. He’s lying on a hospital bed, in the hospital, one of the dirtiest place on earth. 

“You feeling better?” Jongin taps on Baekhyun’s shoulder to gain attention. 

“Oh… What the hell? How did I get here?” He slowly tried to get up, and Jongin quickly helps him for support.

“When you fell asleep, you didn’t woke up for like, 10 hours dude! I nearly cried, if it weren’t for your breathing, I thought you were dead! So I brought you to the hospital.” His friend explains, clasping his hair by his hand. 

“So what’s up with me? How long have I been lying here?” 

“About a day? I missed a day in work for you, pay me as a boy-nanny!” Jongin kids to lighten up the atmosphere. He wasn’t ready to bring the news to Baekhyun. 

“Oh, thanks… So? What’s up?” Baekhyun asked again, as he noticed that his question was left unanswered.

“Baekhyun…” Jongin nervously bites his lips. 

“Uh-huh?” 

“Ah, I better call the doctor.” Jongin pressed the button to call a doctor. Within minutes, a doctor and a few nurses came to the room with a dreadful news.

“Mr. Byun. You’ve been diagnosed of AML, which stands for Acute Myeloid Leukemia.” The doctor sighed to pause and waited for Baekhyun’s reaction before proceeding. 

“Huh?” Baekhyun knows nothing about diseases so it was all he could say, and maybe because of shock. 

“It’s a type of Leukemia, and Leukemia is a cancer in the blood. To make it simple, your body has a problem in normally producing enough red blood cells, white blood cells, and even blood platelets. It’s caused by the excess white blood cells that are immature, that causes cancer in the blood and in your bone marrow. Let me ask you Mr. Byun, have you had any blood disease when you were young?” The doctor explains and asks. 

“Uhh, y-yeah. I remember, I was anemic when I was young. I almost had leukemia back then, but I was able to fight it. Thanks to those native chicken eggs, my gradma used to let me drink it raw.” Baekhyun replies with his eyes squinted, trying to remember more details. 

“That information is enough for now. It’s good that you have been brought to the hospital right away, the cells spread really quick. Have some proper rest today, then we’ll do more tests tomorrow.” All the personnel left, and he was alone with Jongin again. 

“What the actual ? I’m dying man.” Baekhyun laughs after the load of information sinks into him.

“Don’t kid around like that! See, that’s your karma, Baek. You fake you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter