VI - Red Roses Will Never Die

An Empire of Our Own

 

    VI - Red Roses Will Never Die

1 Month Later...

"It should have been that weak Prince! I put my life on making sure it was his drink that was poisoned!" the ex-imperial commander hit his fist in his hand with frustration. "Now we need to convince the people of Shishi to accept us among them. We can't hide out forever" 

"If one of our members hadn't ratted us out we wouldn't have to flee" another chimed in. "He probably swapped the drinks back for all we know" 

"Look men. We won't look at this as a failure. Although it wasn't intended for Admiral Moon to die, we will not look back. We must move forward and seek refuge within the Shishi military ranks, then, we will be able to fight him like real men" 

"I agree!" a commander stood up. 

"So do I" another added.

"Then this is our new approach" Cho concluded. 

*
For the Prince, the month following Jongup's death, which felt like many years, was spent in deep grievance. He was given time off from extensive duties to collect himself but each day became difficult. As if his heart had been torn from him by each fibre. It was painful and endless. The Prince was only seen in a deep black, gold lined uniform and a rose crest among his many badges. He became obsessed with red roses ever since his best friend's passing. He kept a bunch on his desk which he promised he'd take care of and never let die. Those roses made up for everything he lacked as a best friend. 

He thought about his enemy sparingly with most of his thoughts being occupied by old memories or how he could have done things differently to prevent this. The only thoughts of his enemy was of burning hatred, as if he was the one responsible for his death. 

Daehyun was staring as far as he could through his large windows. He was interrupted by very small knocks on his door from his secretary who had barely lived up to his secretary role since the Prince's grieving. Daehyun welcomed his secretary whose expression was unusual. He looked somewhat worried which was unlike the expressionless secretary; Daehyun could detect that immediately.

"Prince..." he paused to clear his throat. "Himchan of Toto is here to see you" 

"Pardon?" the Prince's eyes had widened

"Y-yes he-"

"How did he so even enter the planet without my knowledge?" His facial expression grew angry.

"He demanded entry for something of great urgency" 

"That doesn't change the fact that I was not notified beforehand" the Prince ran a hand through his hair. He let out an exaggerated sigh refusing to give into anger and rage. "Let him in". 

Daehyun took a seat on his desk and awaited the entrance of Kim Himchan. He tried his best to remain calm but Himchan was the last of people he wanted to see, especially knowing his odd liking over his passed best friend. 

Himchan entered with his air of confidence, his head high and his uniform crisp. Daehyun already felt annoyance bubbling but brushed it off, interested in what he could possibly need so urgently.

"Be seated" The Prince ushered at the seat in front of him. Himchan bowed with great exaggeration as he took his seat. "So what brings you here so urgently Admiral Kim?" 

"Well, it comes to me through a few sources that Jongup has passed. As a good friend of his, I wanted to hear about it directly" 

"A good friend of his? I beg to differ" the Prince scoffed.

"Yes, though more than you'd know Prince" Himchan sighed before looking up at the Prince in front of him. His next words were chosen to fuel the fire. "I know it was you Prince". 

Daehyun now furious, leaned over the table and grabbed the collar of Himchan with a single fist. His face was mere inches from touching the other. 

"I dare you...I dare you blame me once more" he seethed, his face a violent shade of red. 

"Actually Prince...I have longed to be this close to you" he smiled smugly 

Daehyun stood up with his fist balled with Himchan's uniform and pushed him against the wall. 

"I'll kill you I swear to it" he shook him hard. "YOU USED JONGUP TO GET CLOSE TO ME?" he yelled at the top of his voice now filled with pure rage. 

"Wait wait" Himchan raised his voice almost worried he'd actually kill him right there. "I have useful information on the enemy...it won't be a good idea to kill me" 

Daehyun's face changed at hearing "the enemy". He let Himchan go and allowed him to talk.

"Thank you" he straightened himself up before proceeding. "Yes I do have invaluable information about your enemy Admiral Yoo...something you'd be interested to hear"