Epilogue: together again

High School Sweetheart

Seven am on a Sunday morning and Seulgi wakes up and turns to face the angelic face of Bae Joohyun next to her. She stares at the face of her high school crush with a sweet smile as Joohyun cuddles closer to close the gap that Seulgi had left. Her arm flings over and rests itself on Seulgi's waist like it was the most natural thing in the world. Even after six months of marriage. Six months of waking up next to this beautiful face, Seulgi still can't believe how surreal it is to be married to Bae Joohyun, her first love, her only love. Her high school crush.

 

She places a chaste kiss on her wife's forehead and smiles as she recalls what a nervous wreck she was back then whenever Joohyun is around.

 

- Flashback -

 

"Are you even listening to me?"

 

"H-huh?" Seulgi tears her gaze away from the group of girls laughing and smiling as they cross the schoolyard. Before turning back to give Sooyoung an apologetic smile, her gaze can't help but lingers a little longer at the one in the center.

 

Though they were all wearing the same uniform, somehow Bae Joohyun stands out among the crowd. She makes the ugly plaid skirt and hideous giant red bow tie that they have to wear daily seem fashionable and cute.

 

Well, anything that Bae Joohyun does nowadays, Seulgi finds adorable.

 

It has been two months since that fateful day where Joohyun stepped in to protect her in PE class. Two months since Seulgi's heart first beat for the kind-hearted class president. Two months of constant thinking, observing, and learning about Bae Joohyun.

 

She can't help it. It's like the girl has implanted a radar in her head. Anytime anything that resonates Bae Joohyun is in the vicinity, Seulgi can't help but focus in and her eyes become magnetically glue to the detected target.

 

The small dimple in the corner of her lips. That mole in the corner of her eye. The way she rubs her thumb and index together when nervous. How she smiles warmly at all her peers. How her voice hardens when she reprimands the bullies in school.

 

Seulgi has noticed it all.

 

--

 

"You're ignoring me again!"

 

"W-w-wh-what?" Seulgi snaps her head back to the source of the voice and tried to look as innocent as possible.

 

"I said you're ignoring me again because you're too busy staring at the president!" Sooyoung repeats herself much louder this time causing Seulgi to flusters at the risk of being exposed.

 

"I-I was not!" She tries to defend herself in a loud whisper while her eyes betrayed her as they follow the silhouette of Bae Joohyun, the said president.

 

"Hah! Don't think I haven't notice Kang Seulgi. You've been boring holes at her backside for months now!" Sooyoung scoffs at Seulgi's unconvincing lie. "Just confess to her already!"

 

"C-c-confess? I-I-...S-she.." Before she can refute, Seulgi's voice is drowned out by the ringing of the bell. But the thought is already there. Has been there. She's way out of my league.

 

The two friends gather their belonging and make their way back to class. From the corner of her eyes, she can see that Joohyun is also making her way toward her class. A different class.

 

Seulgi waves back shyly when Joohyun kindly acknowledges her presence with a small nodded smile.

 

And with a turn of the corner, she disappears from their view. Seulgi's view.

 

--

In the safe haven of her own mind, Seulgi willingly admits that she likes Joohyun. Maybe even like like Joohyun. And maybe even like like like Joohyun. But she knows that she's not the only one. She can't be the only one.

 

There is always a line filled with people waiting to compliment and confess to the girl.

 

Everyone knows about Bae Joohyun. Everyone knows of Bae Joohyun. But Seulgi likes to think that not everyone knows Bae Joohyun.

 

And in her two months of observation, Seulgi finds herself falling deeper and deeper for not only the sweet and angelic form of their class president but also her outspoken personality and hard-working attitude. The more embedded features of the girl that most people choose to glance over in favor of the beautiful shell and innocent smile.

 

And to Seulgi, she sees Joohyun and the girl is beautiful inside and out.

 

--

"Ya! Everyone! Chuggi is here! Get your food now before she devours everything." One of the jerks announces across the cafeteria with an arrogant crackle that causes all gazes to shift toward the entrance of the cafeteria where Seulgi stands with her head hangs low.

