Yeri

Through Stranger's Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"I want to be in a relationship where you telling me you love me is just a ceremonious validation of what you already show me. "

- Steve Maraboli

 

 

You just got home from class. You toss your bag on the bed and take off your uniform and change into something more loose and homey. You walk to the kitchen, open the fridge and scan for something edible. 

(It’s Park Sooyoung’s fault that you didn’t have lunch today. The giant wanted you to accompany her to a new makeup store opening. You’re just glad you two made it back in time for your next class.)

Then you find a tupperware with a purple sticky note: I saw this on the market. I hope you’ll like it. - BJH

You can’t help the grin that forms on your face when you open the tupperware. It’s your favorite banana roti.

Thank you for the banana roti, unnie!, you text your older sister before taking a bite of the delicious treat.

You’re enjoying the food while watching a drama when a knock on the door startles you. You glance at the clock. It’s too early for your sister to come home yet. So that just means one other person.

With no hesitation, you swing the door open. A tall girl - taller than you, at least - with long dark brown hair comes to sight. Eyes turning into crescents as she smiles. Then without saying anything, she proudly shows you two boxes of pizza that she brought with her.

“Ah, Seulgi-unnie, you’re the best!” You say excitedly, grabbing the boxes of pizza from her. You let her in before shutting the door close. “Joohyun-unnie will be home in an hour.”

“Do you think she’s eaten dinner by then?” she asks.

You shrug, “Probably not. You know my sister.”

Seulgi pouts. “Can I borrow your kitchen?”

You look at her intently. “Do you want my sister to decapitate me?” you ask dramatically. “Joohyun-unnie owns the kitchen and the laundry room, Seulgi-unnie. I have no power over those sacred places.”

“I promise not to burn anything down. Please, Yerim.” She pleads. “I just want to make dinner for my girlfriend.”

You think about it. Seulgi isn’t a bad cook. A clumsy one maybe but not bad at all. She just wants to cook something for your sister. And knowing your sister and how hardworking she is, she probably skipped some meals again today.

Joohyun leaves home before the sun rises so you never see her in the morning unless you wake up early, which never happens. But even then, she always makes sure you have a good breakfast and, if you’re luckier, a packed lunch for school. She always does the laundry every other day. (You once insisted that you should help to lessen her workload but then she says she can do it by herself since it’s her favorite thing to do, second to ironing clothes. But you know better, she just doesn’t trust you with her beloved fabric softeners.) Then Joohyun comes home at night and she will cook dinner for the both of you. You know she’s exhausted but doesn’t say anything.

You want to help her, of course. Even with the little things in the house. But she always refuses, insisting that you should just focus on your studies and enjoy your teenage life as much as possible. Although you appreciate the thought, you still can’t help but feel bad at the same time. Joohyun, being a breadwinner and raising you alone since both of your parents died two years ago, has always been burdened by the responsibilities of being the eldest.

Okay.

Maybe you should let Seulgi cook for her this time. Maybe you can do this for her. Maybe this is worth decapitating for later.

“Don’t ruin Joohyun-unnie’s non-stick frying pans, you hear me?” It’s not a threat, more like a not-so-gentle reminder. You just don’t want Seulgi to end up hearing the same long dramatic eulogy about her non-stick frying pan that you apparently murdered.

“You got it!” Seulgi says with a salute and rushes to the kitchen.

Oh, well. If you’re lucky, you’ll be repleted later as well.

 

 

You help Seulgi set the table for the three of you.

“Unnie, you’re shaking.” You can’t help but point out the way her hands tremble as she lays down the plates and utensils on the table.

“I’m just a little nervous,” she says.

“Why? It’s just dinner, unnie.”

“Actually, it’s not just dinner.” Seulgi puts down the last spoon. She faces you. “Yerim, can I talk to you?”

You chuckle, “You’re already talking to me, Seulgi-unnie.”

“I - it’s kind of serious.”

“I can be serious.” Seulgi quirks an eyebrow. “Really, unnie! Just tell me now.”

“As if I have any other choice,” she mumbles. Seulgi takes off her apron and moves to the living room. She grabs something from her sling bag then comes back to the table.

You freeze, staring with wide eyes at what your sister’s girlfriend is holding.

A fancy-looking black ve

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter