Two People

Picturing Spring

          I sit on the edge of the long table of a convenience store, behind the window facing the busy street around Namdaemun Night Market with empty eyes. After Myungdong we went around Dongdaemun, Apgujeong, and Cheongdam and by the time we reach here my legs gave up. Luckily it’s the last destination of the day, near our hotel.

          “Are you sure you don’t want some hot beverage?” Jongdae appears next to me holding a paper cup with steam flying on top, and glances at my water bottle on the table. I continue looking outside, at the light spring night rain hitting the people and vehicles.

          “I’m good.” my voice nearly disappears.

          “The itinerary is quite packed, after we tried going through it.”

          “But you look fine… I’m a certified homebody and I never knew field work was going to be… like this.”

          Jongdae laughs and sips his coffee. “You’ll get used to it.”

          I nod. “After the rain, let’s go around the market once.”

          The rain gradually dies down, and I’m walking towards the market with Jongdae behind me. “I’ve heard that we just have to treat this place like a maze.” I say, recalling an article. Jongdae is fixated on his camera, doing some setting. “You can go first.” I say, letting him walk in front of me.

          Since I’m way too full from tasting food all day, I try to find people buying food and ask Jongdae to take pictures of them holding it. After half an hour, I feel like I’ve been walking through at least five alleys of the market and even after the previous rain people still pack the place. Right, it’s Saturday night. I’m looking at every stalls and stores, absorbing the atmosphere and sometimes type texts in my phone in case I forget the chains of words I have inside my head.

          I have my head down with eyes locked on my phone screen as I type for awhile until I lift my head and realize there’s no one in front of me. I blink twice, and turn my head slightly to see the surroundings around me. Where is Kim Jongdae?

          I turn my whole body to see around in confusion. I can’t find him in this sea of people. Camera—try finding someone with camera on their neck. None. Dark green jacket? None nearby. Grey backpack?

          I close my eyes in exasperation. I haven’t exchanged numbers with Jongdae. I have his email but will he respond right away? I heave a deep sigh. I remember I had his business card, and I immediately sling my backpack to the front. Where is it, where is it—

          “Choi Nana-ssi!”

          That voice comes together with a touch on my shoulder, and I turn my head. Jongdae tries to hide his panting breath, and he swallows nervously.

          “Where were you?!”

          “I’m—I was looking for you. Oh my God. Where were you—well.” I zip back my bag. “We should have each other’s numbers.”

          “Agreed.” Jongdae scoffs. “Let’s continue.”

*

          It’s an hour past midnight when we arrive to the hotel, and we go straight to our rooms. I put my laptop on the table in one of the corners of the room and start making a draft of today’s destinations, with occasional yawns. I stop at Cheongdam area, forgetting the name of the key shops there. I stretch on my chair, hoping I could see the photos. I should ask for them to Jongdae before he falls asleep… But I don’t know his room. He’s in the same floor though.

          My head starts thinking of ways to acquire the photos when the doorbell rings. I open my eyes wide and dash to the door. I open it a bit too quickly, and Jongdae appears in a t-shirt, today’s pants, and clear horn-rimmed glasses on his face, holding a memory card. “Um… As promised, the photos.”

          I slip out a silent ‘wow’. “Thank you so much. I was just about to ask—where’s your room?”

          Jongdae points to the turn on the right side of my room. “921. In the end.”

          “Okay… Thanks.”

          He flashes a smile, and I close the door. Great timing. I run to my laptop grinning, and inserts the memory card. My face falls flat again when my screen pops out a window command I don’t understand relating to the card. I can’t open the files. I groan and rub my face. Really now?

          I tip toe for no reason through the corridor outside and catch the room number 921 from a few meters away. I take a deep breath and press the bell. Jongdae opens the door, and he looks like he’s already know who the guest is.

          “I’m sorry… I got some trouble.”

          He follows me to my room, and I bit my lip when he gets inside. I look around the room to make sure everything in sight is acceptable, and stay beside the table as Jongdae sits in front of my laptop.

          “Ah yes, it’s common for a first-time card in a device.” Jongdae skillfully hits the keyboard with his fingers, and soon the screen shows the files. “Here.”

          “Thank you so much.” I say as Jongdae gets up from his seat. “This is why I become a writer, computers are too confusing for me.”

          Jongdae laughs lightly. “I’m going back.”

          “Yeah. So sorry to bother you.”

          “No worries, I’m still editing something too.”

          I’m alone again, and face my laptop. I finally find the Cheongdam photos and naturally the things happened during the first day come to mind. Jongdae and I were both too afraid to go near the luxury shops since we thought we were going to be kicked out, and I was almost run over by a hoard of fangirls near an entertainment agency if not for Jongdae pulling me to a nearby alley and we waited for ten minutes there until the crowd thinned out.

          I realize I might have spent more time looking at the photos than writing, and I get back to typing.

*

          The second day is basically spent the same way as the first, still in Seoul. On the third day we’re going to Busan by train, and before the sun rises we’ve been aboard the train car. There are not many people on Monday morning and we originally sit side by side but since the two seats in front of us are empty, Jongdae moves to sit facing me.

          “Oh right, before I forget again, I’m going to ask you for your number. Could’ve just seen your business card but I left it at the hotel—I don’t want what happened in the market to repeat.”

          “Right.” Jongdae whips out his phone and lets me input my number first.

          “Thanks.” I say. “I think I’m going to sleep on the way there… I’ve been half-awake since a few days ago.”

          I end up finding difficulty to sleep, and Jongdae seems to be the same. He keeps yawning and tries sleep but he goes back wide awake again.

          After awhile, I decide to start a conversation. “How long have you been a photographer?”

          “Including the years I had it as a hobby, it’s been almost ten years.”

          “Wow.”

          “How did you become a writer?”

          “Um… I just really like books. Sounds cheesy, but I want to become a writer who moved the readers by what they write, just like those writers do to me. I think of being a writer like a very thoughtful and deep profession.”

          “That’s cool. I’m not an overly avid reader, but I try to read books in my spare time.”

          “I used to really treasure books. I thought I’ve achieved my dream—working in a publishing company, getting closer to be a writer… But now I think the magic is disappearing. I sometimes feel so dull. Age makes everything feels less romantic to me.”

          “Me too. I really liked it when people see and say something about my photos, like the emotion and feeling on them. I used to think of my photos that way too. But now it’s more like just a profession.”

          “Exactly.” I sigh. “I’ve even passed my half-fifty, I’m 26 now—” I catch a slight confused look in Jongdae’s eyes. “—even worse, I’m 27 here.”

          Jongdae grins. “It’s shifting now, it’s okay as long as you’re below thirty.”

          “Still.” I put my elbow next to the window. “Adulting .”

          “You don’t say.” Jongdae duplicates my posture and puts his head on his upper arm. He’s shooting a forlorn look to the view outside, and I unintentionally focus at his nose. His face is so effortlessly beautiful. I blink repeatedly, trying to get on my right mind.

          “I would like to read what you wrote.”

          I blink again. What did he say? “Um… Yes?”

          “What do you usually write?”

          “Everything, actually. But in terms of the ones that are published, there are only a few articles and essays. I have great interest in fiction so I’m currently trying to write a novel.”

          “Really? Wow. Can I read those?”

          “I think some of them are published online. But oh—they’re in Japanese.”

          Jongdae opens his mouth in a small ‘ah’ and we both laugh.

          “But as for the novel, I’m writing it in Korean. Maybe soon… You can read it.”

          Jongdae nods. “Good luck.”

          I smile and look to the vast green area outside showered by the morning sunlight. It’s been great working with him.