Chapter 3

Until the Last Leaf Falls
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Please? Just for 3 days, I just really need to go to this business trip.” Jongin pleads on Chanyeol. 

“No, I’m busy too! Can’t you see these?!” Chanyeol directed his hand to the pile of documents stacked on the top of his desk. 

“3 days! Just 3 days! You can review those in his room, Baekhyun’s not that noisy anymore I swear!” The sun-kissed boy convinced, flashing his three fingers in front of Chanyeol's eyes. 

Jongin needs to attend to their company’s business trip. Usually he wouldn’t mind going, and Baekhyun will just tell him what happened and stuffs, but since Baekhyun can’t come, he’s obliged to take over the absence. Baekhyun didn’t have anyone, so here’s Jongin, pleading for Chanyeol to watch over Baekhyun for three days. 

“Doesn’t he have anyone else?” Chanyeol asked in an annoyed tone.

“No. Would I ask you if there’s someone else? For your information, you’re my last resort! After what you did to him, if I’m to make the decision, I’d rather take him to another hospital, where you’re not around!” 

“Then why don’t you?” Chanyeol challenged. Jongin rolled his eyes, trying to control himself not to punch the doctor. 

“He’s too weak to travel, okay? How come you don’t know that?” Jongin sighed in dismay. He imaginarily waved the white flag and stormed out of the office.

Chanyeol was left dumbfounded with the realization of his insensitivity. He rose from being seated and travelled to Minseok’s office. 

“What’s his case?” Minseok raised his eyebrows on his friend and placed his head on top of his hand, elbowed on the desk. 

“AML.” He answers. Although Chanyeol didn’t mention any name, he was sure that the junior was pertaining to Baekhyun.

“.” He blurts and exited the office. He went to the station to ask for Baekhyun’s room number, and when he got an answer he rushed to the room and stormed in without knocking.

“I’ll be out for 3 days, I’m sure you know how these buttons work right- who the hell? Chanyeol!” Jongin exclaims. 

“Attend your trip. I’ll look over him.” He plainly says then looked away, avoiding to meet Baekhyun’s eyes.

“Yes! Thank you. I knew you have some heart with you.” Jongin teased. Chanyeol fakes a punch on the guy upon getting closer. 

“Baekhyun’s things are right there, so if he asks for something, it should be in one of his bags. There’s nothing much to do, just feed him, watch over him, make sure he doesn’t do anything crazy, and stuffs.” Jongin took a glance on his watch before continuing. “And, I gotta go cause I still need to pack. I’ll see you in days.” He gently ruffles Baekhyun’s hair and cracked a dazzling smile. "You'll be alright, yeah?" Jongin asks before heading out. Baekhyun just nods.

He steps closer to the doctor and whispered, “If I get a news about your cruelty towards him, I’ll make sure that you’ll get out of this hospital instantly.” The guy smiled again and vanished.

Chanyeol gulps and takes a seat on the chair beside Baekhyun’s bed. 

“H-How are you feeling?” He tries to ask without looking at the patient, also trying to keep his voice stable. In his peripheral vision, he saw Baekhyun turn his back on him before replying. “Grand.” But he doesn't sound grand at all. His voice was broken, and Chanyeol could hear his heavy breathing, although he was sure that the guy was in bed all night and day.

Baekhyun wasn’t sure how to act so he decides to keep it like that; to keep quiet, and not let Chanyeol feel his presence, so that he can still comply on Chanyeol’s want, not to have him around. He also knew that the doctor didn’t really want to watch over him, and maybe was just driven by guilt, so he kept his hopes optimised. 

“Can I check your bruises?” The doctor asks. Baekhyun turned his back lying straight before nodding. Chanyeol stood up and held the brunette's wrist to examine the bruise. 

He pressed his eyes close when it registered to him that he was the one who made the bruise. 

“I’m sorry…” His voice was deep and mellow. Baekhyun never imagined that he could hear him speak like that again. He was always angry.

