THE BEGINNING

Another Cinderella Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"Serves you right for spoiling people's dreams…"

 

 

Haughty laughter filled the room.  The dim lights escalated on the glass ceiling, paved just enough illumination to take a look at the guests in their modern apparel, immaculately dressed, smiling smugly at one another.  She was dressed nicely for the evening as well, but she had insisted to wear her Chucks, and there was nothing that had stopped her from doing so.  Everything seemed real, but it never really was.  Their conversation about how much they made, how much they had, how much they offered.  It was sickening that the blonde girl just had to get away. 

 

She shields her ears from dimwitted remarks and makes her way to the mansion's balcony, sipping the glass of lemonade whilst admiring the view surrounding the city of Seoul.

 

"You're such a pretty thing for these people to be surrounded by you, unfortunately for you, I may be one of those people." the blonde remarks rather sadly.

 

Talking to the city was never a good thing for her kind, but who could stop her?  It wasn't as if she was killing people with talking to herself?  She sighs deeply, heavily thinking of what might become of her future.  She's a young bachelorette, admired by most of the young male species, but no one had ever caught her eye, specially so that she wasn't even looking for a mate.

 

What was she even doing here?  Amongst the crowds of fleeting guests her father had called over.  She might as well have been working at the factory she once dreamed of, but no, of course not.  "What would a proper lady as yourself do in such a dump?" as her father had quoted.  It wasn't that the woman hated her lifestyle, she considers herself quite blessed actually.  It was because she couldn't understand why her people had to act like such...such bastards.  Walking down the pavements, pushing aside the unprivileged, always getting what they want without so much as an effort.  It was tedious.

 

The only thing that kept her from leaving the wonderful place filled with hypocrites was her oath.  The oath she had sworn to her late mother.  She remembers it clearly, how her mother had held on to dear life before she was gone.  The thoughts of the good old days with her favourite person in the world hurt her bit by bit.  She was breathing unsteadily now as the memories came flooding back, but just as she was about to collapse from wavering too much, a pair of arms grab her firmly by the waist.

 

"Lis," he speaks softly.  His fragrance a scent to behold, and it was something very familiar to the blonde woman.  She sighs in relief, thanking the man quietly as she tries to regain her composure. 

 

The man had not let go of her until she had fully started to breathe normally once again.  The blonde turns to her saviour and smiles.  A small smile grazing her lips, telling the man that she was not okay.  How could she?  When her life's as miserable as it could ever have been.  A typical rich girl, without a mother and without the freedom to make her dreams come true.  How can she truly be happy?

 

"BamBam," she calls out.  The man was standing beside her, leaning his lower back onto the balcony's railings.

 

He looks at her, eyes filled with concern.  He opens his arms wide for the woman, and the woman, almost immediately, secures herself in his arms.  She's now pouring, drenching the poor man's button-up with her tears as they continuously flow out of her tear ducts. 

 

"Shh, don't cry.  I'm here." he assures.

 

The blonde just continues, wailing out louder than ever.  It was a normal thing for the man who held her in her arms.  Seeing his best friend crying was the completely ordinary thing he sees her do.  It's been like this for the past two years.  Two years ago, when the fate of her mother had been decided.  Two years ago when her fate had been decided.

 

"Bam," she manages to utter amidst all the sobbing, "I want to go home.  I don't want it here anymore." she wails.

 

Her best friend takes pity on the woman engulfed in his embrace.  If only things were easy like that, he would've already done so much for the disoriented maiden.  Carefully, he adjusts her figure, making her look him in the eyes.  He stares at her big brown orbs, and gives her the comfort she needed through his soft eyes.

 

"Do you remember when you first came here?" he asks.  The woman nods, as he smiles even wider, just thinking of how they first came to meet.

 

"Do you remember how shy you were when you entered this mansion?  You were quite taller than me that time, but I remember still how we came to be best friends."

 

The blonde smiles.  She also remembers the day she had stepped foot into this mansion.  How she was gripping tightly onto the hem of her mother's long dress when they first arrived, and seeing the little boy in front of them was even more terrifying than her experience with riding the plane for the first time. 

 

"I'm different," she thinks to herself, as the figure of the boy makes his appearance known. 

 

She prays silently that the boy would not come to talk to her, as she could not understand the language.  She starts to sweat unbearably so as the little boy nears her. 

 

"Please," she thinks to herself.  "Don't talk to me," she wishes silently.

 

"Hi!" the boy beams at her in their native language.  Suddenly she doesn't seem afraid.  Upon hearing a familiar dialect, she instantly widens her eyes, now smiling at the boy.

 

"Hi!" she replies with the same amount of enthusiasm.  And without deferment the two youngsters click without so much as another word.

 

The man now hums as he sees the creeping smile, much bigger now, that was impending on the girl's face.

 

"I'm glad that you smile when you are reminded of how we met, it means a lot."

 

"Then," the blonde starts off, "I'm glad that you're glad."

 

As they were about to extend on their conversation, the woman feels a light tap on her shoulder.  She looks at her best friend who has his brow raised.  He sighs audibly enough for the intruder to hear.  The blonde turns her whole body to identify the culprit.  None other than Bobby Kim.

 

"Hi Lisa," he greets.  Then suddenly the woman named Lisa felt like all her energy, which her best friend had put much effort to restore, had been drained by just the mere sight of him.

 

"Bobby," she mutters with evident disinterest.  She turns her back towards the poor man, and appraises BamBam, her best friend.

 

"Bam," she calls.  The man gives her a knowing smile, as if they read each other's minds.

 

"Anything for you," BamBam replies.  Soon enough they were dashing out of the hallways hand in hand, giggling and tripping from time to time, leaving Bobby confused and with heart broken.  The soles of BamBam's shoes could be heard clacking, Lisa's, on the other hand, squeaking. 

 

They were now comfortably settled at one of the convenient stores not far away from the mansion.  They order a cup of ramen, each for both of them.  While waiting for the instant noodles to arrive, BamBam takes notice of Lisa's apparel, specifically at the lower division.  He laughs. 

 

"You really wore Bam at your father's own party?" he questions amused.

 

Lisa rolls her eyes good-naturedly.  "Of course I did." she answers proudly.

 

BamBam laughs, quite flustered and flattered that Lisa wore the Chucks they had bought together the other day.  It was a funky-looking pair, and the man thinks it could compliment any kind of outfit.  He points it out for the blonde to get a look-see, and she immediately falls in love, even naming it after her best friend was not enough.   

 

He can never forget how hard she squealed when it was being punched at the counter.  It was as if he can still hear the shrill scream emitting from the girl beside him.   

 

"And what did Daddy say about this?" he inquires resting his chin on the palm of his hand.  He had taken quite the interest in the father and daughter's conversations slash bickering sessions.  It was humorous not to listen to, especially with the daughter always going rebellious. 

 

"The usual," Lisa shrugs.  The food arrives shortly, the two thank the man and soon they are dining in.

 

In hopes to getting the full details of the story, BamBam questions even further.

 

"What did he tell you?"

 

Lisa clears , composing the best impression she could muster up of her father.

 

"He says, in quote, 'Lisa, what did I tell you about those shoes?  What would your mother tell you about this?', that's what he said."

 

BamBam chuckles, "And what did you say?"

 

"I said, in quote, 'Well, mom would think I look rather elegant.  A great mix and match, well done Lisa.  That's what she would tell me', I told him."

 

The man burst out laughing, a piece of ramen coming out from one of his nostrils as he expresses himself.  Lisa snorts, "God, look at you, pigging out again aren't we?" she passes one of the napkins to BamBam as he spurts half the noodle that was still inside his nose.

 

"Thanks," he replies after.  "What did he say then?"

 

"He enlightened me of my stepmom once again." she smiles sarcastically.

 

"Hmm, no more then."

 

BamBam knows of Lisa's misfortune.  How she had to go through all the life could throw her way.  Two months after her mother's death, her father started to date a new woman.  They were introduced and after a week, her father surprises her with their engagement.  It was a weary life for Lisa.  The new mother had greatly influenced the father that Lisa should go work at their company.  Lisa's father was hesitant at first, and Lisa hoped that he would deny the offer, but she only got her hopes up.  Not being able to do anything about it she just resorted to the rebellious young lady she now is.

 

In this convenient store, Lisa was a whole different person.  Or rather she was a different person in front of her father and her stepmother. 

 

In this convenient store, no one would judge her.  No one would tell her to act appropriately, no one would dare stop her in her better judgments.  No, in this convenient store, she was capable to fully be herself.   Where she would laugh without restraint, tell stories with all the curse words she knew, and pig out whenever she wanted to.  All the training bestowed upon her about fine dining was a lost cause.  She wasn't the proper lady here, she was the Lisa her best friend knew she was.  The best friend he'd loved and cared for, even up to this day.  The best friend who has ambitions, who had ambitions.  In this world, she was free from the mansion she was trapped upon.  In this world, she couldn't care less for the father who shoved aside the memories of her mother and she couldn't care less for the new woman who supposedly swept him of his feet.

 

They got through the night just as exhilarating as it started when they departed from the large mansion.  BamBam had invited her to go to the amusement park as she had never been to one.

 

"Are you sure it's safe?" she's seated on one side of a cart at the Ferris wheel.  She has her arms tightly wrapped around one of BamBam's, the circulation of which might not be enough, but for what it's worth, at least he'd see his best friend finally enjoying life.

 

"It's alright, I got you." he pats the top of her head with his free hand.  Soon the ride starts and Lisa does enjoy more than she ever knew.

 

Upon hopping out of the cart, she immediately drags BamBam to one of the roller coaster rides. 

 

"Let's try that one next," she points out to the biggest roller coaster in the park.  BamBam gulps, he did not expect this of her, but to hell with it anyways.  The little things he would do just to keep Lisa's smile etched on her face till dawn comes.  They weren't planning on going home till then, so might as well do everything.

 

"Are you sure?  Doesn't seem like your cup of tea though," he reckons, still hoping that something might snap inside Lisa's mind and change her rash decisions of riding such a monstrous display.

 

"I'm sure, Bam," she squeals in line, she turns to face him as she was in front, "Unless, you're too chicken to even accompany me this time."

 

BamBam huffs, "Are you challenging me?" he raises a brow.

 

Lisa shows off a lopsided smile, "I don't know.  Am I?"

 

The conversation ended with Lisa's question, BamBam doesn't go any further.  As they inch nearer the entrance, he suddenly feels his palms sweating as well as every part of his body.  His heartbeats become erratic and there's absolutely nothing that can stop how fast it's beating.

 

The next thing BamBam knows is that he was being safely buckled up by the coordinator.  They were instructed on what to do when the ride starts.  Nothing really registered in his mind, just the thought of having to go through this hell of a ride was frightening.  He glances over at Lisa, who was smiling from ear to ear.

 

"At least she's having fun," he thinks as he gives a small smile, but it still does not dismiss the fact that he'd have to go through this.

 

He hears the clinking of metals and that's when he knows.  He knows everything's going to be blurry as soon as they actually get into the mid-part of the ride.  He can't hear anything except for the deafening screams Lisa gives.  The best part of the worst ride of his life was seeing her this happy.  He missed her smile dearly and seeing her with the widest of them all was like having all of his dreams come true.

 

Her eyes were forming little crescents when she laughs, her teeth sparkling white as they show when she screams, her cheeks puffing up with every tiny bit of excitement she was feeling.  She feels free, the chains and the fetters were not binding her any longer.  Right now she was just living the moment with her best friend who was looking sick as ever.  She looks equally concerned for him, but the hilarious part of it was too overwhelming she starts laughing.

 

"Bam, are you okay?" she asks in between her laughter.  She pats his back and earns a hiss from the man beside.

 

"Why did we even come here?" he asks, on the verge of hurling.

 

All Lisa could do was laugh.  Much to the blonde's dismay, the ride stopped and they look for the nearest trash bin around the corner where BamBam does his 'business'.  She hands

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter