1/2

Silver Lights

It is a few hours before the sun sets and the scene of the people, mostly students, desperately wanting to have a ride to go home after a long day of work or at school can be seen on the street. Students with their backpacks, women carrying multiple grocery bags on both hands, middle aged men wearing suits having a phone call, and other kinds of people waiting for the bus to arrive is the only view Yixing has been watching from the moment he sat on the bus stop. He also need to go somewhere by this time but he decided to stay for a while and not to join the crowded bus.

It was not too long when the rain started to pour vividly. People became alarmed, rushing to find a shield to avoid getting wet. Some used their bags to cover their heads. Some got their umbrellas out. Luckily for Yixing, he brought his umbrella with him. However, his white button up polo, fitted black slacks, blank leather shoes and his well-fixed hair did not match the weather. He stands up and let out a heavy sigh.

“It’ll end soon.” He prayed to himself as he watch the raindrops from the bus stop’s shield touch his palm.

He look around and he noticed that the number of people on the bus stop lessen, but his attention was caught by someone who took his seat. Fortunately, the one next to it is vacant. He slowly and silently take a sit beside the girl who’s wearing a white dress with long sleeves, looking blankly to the ground which he assume that she will cry in a few seconds. Her straight, brownish hair blocking a clear view of her expression to Yixing. Nevertheless, he knows who she is.

“What a tough day, huh?” He said as he try to offer his handkerchief to her hand. He waited for her to respond but she just look at him in the corner of her eyes.

“It’s only been two weeks. What they did was cruel! Didn’t you know how to fight back?” He ranted. “Lucky for you I was there to save you but you just walked out. Is that how you say ‘thank you’ from your hometown?” he chuckled.

She look at him with dismay, “I’m sorry—“her voice trembled. “And thank you for what you did earlier. I don’t know how to repay you.”

“Any snack from the convenient store. I’m not that picky.” He smiled. “I’m Yixing by the way. You’re Allison right?”

“Allie” She corrected. “Just Allie.”

“Okay, Allie-- just Allie” He laughed. He stares at her for a moment, trying to remember every inch of her face; the curve of her lips, her sparkling eyes, her rosy cheek, her glowing skin as the rays of the sunlight flash her feature. He can still feel himself flushing when he looks at her, and wonder how she can do that to him. For him it’s unfair. “You really love to relive that first time we talk to each other here on this bus stop.” Yixing said, eyes still glued on her.

“Of course.” She smiled. “That’s how everything started. It’s my favorite moment with you.” Allie watch how Yixing’s smile become wider. His dimple on his right cheek, which she love to poke with her finger, pops out adding a charm on his innocent and lovely smile. She notice him blush to her words, reminding her that the sparks is still there. “Happy 4th anniversary.” Allie said, her excitement didn’t hide her expression.

                                                                       * * * * *

Their story begins eight years ago. Yixing confesses his love after four years of friendship.

Those moments for the past eight years are still fresh from their memories like it only happened a few minutes ago. Among those countless times they been together, Allie always wanted to go back to the time when her and Yixing, who has a fresh bruise below his lips, on the bus stop and officially became friends. Yixing’s voice saying “I’ll be there if you need me” still echoes to her ears. From that day, she knew that she met the person who will stay on her side no matter what.

Coming from a different country, it’s not a secret that Allie is having a hard time coping up with the new environment in Korea. The culture is different from what she used to, she’s having a hard time learning the language (she only knows the basic) but luckily she went to an international school and all students speak English, and she’s getting into trouble because of simple things. Instead of helping, her classmates took the advantage of her weaknesses. The first two weeks in college seems lasted a year for Allie. She always went home with bruises neither on her arms or legs. She sometimes having an emotional breakdown because of the harsh words thrown to her by her classmates, especially the girls.

Having a soft spot to the people being bullied, Yixing didn’t hesitate to stand before Allie to the students who are giving her a hard time. He himself also experienced the same thing in high school. Little did Allie knows, Yixing already gave them a warning from the moment the bullying started. But it only lends the bullies to become more jealous of her knowing that one of the most popular guy on their school is on her side. After a week, the mean girls went a little too far for having some guys be involve on a prank they’re planning for Allie. Fortunately for her, Yixing was there but it end up with a fist fight. Until now, Allie didn’t know why she run away after that.

* * * * *

It took a month or two for the bullies to stop bothering and hurting Allie. Her body and mind can now adjust to the environment and culture she living and she can now go home without any burden. Yixing really help her a lot, from the bullies to learning the language, knowing the do’s and don’ts and everything. Allie made a few friends on their school but her friendship with Yixing grew further.

