we are together

High School Sweetheart

“Irene! Irene! Hottie in your 6 o’clock direction!” Joohyun, whose back is against the entrance, is tapped continuously on the shoulder by her overly excited co-worker.

 

“Okay, okay. Calm down Eunji.” Joohyun swats the hand away and turns around just to satisfy her co-worker’s excitement.

 

One look and she can understand what all that commotion was about.

 

Seulgi had just pulled up to the parking lot on her black and green Kawasaki Ninja H2R bike looking effortlessly chic as she takes off her helmet and let her hair sways back and forth.

Joohyun eyes trail the figure as she walks toward the entrance of the coffee shop with her helmet under her arm and her leather jacket drapes over her shoulders like she had just walked out of a Harley-Davidson photoshoot.

 

“I call dibs on this one!” Eunji claims out loud for all, her co-workers and the customers gawking, to hear. Her playful, child-like demeanor makes everyone smiles at her encouragingly. Everyone except for one.   

 

“Hi cutie. What can I get for you?” Eunji asks flirtatiously as Seulgi steps up to the counter. So fast that Joohyun didn’t even get a chance to warn or stop her.  

 

For such a successful businesswoman, Seulgi can as dense as a rock with the attention she receives. “Black coffee, please.” Oblivious to the obvious flirt, Seulgi replies without even sparing Eunji a glance. Her attention is on her girlfriend and her girlfriend only.

 

Girlfriend~ Seulgi smiles sweetly. The word still sends a wave of bliss over Seulgi’s heart even after months of being official.

 

“Hi, Hyun~”

 

Gone is the cool and chic Seulgi on her badass motorcycle. Standing in front of them now is a cute adorable girlfriend with a bear-like smile as her eyes disappear under the curves of her lids.

 

“Seulgi-ah. What are you doing here? I thought you were busy with the Givenchy’s contract?”

 

“Sooyoung can handle it. I wanted to see how you’re doing at your new job. And it’s been three days since I last saw you!” I miss you. Joohyun can literally hear the whines in her girlfriend’s voice.

 

She chuckles at the hidden pout and beckons Seulgi to sit down while she finishes up her work and calls it done for the day.

 

“Uh-um. You guys…know each other...?” Eunji’s voice brings Joohyun back to what had just transpired.

 

“My girlfriend. I already got dibs on this one.” Joohyun answers playfully but at the same time, Eunji can hear the underlying warning in the answer. She’s mine.

 

Eunji makes a hasty effort to black out her phone number on the cup with a sharpie before throwing Irene a nervous chuckle.

 

Heh. There goes my plan to flirt with the new girl too.

--

“Ready?” Joohyun comes out of the kitchen after her shift ended.

Seulgi looks up at her girlfriend with hearts shooting out of her eyes. Even though Joohyun is just wearing a casual T-shirt over jeans, to her, Joohyun will always look prettiest in her eyes.

 

“Yea. Let’s go.” Seulgi naturally takes Joohyun’s hand into hers (unlike that awkward initial skinship) and leads her to where her bike is parked.

 

She hands a matching helmet to a frightened-looking Joohyun and gives her an apologetic smile. “Sorry, I know you don’t like the bike but it was the only thing I can ride if I wanted to escape from Sooyoung’s wrath.” And, maybe, having Joohyun wraps her arms around her waists is a plus too. But Seulgi will just keep that little plus to herself!

 

“It’s okay.” Joohyun struggles to put the helmet on. Seulgi retrieves the helmet and gently slip it onto her head.

 

She hops on to her bike and turns on the engine. The beast roars like the king of the jungle and Joohyun jumps a little at the noise. Reluctantly, Joohyun gets on the motorcycle and wraps her arms tightly around Seulgi’s waist. Just like how Seulgi wanted.

 

Once she confirmed that Joohyun is ready and secured, she twists the throttle and the bike jerks a little. She can feel Joohyun’s arms tighten even more around her waists. A small smile slowly creeps onto Seulgi’s face as she takes off to their destination.

--

“Hi, how can we help you today?” Seulgi and Joohyun are greeted by an overly-friendly attendant the minute they step foot into one of Beverly Hill’s finest shops.

 

“We’re looking for an evening gown for my girlfriend here.” Seulgi expresses their purpose with a proud smile. Proud to call Joohyun her girlfriend. “We kind of have a birthday party to attend tonight.” She adds. Letting the attendant know that they are in a hurry.

 

They were supposed to shop for an outfit days ago but with Joohyun’s school and work and the Givenchy’s contract, it kind of slipped their mind that Taeyeon’s birthday party was tonight. 

 

With such a last-minute shuffling, Seulgi figures it’s best to go to a shop she frequents for both hers and Joohyun’s outfit for the night.

 

Seulgi’s fashion is easy though. It didn’t take long for her to settle on a set of Giorgio Armani woman’s suits that is practically tailored for her body. The open-front-collarless blazer hugs her snuggly around the waist and accentuates her curves while the pantsuits are fitted at the right length and cut.

 

Joohyun, on the other hand, needs more time to decide on an evening cocktail dress that matches her style. Of the few that Seulgi thought looked perfect on her, Joohyun rejected them citing that the price is too much for an evening wear.

 

“No. I don’t want to pay $3000 for a dress that will probably sit in my closet for the rest of my life.”

 

“Who said anything about you paying? You’re my guest to this party!”

 

“Seulgi,” Joohyun said the name tiredly. They have been through this way too often. Seulgi always jumps in to foot the bill for all their dates and outings. Joohyun does appreciate the gesture, especially with her meager wages that barely pay for books and school supplies, she really can’t afford the kind of dates that they have been to. Heck, she doubts that she can afford any date at all!

 

But she wants to contribute to the relationship too, as much as she can. That’s one of the reasons why she was so adamant about working part-time at the coffee shop even if that takes time away from her studies. If she can’t afford the expensive dates, she can at least try to pay for the cheaper dinner dates that they usually go to. Food trucks, late night snacks, ordered in pizzas, she can afford those at least.

 

Joohyun was determined to pay for her own dress for this evening too, but Seulgi just had to take them to some high-end shops that she would never step foot in.

 

“I was invited as much as you are. If anything, you are actually my plus one!” Joohyun smiles teasingly. Not wanting to ruin their evening with an argument.

 

And it’s true, the invitation was actually sent to Joohyun instead of Seulgi. Taeyeon even did the honor of putting Seulgi’s name as her plus one and noted that it is optional “if she behaves.”

 

Seulgi’s face turned so red when Joohyun showed her the invitation. And it has been an ongoing joke between them, more so for Joohyun, to not bring Seulgi to the party if she misbehaves.

 

Seulgi pouts at the tease and that just causes Joohyun to laugh out loud at the sight.

 

With the threat of the invitation in hand, Seulgi eventually compromises to let Joohyun try out a few cheaper dresses off the clearance rack, or the ‘off-season’ rack, as they call it. But she stills insist on paying for it.  

 

The attendance shoves a few dresses for Joohyun to try on as Seulgi waits patiently on the couch that is usually reserved for grooms-to-be.

 

When Joohyun opens the curtain and steps out in a knee-length white dress, Seulgi’s jaw literally drops at the sight. She looks surreal. So this is what the grooms must have felt when they first lay eyes on their future wife in a bridal grown.

 

Joohyun is beautiful but the white dress accentuates her beauty even further. The design of the gown is simple and bare but accompanying the humble elegance that Joohyun carries, the two complements each like two halves to a whole.   

 

“You’re beautiful” Seulgi finally lets go of the words that have been running through her mind the minute Joohyun stepped out. “Let’s go with this one.” Seulgi is adamant about the choice even though there are a few more dresses for Joohyun to try on.

 

Joohyun smiles adoringly seeing how smitten Seulgi is. It is nice to be admired by one own girlfriend. She knows that Seulgi loves her. The girl had repeated herself so many times to even convert a non-believer. But to see a compliment displayed not through words but through a gaze is just much more believable.

 

Seulgi’s eyes are glued to her and her only. The woman didn’t even spare the attendance a glance when she paid for both her suits and Joohyun’s dress.

 

Like Seulgi, Joohyun should have kept her gaze on her girlfriend and girlfriend only, but she made the mistake of casting a glance at the attendance and the look of her face made Joohyun tilt her head slightly downward in shame. Even though the attendance still smiles politely, Joohyun interprets the jealousy in her eyes as judging. Shaming her for leeching off of other’s wealth.

 

Joohyun pushes Seulgi out of the store in haste before her thoughts water this negative sapling any further.

--

When the couple shows up at Taeyeon’s house, where the party is held, Joohyun is mesmerized by the size of the mansion. She knows that Seulgi and her group of friends are rich but this rich!?

 

She is so used to Seulgi’s modest studio that it didn’t occur to her that this ‘birthday party at Taeyeon’s house’ is going to be like a gala at a mansion. There are more than a hundred of people roaming the property with drinks in hand. A few are mingling with one another. A few are lounging around the various opened rooms. And a few more are playing in the full-sized pool in the back of the house.

 

When they pulled up, the valets were already on standby to assist them. As they walk around the place to look for the hosts of the party, a few of Seulgi’s acquaintances approach her with an agenda in mind.

 

“Kang-nim. How are you?” “Seulgi-shi, long time no see.” Greetings are thrown out like they are long lost friends. Though Seulgi can’t even recall some of their names.

 

Business is business though. Seulgi throws them one of her friendlier smiles and returns the greeting with ease.

 

“And who might this be?” One guy finally took notice of Joohyun, who has her arm linked to Seulgi’s.

 

“This is Joohyun. My girlfriend.” The guy flashes a hint of disappointment to know that the designer and founder of Kang Design is already taken.

 

“Hi, Joohyun-shi. Pleasure to meet you.” He recovers quickly and introduces himself with a business card in hand.

 

Joohyun takes the business card awkwardly with nothing to give in return.

 

There’s nothing to offer. She is a student. She is a barista at a coffee shop. She has nothing to offer.    

 

And when it was clear that she wasn’t going to offer him a business card in return, he asks innocently, “And what do you do Joohyun-shi? Are you in the same field as Seulgi-shi?”

 

“She’s currently in school,” Seulgi answers vaguely in her stead when Seulgi senses her hesitant. Seulgi always does whenever she is caught in these uncomfortable situations.

 

A part of her is thankful because she finds it difficult to explain that she is still trying to get her bachelor’s degree while her girlfriend is already a successful businesswoman. She feels self-conscious.

 

But another part of her is unsure how to feel with the way Seulgi response so vaguely, almost like intentionally to mislead others to assume that she is pursuing higher education.

 

For Seulgi, she only wanted to protect Joohyun. Seulgi has seen those condescending gazes that people had cast at Joohyun when she said that she is majoring in pre-law. The looks that would make Joohyun shrinks a little smaller next to Seulgi. The looks that would make Seulgi want to glare at them and shout, how is it any of their business? Who are they to judge Joohyun’s worth?   

Instead of making a scene, she thought she was doing Joohyun a favor by cutting off the conversation and walking away. Why should they deal with people who can’t respect Joohyun for who she is?

 

But the more Seulgi doesn’t talk about it, the more unsure Joohyun feels. Is Seulgi embarrassed to introduce her as a girlfriend? Does she not want her colleagues to know that her 28-year-old girlfriend is barely trying to finish her undergrad?  

 

These thoughts consume her as Seulgi leads her away from the crowd and toward the hosts of the party

 

Joohyun’s frown quickly turns into a smile as the distance between them and the couple becomes closer. 

 

“Taeyeon-unnie! Happy birthday! How old are you now? 12? 13?” Seulgi yells out loud once they are near, making sure that everyone around can hear. Teasing the kid-like feature and short stature of her unnie.

 

“Bah!  I didn’t think I would see you here.” The birthday girl cackles at her own joke. A little too loud due to the number of alcoholic beverages that she has had. The kid-like unnie acknowledges Seulgi’s presence without answering her question. “I see Joohyun decided to bring you along after all.”

 

 “Was she well-behaved? Is that why she gets to come tonight?” Taeyeon looks pass Seulgi to face Joohyun when she asks. And Joohyun nods teasingly.

 

They both laugh out loud at the pouting young designer. If only those business people can see this Seulgi now.

 

“Now, now. Be nice.” Jessica finally chimes in to console the pouting bear before pulling the couple into a hug. “I’m glad you both can make it tonight.”

 

“It’s nice to see you both again. This party turns out to be much grander than I thought.” Joohyun replies honestly.

 

Jessica keeps mum because she knows Taeyeon will have something to say about that statement.

 

Lo and behold.

 

“Right!?” Taeyeon yells over the music. “When she asks what I want for my birthday. I was being polite by saying ‘anything’.” Taeyeon looks at the young couple expectantly as she tries to explain her frustration.

 

“A or a striptease would have been nice, you know?” She didn’t wait for them to respond before continuing.

 

“But here I am, wasting the night away with people that I won’t even remember tomorrow when I can be cuddled in bed right now.” Taeyeon throws her hand up in frustration. She’s been trying to convince Jessica to cancel the party for weeks now but her stubborn CEO girlfriend just won’t budge.

 

Jessica rolls her eyes at the childish complaint. She had asked and Taeyeon had said anything. So her idea of anything is a grand party. If the shorty wanted something specific, she should have stated that from the beginning! She was not going to revoke her invitations to hundreds just because her girlfriend was being unclear!

 

Still. Today is her birthday. “Honey. I will cuddle with you all you want afterward. Now stop being a baby and just enjoy.”

 

Taeyeon’s smile widens at the offer. She really is like a child. Sulky one minute when things don’t go her way and happy the next at the smallest offer. She’s adorable and that’s what Jessica loves about her. She wears her emotion on her sleeve unlike those business clients that she must deal with daily.

--

 

While the four ladies are talking and laughing, another commotion is made at the entrance of the house as Sooyoung arrives at the party with a date in tow.

 

It’s not like Sooyoung doesn’t show up with dates, in fact, she does, all the time. But it is a little different this time.

 

It is one thing to see Sooyoung waddles in with a dazzling smile like she has just won the lottery, but to be so intimate with her partner that it practically gives off the ‘Don’t bother. I’m taken’ vibe is another thing.

 

Men and women around can’t help but stare at the couple with a disappointed expression as they sigh inwardly. Guess Park Sooyoung is off the market too.  

 

They can be disappointed all they want and Sooyoung wouldn’t even notice. Her attention is solely on her partner tonight. In fact, it has been so for the past months.

 

“Don’t forget. I won the last round. So I’m in charge tonight!” Sooyoung whispers into Wendy’s ear as she pulls her partner closer to her. Closing the nonexistence gap that separates them as they walk toward the house.

 

As much as Wendy wants to resist, she doesn’t. It is agreed upon that whoever wins will be the one in charge for the next date.  It has been that way since their first ‘date.’

 

And by winning, these two have been competing against each other with anything and everything possible. 

 

From the first person to call it quit when swimming with the sharks to the person who can hold their scream the longest while bungee jumping to something as ridiculous as who can get out of receiving a speeding ticket from the cops faster.  

 

Sooyoung has always enjoyed extreme sports. She had tried convincing her dates to try some of these stunts with her, but they were always too terrified to agree. (Heck, she even tried to convince Seulgi to try them with Joohyun initially. Luckily, Seulgi knew better.) And the ones that did, they quickly realize it was too much. That dating the CEO of Kang Design is not going to be like the romantic drama that they had imagined. 

 

But Wendy is different. She is daring, beautiful, carefree, open-minded, funny, spontaneous, and just …Wendy. Sooyoung has never met anyone like so. While most girls only wanted to do the normal mundane dating schema, Wendy actually embraces her crazy dates and even suggests some of the wild stuff they do.

 

The one to suggest speeding at 100 miles per hour while weaving in and out of lanes to catch the cops’ attention? All Wendy!

 

Sooyoung has never had so much fun, so many surprises dating someone before. Time seems to speed up every time they meet up because next thing she knows, they had to part already.

 

Seeing each other only once a month slowly became once a week to 2/3 times a week. And Sooyoung finds herself thinking about Wendy, a lot, when they are not together.

 

She’s not sure how to label this feeling yet but she knows that her heart thumps fast every time Wendy is around, faster than any extreme sport can offer, and Sooyoung is always one to follow her heart. And as long as Wendy continues to be the cause of the erratically beating of her heart, Sooyoung will listen.

 

She glances over to look lovingly at Wendy. If only she can see herself right now because the word ‘love’ is literally written all over her face to anyone else reading it.  

 

“See those two women over by the pool table?” Wendy finally speaks up when they stepped into one of the game rooms. There are multiple such rooms in this house since Taeyeon is an avid gamer.

 

Sooyoung nods in response, already anticipating where Wendy is going with this. She looks at the women that Wendy motioned at with her head.

 

Both tall and gorgeous ladies. One in a black cocktail dress that highlights her tan skin and the other in a short tan dress that goes well with her doe-eyes and petite feature.

 

“You and I pick one. The first to get a kiss on the cheek wins.” Wendy lays out the condition of the bet this time.

 

“You’re on!” Sooyoung smirks confidently. If only she knew...

 

Sooyoung gives Wendy a chance to go first and so Wendy strides over the pool table with her hips swaying from side to side. She takes her phone out to time the process, but she knows deep down that Wendy will probably not get her kiss. She smirks confidently at the thought of another victory.

 

Sooyoung watches as Wendy approaches the two women, gives them both a handshake and attempts to make small talks with the tan woman that she picked.

 

Sooyoung is not sure what Wendy is saying but it sure didn’t take long for the three women to talk and laugh with one another like they are good old friends.

 

Kwon Yuri!! You cheater! Sooyoung yells as the tan woman gentle places her hand on Wendy’s exposed back and leans over to give Wendy a peck on the cheek.

 

What the heck!? Im Yoona, you too!? Sooyoung cusses as she watches the doe-eyed woman does the same to Wendy but on the other cheek.

 

6 minutes and 45 seconds. Sooyoung stops the timer. But Wendy remains with the group for a few more minutes before returning to Sooyoung’s side with her own smirk. The two red lip marks glow irritatingly on her cheeks as she walks back with a victorious grin on her face.

 

Sooyoung’s blood boils with anger, not because Wendy won, but at the fact that someone else touched those cheeks beside her. Two people at that!

 

“Your turn!” Wendy finally returns to Sooyoung’s side. She expected Sooyoung to make some snide remarks about beating her record in no time.

 

But nothing was said. Sooyoung pulls her into a deep passionate kiss. Her thumbs rubbing her cheeks harshly yet gently at the same time like she’s trying to rub off some stain. Wendy returns the kiss with her own fervor.

 

Sooyoung breaks off and, without saying anything, walks over to where the same two women are. Except, instead of being flirtatious, her shoulders look tense and her fists clenched.

 

“Unnies! What the hell was that!?” Sooyoung makes no attempt to hide her anger.

 

“Ho! Looks like our Sooyoungie is angry that we made a pass at her adorable girlfriend.”  Yuri turns to face Yoona and gives her a high five.  

 

“You-you know and you still?” Sooyoung questions without stating the obvious. She wants to correct that they are not officially together. Yet. But, at the same time, she welcomes their misinterpretation.

 

Yuri and Yoona laugh at the obvious jealousy that their dongsaeng is displaying. “Taeng told us all about your little games with your girlfriend.” Yoona starts explaining.

 

“So, when she approached us, we knew you guys had another bet going on.” Yuri finishes.  