 

Seulgi tries to ignore the teasing and finger pointing as she makes her way toward the line. She can hear the distant crackles that she hates so much inching toward her. Any minute now, those boys are going to appear before her and throw some more mean jokes right to her face this time.

 

3

2

1

 

"Hi, Seulgi!"

 

Surprisingly, what greets her are not those minions of the devil but the voice of an angel.

 

"J-Joo-Joohyun!" Seulgi turns around to come face to face with the face that she has been looking at, looking for, for the past months. Hic. Her heart is thumping rapidly at their proximity.

 

"Don't listen to them Seulgi." Joohyun puts her hand reassuringly on Seulgi's shoulder as if trying to comfort her. "They're just a bunch of immature idiots." Joohyun turns to the pack of boys frozen midway and sends them a stern glare.

 

"Ha. Ha." Seulgi laughs awkwardly not knowing what to say. Listen to them? She can't even hear anything right now with the thumping of her heart drowning out all the noise.

 

Bae Joohyun is talking to her! Did she come to comfort her? She usually waits for her friends to line up together.

 

"So, what are you getting for lunch, Seulgi?" Joohyun asks after noticing the silence that is engulfing them.

 

The topic of food brought Seulgi out of her shelf a little and she started listing out the dishes that she had been anticipating. "Probably a serving of the soy chicken, braised beef, and grilled pork. And some fries and chips on the sides!" Her eyes glisten at the thought of food.

 

She was so engrossed in her list that she didn't realize the long menu of food that she had just listed. She glances up slowly, afraid to see Joohyun's reaction. To see if she looks horrified at the amount of food she plans to eat.

 

What greeted her is a soft chuckle instead. "You're cute, Seulgi! I have never seen anyone who talks about food so excitedly before."

 

"Ha. Ha." Seulgi laughs stiffly while her inside is having a nervous breakdown. Bae Joohyun just called her cute!

 

Joohyun leads the conversation while Seulgi listens attentively. Unfortunately, the line was way too short, they reached the end way too quickly, and too soon did they have to part way.

 

--

"Looking for me?" Sooyoung pops out right behind Seulgi as she lines up for lunch the following day.

 

"H-huh? Uh...yea." Seulgi clears during the reply. Honestly, she has been looking for Joohyun. Hoping for Joohyun to line up behind her again so she can redeem for her lack of social skill yesterday.

 

She was even practicing the whole night yesterday. And she's confident that she can do better if there's another opportunity. But she hasn't seen the girl coming into the cafeteria at all.

 

Seulgi perks up a little when she sees Joohyun's inner circle walking into the cafeteria, from the corner of her eyes.

 

But to her disappointment, Joohyun is not with them at all.

 

Seulgi drowns out Sooyoung's voice to eavesdrop on the conversation that Joohyun's friends are having.

 

"Where's Joohyun?"

"She's stuck doing student council's work."

"So, she's not eating lunch?"

"Guess not."

 

Worried about Joohyun’s lack of lunch, Seulgi finishes her lunch quickly and gave Sooyoung some lame excuse before dashing off.

 

Outside Joohyun's classroom, Seulgi digs through her backpack for the snacks that she always carries around, Pringles, her favorite.

 

She peaks into the room to see if anyone is in there.

 

Once confirmed that the coast is clear, Seulgi tiptoes into the classroom and places her snacks on Joohyun's desk with a small note that reads "Eat well >.<"

--

 

Joohyun's stomach was grumbling like the coming of a brewing storm. But it is too late to head to the cafeteria for food.

 

She heads back to her class hoping to find something to snacks on and sustain her until school is over.

 

To her surprise, a bright red can of Pringles sits ceremoniously on her desk while the mustache logo smiles dearly at her.

 

She inches closer to her desk and to the can of Pringles and sees the cute little note of top with an adorable drawing of a smiley face.

 

Joohyun smiles as she opens the can and munch on the chips. She looks thoroughly at the note but unfortunately, the sender did not leave a name to be identified.

 

Pringles has never tasted to good before.

 

- Flashback end -

 

The minute Joohyun wakes up, she reaches over to feel for the warmth of her wife and, perhaps, pull her close to cuddle against. But to her disappointment, she finds the other side of the bed empty.

 

After a few minutes, Joohyun gets up and waddle outside to find the person she’s been looking for sitting comfortably on the couch.

 

“Morning babe. You’re up so early.” Joohyun’s greeting comes with a hint of a pout. A little sadness that she didn’t get to cuddle with Seulgi this morning.

 

“Morning Hyun.” Seulgi returns the greeting with open arms, welcoming her wife into her embrace.

 

Joohyun settles onto Seulgi’s lap and rest her head on Seulgi’s shoulder while Seulgi wraps her arms around her body in a strong and comforting embrace.

 

They stay so for a few minutes basking in the smell of fresh coffee and soft music in the background before Joohyun speaks up.

 

“Are you eating Pringles for breakfast?” Her voice is soft yet stern. She doesn’t like it that Seulgi is filling her stomach with junk food so early in the morning.

 

“Um…No?” Seulgi attempts to hide the can of Pringles behind the cushion. Shuffling it deep under the couch yet forgetting to brush off the crumbs on her shirt.

 

Seeing her wife’s cute attempt to hide the evidence, Joohyun decides to let her off the hook this time. She grabs the can of Pringles peaking from behind the cushion and walks toward the kitchen.

 

“You know, I use to eat a lot of Pringles back in high school too.”  She opens the can and eats a few pieces before sealing it completely away behind the cabinet.

 

“Oh?” Seulgi watches as her favorite snack moves further and further away from her.

 

“For the last two years of high school, this mysterious person would always leave Pringles on my desk. It’s not every day but it somehow always appears when I needed it the most. Almost like I had a guardian angel.”  Joohyun strolls back to the couch with a cup of coffee in hand.

 

“Ha. Ha. And you don’t know who it is?” Seulgi tries to hide the nervousness that is threatening to expose her secret.

 

“Nope!” Joohyun settles herself back onto Seulgi’s lap despite the extra space on the couch. “I thought it was Wendy at first. But she strongly denied it. All the other people I suspected told me it wasn’t them either.” Joohyun shrugs it off nonchalantly.

 

She had wanted to identify her guardian angel and express her gratitude. But a part of her also wanted to let the identity remain hidden. A thrilling secret to imagine who this person might be. Who this person might look like. And guessing whether a new flavor of Pringles will sit quietly on her desk with another silly drawing that day or not.

 

This mysterious person had wedged herself into Joohyun’s life and supported her without asking for anything in return. That gesture had touched her dearly in high school. And still does to this day.

 

“Can it be…? Is it…” Joohyun eyes Seulgi suspiciously while Seulgi is trying to look everywhere and anywhere but at the sharp gaze of her wife.

 

“But you like your Pringles too much to share it without anyone.” Joohyun reasons out loud to herself. She has seen how protective Seulgi can be with her precious snacks.

 

“And you have no idea how hard it was to forgo those Pringles!” Seulgi thinks to herself while laughing at Joohyun’s reasoning.

 

But you looked so happy eating them and that image was more addicting than any Pringles in the world.     

 

“I love you so much Hyun-ah.” Seulgi turns to face her wife, who is spacing out like she’s trying to conjure up lost memories.

 

“I love you too.” Joohyun faces Seulgi with a shy smile. She leans in slowly to give Seulgi a tender kiss on the lips.

 

On Joohyun’s lips, Seulgi tastes the saltiness of the Pringles. Her two favorite things in the world, Joohyun and Pringles, all in one kiss. Seulgi smiles into the kiss.

 

Not a bad Sunday morning to wake up to. And many more of such to come.


A/N: Last chapter I had mentioned that if I come back, I probably would write a prolougue for this story. Well...this was sitting in draft for the longest time. 

There has always been kind comments for this story but when this story got featured, a lot more commented their congratulations and gave kind opinions on the story. Thanks so much! All those comments really encouraged me to finish up this prologue. hahah 

What started out as prolouge kinda became a pro-epilouge though. Small glimpse into Seulrene's marriage life. hahah. Hope you guys enjoy. That's that for this story.