we meet again

High School Sweetheart

“You weren’t kidding when you said soon huh?” Joohyun looks at the young designer accusingly when they meet again at some investor’s private party four days later.

 

“What a coincident, right!?” Seulgi grins innocently across the kitchen counter.

 

“Right…” the girl rolls her eyes at the young designer and continues to arrange the fruits on the tray. “Shouldn’t you be out there sipping on wine or something?” She finally asks when the girl made no intention to leave.

 

“I’m more of a coffee person.” She shrugs nonchalantly. “I’m not really needed anyway. Sooyoung is out there working her charm.”

 

It was as if Park Sooyoung is born to expose Kang Seulgi or something because all of a sudden the said girl barges into the kitchen and yells, “What the hell Seulgi!? I know Joohyun is here and all but you are supposed to be out there and explain to them the concept of your design and win them over so that they will give us more money!”

 

Before the young designer even gets a chance to defend herself, she is already being dragged out of the kitchen by the company’s CEO.

 

“Jeeze, you know most normal people just invite their love interest to lunch or dinner. They don’t go and asks the host of parties they’re attending change catering vendor!”  Sooyoung grumbles in complain about having to babysit their company’s founder.

 

Joohyun stares at the backs of the disappearing couple and smiles amusingly at how childish the two are.

 --

Sooyoung might have been able to keep Seulgi away and at bay with their potential investors and clients but she couldn’t get Seulgi to focus whatsoever. Her attention keeps trailing toward a certain waitress.

 

She would turn slightly left every time Joohyun comes out of the kitchen and her gaze would be fixed straight ahead, pass the men and women in business suit, at the girl in the back.

 

“Where does your inspiration come from Miss Kang?” Sooyoung has to nudge the young designer to get her attention back to the person that asked the question.

 

“H-huh? Oh. From the various things I see and experience. Everything in life is a potential design theme but, if I have to be honest, I design with a home in mind.” Her gaze falls toward the girl in the back briefly before looking back at the person that asked the question.  “I construct spaces with the image of building a future with the person I love in it. And that’s the reason why many of my designs give off a comfortable and welcoming atmosphere.”

 

“I see. That person must be very lucky to have you in her life.”

 

“I’m the lucky one.” She says sincerely with a shy smile while letting her gaze trails back to the girl in the back again. And this time I will try my best to stay in her life.

--

The dinner had ended over twenty minutes ago and the catering company had already cleaned up to left, meaning that Joohyun had already cleaned up and left, but the private party is not over.

 

Like the people that are expected to stay and talk proposal plans and business investments, Seulgi is also expected to stay and mingle, but her mind isn’t at all into conversations.

 

All she can think about is the drizzles that are threatening to pour down and if Joohyun has an umbrella or a ride or anything that can keep her dry and safe. The location of the house is quite isolated and far from central city. She’s not even sure if public transportations route around the area.

 

“Oh! For Pete’s sake! Just go already.” Sooyoung groans at the anxious young designer when she finally relented to letting Seulgi off the hook. “I got this,” she assures. Not like Seulgi will be helpful anyway.

 

“Thanks! You’re the best!” Seulgi rushes toward the exit after giving Sooyoung a wide thankful grin. Widest Sooyoung had seen since pulling her away from the kitchen. 

 

The minute she steps out the house, the valet pulls up her black Maserati Quattroporte almost instantly. Seulgi quickly hops on and speeds off trying to catch up to the girl.

 

She drives slowly and meticulously on the only road that leads away from the house, combing the area for anyone that matches the description of Bae Joohyun.

 

The rainfalls are coming down harder and stronger now.

Seulgi quickly pulls up when she spotted a lone figure treading along the side of the road with a bright purple umbrella.

 

"Get in!" she yells over the rainfall that threatened to drown out her voice.

 

The girl on the street just glances at the black car that pulled up and bends over to get a glimpse of the owner.

 

But before Joohyun can get a clear view, the impatient girl already stepped out of the car and is rushing over to where the girl under the umbrella is standing. "Get in! I'll drive you home!" She repeats herself again now that her voice doesn't have to compete with the rain.

 

"Seulgi-shi!? I-it's okay. The bus stop is just up ahead." Joohyun pushes her umbrella toward the taller girl seeing how the rain is breaking down on the thin suit that the young designer is wearing.

 

But she held on to Joohyun's hand and pushes it back, making sure that the umbrella covers as much of the girl as possible. Since it’s her that she doesn’t want getting wet in the first place.  “Get in Bae Joohyun! I’m driving you home!” she tells the girl with a commanding yet pleading voice. getting

 

Without waiting for an answer, Seulgi opens the car door and pushes the girl into the passenger seat before rushing back to the driver’s side.   

 

She was all drenched by the time she situated herself in the car. Joohyun quickly grabs a handful of tissues and tries to dry her off. Dabbing the tissues on her forehead, cheeks, nose, neck, and…

Hic…

Seulgi covers immediately at the first hiccup but the slight rise in her shoulders at every hiccup is clearly visible.

 

Joohyun chuckles at the action of the cute young designer in front of her. As usual, she cups her hands on the girl’s puffy cheeks trying to drive the hiccup away. Except, this time, her heart quickens as she looks into Seulgi’s chocolate brown eyes and her body shakes with nervousness as the girl’s warm breath envelops her space.

 

Joohyun immediately pulls her away as her palms began to sweat and settle back on her side of the seat. “Let’s go?” she asks softly trying to mask the butterflies she’s feeling.

 

“Sure! Just put in your address.” Seulgi hands her phone to the girl next to her with a grateful grin that her hiccup finally went away. Talk about embarrassment. If only she can stop these nervous hiccups every time Bae Joohyun is involved. Lost in her own thought, the dense girl didn’t even notice Joohyun’s sudden shyness.

---

It's another day, another shift, at another company's event for Bae Joohyun. But this time, instead of walking around mindlessly, she thinks about her future. Something she has been doing more and more lately, something she hasn't done in years. Not even with Wendy's constant nagging.

 

When she spots Park Sooyoung at one of the bar tables mingling with other people, she half expected and half anticipated for Kang Seulgi to pop out of nowhere like she always does, but is left disappointed.

 

She roams the venue as usual but can't help but look left and right to see if she can spot the taller girl around.

 

"Looking for someone?" Sooyoung sneaks up behind her and plants her face right next to her ear as she asks knowingly.

 

"Ah! Sooyoung! Jeeze, can't you guys just show up normally without giving me a heart attack?" Joohyun turns around and faces her.

 

"You haven't answered my question. Looking for someone?"

 

"N-no! Who would I be looking for." the waitress tries to sound as calm as possible but the little stutter in her answer is not so convincing.

 

"Oh really?" the CEO raises her eyebrows as if to analyze if Joohyun is telling the truth or not. After a short pause, she makes a feeble attempt to leave while pretending to mumble to herself, but still loud enough to be heard. "I guess the poor sick bear will just have to ride this one out herself." she sighs.

 

"Wait! Kang Seulgi is sick?"

 

Hook, line, and sinker! Sooyoung smirks.

 

She halts her step almost instantly and raises her eyebrows again at the waitress. "Oh? Did I say it was Seulgi?"

 

It's true. Sooyoung hadn't mentioned Seulgi's name at all in her previous lines. So Joohyun had just indirectly admitted that she was looking for someone and that person is Kang Seulgi. Her cheeks blush profusely and she looks away shyly at the confession.

 

"But yea. the poor girl got sick the other day after Mr. Kim's dinner party. Probably got wet in the rain trying to protect someone." Sooyoung explains innocently. "The poor thing is probably starving in bed right now without anyone to take care of her." She ended her soliloquy with an exaggerated sadness.

 

Joohyun is feeling guilty now. It's obvious that that someone Sooyoung referred to is her. So Seulgi probably got sick because she was shielding her from the rain. "She doesn't have a caretaker or something?"

 

"No. The girl doesn't like people invading her space."

 

Worries are eating Joohyun up on the inside now. "Do you think you can give me her number? I just want to make sure that she's okay."

 

"Better yet! Here's her address!" All of a sudden, Sooyoung pulls out a piece of paper out of thin air, almost like she had prepared it in advance, and shoves it into Joohyun's hand. "Make sure she's alive, okay?" She runs away before Joohyun can even respond.

---

Joohyun stands in front of the door to Seulgi's house nervously. She is surprised to find that Seulgi lives in such a modest studio. With Seulgi's status, she thought the girl would be living in a huge house protected in a gated community or something.

 

She presses the doorbell with a shaky finger. After 3 minutes of no one answering, she starts to ram her finger onto the doorbell with persistency, worried that something bad might have happened to the young designer.

 

"Coming!" Joohyung can hear the hoarse voice of the young designer answering her nagging doorbell.

 

"Don't break my doorbell, Park So-" Seulgi slams the door onto Joohyun's face out of reflex before she can finish her sentence. She takes a moment to recollect her thoughts. She gives herself a pinch of the cheek to make sure that she wasn't hallucinating because of the medicine.

 

"Ouch!" It hurts. When she confirms that it wasn't just a figment of her imagination, she also realizes what she had just done.

 

She had slammed the door on Bae Joohyun!

 

She opens the door slowly, scared that the girl might have turned around and left already but was happy to see that Joohyun is still there, standing in front of her doorstep.

 

"Hi, Bae Joohyun! What are you doing here?" She tries to sound bright and energetic at the greeting but the hoarse voice and coughs betray her.

 

"Let's get you to bed first." Joohyun steps through the door and drags the sick girl back to bed after seeing how weakened Seulgi is. Her whole body is wrapped in a thick blanket and her legs can barely support her weight. Her eyes are drooping with drowsiness and nose bright pink from the constant rubbing.

 

"Sooyoung told me you are sick and gave me your address to make sure that you're still alive." She tries to sound indifferent but worries are visible on her face especially when she feels the girl's forehead burning with fever.

 

"Have you taken your medicine?" Seulgi can only nod to the question as Joohyun's voice is slowly being drowned out by drowsiness and her eyes slowly close.

 

Once Seulgi's eyes close and her breath evened, Joohyun pulls the blanket closer to the girl's chin and tugs it snuggly over her shoulders before heading to the bathroom to get a wet towel and placing it on her forehead.

 

Joohyun looks around at the modern setting of the home, again surprised at how simple the design is. She looks around at the framed photos on the counter and chuckles at the silly pictures of Seulgi and Sooyoung doing various poses. Among those pictures, Joohyun notices an old and low-quality picture of her and Seulgi taken at their high school graduation. She doesn't remember ever taking a picture with Seulgi, but then again, she had taken pictures with so many people that day, it's no wonder she doesn't remember. For some reason, it makes her happy that Seulgi treasures the picture so much.  

 

She gives that picture a small smile before heading to the kitchen to make some porridge.

 

"Seulgi-shi” Joohyun taps her shoulder slightly. “Seulgi-ah! Wake up" She tries again when there’s no response.  It’s already been 3 hours since she first stepped into the house. If sleeping only can heal the sick girl, she would let her sleep as much as she wants but the girl needs to wake up, eat some food and take her medicine.  

 

“H-hm…?” Seulgi finally stirs. She cracks her lid open slightly to be blinded by the bright light while a dark figure looms over her. She thought she was dreaming again when she hears Joohyun’s soft, gentle voice whispering “Seulgi-ah~ Seulgi-ah~, Wake up~.” Oh, how often had she dreamed of being woken up like this in such an affectionate manner.

 

The voice resonates in her mind until it becomes louder and louder, clearer and clearer, chasing away any haziness that clouded her thought and brings her back to reality. Her eyes flutter open when she remembers Joohyun was at her doorstep.

 

How long has it been? Minutes? Hours?

 

Once her vision is focused, she is greeted by the Joohyun’s face only inches from hers.   Breathtaking. Especially with the ceiling light casting a halo over her side-profile. Almost like an angle.

 

“Wake up, Seulgi-shi. I made porridge.” Joohyun whispers softly as she pulls Seulgi to a seated position with pillows cushioning her back. “Eat something first, take your medicine, and then you can go back to bed again, okay?”

 

Seulgi nods in agreement before opening to ask, “What time is it? Have you been here the whole time?” Her voice still hoarse from the cold and now raspy from the sleep.

 

“Half past eight,” Joohyun answers with a nod before walking over to the kitchen and scoops a bowl of hot porridge from the pot. When she returns with the bowl and a glass of water, she notices tears welling up in Seulgi’s eyes.

 

“Are you okay? Are you in pain?” Concerns laced her voice. 

 

Seulgi wipes away the tears with the back of her hand and gives Joohyun a blissful smile. “Yea. I’m just…happy.”

 

“Happy that you’re sick?” She her eyebrows and gives Seulgi a questioning look.

 

The said girl can only nod at the question with a small smile, not trusting her voice to remain steady. As if she is not already overly sensitive and vulnerable in her state of mind, Joohyun just has to sweep in and visit her, cook for her, and care for her. How can that feeling of happiness not heighten to the point of tears and her heart not swell in bliss at the gesture?

 

If her feelings were just love and admiration for the girl before, now she can confidently say that she’s in love. In love with Bae Joohyun and her kindness.

 

Joohyun brushes away the weird response and hands the bowl of porridge to Seulgi. “Be careful. It’s hot.”

 

Seulgi reaches for the bowl with shaky fingers. Two days of being bedridden and snacking on anything that she can scrounge up in her cabinet had really drained her strength and left her enfeebled.   

 

Fortunately, Joohyun notices it and pulls the bowl back into her possession. “Here, let me help you.” She scoops a spoonful of porridge, blows on it, and raises it toward Seulgi’s mouth.

 

Seulgi leans toward the spoon and takes her first bite. Tears threatened to spill out of her eyes again. She blames the cold that made her vulnerable and weakened her emotional barrier. But she can’t help but feel grateful for the rain that puts her in such state. Grateful to be given the chance to be spoon-fed by the girl in front of her.

 

Too soon did she finished that bowl of porridge when Joohyun left the edge of her bed to bring her the cold medicine. She misses that lingering warmth already. 

 

“Here your medicine, Seulgi-shi. Take it and get some more rest.” Joohyun nags at her to take better care of herself. But she didn’t mind. It was more welcoming than being addressed so formally.

 

“Thanks. Joohyun… are you free next Friday? I want to take you out on a da-,” Seulgi stops herself before she can say the word. “to dinner. As a thank you” she corrected. Seulgi is an opportunist. A go-getter. And what better way to score a date than to use thank you as an excuse. No one can say no to that especially, saying not to such a weakly, sick patient.  

 

“I don’t have work that day. But you don’t really have to thank me, Seulgi-shi. I’m the reason why you got sick in the first place.” 

 

Seulgi-shi. Seulgi-shi. She has never hated hearing people addressing her this way this much before.


“I don’t mind if you speak casually with me, Joohyun. We’re friends aren’t we?”

 

Friends. A word that Joohyun had abandoned years ago. Friends. Like the people that make excuses at her cry for help? Or the people that dropped out of her life when she has no network to offer? She has stopped trying to be friends with people over the years when she can no longer take the disappointment that it brings. But for some reason, Seulgi makes her want to try again. The girl has been nothing but genuine with her and it makes her want to believe that she won’t abandon her like the others.

 

“Good night, Seulgi,”  Joohyun emphasizes her name as she tugs Seulgi in again once the girl’s eyelids start to droop as drowsiness overwhelms her senses. But before the girl is completely knocked out, her lips curl upward into a small triumphant grin.

 

Joohyun stares at the smile on the girl’s face and her own face can’t help but mirrors it.

Before she packs up and leaves, she left a short note for the girl. I hope you will be better by Friday, Seulgi. Here’s my number. (626) 934-9987. Text me the details of our dinner plan. – Joohyun.

--

It would be an understatement to say that Seulgi is just excited for the date… dinner. Whatever Joohyun prefers to call it. She has been smiling non-stop trying as she plans out the perfect first date for the both of them. Somewhere too fancy and the girl might feel out of place. Somewhere too shabby and it would seem like she’s not putting in enough effort.

 

In the end, Seulgi settled for Chez Choi, a small restaurant tucks in the corner of Hollywood that exudes a comfortable and welcoming atmosphere. The restaurant is weirdly located away from the crowd and all the other fancy restaurants, a location purposely selected to not attract customers. 

 

An odd reason but no one was surprised since the chef and owner herself is an eccentric person. Like how no one was surprised when the restaurant announced that they do not take reservations and will attend customers based on first come first serve. Yet, even with an isolated location and an odd rule, people still flock the restaurant, waiting hours in line to get a taste of chef Choi’s dishes.

 

Seulgi arrives at Joohyun’s apartment with her black Maserati 10 minutes early before the designated time and, already, her car is attracting curious stares from neighbors who are not used to seeing such a luxurious vehicle around this neighborhood.

 

Joohyun scurries down the stairs to find the now-healthier young designer standing in front of the passenger’s door with a bouquet in hand.

 

“Joohyun! Here, for you.” Seulgi hands her the bouquet of roses, a classic for a first date. Or so the internet said.

 

A pink tint paints the girl’s cheeks as she accepts the flowers. “Thanks. They’re beautiful.” She can’t remember when was the last time she received flowers from another person but did it make her heart flutters like this before?

--

Seulgi was so nervous before the date that she had gulped down two bottles of water to calm her nerves. It wasn’t part of the plan but the minute they arrived at the restaurant, she excuses herself to the bathroom, leaving Joohyun waiting at the reception area by herself.

 

While Seulgi is away, Joohyun takes in the design of the restaurant. Rustic wood lines the walls and encloses the space from ceiling to floor. In the corner of the reception area are chairs and bean bags in front of a fireplace, designed to host customers queuing for a table. She loves the design. If she ever saved enough money for a house, she would probably want something like this in the future.  

 

Before she can observe further, a loud voice interrupted her thought. “What do you mean our table is not ready yet!?” She glances over to see the back of a guy arguing with the receptionist.

 

“We’ve been waiting for 2 hours already! Just kick someone out! Tell them I’ll pay for their dinner if they leave.” 

 

“I’m sorry sir. Our policy does not allow that. You are next in line. A table should be ready in 20 minutes.”

 

“20 minutes!?” He’s furious now. They have been waiting for two hours already and he doesn’t want to wait another minute longer. Especially not after he bragged so much about his status and connections in front of his girlfriend.

 

He turns around and kicks the nearest chair in anger after the receptionist persistently refuses his request. Insolent! Doesn’t she know who he is and how much money he has!?

 

He was going to release his anger on the chair some more until he spots a familiar girl nearby.  

 

“Oh. If it isn’t Irene-shi.” He smirks at the girl. “Are you working here now?”

 

Joohyun turns toward the voice when she heard her name only to come face to face with a jerk that she had given the cold shoulder to before. She was about to say something but decided against it. No point getting worked up over a nobody.

 

But just because she was letting go doesn’t mean he was. “Huh. Don’t tell me you’re actually here as a customer.” He raises his voice, purposely making a scene, to embarrass her. “Hah. One meal here probably costs you a whole week of work! This place is way out of your league.” 

 

Joohyun clenches her fists at that statement. She has no retaliation for it. It’s true. If it wasn’t for Seulgi, she probably would never, in her lifetime, consider eating at a restaurant of this caliber. Sure she can afford it, but, like he said, it would cost her, if not a whole week, at least three days’ worth of salary.

 

She tries to shy away from the scene and the attention that the jerk is attracting until an arm wraps around her shoulder and a confident yet gentle voice pulls her out of her search. “Let’s go, Joohyun.”

 

Seulgi has heard the commotion after coming out of the restroom and rushes to Joohyun’s side protectively. She leads her toward the reception desk, away from the jerk and the onlookers, with proud steps. “Table for 2 under Kang Seulgi.”

 

The receptionist looks through her list for a Kang Seulgi but she is sure that the name is nowhere in the next 10 groups. She is about to dismiss the couple like she did many others before them until she sees the names Kang Seulgi and Bae Joohyun under the reserved section. A special section for the VIPs of the restaurant only.

 

“Miss Kang and Miss Bae, right this way please.”

 

With Seulgi’s arm still tightly around Joohyun’s shoulder, the two follow the receptionist to their table. But they didn’t’ get far until the jerk makes another fuss.

 

“What the hell!? I thought you said I was next!” Since the restaurant has a no-reservation policy, he thought it was unlike that they could have gotten a table before him.

 

“I’m sorry sir. Miss Kang here is a special guest of the restaurant and a table was reserved in advance for her and her partner.”

 

The jerk can only send the couple a scowl since he can’t retaliate. But when he thought they were out of earshot, he hisses under his breath, “Tsk. So this is why she rejected my advancement. found herself a sugar ma-.”

 

Before he can even finish his sentence, Seulgi had already spun around and closed the gap between her and him so fast that he couldn’t even defend himself for what comes next.

 

Before he knows it, his foot is trapped under her sharp heel and her figure looms dominantly over him. “She rejected you” she grunts with a strained voice, trying to hold back her anger, “because you are a worthless that only knows how to spend daddy’s money. You have no right to look at her much less speaks about her like that!” she hisses her statement into his face and turns away as quickly as she came, but not before throwing the word “Pathetic!” at him with a disgusted look. 

 

Never in his life has he been insulted directly like that! He was about to confront the girl when his girlfriend pulls him back with a head shake. “Babe, don’t. That’s Kang Seulgi.” She whispers into his ear and that was all she needed to say for him to control himself.

 

Kang Seulgi. Lead designer of Kang Design. A slow-growing company by choice but a sought-after business partner especially now that they are breaking into the retail industry and offering to design storefronts for selected brands. As hands-off as he is, he wasn’t dumb enough to make enemy with the company’s leader and risk his father’s business plans. All he can do is watch the two walks away with his teeth clenched.

---

"Sorry for taking so long" Seulgi apologizes for the bathroom break but Joohyun can hear the messages hidden underneath. Sorry for leaving you alone to deal with that. Sorry for not coming to your defense earlier. Sorry for not being there when you needed me.

 

Joohyun usually doesn't really mind though. She has learned to deal with people like that over the years. People who think they can do anything they want just because they have money. As long as they don't cross the line, she usually just ignore them like the idiots they are. But for reason, she felt self-conscious this time. Almost like she didn't want to embarrass the girl she came with.

 

Seulgi notices the dampened mood and quickly opens up the menu, hoping to cheer the girl up with food. "The cakes here are amazing! You definitely need to try it." She exaggerates with her most excited and cheery voice.

 

Joohyun laughs at her attempt. "Desserts sound nice and all but shouldn't we look at real food first?"

 

Soon enough, the mood at the table lifted with laughter and giggles resonating in their corner as they share funny stories from childhood. They were so lost in their own little world that they didn't even notice someone smiling creepily at them behind the counter.

 

Not until Joohyun glances up and sees the person staring directly at her. Seulgi follows Joohyun's gaze when she notices that the girl had stopped talking

 

"Sooyoung unnie! What are you doing here?" Seulgi gets up and walks toward the creep that Joohyun is currently looking at with open arms.

 

The creep leaves the safe haven behind the counter reluctantly and approaches the bear. "Well, Taeyeon told me that you were smitten with a girl so I had to come see it for myself!" The creep smiles boldly like she wasn't spying on them just minutes ago.

 

"You ditched your restaurant in France... just to come and spy on me?" Seulgi questions doubtfully.

 

"That and I need you to sketch a design for my new restaurant!" Sooyoung gives her a glaring smile. "Design it like how you designed this place. Comfortable and welcoming." Another glaring smile as if all Seulgi has to do is draw and voila, an award-winning design.

 

Seulgi gives her a weak smile but nods her head in agreement. "Give me some time." Park Sooyoung is going to kill her for saying yes before consulting her but she owes this Sooyoung too much to reject the favor.

 

"You're the best!" Sooyoung pulls the bear into a bear-hug. "She's a keeper by the way." She whispers in her ear once the grip is slightly loosened, enough for the bear the breath.

 

"Well, you two continue with the flirting.” She gives them a wink. “Dinner on me. Think of it as down payment for the design." Sooyoung slowly back away as she spits out chains of goodbyes. She gives Seulgi a thumbs-up before completely disappearing from view. Probably to find another hiding spot to spy on them.

--

Dinner, luckily, ended peacefully only after so many disturbances.

Seulgi is driving Joohyun home when a more serious topic came up. Something that has been lingering behind her mind for a while now.

 

"Have you ever thought about going back to school?"

 

Going back to school? At this age? It not like Joohyun hasn't entertained the idea, but money is still a huge hurdle she has to overcome.

 

"I...have. But the tuition is not something I can afford easily." She confesses.

 

"You know there are plenty of scholarships out there for older students who want to go back to school." Seulgi is actually not sure if that's true or not but she just wants to give Joohyun the courage to pursue her dream again. She knows that Joohyun is still the same ambition Bae Joohyun back in high school. And she can tell that the girl wants to pursue more in life than what is being offered right now.  

 

"I'll look into it." Joohyunn drops the topic with that one line. She is afraid where this conversation might lead to if they continue. Seulgi senses it and stops pursuing out of respect.

 

Once they arrived at Joohyun’s apartment, Seulgi rushes to open the car door for the girl.  

 

"Thanks for dinner, Seulgi. It was fun talking to you." Joohyun’s voice is soft and shy. Seulgi was just going to wave goodbye when the next thing she knows, Joohyun is already tiptoeing towards her and places a soft chaste kiss on her cheek. As quick as that kiss had come, Joohyun left even quicker.

 

Seulgi can just stare at Joohyunn's back with wide eyes as she tries to process what just happened.

 

Bae Joohyun just kissed her! On the cheek! She kissed her!

 

Hic...

 

She smiles into the hiccups.

 

Hic...

 

Her smiles widen into a grin.

 

Hic...

 

She holds her breath trying chase away the hiccups but the sound continues to echo through the silence of the car for the entire ride back as she recalls Joohyun’s soft lips on her cheek. The smile never leaving her face.  

--

Back at their own respective home.

Joohyun is looking into the deadlines and requirements for re-admission into the university that she was once a student at while Seulgi is making a secretive phone call to the president of the University of California.

 

“Hi, Janet. I hope everything is well with you.”

 

“Yes. I’m doing well also.”

 

“Sorry to call so late but I would like to donate 20 thousand dollars toward a scholarship fund for older students who wish to resume their study at any of the University of California.”

 

“Yes. I would like to remain anonymous.”

 

“No. I will leave all the decision making to you and your team.”

 

“Perfect. Thank you very much. I’ll contact my financial officer to initiate the transfer.”


A/N: Thanks for the comments and upvotes! ^.^
All the kind words and anticipations are appreciated.