Through Words

Winter Passes and Flowers Bloom

It was around 11PM in Yongsun's apartment. Her sister had gone to visit their parents for a few days and the company had given them time to rest before they went into rehearsals for the New Year's Eve concert where the girls, as usual, intended to sing a medley. Since Byul's birthday was literally around the corner, the two of them had planned to go on a ski resort the next day, and Byul was now supposed to be here, with her stuff (and food as her door opener, of course), to sleep over that night.

 

After making quite a noisy entrance, with snow sprinkling her hair, -and visible snot running out of her nose-, Byul put her luggage in the living room and the bags containing the still warm tteokbokki and quite expensive tripe soup on the kitchen's counter. She got rid of the top layers of clothes she was wearing, scratched a very drowsy Jjing Jjing behind the ear as she passed by her basket, and went looking for her host, who was yet to be seen.

 

Quickly enough though, the soon to be 26 year-old found herself stuck in a doorway, leaned on her side, and incapable of looking away from the subject of her investigation. Self-awareness brought a sheepish smile to her face as she fully entered Yong's bedroom. You see, Yongsun had a habit of making very fascinating expressions when she was extremely focused, like right now. Before she could break her teeth on the pen she was holding, however (or maybe it was the pen that was actually at risk more than her teeth), Byul decided that action had to somehow take over contemplation. Shaking her head lightly and chuckling to herself, she came to sit next to Yongsun, who did not even shudder at this sudden human presence invading her personal space.

Byul's eyes immediately lingered on the girl's right profile: the clenching of her jaw that testified of her state of frustration; the elegant curve of her nose behind a chubby cheek, and the glasses that had started sliding their way down; the delicate mole above the corner of her eye... Even with her eyebrows frowned like that and the now indescribable colour of her hair, she looked incredible.

Byul sighed (contemplation was definitely stronger than she thought), cleared , and said:

 

'So, unnie, what is it you're torturing yourself about when you should be resting?'

 

For the first time since she had arrived, Yongsun seemed to acknowledge her presence, for she finally turned her face towards Byul, brows loosing up, eyes blinking, and lips slightly parted in a surprised expression.

 

'Byul-ah,' she finally managed to say, 'when did you get here?'

'I've been here for a while, actually,' Byul giggled. 'You were so engrossed in that that you didn't hear me at all. By the way, have you noticed you forgot to switch your light on?'

 

Yongsun's cheeks took on a discrete pink shade, out of embarrassment, but if Byulie noticed, she did not say anything. Her attention got drawn towards the clothes scattered on the floor, and the open suitcase near the closet, asking for only one thing: to be filled. She must have stopped packing when an idea had popped out. How many hours had she spent on her bed like that, doing whatever she was doing to the point of forgetting the daylight had already vanished? She went on:

 

'Tell me then, what is it you're working on with such passion?

 

Yongsun hesitated, as she often did when she was not sure if her ideas were worth it or not. Although, with Byul, she was rarely being judged negatively for anything she did.

 

'It's... well, it's a song. Or, at least, it tries to be. I don't really know anymore. I can't bring myself to complete it. And it's, arrh, so frustrating!' she added, while throwing the now miserably looking pen across the room.

 

Byul had seen it coming. Frustration builds up so quickly when you are trying to put your mind and emotions into intelligible words, but fail to do so. Gently, she grabbed the smaller girl's enraged wrist and slowly pulled on it, bringing it back to her lap, in order to calm her down. When it seemed to work, she moved closer, trying to peek at the sheet of paper, causing Yongsun's side to heat up a bit, due to their body proximity.

 

'What is it about?' she asked.

'It's about us,' Yong said in a whisper, still too focused on the warmth on her wrist to think straight.

'Sorry?'

 

Yongsun shook her head and took a deep breath. She looked like she was in front of a precipice, about to take a decisive step; her whole life depending on that moment.

 

'Us. The members... But, somehow, I want it to include all of our loved ones, and Moomoos too. I want to show gratitude to those I always neglect, y'know what I mean?'

 

Byul nodded, spacing out. She was thinking about her own family, and how she never managed to actually convey what she wanted to say, despite their undefeatable support and love during all these years. She was thinking about their maknaes, and how they always managed to make her life brighter even when she felt like . She was thinking about the fans, who made them who they were, no doubt about that... Lastly, she was probably thinking about Yongsun as well, about her wish to get closer, but without any idea how to do so, for they were already so close, and yet, something felt incomplete, just like these lyrics now. So many missed opportunities, so many dumb words said and stupid things done... She did not realise she had started to stare blankly at the window frame.

 

'Okay... Now I know you're no longer listening to me', Yongsun noticed, half-offended, half-amused.

'Oh, sorry. My mind went wandering.'

'You don't say.'

 

Byul discarded her sell romantic thoughts, wishing to fully pay attention to the current issue.

 

'Erh, so, what have you come up with for now?'

'Well,' Yongsun started, 'I tried to picture us through a poetic imagery, but so far, all I've got is the chorus and this recurring “Star, Wind, Flower, Sun”. But I really want to keep it and, like, develop these elements. I want it to be felt.'

 

To her surprise, Byul's reaction was not to think of something to add to her own words. Rather, she was just simply... smirking, like an idiot.

 

'What? What is it with you?'

'Star?' she asked, smirking even more.

'Yes. Star. What? Why are you grinning, you stupid hamster face?' she asked as she poked her cheek, for proof of the “stupid hamster face” denomination.

'It's just... It's me, right?'

 

Yongsun closed her eyes. She left out a very long, desperate sigh, trying her best not to hit her yet. If yoga had taught her a thing (and she would forever be thankful to Nayoung unnie for suggesting it to her), it was that you should always keep a cool head in every situation. Although, she had to admit, proud Byulie was definitely cute to witness. But still annoying as hell!

 

'Yes, silly, I told you, it's about us... and our loved ones.'

'I know, I know, but you did put my name first!' she said with much cockiness.

 

Oh, the grease! Yongsun blinked several times and almost wanted to pinch herself, for she did not want to believe it. Did she know a limit at all?

 

'Well, aren't you just so full of yourself right now?' she asked with a small laugh. 'I mean, I put all three of you in birth order, and myself last out of decency, but you're still trying to make it a thing!'

 

Byul's unnerving smile suddenly fell off her face and quickly turned into a very convincing pout. Like that, she looked like a puppy that had just been scolded, its ears falling flat on its head.

 

'How cruel!' she cried. 'So, I take it I'm not first in your heart after all. I feel so hurt right now!' she said, setting a dramatic hand on her forehead, head pulled back and eyes half-closed.

 

But Yongsun did not seem to catch the joke.

 

'Well, I love all three of you without discrimination, Byul,' she said with a pained expression.

'I know, I know unnie... I was just pulling your leg,' Byul added, squeezing Yonsun's shoulder to reassure her.

 

Even after she had removed her hand and got her mind back to the sheet of paper with the lyrics, the spot felt warm for what seemed a long time. A comfortable silence fell between them and Yong's eyes started scanning the room, instinctively. They stopped on her Ryan plush, which was firmly settled in a corner, beyond the mess she had made on the floor. She remembered the day when they had filmed one of their Yongkong Byulkong episodes here. It was the day they talked about that absurd nth fight they had been into. She had maintained her grip strong on Ryan back then, to avoid crushing Byul's bones into a guilty hug instead. Although they had made up, she always felt like she had not shown her that she was more important than all their stupid bickering. Properly. Truly. She wanted Byul to look at her. She wanted to tell her she could only shine when she was here with her, because out there, on her own, deprived of Byul's scent or touch, she felt hopeless. She wished she could always stay right here: safe arms to lock into, sincere smiles to take shelter from the rain. Wherever, whenever, to be with her, like that.

She left another long sigh out. 'Well, you do take the first out of anyone else though,' she thought... or maybe she just said it out loud. That was what Byul's expression of utter shock seemed to convey, at least.

 

'I mean,' she started abruptly, trying to think of something intelligent to say and making big gestures with her arms, 'You're Byulkong, and I'm Yongkong... We're like an item or something and... well, you're really important to me. It's nothing new, you know it. I already told you... I mean, I shouldn't have to tell you... I mean, you should know without having me telling you. But... but this song, well, it's precisely because I'd like to say how I feel more. To say we'll always breathe under the same sky, sharing a cloud or cheesy stuff like that. So, yes, maybe these words should reach out to you anyway and... and... that's it. Arh, it's so weird, having to say those things.'

 

She had rushed her nonsensical speech, out of extreme embarrassment, and so, the last thing she had expected was Byul's reaction to be an uncontrollable laughter, which had her terribly upset, if she were to be honest, but the feeling disappeared at once when Byul pulled her into a hug.

 

'Byul-ah,' Yong started, as she slowly melted in that clumsy embrace, face buried in the other's shoulder.

'It's okay,' Byul interrupted her, rubbing circles on her back.

 

After a few seconds, -or maybe it was a minute, or more, for what they knew-, the youngest finally pulled back. Once again, she could not look at her in the eyes, which, out of every bad habit Byul could have, annoyed Yong the most. Her cheeks were so red now.

 

'I'm the same... You're really important to me too,' she finally managed to say, breathless.

'I know. You proved that over and over. I can tell just by seeing the way you look at me. You worry too much though. Sometimes, it's like you think I'm going to disappear all of a sudden. But I'm not, Byulie. I'm not going anywhere. I'm not leaving you.'

 

Funny how some words destined to others can sound like the ones we really want to hear, sometimes. But Yong was not always that honest when it came to self-awareness.

Byul had kept her face down, determined not to look up, for if she did, she would certainly start to cry and it was something she definitely wanted to avoid at the moment. She felt a soft hand cup her cheek, and Yong's soothing voice calling for her.

 

'Byul-ah, look at me. Please.'

 

She finally raised her eyes, and inevitably, pearl-like tears started filling them. Words certainly did not come easy when it came to the both of them, but when they reached out, they hurt like hell. 'Listen to me.' 'Can you see me?' 'Can you hear me?' 'Times we spent together; memories we built together.' 'You can cry if you want to.' 'Will you be there, always?' 'You probably don't know how much I like you.' Words. Devouring. Harrowing. Cutting, like knives on thin skin. And at the same time, they held on the quality to mend their stinging hearts and hesitant minds, as if those words echoed their souls. As if they had a will on their own, not to stop until they had breached through, piercing flesh and grinding bones, running through their veins and entangling their entire beings to each other. Nothing could break this connection, neither today, nor ever. Hearts do not always reach, but words can help.

 

They were now both incapable of looking away, gazing at each other like they were about to dive into each other's pupils. Their faces were so close they could hear both their heartbeats loud and clear. Byul gulped, cold sweat sparkling on her forehead.

 

'Yong,' she breathed out, between her lips.

'Yes, Byul?' Yongsun answered, on the same tone.

'Do you mind if...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

...if I write some lines for this song too?'

 

 

Ever heard of the best ways to break the tension? Well, that was certainly one of the most perfect renditions of it. Yongsun had expected something else, to be honest. Anything else, actually. Now, she was blushing more than ever, realising the position they had found themselves in, and the fact that she was maybe craving for something like that all along. Yet, she held on the sweetest smile.

 

'Of course not!' she said, enthusiastically. 'Nothing would make me happier!'

 

Well, she could think of something, of course. But they had time. They had so much time. She was thankful for the fact that they could look at each other, now, on a night like this. Really though, it was Byul's birthday and she still was the one offering.

 

'Thank you, Byul,' she said.

 

And it seemed like they had reached out.