Their differences made the others question their friendship. They may both taking Communications in same collage but Yixing was on his junior year majoring Media Production and was part of the basketball team; Allie was a first year student planning to major Journalism and was wanting to be part of the school newspaper. Yixing was known to be outspoken and enjoys socializing and being part of a large group; Allie may find it hard to express herself to people and prefers to be alone in a park with book accompanying her. He always on the court playing basketball as he watch the crowd cheering for him; she often seen at the library writing articles. Yixing may pick chips and sodas for a snack; but Allie will contradicts it with fruits, yogurts, and water. Every girl in their school wants to date the star player of the basketball team; the boys did not find the writer attractive. He listens to Blink-182; she sings along with Adele. These differences never blocked their way to become closer than they imagine. In fact, they really enjoy each other’s company. There was never a dull moment when they are together. They could talk in a whole day if there’s a chance. Other people who barely know them may think that the two were a couple.

* * * * *

Despite of being expressive, Yixing manage to keep a secret to himself. Allie thought Yixing tells her everything to him like his problems about his family, his struggle on balancing school works and basketball, and the girls who won’t leave him alone. But one thing that Allie missed is that Yixing likes her more than just a friend.

Yixing didn’t know how it started, all he knows that it suddenly happened. He misses her if they don’t talk because of their busy schedule. He wanted to be see her at least once a day. He wants to know about her day. He feels irritated if she talks about her happy crush. There are butterflies on his stomach whenever they touch. Yixing tries to brush off his feelings knowing that it’s just a phase and it will eventually fades away after graduating.

When the school starts without the presence of Yixing around the campus, Allie feels like it’s her first day in the university all over again. The atmosphere is unfamiliar but not strange; unprotected yet safe. She misses the Chinese guy who’s randomly puts his arm around her shoulder whenever they met in campus. She can no longer play who mispronounce Korean words the most, where one will flick a finger on the other’s head if s/he lose (Ironically, Yixing never won the game). Now, no one calls her to be the first one to watch his short film before submitting it to the professor. Her “walking diary” is no longer around and it feels like a huge chunk of her life is taken away from her.

Yixing had the opportunity to work on a local network where he started as a production staff. Allie became the Editor-In-Chief of the school newspaper and been preparing for her graduation. Regardless of their busy schedule, they still manage to keep in touch. Exchanging messages every now and then. Video calling if their work load forces them to stay up all night. Inviting her to have lunch or dinner if he visited his school. Allie always looking forward to these since Yixing is the only person she’s comfortable expressing herself and opens up to everything; from ranting about her professor who never comes to class but gave multiple school works, to that student who “insulted” her outfit one time.

* * * * *

Yixing became exposed and socialized to different kinds of people due to his work. Allie knows that he been to dates and she always been supportive to it. She even secretly congratulates the lucky girl for fitting on Yixing’s standards, and Yixing too for finally joining the dating game. Because he never lose his good looks and charming personality, there is still a sea of girls wanting to date him. This is where Allie meddle by creating a list on who is hot and who is not. But for Yixing, after casually dating two different girls, Allie is still the only person on his list.

As for Allie, dating is way ahead of her. There are a few guys wanting to ask her out since they started to notice her beauty but they never tried. Some may feel intimidated because of her achievements. Their fear is not meeting her standards. But most of them thought that her door is close because of Yixing. Allie just laugh every time she was ask about their romantic relationship with Yixing. She always defense that they are just best friends and nothing more to avoid misunderstanding. However, there are times that she imagine herself dating her best friend. It makes her happy, she blushes, and she’s overwhelms with excitement. Sometimes she wishes that Yixing could see her more than just a friend. It may sometimes hurt that her simple wish may not come to reality, but as long as she see Yixing very now and then, and he kept his promise for being there if she need him, she is happy.

It took a lot of thinking before Yixing finally decided to confess what he truly feels to Allie. Days after Allie’s graduation, Yixing carrying the fear of losing his best friend after confessing, ask her on a date. It took him months to prepare his guts to admit his feelings but it only took a second for Allie to agree on dating him.

* * * * *

It’s been an advantage to Yixing that he’s dating his best friend because he already knows Allie’s ideal date. Thought she didn’t directly share what she wants for a date to Yixing, but he got hints on the stories Allie made. He’s thankful that she let him read her piece first before publishing it to her blog. Most of her story always have scenes where the characters go to places where they can watch the stars or there’s fireworks. Some may have singing along during road trips. Yixing sometimes teases Allie that her are food, music, and stars. Allie always fire back with his short film themes, which a bit similar to her stories.

Even though Yixing already have those hints and he mentally plan his first date with Allie from the moment he realized he likes her, the feeling of something might go wrong lingers. Allie feels excited yet anxious. For her, this is not just an ordinary day with her best friend. This is special. This is the start of a new chapter in her life with Yixing and the scenes are unknown. It’s time to take another leap.

* * * * *

Everytime they hangout, Allie always came from work and she just wear whatever she wearing on the day. But on their first date, she brought an extra outfit to change. She have this floral dress she bought before but she never wore. She been thinking to wear it on a special occasion and she know that now is the right time. She pair it with an oxford and her army green string jacket. She don’t usually put makeup and just let her hair down. Now she puff a little powder, blusher and lipstick. She also styled her hair with a half ponytail.

Yixing prepared everything ahead of time. He already reserved seats (and double checked it) to their favorite steakhouse restaurant. He already printed the movie tickets they’re going to watch, which Allie been looking forward to see the moment its trailer came out. He polished and washed his car he’ll be using to pick-up Allie.

At first the atmosphere was unusually yet they feel comfortable. It broke down when Allie turn on the stereo on Yixing’s car and started singing. Yixing just smile to the fact that Allie just carelessly sing to his playlist, that even though she loves ballad songs, she knows every word on a pop rock. She even do air guitars and drums. Things like these make Yixing’s heart fluttered. He can watch Allie do that every day if he can.

Everything seems normal but of course there’s a little changes. When they walk together, Yixing can now intertwine his hand to Allie’s hand. Allie can feel her whole body tingling every time he rub his thumb on the back of her hand. When watching a movie, Yixing can now stretch he’s arm around Allie’s shoulder for her to rest her head on it.

* * * * *

It’s always a “date” for Allie every time she’s with Yixing because she’s happy and time stops when they’re together. She don’t care if they just in one’s house and eat random food while watching a movie, or just talking about non sense conversation. As long as she’s with the person she love, it’s always a special day for her.

Though Allie haven’t express it to Yixing through words. Saying I love you was a bit hard for her. It is something that you cannot just say to anybody, that somebody should deserve those words from her. It’s not that she don’t think Yixing is that person, for her he’s perfect. She just worried if it’s too soon. Yixing might not feel that way yet.

Yixing always wanted to bring Allie on this place near the town he grew up with. It’s on open area near a cliff with a breathtaking view of the city and where millions of stars shine the brightest. He knows how much Allie love this place. So when Allie first step on the place, she looks like a kid who been to Disneyland for the first time. With an overwhelming feeling, Allie throw his arms around Yixing for a hug unexpectedly and whisper the words she been dying to saying.

“I love you so much”

Those words feels music to his ears with a tingling sensation on his body. He can feel his face getting red and his cheeks started to hurt from smiling. Yixing hugged her tighter before pulling Allie off to look at her face.

“I love you too.”

* * * * *

Unlike other couples they know, they don't like celebrating the special holidays every month for couples. Allie thought it was too cheesy and cliché. They don't have to follow the trend just to say they really are a couple. As for Yixing, those things are only for Koreans. Since both of them don't have Korean blood, it'll be weird if they celebrate it. It will be unfair for their own nationality. However, a part of them still think those gestures from those holidays are sweet. It's one way to appreciate each other and to show their affection. Trying not to be obvious to the other party, they "secretly" give gifts and do the activity on the holiday in a unique way.

Last January during "Diary Day" Allie gave a customized journal to Yixing instead of an empty one. The journal includes the special days they had together, photos from Yixing's Polaroid, poems, short stories, and letters written by Allie. She only have one rule for that journal: not to read it in just one seating. Allie put bookmarks to curtain pages indicating a specific time and day on when to read it.

On Valentine’s Day when every girl buys chocolate for their boyfriend, Allie buys every food and snacks that Yixing like and eat it with him. Though for Allie, Yixing have the weirdest taste buds. He sometimes mixed nacho cheese powder and barbeque powder on a popcorn, puts Ketchup on a cracker and deeps it on an orange juice or mixing gravy and ketchup together for his fried chicken. Yixing did the same thing one month after on White Day, even though he hates ceasar salad and Greek yogurt.

On Yellow day, Yixing leaves a long steam of white rose on Allie’s door steps, to her desk on her office and that the end of the day, he will surprisingly show up to her office to pick her up and give her the third rose.

They kiss on Hug day and hug on Kiss day. Drink Soju on Wine day. Instead of walking on a park on Green day, they’ll have a road trip with Yixing’s Green Day play list on the stereo.  

* * * * *

“Let’s go.” Yixing said as one bus slows down to the bus stop.

“Where to?” Allie asked.

“To our little haven.” He smiled.

There only a few people on the bus. They smile when they saw that there are not people at the back of the bus. The seat on the left corner at the back of the bus is their favorite spot. Yixing could seat on the window side with Allie next to him, head resting on his shoulder and their hands intertwined. Often times, both of them can be seen sleeping with their heads lending to each other and eventually walking up on their destination. But Yixing prefers for them to listen to some songs on one’s phone and share the same earphones, where they both sing along to it. He remembers that one bus ride when they listen to Elton John’s Something About The Way You Look Tonight” he looks at Allie and sings the chorus. The song compliments his feelings at that moment that by just looking at her making him breathless.

That this time, “When We were Young” by Adele is playing on Yixing’s phone. He smile, remembering that time Allie told him that even though it’s a break-up song, the first few lines reminds her of him:

 ‘cause you feel like home - Allie feel warm, cozy and comfrotable whenever they are together. Even she’s miles away from her hometown, she still feels at home on Yixing’s arms.

You like a dream come true – She just imagining herself being with him and now she can finally say that Yixing is hers.

You sound like a song – Yixing’s voice is music to her ears. It makes her feel calm, it makes her feel safe.

After arriving on the small town nearby the city, Yixing found a flower shop and buys a bouquet of white roses, which Allie’s favorite. Allie wide smile shows that she appreciate how lovely the arrangement is. Yixing thought the roses glows perfectly like his girlfriend.

Yixing used to live in this town. Their house still look the same as the last time he was here, but now he feels lonely for not seeing his Nainai (grandmother) inside. His uncle is now living in this house.

dàye, can I use the pick-up truck tonight?” Yixing asked after taking a sip of coffee.

“Sure.” He replied. “Going on the side of the cliff tonight?”

“yeah” He showed a weak smile.

“Be careful, OK?” he said, worried.

“I’ll be find. Don’t worry.”

* * * * *

Once they arrived at the place, Allie went out and immediately sit on the back of the truck. She watch the lights twinkle before her eyes as she wait for Yixing to accompany her.

“Do you have the journal that I gave to you?” Allie asked.

“Of course!” Yixing wave the journal on his before sitting on the back of the truck and put the journal between them.

“You been reading it lately?” She asked again.

“Trying not to.” His voice shakes a little.

“It’s okay.” Allie bite her lower lips before talking again. “uhm… Read something new?”

“I’ve read all the parts that you said to read when I miss you.” He chuckled. “Have you added something new?”

Allie just look a deep breath as she look at Yixing smiling.

The cliff have the breathtaking view of the city is the only place where they both find their sweet escape from the vicious world in the city. Allie knows well that this place with the city lights from afar and the silver lights on the sky witness every moment they spend together. Their first kiss (it still lingers on her lips), that time Yixing cried about his grandmother and how she comforted him, their first fight, and the time when they both promised to spend their life together.

Yixing love this place since Allie shows her emotional and sentimental side whenever they’re here. He still remembers the first time he brought Allie to this place and she cried, the view overwhelms her fragile heart. This is where Allie wrote some of her poems and recite it to him. Sometimes they just talk and cuddle as they watch the stars and the city lights after them. Allie always compliment how beautiful and magical the view from the cliff but for Yixing, she’s the most beautiful scenery he have seen.

“woah. I’m still getting goosebumps.” Allie said, looking at the scene with fascination “I’m so glad that you took me to this place.”

“I know you’ll love this place.”

“But you know I love you more.” Allie wink at him.

“I know, sweetie” Yixing smiled, admiring how adorable Allie is.

Still captivated by the view, Yixing let Allie to talk “God! Look how big the city is. You know what, I sometimes wonder how we just met certain people and they just become part of your life. I mean we are surrounded by strangers, yet it’s a mystery on how you can still find a person that will stays on your side no matter what.” Silent fill the atmosphere for a while. Yixing looks at Allie as she looks at the roses he bought for her sits in front of her. “You know I really believe in destiny. There’s one person who is meant for us. Someone who will protect you. Someone who will love you for being you. Someone who will make you feel the most important person in the world—“

Eventually, Yixing’s phone beeps for a notification. He look at Allie saying sorry for the interruption it cause. Allie just smile and gesture that it’s fine to check it.

“Someone who will text you on this kind of moment” Allie jokingly said. “It’s fine. Go check it. It might be important.”

She lifting her head towards to see Yixing reply on the text she received. “Who’s that?” Allie asked

“It’s Crystal.” He said, still texting.

“Same Crystal from that party? That Crystal who been flirting with you? Like when you say something that is not that funny, she laughs and pinches you on your arm with her hand, which I know a lowkey move just to feel you biceps. That—“

“You jealous?” Yixing interrupted and smirked as he put his phone back to his pocket.

“No I’m not.” Allie rolled her eyes and he let out a little laugh.

“Don’t worry!” He said in a light mood. “You’re the only one woman in my life.”

As the silence covers their atmosphere, they both look at each other. Yixing wants to lead in and give Allie a kiss but she started talking.

“But babe, if you have to look for another woman, let’s say soon if that’s what is destined to you, just don’t pick any other girl. Pick someone like me okay? You know, someone who will support you no matter what. Someone you can spoil with love and not with material things. Someone you can rely on if you’re having a difficult time, and someone who will love you for being how you are and be with you for the rest of your life. Someone who can make you happy”

“Hey! You’re talking non-sense.” Yixing fake a laugh. He’s trying to contain the pain he’s feeling inside.

Allie just continue as if she didn’t heard him. “And that girl should be beautiful. As in really beautiful. You know, someone who can match you good looks. Who can dress nicely and fashionable. So that every time you guys have a date people will say that you’re a one hot couple.”

 “Allie, even though you’re covered with garbage and metals I still love you.” Yixing chuckled.

“Yixing! Can you please take this seriously?” Allie took a deep breathe before talking again. “And of course, find someone who can appreciate how over-protective you are and can stand your weird cravings. If she eats a cracker with ketchup that you made and still love you after that, she’s the one.”

“What if I don’t want to?” Yixing voices cracks. Allie felt that her heart breaks when she look at his face. The face she used to see was bubbly and bright and happy but now he looks miserable and depressed.

“Yixing. What did I told before?” Allie said, trying to lighten Yixings mood.

“You want me to be happy.”

“Then you have to move on.” Allie said. “You know it will eventually happened. Your world will not stop just because—“

“Just because what? Just because you died?” Allie look at him with full shock. “Allie, why it seems that this—this situation is easy for you. Do you have any idea how devastated and miserable I am when you left me? I can’t eat. I can’t sleep. I’M LIFELESS. There’s no point of waking up every morning because you’re not there to be with me anymore.” Yixing feels frustrated that he wanted to scream and kick something but instead, he just stands up, started walking around, kicking the pebbles on the ground and cried. “Allie, I love you so much and you know that. You are my life. I did everything for you stay with me for life but isn’t that enough? Did I do something wrong? Why you have to leave me too soon? That is so unfair.”

It was heart cancer that took Allie away from Yixing. After discovering that she have the disease, Allie’s family flew to Korea and took care of her. Yixing was forced to work more time to earn money for Allie’s treatment. The hospital became Yixing’s home because of Allie. But after selling most of Allie’s parents' property for the treatments, Allie’s condition become more severe.

“I know. I’m sorry.” Allie said.

“You know the reason why I don’t want to read your journal anymore is because it’s the only way I know that you can become real. And the more I read those letters you wrote, those photos we have the more I want you back. And it hurts that it won’t happened no matter how much I pray—Allie, I miss you so much. I really really miss you.”

“Hey, Yixing… Babe. Can you please stop crying? You know I don’t want you to cry.” Yixing stands still as he feel Allie’s arms hugging him from the back. He suddenly feel calm and warm. He miss that feeling. He wishes the time will stop and be right there forever.

“I’m sorry if I cannot find anyone else. All I want is you—“

“Shhh… Listen to me Yixing. I miss you too. A lot. But look at this way, I died peacefully because I was on your arm. You know, not because I’m gone doesn’t mean you have to give up everything. You have to move on and start again. Don’t let this stop you for not fulfilling our dreams. Remember, the house and our 3 children? You will be fine Yixing. You will be fine.” Allie hugged him tighter. Eventually, a strong wind blows to the place and Yixing cannot feel Allie’s arms around him anymore. He got worried, he feel anxious. He looked around for Allie but his eyes stuck on Allie’s journal sitting on the back of the truck. The last time he open it was on Allie’s funeral when he read some of the poem she wrote on her neurological service. He gets the journal and open it to a random page. Allie slip her last letter on that journal before she dies but apparently, Yixing didn’t know about it. Until now. The letter drops on Yixing’s lap. He opens it and notice that her hand writing was different. It’s one evident that the diseases made her body weaker.