Lost/Last Chance

Picturing Spring

          Jongdae and I lie facing each other on the bed, his hand is patting my back softly. I adjust my position to bury my face on his chest, and he holds me tighter.

          “Can we talk now?” I ask.

          Jongdae lets out a soft laugh from his nose. “I feel like this will be a questioning session rather than talk.”

          “Correct.” I reply. “So it’s true? You were going to Japan to see me?”

          “It’s supposed to be a surprise.”

          “The last time you tried to make one, something bad happened and your surprise didn’t work.”

          “I won’t let that happen again.”

          “You were going to go to Japan with me. Do you even know my flight information?”

          “Um… I do.”

          “What? From where?”

          “Someone named… Ishii Sakura.”

          I close my eyes. Of course. “I knew it. This hotel information too?”

          “I saw the room number from the key card you dropped back then in the restaurant. But yeah, she gave me that too just in case.”

          “Ha.” I scoff. “So where have you been?”

          “Because I wanted to do the Japan surprise, I rushed to finish my work for the week. I wrapped up a few hours ago, and planned to come to you tomorrow morning. But then Baek Soojung contacted me, and I ran here.”

          I sigh. “You should just text me or something, not keep making me curious—never mind, that’s your habit.”

          He laughs.

          “Okay, so you plan to go to Japan—do you think I’ll let you come with me?”

          Jongdae doesn’t answer for awhile. I hear him inhaling softly, and he pulls me closer. “This time, I won’t let you go easily. This time, I will chase you.”

          I stare at his jacket on my sight, and close my eyes. He starts patting my back again, and we stay like that for awhile. “You smell like wet leaves.”

          “Because that’s where I was around for the past few days.”

          He sits up, and climb down the bed. “I’m going to use the bathroom.”

          I nod, and I stare at the ceiling. I hear water running from the bathroom, and I look at its direction. Jongdae is here. And he’s coming to Japan with me.

          Jongdae comes out from the bathroom, and he takes off his jacket. He joins me again on the bed, and places his head on my shoulder.

          “How long will you stay in Japan?” I ask.

          “A week… Or two.”

          “That’s too short.” I lament.

          “I plan to visit longer next time.”

          “How about spring? You can spend spring there.”

          “Shall we make a book again?” Jongdae laughs. I laugh with him.

          He takes one of my hands and interlock our fingers. His warm hand makes me feel at ease, and my eyelids get heavier.

          “Take some rest.”

          I nod. Jongdae gives me a peck on the lips, and I’m wide awake again. “Now I can’t sleep.”

          He grins, and kisses my forehead. He has his arms around me, and I can’t ask more of this comfort.

*

          My alarm wakes me up, and I open my eyes. I take time to collect my memories, and as I look at the TV in front of the bed, my face feels hot.

          I turn my head to the side, and find nobody there. I sit up, and look at the empty room. Where is Jongdae?

          The bathroom is empty. There’s no trace of him. I grab my phone on the table, and find a message from him.

 

I’m going home for awhile to take my stuff.

I’ll be back soon.

 

          I raise a side of my mouth, and lie down on the bed again. So I wasn’t dreaming.

*

          I’m staring at Jongdae who is looking out to the night view outside from this restaurant on the 30th floor of Tokyo Skytree, and he glances at me. “You’re going to put a hole on my head with that look.” he says.

          “I won’t do this if only you aren’t going back to Seoul tomorrow.”

          “Where did two weeks’ worth of time go?” Jongdae sighs. “I’m going to be back in spring.”

          “Promise?”

          Jongdae nods. I smile, but I go flat-faced again in a second. “But then I’ll be alone in winter.”

          Jongdae smiles awkwardly. “I’m sorry. But maybe I can sneak here in a weekend or so.”

          “Really?” I light up again.

          “Can I stay at your place again?”

          “Oh, come on. You’ve been staying there for two weeks, it’s basically your home.”

          Jongdae chuckles. He looks out to the city view again, and tilts his head. “I’ve never been in a long-distance relationship.”

          I look down to my plate. “Me too.”

          “Should we try?”

          We look at each other with solemn looks, then we both break into a thin smile. I think that’s an affirmative.

*

          On a cold winter day, Mr. Tanaka, the head of my department calls me to his office.

          “Sit, Asahi.”

          I take a seat slowly. If I need to sit, this is either going to be long or important. Or both. I need none of it on this freezing, sleepiness-inducing weather. Jongdae hasn’t been able to make time for a short getaway, and so have I even if I want to because of our respective works.

          “You know we’re going to open our global office in Seoul soon, right?”

          I try not to widen my eyes on Mr. Tanaka’s opening speech. What am I going to be assigned to do? Am I going to Seoul for an event? For the opening?

          “…the CEO thinks you should be moved there. You’ll be an assistant manager in marketing. We aim for an end-of-spring opening. Just so you know… Sato Sayaka will be the head of the office.”

          I stay still for a whole five seconds, then blink twice. I break into the biggest smile ever, and jump a little on my seat.

          “…did you even listen to what I said?”

          “Yes. Loud and clear.”

          “You’ll have Sato Sayaka as your boss in the Seoul office.” he repeats.

          “Wonderful.” I reply instantly, catching the last two words only.

          Mr. Tanaka looks at me as if he’s questioning my sanity. “Well then, that’s it for now. You’re dismissed.”

          I dash to the rooftop direction once I get out from the department head office, and meet Mr. Kiseki at my unit’s entrance. “Hey. Heard you’re going to move to—”

          “Yes. Hands!”

          He raises both his palms expressionlessly, and I high-five him frantically. I continue running, and take out my phone once I’m at the rooftop.

          “Hello?” Jongdae’s voice is heard from the other end.

          “Hi. What are you doing?”

          “I’m on my way to Daejeon for work. And you?”

          “I’m taking a little break. Listen. How’s your preparations for your spring visit?”

          “To Japan? I haven’t done much, but soon I—”

          “Cancel it all.” I cut him.

          “What?”

          I give my widest smile to the phone, and tears well on my eyes because of how happy I am.

          “Because I’m going to you now.”