 

“She is such a cutie! We were going to give her a kiss on the lips too in case that was what the bet was about. But we still value our life.” Yoona chuckles innocently with a mischievous glint in her eyes.

 

Sooyoung’s blood boils even more at the mere thought of these two devils kissing Wendy on the lips. That gossip-loving ahjumma is going to get it! She curses inside her head.

 

It took her minutes to calm her nerves and remembers the bets on hand. “Me too then.” She motions her cheek towards Yoona for a kiss.

 

 “Nuh-uh!” Yoona chuckles even more at her antics but denies her request. “We’re on Wendy’s side for this one.”

 

Sooyoung gives her an incredulous look. She turns to look at the tan woman beside Yoona for help. Yuri just returns her plead with a grin that says I’m with my girlfriend on this one.

 

The CEO can’t help but throw her hands in the air and walks back to her date looking like a sulky kid that was denied her favorite toy.

 

“Come here, you big kid!” Wendy opens her arms to comfort the CEO while chuckling at the pout that painted her face. “At least tonight is still your night!” She whispers into Sooyoung’s ear seductively.

 

Sooyoung pulls Wendy in tighter at the reminder. She grins victoriously at the thought. Yup! Tonight is her night!
 

With that, the couple walks away to look for the hosts of the party, but not before Sooyoung gives another glare at the previous couple who are watching closely with a taunting look on their face.

--

Joohyun leaves her class minutes after walking in. It’s one of those rare days where class was canceled last minute. With the sudden free time on her schedule, Joohyun decides to surprise Seulgi with a lunch date.

 

She grins at the idea.

 

She bought kimbaps, teokkbokki, and some Jokbal from Seulgi’s favorite food stall and took the bus to Kang Design with bags of yummy smelling food in hands.

 

“Good afternoon, Miss. Bae.” The guards at Kang Design recognize her immediately from the few occasions that she has been here with Seulgi. They all know who she is even without the proper instruction just based on the lovestruck face that their founder makes every time the woman is around.

 

“Kang-nim is in a meeting right now. Would you like me to notify her of your arrival?” One guard offers. Joohyun shakes her head in decline. She knows how busy Seulgi has been lately with the increase in projects.

 

“I’ll just wait in her office.” Even though she knows her way there, she still let the guards lead her toward the elevator that is reserved for executives only.

 

Joohyun settles the food down onto the table and rests comfortably on the black leather couch. 10 minutes later, she starts to get bored with nothing to do. She walks around the office taking in the various certificates and awards that Seulgi framed on her wall.

 

Interior Design of the Year, 2015, Most Innovative Design, 2016, Deck and Design, 1st place. Forbes 30 under 30 Most Successful Entrepreneur.

 

Joohyun smiles proudly at her girlfriend’s accomplishments.

 

She eventually settles onto the office chair behind Seulgi’s giant L-shape desk and imagines the power one must hold with an office and desk of this caliber. She can’t help but feel self-conscious once again as she compares her current position to that of her girlfriend’s.

 

Joohyun pushes away all these self-deprecating thoughts and focuses on the one framed picture on Seulgi’s desk. It’s a picture that they had taken on their 1-month anniversary when Seulgi surprised her with a snowboarding trip to Big Bear. They were in the cabin, huddled around a fireplace when Seulgi mustered up the courage to pull Joohyun into an innocent kiss. The young designer had gotten so embarrassed afterward that her face flushed bright pink. Joohyun by snapping a picture of them together at that time.  

 

Joohyun smiles loving at the photo. What was supposed to be a playful tease turned into one of their most precious captured memories.

 

She lets her eyes to wander around the desk briefly until a letter with the blue and gold emblem from UCLA catches her eyes.

 

Her curiosity got the best out of her. Why would UCLA mail Seulgi a letter? She knows for a fact that Kang Design doesn’t have business with UCLA or the UC system.

 

She pulls out the white 8x11 tri-folded paper and reads the first line.

 

Dear Miss. Kang,

 

Thank you for your donation of $20,000 toward the Blue and Gold Opportunity Scholarship.

 

Joohyun cannot even finish the rest of the letter when her vision blurred by the tears that threatened to spill out of her eyes. The Blue and Gold Opportunity Scholarship. That’s her scholarship! That’s the support she’s been receiving to fund her college tuition at the moment.

 

She doesn’t want to think about it but her mind can’t help but jump to the conclusion at the implication of the letter. Disbelief, anger, hurt, and betrayal cloud her mind.  

 

So, has it all been a lie? Her one pride of supporting her own education with her own effort, has it all been Seulgi all along? Was her admission into UCLA also Seulgi?

 

The walls came crashing down on her like a shattered bottle and her legs buckle as she slumps onto the chair. All this time, she was able to stand tall next to Seulgi because she thought that she was at least moving forward. Moving up the ladder.

 

She can ignore all the looks that people cast at her, telling her that she’s not worthy of standing next to the founder of Kang Design, the awarding-winning designer, because she can at least prove to them, to herself, that she had gotten into UCLA and will graduate top of her class with her own ability.

 

But what now? It was all a lie!! Have her grades been a lie too? Did Seulgi pay the professors to give her all the A’s that she has gotten so far? Would she have gotten this far without Seulgi’s support?

 

All these doubts start flooding her mind as more and more tears spill out her eyes. Joohyun can feel herself falling down this endless spiral of self-doubts and she hates it. She hates herself for it.  

 

This might seem like a no-big-deal for most for Joohyun, who has been trying so hard to adapt to the changes that have happened in her life since the death of her father, this revelation is like the tugging on a loose thread that threatens to unravel all the insecurities, distrusts, self-doubts, and pretense that she had so neatly knotted. One tug and the thread will come undone leaving nothing but a pile of tangled up string and a piece of torn cloth.

 

She clutches onto the piece of paper for dear life as she wills herself to stop falling. To stop thinking. But the more she tries, the more these thoughts plague her. The memories of her past, the derogatory stares of her past-friends, those rejections letters, they all surface like the unwanted trash washed ashore.

 

I need to get out of here. I need to leave before Seulgi sees me like this. Joohyun attempts to get up and make a dash for the door but it was like all energy has been sapped out of her. Her legs buckled further, and she falls to the floor.

 

 The tears continue to leak out endlessly and her breathing becomes ragged. She gasps for air but no matter how wide she opens , there’s just not enough air to fill her lungs.

 

She should have known. Things have never gone her way before, not when her father passed away and definitely not now when Seulgi opens the door to see her pathetic-self sobbing on the floor.

 

She sees Seulgi approaching her with a worried expression but that’s exactly that last thing she needs right now. To see Seulgi worry. To see Seulgi pity her.

 

“Don’t touch me!” Joohyun snaps when Seulgi reaches out to help her up. Seulgi’s hand pausing awkwardly midway, afraid to hurt the fragile girl in front.

 

Seulgi had been more than happy when someone let it slip that Joohyun is here to visit her. She had walked back to her office with hasty steps and a bounce but the scene she had imagined was not the same scene the welcomed her.

 

“W-what happened?” Seulgi asks with shaky breaths. Her eyes land on the white envelope in Joohyun’s hand and the blue and gold emblem peeking out like a taunt. Her eyes widen at the realization.

 

“H-hyun-” Before Seulgi can put another word in, Joohyun has already dashes pass her and out the door.

 

Joohyun can’t face Seulgi right now. She is not ready to hear the answer. What if Seulgi tells her that all she has been is a charity work? A thank-you gift? Then what?

 

Joohyun runs with all her might, leaving the stunned young designer behind. Leaving Kang Design behind. Leaving all those thoughts behind. 

 

It took Seulgi seconds to realize what just happened but by the time she recollects herself and runs after Joohyun, the girl is already gone. Joohyun is gone.

--

Seulgi frantically reaches out to anybody and everybody she can to help locate Joohyun’s whereabouts. Sooyoung, Wendy, Taeyeon, Jessica, Soojung, and all her close friends jumped in to help but no one has any idea where Joohyun is or could have gone.

 

Seulgi keeps calling and texting but the phone just rings and rings with no indication that the person on the other line is picking up.

 

It wasn’t until later at night when Seulgi received a text from Sooyoung saying that a worker from one of the clubs she owned might have seen a girl looking like Joohyun. “Hurry. She might be drunk. Wendy and I are also on our way.”

 

Seulgi is even more worried after seeing the word ‘drunk’ from Sooyoung’s text. She leaves for the club the minute she received the name and address of the place.

 

Seulgi reaches the entrance of the club and is greeted by a bouncer guarding the place.

 

“Name?” The bouncer asks automatically without even look up from his list.

 

“Kang Seulgi.”

 

The name catches his attention and when he looks up, what greets him is the beautiful but anxious looking face of his boss’ best friend.

 

“Seulgi-shi! Come on in!” He lets her through immediately despite the protest of the people who were still held up outside. Hah. Their silly protest is better than the wrath of his angry boss.

 

The smell of alcohol engulfs her the minute she enters. She scans the area for anyone resembling her girlfriend. But the loud music blasting through the high-tech speakers surrounding the club and the laser lights flashing at different angles and in different colors to ‘liven’ up the atmosphere make it hard to focus.

 

Seulgi squeezes through crowds of people laughing and grooving along to the music, stops several hands trying to invade her personal space (not like there’s much on the dance floor), and ignores the intoxicated individuals that feel brave enough to approach her.

 

She prays that Joohyun is here but at the same, she prays that Joohyun is not here.

 

Seulgi is not sure if her prayer has been answered or not when she sees the short petite girl in one of the booths, surrounded by people hollering at her as she down shots after shots.

 

Seulgi’s worries were replaced with anger when a guy puts his hand on Joohyun’s waist. With 3 large strides, she rushes over to where the drunk girl is and pulls her to one side.

 

“Hyun! Let’s go! Let me get you home.” Seulgi yells over the music but her voice is still somehow controlled enough to not sound angry.

 

“Seulgi!” Joohyun gives her a wobbly hug and lets out a giggle. “Here! Take a shot!” She lifts the cup up to Seulgi’s mouth, spilling a little on the way.

 

Seulgi grabs the drink and puts in on the table. She grabs Joohyun by the shoulder and attempts to lead her out.

 

But Joohyun resists. “It is not enough that you control my future. You want to control where I go too?” Her tone is sarcastic and her words are harsh and piercing. Every word coming out is like a needle stabbing Seulgi in the heart.

 

 

Seulgi knows that this is the alcohol talking. She will explain herself when Joohyun sobers up and is ready to listen. She tries once again to lead her drunken girlfriend away from this intoxicated place.

 

The thing that stops her now is not just Joohyun’s resistance but also the ‘friends’ that she is with.

 

“Hey, hey. She obviously doesn’t want to go with you~”He puts his arm back on Joohyun’s waist while his words slur together making it difficult to pick out under the booming base of the music.

 

Seulgi doesn’t care. She just wanted to get out of here and get Joohyun out of here. She pushes the guy slightly away and grabs Joohyun by the wrist. She leads her outside despite her protest.

 

Once they’re finally outside, Joohyun flings off Seulgi’s arm with a force that she didn’t know she has. “What do you want?” her voice came out more menacing than she intended.

 

“I’m sorry, Hyun…” Seulgi wants to apologize but she was cut off before she can explain.

 

“For what?” Joohyun chuckles bitterly. “For giving me money? For supporting my education? For seeing what a failure I am as a person?” Joohyun spits out venomous questions one after another without even giving Seulgi a chance to explain.

 

Joohyun sees the hurt on Seulgi’s face and holds her tongue. At least she was sober enough for that. Even in her drunk stage, she cannot bear to see Seulgi hurt like that.

 

It’s not fair to take it out on her sweet and innocent and lovely and supportive girlfriend. But she still wants to ask her final question. Her insecurity would not let her be if she doesn’t know the answer. Her heart quivers as she lets the question slip out of while she still has the courage from the alcohol to do so.

 

“Please be honest with me, have I just been a charity work for you, Seulgi?” Joohyun’s voice came out so soft and fragile. One word from Seulgi and she knows that her wall is going to break again. One word from Seulgi and she feels like her heart will truly shatter beyond repair this time.

 

“No! Of course not!” Seulgi’s eyes widen in horror. She has no idea where this is coming from. She thought that Joohyun was just angry that she had kept the source of the scholarship hidden from her but charity work? What?

 

“Please don’t lie to me,” Joohyun begs as tears stream down her face. And here she thought that there were no more tears left in her. “If this was just a thank-you gift for whatever high school was…”  Her voice trails off as her mind shuts down the possibility that this was all that was. That they were all that was. Her heart is just so tired already.

 

“No! Why would you say that? You know I love you, Joohyun!” Seulgi grabs her by the arms and pulls her into a tight embrace. She doesn’t know what else to say but ‘I love you’ to convey how much she loves her. She hopes that the hug can convey half of what she is feeling for the girl.

 

“Then…why? Why did you do it?” Joohyun questions her desperately. She wants to know. “Did…did you think that I wasn’t going to be able to do it on my own? W-were you embarrassed that your girlfriend doesn’t have a degree?” Joohyun lets all the insecurities that she’s been holding in spill out like a flood breaking through a dam.

 

She doesn’t want to be seen as weak in front of anyone. Especially not Seulgi. But she is just so tired. Physically and mentally.

 

She has steeled herself to be the strong pillar for her mother and for her brothers, she has put up this pretense to be fine in front of Wendy and in front of society who casts their judgmental gazes at people.

 

If it had been anyone else, she could have just called it quit and shrugs it off as another failed relationship, but it hasn’t been just anyone else. It’s Seulgi. The girl who she had wholeheartedly welcomed into her life. The girl who she trusts and relies on.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me about it!” She raises her voice and clenches her fists as she throws light punches onto Seulgi’s chest. “Why did you lie? How can I face you now knowing that I’m not good enough? H-how can I be with you?” Joohyun sobs into Seulgi’s chest.

 

Seulgi kept mum as Joohyun spills out all her worries and frustrations. Joohyun needed this. She needs to do this. Seulgi pats her back gently and encouragingly as Joohyun speaks.

 

“I-I thought…once I graduate and find a stable job, I know, I can’t catch up, but I-I thought, I would be able to close the gap at least.” Joohyun’s words become almost muffled as she talks through the sobs. “But then I find out that it’s all been a lie.” Joohyun’s voice softly fades out into a lull.

 

“I’m so, so, sorry Hyun…” Seulgi’s voice softens at the realization. She apologizes, not as an agreement to Joohyun’s confession. She apologizes for not noticing this sooner. She apologizes for not seeing the pain and hurt that Joohyun has been feeling.

 

She has been so happy and at bliss that the girl she loves has finally accepted her that all she wanted was to show the world how lucky she is. But she did not realize…she has no idea…

 

Seulgi picks Joohyun up and carries her home once Joohyun passed out in Seulgi’s embrace.

As she sets Joohyun onto the bed and stares at the serene looks on Joohyun’s face, Seulgi wipes away the tears that she finally let out and promises to shower Joohyun with unconditional love so that she will never doubt it again, to be the support and encouragement Joohyun needs so that she will never belittle herself ever again.

--

 

Joohyun’s head feels like weighted lead when she wakes up the next morning. Her vision swirls as she tries to find clues from her current location to piece together the events from last night.

 

She vaguely remembers running and running before settling at some bar. She drank for the first time in a while to numb the ache in her heart. There was music. There was noise. And there were a lot of people.

 

Through the jumbled-up pieces of her memory, she sees Seulgi. Seulgi had found her.

 

She gazes around the room and sees the familiar simplistic design of the room that she has slept over so many times.

 

She grabs her phone from the nightstand to check the time and was shocked to see the number of missed calls and new text messages that bombarded her phone. Seulgi’s name dominated a majority of those but aside from Seulgi, Wendy, Sooyoung, Taeyeon, Jessica also sent concerns messages asking for her whereabouts.

 

Joohyun can’t help but feels embarrassed at the troubles and worries she caused yesterday but at the same time, her eyes glisten as her heart warms from all the concerns that her friends have shown her. Good, genuine friends who care for her and are willing to reach out to her.  

 

Joohyun glances up as the door creaks open to reveal the most worried one of all.

 

Seulgi tiptoes toward the bed with a bowl of porridge in hand, ready to serve her hung-over girlfriend.

 

“Hyun, are you okay?” Her voice is soft and careful. Her volume is controlled to not induce any more pain that her girlfriend is probably currently feeling.

 

“Y-yea.” Joohyun casts her eyes downward, too embarrassed to look at Seulgi in the eyes. She may not remember everything that happened last night, but she does remember lashing out at Seulgi. “Seulgi-ah, I-I’m sorry…for last night.”

 

“No. I should be the one saying sorry.” Seulgi puts the bowl down and takes Joohyun by the cheeks so that they can see eye-to-eye.

 

Joohyun attempts to shake her head in protest but that only cause her already spinning mind to spin even more aggressively and she winces at the pain.

 

Seulgi stops her movement and stops her from trying to apologize again when she cuts Joohyun off to continue.

 

“Hyun-ah. I’m sorry I didn’t consider how you might have felt. I love you so much. For so long. And when you accepted me, I was just so happy that I wanted to show you off to the whole world how lucky I am to have you in my life.” Seulgi’s eyes also glisten with tears but she promises herself that she won’t cry. She will stay strong for Joohyun, Joohyun who has been holding pieces together for her loved ones for far too long. Now she will be that pillar that Joohyun can rely on.

 

“I promise that I never once belittled you or your ability. When I made that donation to the university, I just wanted to open the door for you, to show you that there are ways for you to pursue your dream. Never once did I interfere with their selection of recipients. I knew you would be able to succeed on your own.” She swears upon her company, her artist skills, and even her future with Joohyun that that was never her mindset.

 

Seulgi pulls Joohyun into a tight embrace and buries her face in the nook of Joohyun’s neck. Out of Joohyun’s sight, she finally lets a single tear rolls down her cheek at the thought that Joohyun can think so little of herself when she thought the world of her.

 

“R-really? You mean it?” Joohyun pulls back and looks Seulgi in the eyes. She tries to detect any lies or sympathy in them, but all she sees is love and sincerity, pride and honesty in Seulgi’s moist eyes.

 

“Of course,” Seulgi whispers into Joohyun’s ear firmly like her words are the only truth. “You are the most capable person I have ever met! Society’s expectations are not even worth using to measure how amazing you are.”

 

“Thanks, Seulgi-ah” Joohyun sighs a breath of relief at Seulgi’s words before enveloping herself within Seulgi’s embrace. Within Seulgi’s protective arms and unwavering love.

 

When she pulls away to capture Seulgi’s lips within hers and relay all the unspoken words that she’s too shy to say in that one deep kiss, Seulgi reads her lips like words on a book. I believe you, Seulgi. I trust you. I’ve never doubted you. I…was just doubting myself. Thank you for accepting my flaws. I love you.  

 

Deep within herself, she trusts that Seulgi did not manipulate the scholarship results. She just didn’t trust herself and that letter just happened to be the key that unlocked all her bottled-up anxieties. It will take time to build up her confidence to what it once was, but at least she’s no longer alone on this empty road.  

 

Once all has been said in that one kiss, Joohyun collapses into Seulgi’s embrace and for once, it doesn’t feel like she is carrying the weight of the world of her shoulders. Seulgi is there for her and she will be there whenever Seulgi needs her.

 

They stay like that for a while until Joohyun’s stomach grumbles in protest.

 

“Let’s get some food in there before it makes any more noise.” Seulgi chuckles at the rumbles that echo through the room.

 

“Yah!” Joohyun pushes Seulgi lightly after being called out. Her cheeks flush pink with embarrassment as she hugs her tummy tightly trying to control the grumbles that is just not complying.

 

--

“As Martin Luther King once said, ‘Everybody can be great because anybody can serve. You don’t have to have a college degree to serve. You don’t have to make your subject and verb agree to serve. You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love.’ It is ironic to say this to a graduating class of students getting ready to receive their degree, but it is never the degree that makes a person.” Joohyun’s voice echoes across the stage as she delivers her graduating speech. Her tone is confident and convincing, as expected of a Summa Laude honor student graduating top of her class and personally requested by the Chancellor to deliver the commencement speech.

 

“It is knowledge and experience, kindness and empathy, supports and friendships that help one thrives. As we continue on different yet intersecting paths of our life, let these words ring in your mind: ‘kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless.’” Joohyun pauses for the words to sink in. She glances around at the people sitting below, scanning their face as fond memories of the past 3 years flash through her mind. Her eyes land on the faces of her friends and loved one. Sooyoung, Wendy, Taeyeon, Jessica, Soojung, chef Choi, Yuri, and Yoona all looking back at her with a proud smile on their face.

 

And then there’s Seulgi, the happiest and proudest of the bunch. Looking back with glistening eyes that Joohyun wouldn’t be surprised if she busts out a handkerchief to dramatically dab away the tears.

 

Joohyun keeps her gaze on Seulgi for a second longer, long enough to catch Seulgi mouthing out the words I’m so proud of you, that almost causes her to choke out her own tears.

 

“With that, this chapter in our life now officially closes as a new chapter begins! Congratulation class of 2018! We did it!” Joohyun ends her speech by throwing her cap in the air. The whole sky is raining with black caps and dangling blue and gold tassels as the rest of the student follow.

 

--

At the end of the ceremony, Joohyun roams around the field, dashing through bodies of people hugging their friends and families, scanning through the students wearing the same black gown as her to see if she can find Seulgi and her friends.

 

Her search was disrupted by a phone call from the same person she has been searching.

 

“Honey! Where are you?”

 

“Babe. I’m at the Planetarium right now. Meet me there?” Seulgi ends the call before she can even reply.

 

“He-hello? Seulgi?” All that replies is the disconnected tone of the other line.

 

After a second glance, she realizes that even her friends are nowhere in sight. With no other choice, Joohyun makes her way toward the planetarium across campus.

--

 

On the way to the Planetarium, Joohyun can’t help but smile as she twirls the velvety rectangular box that she has kept hidden inside the pocket of her skirt.

 

It is a surprise that she has planned for Seulgi for months now. After all the ups and downs in their relationship, Joohyun cannot be any surer of herself and her future. Her future with Seulgi.

 

She smiles nostalgically at the memory.

 

It was a struggle when Joohyun first moved into Seulgi’s home.

 

“Babe, can you stop squeezing the toothpaste from the middle?”

 

“Honey, this is not the laundry detergent that I wanted!”

 

“Your shoes are always piling on top of mine!”

 

“Can you not throw your dirty socks everywhere? There’s a basket for that you know!”

 

Differences they didn’t know exists magnify themselves in the first few months of living together. There were built up frustrations at first, but they eventually learned to adjust and perhaps even picking up each other’s habits over time.

 

Seulgi sniffling the sleeve of her newly washed sweater and Joohyun subconsciously munching on Pringles when idle. Seulgi body slamming onto the bed to wake Joohyun up in the morning and Joohyun kicking Seulgi in the to dismiss the alarm.

 

There were times that Joohyun would be too busy for Seulgi.

 

“Hyun-ah, Let’s go on a trip to Jeju island!” Seulgi excitedly suggested for their 1-year anniversary but the idea was quickly declined when Joohyun looked apologetically at her.

“Sorry, Seul. I have a lot of assignments due next week.” Joohyun pouted to apologetically that Seulgi didn’t even have the heart to stay mad.

 

“It’s okay, babe. We can go when you’re less busy.” So Seulgi said but the young designer was sulking in the house the whole day making it hard for Joohyun to concentrate. Joohyun eventually forgoes her work and surprised Seulgi with a nice home-made dinner while the girl was sleeping.

 

And then there were times when Seulgi was too busy for her.

 

“Welcome back, Seul.” Joohyun greeted groggily when Seulgi finally came home from work.

 “Babe, what are you doing on the sofa?” Seulgi asked worriedly. With three big strides, she rushed toward the couch and picked Joohyun up bridal style and carried her to bed.

 

“What time is it? I was waiting for you to come home.” Joohyun whined at being lifted suddenly but she just melded into Seulgi’s arms.

 

“It’s 12 am. Go back to sleep.” Seulgi gently put Joohyun down onto her side of the bed and waited until she girl drifted off before leaving to freshen up.

 

Once Seulgi climbed into bed, Joohyun automatically swung her arm over Seulgi’s waist and clung onto to her like it was the most natural thing. And it probably is, because Seulgi found herself doing the same thing subconsciously, cuddling with each other like they are each other’s childhood teddy bear that they can’t sleep without.

 

But no matter what, they never fail to remind each other of the love they still hold dearly in their heart, with an ‘I love you’ here and an ‘I miss you’ there, a text here and a small note there, a surprise here and a reminder there. These little gestures speak louder than any shouted confessions.      

 

Joohyun smiles excited as she walks into the planetarium and looks around catch a shadow of the girl who had requested her to meet at this spot.

 

She was startled when the light turns off all of a sudden and the whole planetarium came to life with the most vivid of colors and brightest of constellations displaying on the ceiling of the room.  

 

Joohyun has always been in love with the sky and though she knows this one is fake, she is still in awe by the vastness of the universe. And if she squints hard enough, she can even make out the word ‘I heart you’ from the brightest stars in the sky.

 

While Joohyun is busy looking at the stars displayed on the ceiling, Seulgi is slowly making her way toward her in the corner of the stage with a bouquet of purple Hydrangeas in hand, Joohyun’s favorite. The same flower that decorates all 420 seats in the planetarium.

 

“Bae Joohyun. My love. I know we have only been together for 3 years, but they were the happiest years of my life.” Seulgi’s whispers honestly once she stands only inches away from the love of her life.

 

“I cannot imagine a future without you. Actually, I don’t even want to imagine it!” Seulgi shakes her head as if to chase away that thought. “I just know that I want to always wake up next to you every morning, hold your hand when we cross the street, kiss away your tears when we watch a sad movie, be your support when you’re too old to walk.”

 

Seulgi gets down on one knee, in front of Joohyun who’s eyes are already moist with tears. “Hyun! I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Will you…” Hic. Her question was interrupted by the most annoying hiccup that she thought will no longer be a recurrence. Hic. But she guessed wrong.

 

“Will you..hic..marry me?” Seulgi battles the hiccup to finish her sentence. She s the flowers toward Joohyun’s face with one hand and a blueprint that she had personally designed for their future house with the other.

 

Something she has been working on for months now – a 2-story home with the fireplace Joohyun wanted, a library to store Joohyun’s favorite books, a playroom for their future child, a backyard with a playground, a laundry room filled with Joohyun’s favorite scent, a study room so she can work at home, and walls filled with pictures of their most precious moments – a future that they both share.

 

Her eyes close tightly to suppress the hiccups but more so, she’s afraid to look Joohyun in the eyes lest she sees any hint of rejection in those brown orbs.

 

What she didn’t expect is Joohyun kneeling down and cupping her face like how she did in high schools, like how she did back when they first met again. Her hands soft and warm.

 

Joohyun chuckles at the silly bear in front of her and Seulgi opens her eyes to be greeted by the most radiant face she wishes to see every day.

 

“Yes! Kang Seulgi. Yes. I will marry you!” Joohyun takes the bouquet of flowers and blueprint and pulls Seulgi in for a chaste kiss. “Only if…” She continues after their lips detach from one another and Seulgi’s eyes widen at the condition.

 

“Only if… you marry me too!” Joohyun reaches into her skirt’s pocket and pulls out the velvet box that she had kept inside her pocket for far too long. She opens the box to reveal 2 wedding bands that she had picked out to propose to Seulgi during tonight’s celebration. But seems like Seulgi had beaten her to it.

 

Seulgi looks at the wedding bands and back at Joohyun and back at the bands again to process all that happened, and her smile widens into a grin.   

 

What was supposed to her asking for Joohyun’s hand in marriage turns into Joohyun proposing to her too! Bae Joohyun is proposing to her!

 

If she was only ecstatic before that Joohyun had said yes, she is more than overwhelmed now to know that Joohyun wanted the same future with her. Ready to commit to a future with her.

 

Just when she was about to pull Joohyun in and seal their future with a deep and passionate kiss, her friends, the same friends that she had asked to be witnesses to her proposal, jump out with balloons and poppers in hand.

 

Confetti decorates the room as various colors of strings fly out and land on them.

 

“Congratulation!” “You may now kiss the bride.” “I’m so happy for you both!” “Yay! We can go home now!” and different arrays of happy words were thrown at them like the poppers.

 

The couple looks around at the faces of their friends who have witnessed the beginning of their relationship to this point where they are ready to take the next step together. Joohyun is glad that Seulgi had asked them to celebrate with them.

 

But… “You guys knew that both, Seulgi and I, wanted to propose to each other!?” Joohyun raises her voice at the realization.

 

“Uh-oh. One of the idiots finally caught on!” Sooyoung laughs at her own comment and is ready to make a dash for it.

 

“Son Seugnwan! You are supposed to be my best friend!!” Joohyun shouts at her friend with fake anger. But truth be told, nothing can dampen her mood today. Not even being tricked to treat all these so-called friends to lunch for ‘helping’ her out with the proposal.  

 

Sooyoung grabs Wendy by the wrist and skedaddles out of the planetarium with the rest of the crew follow suit, laughing as they dash away.

--

 

“Seungwan huh?” Sooyoung her eyebrow at the implication of the name and questions the girl next to her once they’re at a safe distance away from the idiot couple. “So…have you been in love with me since high school too?” she drags her words out teasingly.

 

“You wish!” Wendy scoffs at the taller girl, trying to keep calm while secretly panicking on the inside at her exposed secret.

 

“I do wish,” Sooyoung said flirtatiously while slowly leaning in to kiss her girlfriend of 2 years now.

 

Wendy stops her advancing lips with a smirk of her own. “Nuh-uh, Joy." Wendy puts an emphasis on her alias now that the truth is out. "Don’t forget I won last time.” Wendy reminds her who is in charge today before leaning in and dominating her lips instead.

 

Even after 2 years, this couple still competes with one another. Even after 2 years, the excitement of being together hasn’t dwindled. Even after 2 years, their heart still thumps erratically for one another.  Both Sooyoung and Wendy are people who listen to their heart, so long as their heart continues to beat for one another, they will have each other.

 

Only when Wendy is satisfied that she breaks away from the kiss and smiles lovingly at Sooyoung, who is pouting at the escaping warmth that had just occupied her lips only seconds ago. Not wanting the cold to settles, she leans in with Wendy's permission and nibbles on warmth that Wendy's lips provide once more. 

--

Seulgi just blinks in confusion at what just transpired. Her head is still reeling in the fact that Joohyun had said yes to her proposal. Joohyun and her are going to get married! Joohyun and her are going to have a family! Joohyun and her will be a family.

 

Seulgi's heart swells in happiness and her cheeks heighten and her eyes crinkle in pair with her smile. When Seulgi looks up at her love, her future wife, Joohyun's face mirrors her own and she knows too that Joohyun is feeling the same emotions. The same happiness. The same love.  

 

In their own bubble of happiness, the couple rests their forehead against one another as they reel in that fact with a tender smile at the tip of their lips.

 

“I love you. Till death do us part.”


A/N: Wow that was long. I wanted to break this down into two chapters but ...I didn't want to break my promise that the next chapter will be the last. heheh. 

That was a rollercoaster of a chapter. I hope it wraps up as nicely as you had hoped. That scholarship scene at the end of the second chapter may seem random then but it was added just so Joohyun can have the closure she needed for her and Seulgi's relationship to work out. I always think, the most valuable relationship is the one that survives the ups and downs. That's why I prefer writing stories where couples learn to treasure one another. Hence the angst. Sorry.

As for Wenjoy, there really is no way of knowing how they will end. Their relationship is as spontaneous as their personality. They live in the present and love in the present. Whatever happens in the future happens in the future. 

That's that. The ending is pretty set. But if I ever come back, it won't be an epilogue to this story but a prologue of Seulgi's and Joohyun's high school days. hahaha. I'm so glad I got to complete this story before school starts.

Oh ! Thanks so much for the upvote!! >.< I didn't think this story would get over 100+ upvotes. That's pretty amazing. Enjoy. Let me know whatcha think.