002

Thank you.

-THE NEXT DAY-

“Taemin?” I stirred in my sleep, thinking someone was calling me. “Taemin-ssi?” The voice repeated. I groaned and squinted, trying to adjust to the room’s brightness. It’s morning already. “Good morning, Taemin.” Jinri looked at me, smiling and I noticed right away that she’s not as pale as yesterday. Jiheon’s on her bed, her hand while she tries to pet him. “Good morning, Jinri.” I greeted back as I rubbed my eyes. “I’m so sorry to disturb your sleep but my Jiheon here is hungry. Do you mind putting some food and water on his bowls?” she asked, smiling apologetically at me. I immediately sat up and nodded. “It’s alright, Jinri. Never hesitate to ask me anything. I’m always willing to help you.” I smiled at her as I stood up and walked towards the bag of dog food. “Thank you so much, Taemin. I don’t know what I’m ever gonna do without you.” She said and I saw Jiheon by my feet, looking really happy, wildly wagging his tail behind him. I smiled at the dog at started filling up his bowl. “You hungry, little pup?” I asked the dog and put the bag of dog food back to its original place. I grabbed the other bowl and brought it to the water dispenser to put some water on it before putting it back beside his food bowl.

I walked towards Jinri, smiling. “How are you feeling?” I ask. “Still pretty but better than yesterday.” She softly laughed which made my heart flutter. She’s so god damn adorable, someone help me. “Are you hungry? I can ask my friend to bring extra food for you since he’s gonna drop by in a bit.” I said. “That same friend as yesterday?” She asked and I nodded, telling her Minho hyung’s name. “Hmm, he can get me anything as long as it’s not hospital food. I never liked hospital food. They taste sad.” She pouted which made my heart pound faster then I felt my cheeks burn up. I cleared my throat and looked away. “I’ll uh… Let me call him.” I awkwardly walked to my bedside table to get my phone when the door opened.

“Helloooooo!” a familiar voice cheerfully greeted. I turned around and saw Key hyung with Minho hyung behind him. “We brought home cooked foo—oh! She’s awake!” Key hyung gasped, looking at Jinri. Jinri smiled and greeted them. Key quickly went to her to introduce himself and asked her if the dog food he chose for Jiheon is fine. I looked at Minho hyung, who is placing the paper bag with Tupperwares filled with home cooked food. “I asked Key to cook a lot since I thought maybe she would like some too.” Minho hyung said, unpacking the food. “Yeah, she does. She said she hates hospital food. Thanks, hyung.” I told him and he smiled at me. “Go eat so you can recover quickly. I’ll go and introduce myself to her too.” He said before turning around and walking towards Jinri who’s laughing with Key hyung.

I asked Key hyung to help Jinri to sit up so she can eat as I put a little bit of everything on the paper plate they brought. As Key hyung helped her sit up, Minho hyung also prepared the overbed table and Jinri thanked them both. I walked towards her bed and placed the plate and wooden chopsticks on the table. “Can you eat by yourself now or do you want me to feed you?” I nonchalantly asked Jinri and I saw her blush. I think my heart just exploded. Key hyung and Minho hyung started teasing us both which obviously made Jinri feel uncomfortable. I nudged Minho hyung, hinting that Jinri is uncomfortable. When he noticed it, he cleared his throat and looked at Key hyung shaking his head which made Key hyung stop too. “I, uh… I’ll eat by myself, Taemin. Thank you.” Jinri said and picked up the wooden chopsticks then looked at us. “You guys should eat too. I don’t want to be the only one eating here.” She pouted and Key hyung exclaimed how cute she is when she pouts like that. I know, right? I thought and made my way to the table with Minho hyung.

We were putting food on our plates when Jinri suddenly moaned. Holy , I’m going crazy here. We looked at her and she covered , her eyes wide open. “Oops. Sorry. It’s just that the food is so good. Where did you get this?” she gushed which made Key hyung insanely happy. He clapped his hands and proudly told her that he cooked everything then Jinri gave him two thumbs up and went back to eating.

We all shared funny stories as we ate. We were having so much fun that we didn’t notice the time until Key hyung’s phone started to vibrate like crazy. “Oh ! I forgot about my schedule. I gotta go.” He stood up, and gathered his things and ran towards Jinri to kiss her forehead. “You get well soon, okay? Let’s hang out again next time.” He said and winked before waving at Minho hyung and me and leaving the room. “He’s such a flirt.” Minho hyung rolled his eyes and stood up to gather our now empty plates to throw them in the garbage bin. Jinri just laughed and asked Minho hyung if he can pass her a cup of water. “I’ll do it.” I chimed and hurriedly went to the dispenser to grab a cup and fill it with water. “Thank you, Taemin.” She said and I smiled to myself. Minho hyung looked at me, smiling at me like an idiot while raising his eyebrows at me. I rolled my eyes at him and mouthed ‘ off’ then went to give Jinri her water.

After some time, Minho hyung said goodbye to me and Jinri because he has to film for a drama. He told us to get well soon before leaving us in the room. I looked at Jinri who was looking at me with a small smile in her lips. “Does it hurt?” She whispered, pointing to my cast. “It used to but it doesn’t anymore.” I answer and sat on the chair beside her bed. She grabbed my other hand and squeezed it. She really likes squeezing my hand, doesn’t she? “Taemin…” she called and asked me to come closer so I leaned in and rested my chin on her pillow, my face a few inches away from hers. I gulped. “Thank you, Taemin. For everything.” She whispered, smiling sweetly at me. “What are you thanking me for? The only thing helping you breathe is the machine and you’re suffering right now because of me. That’s not exactly something to be thankful for, is it?” I said, drawing circles on her hand with my thumb. “But because of that, I get to meet you. In this short time that we’ve known each other, you made me feel happiness that I’ve never felt before. I felt important, and loved. I’m thankful for meeting you, Taemin.” She reached for my face with her other hand and caressed my cheek. We stayed like that, staring at each other’s eyes silently for some time and we fell asleep.