Chapter 3

The painter's house - Taegi

Somehow,the morning didn't take long to come.Jin woke up to the sounds of birds chirping happily outside,opening his eyes a little bit,before nuzzling into his pillow.He definitely wasn't ready to get up from his comfortable bed and face the day.Yesterday,after Namjoon's little check-up visit,Jin was actually so shaken from the information that he didn't dare go to sleep just yet.Even though nothing much happened (ghost-related),besides from a few sounds here and there,it seemed like Jin felt more awake than ever before.Be it the moving,the encounter with his new crush,or even the fact that he was pretty much living in a haunted house,it took a lot of effort to finally go to the dreamland.

Half a hour later,and having encouraged himself to get up, Jin was sipping from his warm coffee while scrolling through some apps on his phone.It was taking him a lot not to fall asleep right on the table,just as a sleepy Jungkook appeared from his bedroom.The younger yawned loudly while running a hand through his tangled hair,finally making his way to the kitchen's counter so as to prepare some breakfast.Silence is the word that could describe the room's mood,as Jungkook was savouring the cereal that he had just prepared.

"Any more appearances from the ghost yesterday?", Jin asked,initiating a conversation.He knew it was a pointless thing to ask,but he couldn't help himself.

"Just a few weird sounds,nothing more."

Jin continued sipping from his coffee which by now turned cold.He got up from his seat,going to the coffee's machine so as to fill another cup.He was sure he needed pretty much around five cups of coffee,otherwise he wouldn't be able to cover the lost hours of sleep.While filling up his cup,he made the mistake to raise his head up and look outside from the kitchen's window.There was his new handsome neighbour,seeming like he was locking his house's door.He was probably going to the work he mentioned the previous night.God,he was so damn perfect,the sun doing magic tricks on his face,illuminating him.Jin stood for a while next to the counter,admiring what he was seeing.Namjoon however,seemed to notice him as he waved at him,smiling.Panicking,Jin waved back,embarrassed that he was caught staring.Jungkook -that bastard- unfortunately had been watching the whole sceen unfolding in front of him.Even though it was obvious even from the oldest's behavior yesterday,Jungkook couldn't help but laugh at his friend's reaction.

Jin finally turned around,seeming a bit angry despite the fact that his cheeks were like tomatoes.

"Yah,i'm not sitting with you here",Jin said,while taking his cup of coffee,going to the living room.Jungkook however,didn't bother to stop him or even apologize to him,as he kept munching his cereal.

While in the living room, Jin luckily managed to find his beloved guitar in the sea of boxes they had brought when they moved in yesterday.He happily started strumming on his guitar while humming a tune that just came to him.It seemed like this house had magic powers or something.After so many days,he finally felt inspired enough to do something that involves art.Without thinking much about it,he continued playing,a smile on his face.

 

                                                                                                                      ✽

It was the door knocking that interrupted Jin's precious music-time.Putting down his guitar,he went to answer the door,fixing his hair a bit.

"Oh hey!I'm sorry if im interrupting you-it was you playing the guitar,wasn't it?" ,the visitor smiled,kind of shy.

Namjoon had the most amazing smile he had ever seen.He could get lost in his smile,his cute dimples.Jin gladly,didn't take long enough to reply to him this time.He was kinda getting trained to this,wasn't he?

"Uhm yes,it was me.Ehh.. i'm sorry if i bothered you with my playing.I didn't intend on playing that many hours after all.I think i got carried away",Jin answered him,swearing himself on the inside.Did he just make a bad impression on his handsome neighbour?Oh god,he hoped he hadn't.

"No!No,i don't mind you playing the guitar.Its quite the opposite,might i say..uhm i came here for the story i told you about yesterday?" Namjoon announced,while being a nervous wreck.Did he come on a right moment?He swore he actually wasn't that ready he thought he was previously.

It took Jin a moment to finally catch on what Namjoon was saying.It finally clicked in his head,that he was in a new house,after all.

"Oh yes,you can come inside.Let me tell Jungkook to come down"

"Actually,i was thinking about going to a local cafe,near the university.You know,get familiar with the place and all.."

"Hmm,i don't really mind.Besides,i don't think i could handle listening to the story in here" Jin said,laughing a bit.While deep inside,he knew that he was going to be in some serious later.Both story-wise and Namjoon-wise.Why the had he and Jungkook agreed to this?Oh yes,it was Jungkook's idea.How wonderful.

"Jungkook,stop playing that game on your pc,and come down!" he shouted,hoping his voice was heard upstairs.Jungkook finally came out of his cave looking a bit confused.That was until he saw Namjoon.

"Are you here for the story?Oh god,i wasn't ready,i didn't sleep all night for this!"

Jin tried not to roll his eyes.He definitely couldn't explain the youngest's weird enthusiasm,but he let it pass.Having grabbed their jackets and keys from the hall,they made it outside.

 

                                                                                                                        ✽

After what seemed like hours,the boys finally arrived to the cafe Namjoon had described.Thankfully,there weren't that many people,apart from a few students who were apparently working on some project.The cafe seemed like a quiet place,really appealing when most of the places in the city were all about having fun,in this case,clubs.Even though Jin and Jungkook didn't mind these kind of places,a small and peaceful cafe would be nice once in a while.

Having checked the place out,the three of them went to sit in a table further in the room,close to the window.The sun had seemingly set,and the sky was beginning to turn a dark color.After having their drinks ordered and served,they were left staring awkwardly at each other.Jin went to drink from his warm chocolate,not wanting to look at Namjoon any longer.

"Well,we are all ears",Jungkook finally broke the ice,smiling from ear to ear.Namjoon laughed at him,coughing a shy cough.

"Right,that's what we are here for", he replied.To be honest,he didn't know what to actually tell them.The story was told to him from a really old-looking man, when he first moved into his house,which in this case was across from the painter's house.During his first night,his much needed sleep was interrupted from cries.He thought it was nothing serious,until the following morning he learned that he was living across a haunted house.Namjoon really wanted to move out again,not liking the idea of staying any longer in that place.Not that he was feeling scared,but the idea wasn't much appealing.But,after learning what the famous love couple went through,he stayed out of respect.Since he always was a romantic,the story undoubtedly touched his heart.And mind,might i add.

"I think i should take you back to 1895",he finally said,smiling.Jungkook grinned,while Jin stayed quiet,ready to listen to what Namjoon was about to tell them.

 


 

1895,Daegu

The wind was blowing from the open window into Taehyung's room,moving the white curtains around gracefully.An easel with a blank paper was in front of him,ready to be painted on.Having grown up in a loving household,a bit more liberal than usual,Taehyung was introduced to the world of art in a early age.He often catches himself reminiscing about his first time actually painting something,that wasn't just lines out of order or even a stick-man.He always finds himself laughing when he remembers his 5-year-old self trying to draw something decent,without a result despite all his efforts.Despite getting unmotivated,he never gave up.He soon realized that his dream was painting.And he was willing to go after it,no matter the consequenses.

Taehyung's family luckily noticed their son's talent and will soon.Although it was really rare-and kind of disapproving- for someone to love arts in that century and actually go for it,Taehyung didn't even give it a second thought.This was what he loved to do,and maybe he was born for it.

His family was known for their liberal thoughts and actions,somehow stigmatized in the community.It seemed like everything they did was wrong and too open-minded for people's liking.People's ideas and behavior was conservative,contrary to his family.

Soon enough,his family gave him the chance to study arts,in a well known university.Taehyung was over the moon when his parents announced their decision,at some dinner they had.

"How about study in a university,Tae?" ,his dad asked him when Taehyung had been explaining to them what made him draw a specific painting,earlier that night.

Taehyung's eyes widened comically,not actually believing what he was hearing."Oh my god,yes,yes,yes!",he hastily got up from his seat,proceeding to hug his parents.

His dad laughed,suffocated from the tight hug his son was giving him.But it was worth it.

"You love art,honey,it would be such a shame if your talented was wasted",his mum said,smiling at him.Then, she was taken aback from the sudden kiss that was placed on her cheek.

"Love you!So much!",Taehyung said,beaming.He couldn't stop smiling,not when he was given such a rare opportunity.He was sure he and his family were about to be criticized for this,but he couldn't care enough.He was finally going after his dreams!

 

Taehyung smiled happily at the thought,proud of himself that he had come so far.He had actually exceled in his studies,his teachers really amazed by him and his skills.They were the ones who encouraged him to publish some of his paintings that were considered actual masterpieces.He definitely didn't expect to get that known afterwards,but wherever he went,he got recognized and complimented.

Having all the colors he would need set and in order,he started painting onto the white paper.The radio beside him was talking about some writer,who had just written a new song.The writer was actually invited to the station from what it seemed,ready to read aloud the lyrics.From what Taehyung could catch,Μin Yoongi was his name.

The truth is,Taehyung was amazed by the writer's abilities on writing.But he was more amazed by his thoughts and ideas that he expressed through his lyrics.He found that his opinions were kind of similar to Yoongi's,glad that finally someone was opposed to the conservative thinking,just like him.

He swirled in his chair,turning off the radio.He needed peace and quiet when he was alone with his paper. 

 

                                                                                                                       ✽

Some days and a handful of paintings later,Taehyung was finally getting enough of his house.He surely loved painting,but he couldn't continue staying inside,without fresh air to relax him.There was a beautiful garden half an hour away from his home,full of pretty flowers and trees.He really loved the environment and the calmness it offered.He could definitely hang out on a bench,while admiring the place.He also wanted to meet up with his friends,after all.

Just as he was going to leave the house,his father who was reading a book in the living room, noticed him.He rose from his seat,going up to him while smiling a bit.

"I have something to give you",his dad said,pulling open his desk's drawer and taking out something.When Taehyung saw what it was,it left him surprised.

"Since you're taking such long walks away from home,i want you to take this.You should be armed,for your own good"

Taehyung took the gun his father was handing out,a bit hesitantly.He quickly shoved it in his jacket's pocket,without saying a word.Even though it seem out of his character,carrying a gun,he knew it was needed as he wasn't much safe,now that he is well-known.Besides,his father always looked out for him,making sure he was feeling loved and safe.

 

He silently thanked himself that he thought about taking a walk.He swore he couldn't remember the last time he had been outside his house.Smiling to himself,he went to gather some flowers that caught his attention.They would be definitely needed for his painting session later.

As he was taking a stroll,a charming man was passing by him,literally across him.He was sure he had seen his face again,somewhere,but he couldn't pinpoint where and who he was.He felt like his breath was caught in his lungs,like his color turned pale.The man's gummy smile as he was holding his own bouquet of flowers he had just taken from the garden,left Taehyung breathless.

Even though Taehyung was lost for words,he swore his heart stopped beating when the man stopped walking and just stood still a few meters away from him.Taehyung stood still too,noticing that they were actually looking at each other.The man's eyes were too mesmerizing,his cat-like eyes.Taehyung could definitely see the sky in his beautiful eyes.

"Your beauty left me speechless",the man told him,while removing his hat,now showing his wonderful black hair.

"Yours too",Taehyung found himself answering,without noticing it.

The man smiled,hastily looking down while turning to leave.Taehyung's heart literally stopped beating.