three

Until the Leaves Break

The fact that it only took a while for him to completely open up to Chanyeol still surprises Baekhyun.

He guesses it is safe to say that their friendship keeps progressing as time goes by, seeing that he’s now more comfortable with the boy. He now talks with Chanyeol; as in real talking that includes solid topics and serious conversations and not just lame jokes or snide comments or empty insults. He now talks to him about his problems, his complaints, and his random self-deprecating thoughts that he had never imagined saying to someone out loud.

It was all new to Baekhyun; to feel like he finally had the chance to breathe after staying underwater for so long is a feeling he never thought he needed but he liked it. But if he were to be honest, he is actually scared. He’s scared for the water to come back and fill his lungs until he stays drowning alone forever and this kind of fear is also new to him; the fear of being alone is new to him.

(But if he were to be more honest, he’s more scared of the things Chanyeol can make him feel and the things Chanyeol will make him feel; he’s more scared of being lonely rather than being alone.)

It is better to be alone from the start than to be alone because everyone decided to leave you, this was Baekhyun’s pathetic self’s pathetic motto. But no matter how pathetic it sounds, to him, it couldn’t get any more appropriate. After all, he wasn’t one to take risks. He would never put his heart on his sleeves just so anyone can pull on it, that’s a stupid move. He would never get himself attached to anyone if that means he will later yearn for their presence when they leave, no, never.

That was what he said and promised to himself, but then, Chanyeol just had to walk into his life and ruin everything and turn him into someone he had fought hard not to be.

“Boinky?”

Chanyeol just had to walk into his life with those gangly limbs and big ears and lopsided smile of his and break down the walls he had built so hard to protect himself.

“Baek?”

Baekhyun isn’t sure if he regrets the changes he is letting himself have, but if they are because of Chanyeol—if they are for Chanyeol, he doesn’t think he’s regretting anything.

“Yah! Are you even listening to me?”

Baekhyun snaps out of his trance when Chanyeol pinches his nose hard. “Ow! Stop! Stop!” He swats Chanyeol’s hand away and gently rubs the tip of his nose with his fingers. “What the is with you?”

Chanyeol glares at him. “You would know if you weren’t spacing out.”

He instantly felt guilt eating up his system, and that tiny pout Chanyeol is giving him is not helping. “Sorry.”

Chanyeol’s glare turned into a worried stare. “What are you thinking about anyway?”

Baekhyun gulps. No, he couldn’t possibly say he just realized that he might or might not be a little bit in love with him. “College.” Nice. Keep going, Baekhyun. “Since, you know, senior high is just around the corner.”

“I see.” He internally cheers because Chanyeol seems to take it. “We’re just about on the same page. I was asking if you’ll let the NCAE results define your future or take a different strand.”

“Oh.” He’s pretty sure that Chanyeol already knows, but he still answers, “ABM, of course; the strand we’re both supposed to take.”

He only meant it as a joke, but he panics when he sees Chanyeol’s smile fall. “Oh ! I’m so—“

“Don’t worry about it.” Chanyeol sends him a small smile. “I’m just… really not into business. You do know that my biggest dream is to be a surgeon, right?”

“Sure, it is.”

Chanyeol’s face slowly starts to light up. “Plus, I got a 99 on STEM! It’s fate.”

And Baekhyun, being the good friend he is, just agrees. “Sure, it is.”

Chanyeol coincidentally has the same path as him; they were both supposed to take over their family’s business one day. Their parents were even delighted when they’ve heard of it that they were actually planning on merging both of their companies when he and Chanyeol become the CEOs because their friendship secures everything, they say. Chanyeol wouldn’t go behind his back, and of course he wouldn’t too, because they’re friends from the start, and it’s a win-win situation for both companies because they wouldn’t have to go through any trust issues.

While Baekhyun actually liked the idea of having his best friend as his business partner, Chanyeol, on the other hand, hated the fact that their parents see their friendship as a mere instrument to strengthen their businesses.

Chanyeol hated that their parents make it look like their friendship was made just to make use of each other in the future. He hated that they’re making a “purpose” of their friendship when there isn’t even supposed to be one.

“Besides, Chaeyoung is there to handle all the business .” Chanyeol wiggles his eyebrows and all the tension disappears.

Baekhyun laughs. “Dumping your responsibilities to your baby sister? What a man.”

Chanyeol has his eyebrows furrowed. “What do you mean baby? She’s just 2 years younger than me; she’d be responsible enough to be your business partner when the day comes.”

“Hey,” Baekhyun unconsciously furrows his eyebrows. “Why do you make it sound like you’re leaving?”

Chanyeol shrugs and smiles widely. “Who knows, maybe I can make it to Harvard?”

All the thoughts he was having a while ago went back into his head. Of course, Chanyeol is an aspiring doctor, so of course, he dreams of going to Harvard. It’s the best med school as they say, after all.

Of course, Chanyeol will eventually leave, and Baekhyun is too stupid to have known better.

He wrinkles his nose just like he always does when he’s about to insult Chanyeol. “You won’t. They’re allergic to stupid.”

But who was he kidding? Chanyeol is far from stupid. He can make it to any university that he wanted, and how he wishes that Chanyeol is actually as stupid as he acts.

“Hah!” Chanyeol crosses his arms on his chest and leans back with a smug smile etched on his face. “Wait ‘till I slap you in the face with my perfect 1 GPA.”

Baekhyun blinks at him, clearly not interested. “Sure. And if that ever happens, I hope you’re aware that you’re not going to be the first summa laude in the whole wide world.”

“Oh, I see where you’re going with this,” Chanyeol smiled so widely and it’s creeping Baekhyun out. “You don’t want me to leave your sorry , am I right? You’re going to miss me so much and it will drive you insane.”

Baekhyun slaps his forehead. “Seriously, how do you manage to be so full of yourself all the time.”

“Only for you, Boinky.” Chanyeol sends him a flying kiss and Baekhyun slaps himself again as a reply. “Why, isn’t that true, though?

“What is?”

“Wouldn’t you miss me when I go to America?” Baekhyun doesn’t seem to be fazed so he adds, “To study medicine?”

Baekhyun opens his mouth only to close it again when no words came out. The truth finally comes out. Chanyeol really wants to study abroad, and this is him indirectly asking for permission. But why is Chanyeol asking him anyway? It’s not like his opinion matters. So what if Baekhyun doesn’t want him to go? Will he ever be willing to trade his dream for Baekhyun?

Chanyeol asks for the second time and it surprises Baekhyun because it’s the first time that his eyes are indecipherable. “Wouldn’t you, Baek?” Wouldn’t you stop me from leaving?

“No.” is what Baekhyun answered him.

I don’t want you to go, is what Baekhyun’s eyes are telling him, and Chanyeol is lost in the enigma that is Byun Baekhyun once again.

“Okay.” Chanyeol sends him a forced smile and Baekhyun does not want to know why. “Thank you.”

But I hope you would, is what Chanyeol really wanted to say. He was half-hoping that Baekhyun wouldn’t let him. He was waiting for Baekhyun to convince him that it’s not only the schools abroad that can add an M.D. on his name and that the universities in their country are also capable of doing that. He was waiting for Baekhyun to bombard him with reasons why he does not have to leave—why he shouldn’t leave. He was waiting for Baekhyun to tell him anything; to do something.

“Sure, anything for you.”

But he didn’t.

Chanyeol sometimes hated that Baekhyun supports him in everything because sometimes, it actually hurts.

“Hey guys.” Chanyeol sees the student council president walking towards where they sit.

Baekhyun smiles at him. “Hey, Junmyeon. What’s up?”

“Nothing, just wanna tell you guys that free time’s over.” Their classmate answers while smiling to the both of them. “And that practice starts in 5 minutes.”

Chanyeol raises an eyebrow. “Practice? What practice?”

“For graduation. Oh, by the way,” The guy, Junmyeon, taps his shoulder twice. “Cheers to the valedictorian.”

Chanyeol shyly laughs. “Thanks.”

“You’re welcome. See you guys in 5!”

When Junmyeon walks away, Chanyeol turns to Baekhyun and raises his fist with his little finger sticking out. “Let’s make a promise.”

Baekhyun gives him a curious look. “What promise?”

“We’ll go to the same school,” Chanyeol pauses for a second and he continues, “while I’m still here.”

“When are you planning to—” Baekhyun forces the word out of his mouth because he has to, “—leave?”

“I still don’t know yet.” Chanyeol smiles. “But I know it’s not too soon. So, is it a deal?”

He can still stop this. He can cut ties with him while it’s not too late and never contact him again. He can still remove Chanyeol from his life. He still has the chance to say no and turn his back on someone who’s going to leave him one day. He just has to say no—

Baekhyun hooks his little finger onto Chanyeol’s as he smiles back. “Deal.”