“What for?” Baekhyun lightly chuckled and withdrew his wrist from Chanyeol’s hold. 

“I made it right? This one too.” He says as he pulls the shirt down a little to expose Baekhyun’s bruised chest and shoulder. 

“It’s how my body works now. I’m sure your grip wasn’t that tight. I barely felt it.” He guarantees with a smile. 

Chanyeol agonized upon hearing Baekhyun’s broken voice, asking himself why he hadn’t treasured the young man’s voice when they were perfect, although they still sound perfect to him right now. 

“It was tight.” He sighs. “Sorry, I didn’t know…”

“I didn’t know too. Don’t stress over it, I don’t wanna cause you more.” Baekhyun weakly laughs. He’s a little nervous about Chanyeol watching over him, he’s sure he’s only disturbing the doctor from work again. 

“No, I’m not stressed.” 

“You know? I can handle myself, so you can go and do work. I didn’t know that Jongin came to ask you, so I wanna say sorry on behalf of him too.” It was obvious that Baekhyun is pushing him away. Even if he said he’s not scared of Chanyeol, it’s clearly not what it looks like now. 

“I’m already here. It’s just 3 days, so it’s fine.” 

“Stop forcing yourself. Don’t pity on me, cause I’m telling you, I’m fine! And exactly, it’s just 3 days so there’s nothing to do for me here, I’m just gonna sleep all day.” Baekhyun turned his back from the doctor again and closed his eyes. Without his intention, he fell asleep again. 

Chanyeol watched him sleep for hours, as he reconcile with himself. There was a sudden change of wind that was blown to him. He was expecting an energetic Baekhyun that would annoy him even if he’s sick, but Jongin was telling the truth when he said that Baekhyun won’t be as noisy as before anymore. 

He missed the shouting, he suddenly missed being annoyed on the guy. Not that he likes hurting Baekhyun’s feelings, but he never thought that they would come to this situation. Where Baekhyun would keep quiet due to weakness, when he has to be the one to bring him food, and when he’s the one to visit him. Chanyeol suddenly wonders if Baekhyun once wished to be visited by him, if he also wanted to be treated by food, and all the stuffs Baekhyun does for him. 

Chanyeol still doesn’t like Baekhyun, and he still considers him as a patient only. He’s sure he’s doing all of these out of guilt, or at least he thinks.

He called his favorite Italian restaurant for a box of pizza. He didn’t know what Baekhyun’s favorite food is, so he just ordered his, after all, Baekhyun seems to like them because of him. 

The brunette still hasn’t woken up, he’s already in an eight hour sleep, and Chanyeol doesn’t know how Baekhyun managed to just stay in bed to sleep for hours. It was probably because of Baekhyun’s regular attack of headache so he’ll just choose to sleep. 

When the clock strikes midnight, Chanyeol fell asleep at the side of Baekhyun’s bed, but not long, he was awaken by the brunette’s screaming. 

“Ah!” He exclaims. Chanyeol panics as he watch Baekhyun suffer in pain. He quickly pressed the button for a doctor, although it’s supposed to be pressed once, he didn’t stop until Minseok comes in. 

The doctor and nurses did what they had to do to calm Baekhyun down. When he was settled, they gave him a sleeping shot so he could go back to sleep. Chanyeol was still anxious although Minseok had explained that it was normal for Baekhyun to feel extreme headaches so he didn’t have to worry much. Chanyeol defended that he’s not worried, but the senior insisted. 

“If you’re doing these out of guilt, don’t make it too obvious that you’re worried.” He pats Chanyeol’s shoulders before leaving. 

Chanyeol sighed and went back to sleep. 

The next day, he took Baekhyun out to get some fresh air. In a span of 24 hours, the sick looked weaker, his body was also thinning although he gets to eat enough food. Baekhyun’s hair were only turning dry which Baekhyun is very happy of. He says he didn’t want to lose his hair. 

The patient didn’t want to ride a wh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter