Ch 1: First Meeting

Resident “Bad Boy”

The hallway was a tangent of people bustling about to reach their first classes. It was the day after winter break, and the amount of people with Starbucks cups clasped in their hands was alarming. An unamused grunt sounded beside him.

    “Jesus, people are gonna overdose on caffeine before lunch,” Donghyuck said, eyebrow raised as he eyed the students. “I’m sure snow wasn’t the only white thing getting blown up their noses.”

Jaemin rolled his eyes at his best friend’s remark. Typical. The taller brunet jabbed the other’s side with his elbow.

    “Well not everyone spent their break on a getaway with their boyfriend face,” Jaemin snickered as Donghyuck pushed him, the former colliding with a hard surface, huffing out an all but attractive grunt. Jaemin thought he hit a wall, but the last time he checked, walls didn’t have arms that would wrap around him as he fell. Heat exploded in Jaemin’s face. His hands were on the person’s biceps and even though the other wore a leather jacket, Jaemin could feel the taut muscles that hid underneath.

    “Um- uh, I’m sorry! I just, um, my friend-” the brunet spluttered with a wavering voice. He kept his head down to avoid the other from seeing his reddening face, knowing that they will definitely take notice. Jaemin heard a snicker from behind him and he couldn’t decide if it were from Donghyuck or the devil himself. Not like there’s much of a difference. Turning back, Jaemin accidentally looked at the person to which donned the stunning body, and it’s safe to say that the face that adorned it was any less worthy of praise. The boy had a nice straight nose and a slightly curved, but still prevalent jawline. His lips were held in a smirk that naturally tilted up and- wait. Why was Jaemin still holding on to him? Why was Jaemin ogling him? Why was Jaemin enjoying it? Oh, mother of-

    “God, I’m so sorry! That was, ugh, I’m so sorry!” Jaemin exclaimed.

He pushed himself off of the other boy, uttering apologies as he strove past a cackling Donghyuck. Jaemin stumbled past a group of loiterers in the middle of the hallway, muttering an excuse as he went inside the washroom. To his relief, it was void of anyone as he stared at himself in the mirror. He was met with a flustered face and flushed ears. The brunet could feel the fast beating of his heart echoing in his chest. What was that?

 

As Jaemin was busy having a crisis in the washroom, Donghyuck had started to talk to the hard featured boy.

    “Yeah, okay, that happened,” Donghyuck muttered as he awkwardly rubbed the back of his neck with a sly smirk, stepping closer. “Name’s Donghyuck. The clumsy doe that just walked away is my friend, Jaemin.”

The shorter motioned the other boy to introduce himself.

    “Well, my name’s Lee-” the latter started, but slowed as he saw Donghyuck eye him wholly. He was about to start again, but the shorter’s head darted up, as if he finally saw the last piece to his puzzle.

    “Wait! Do you mean…” Donghyuck cut in.

The other boy looked at him in with a trivial glare in his eyes as he brushed the front of his leather jacket. Donghyuck and the fair boy seemed to be in a staring competition with each other. The former grimaced at his reaction but continued to analyze him.

Something clicked in Donghyuck’s mind. He looked at the taller boy, taking in familiar, yet unfamiliar looks. Then his eyes widened.

    “So, you’re the Lee? Like Lee J-” the sharp ringing of the bell sounded through the school, cutting off Donghyuck who guffawed. The short brunette short-circuited, mouth ajar.

    “Talk to me during lunch! Remember, the name’s Donghyuck!” and with that, he scurried away to his first class.

The boy was left confused and slightly disgruntled, staying rooted at his spot as Donghyuck’s back retreated to the bustle of the busy hallway. 

Meanwhile, back in the musty washroom, Jaemin finally felt his heart start to cease, the thundering calmed. What on Earth was that? My God, why am I like this?

In amidst his inner turmoil, he didn’t hear the bell ring. It wasn’t only until a loud banging came on the door.

    “Make sure you’re not late! I don’t want any kids getting sent to my office today!” the principal, Mr. Lee Soo-man yelled, causing Jaemin to jump in his shoes.

He had forgotten about his abnormal principal. The principal would always make rounds around the school, making daily reminders for the students to always be early to class and excel. But the students didn’t mind them so much. They were going to SM High School after all, a school known for intellect and sports prowess. Lee Soo-man had been the principal for a decade now, and during that time, many well known people were born into success. He would often tease (harass) students, pull playful (harmful) pranks on the teachers, and be an overall slightly obnoxious school head. Though his antics are often overlooked due to his over-extravagant support for the school.

When Donghyuck had gone to a singing competition, nominated by the school, he had to go to a city over to participate. Of course, as any good friend would do, Jaemin had also come to support and hype up his best friend. And who was also there? The one and only principal of SM High School, Lee Soo-man. Long story short, the man was nearly kicked out of the building because of his overly obnoxious  cheering and the dozens of glow sticks brought in support of his student.

 

    “Ah! Oh , I need to go,” Jaemin said, rushing out of the washroom, the now desolate hallway was now a breeze to go through. He didn’t want to end up in what many students call ‘SM’s Dungeon.’

Running down the hall, his feet pounded against the floor. Jaemin has never been late to class, being the star-student that he is, and he wasn’t going to be late now. Nearing the classroom, he saw his teacher was just about to go in.

    “Mr. Kim! Wait!” he yelled at the soft-gazed teacher.

Mr. Kim his heel, the sound of Jaemin’s voice stopping him in his steps. He smiled as he saw his student.

    “Jaemin, fancy seeing you late. You just about made it.” Mr. Kim said. “Now get in!”

 

The student wobbled in the classroom, catching the attention of his class. He jumped to his desk, well, shared desk -his lab table, startling his deskmate, Mark. Jaemin pulled out his books and started to prepare his notebook to write notes.

Mr. Kim put his bag down beside his desk and shrugged off his brown coat.

   “Okay guys, today our class will receive a new student. The principal should be here to introduce him to us soon.”

And as if it were planned and rehearsed, the principal opened the door and waltzed in, a second pair of footsteps followed suit.

“Students, please welcome the new student to SM High. This is Lee Jeno.”

 

Almost immediately, the room erupted in a chorus of whispers, both hushed and ones that are not as subtle.

Of course it would, the topic of discussion for the past few months just waltzed in the room. His jet black hair was swept back, but it still looked like something you’d want to run your hands through. Almond eyes flitted around the room, eyeing each student, casting judging glances on their faces. His eyes fell on Mark then all too quickly flitted over to the brunet beside him.

Jaemin caught his eyes and held Jeno’s piercing stare. It seemed as if they were melting on each other’s gaze, two people starting to mold into one. The former felt his face reheat. Jeno smirked at the reaction, his eyes turning to crescents.

Jaemin felt like he was on fire.

 

A cough broke through the trance.

    “Now that introductions are done, Mr. Kim Junmyeon, I’ll leave you to it,” the principal said, patting Jeno’s shoulder.

He left the room as Mr. Kim instructed Jeno to take a seat. Jaemin saw his teacher point in his direction.

    “Jeno, please make your near the back of the class, and take a seat on the table to the right. There should be a free seat there for you,” Mr. Kim said, ushering Jeno forward.

Jaemin felt his jaw start to go lax as the raven neared. Jeno’s presence was truly daunting, a certain aura hung around him; it was something that would make those around him want to stay with him. It was very… dominant.

 

Their eyes met once again, hooded ones interlocking with ones widened and surrounded in a light blush. The latter’s jaw was clenched tight, not wanting to be obviously entranced by the new student. But it’s not like he should be too embarrassed. Jaemin was far from being the only one who has started to fall- no, has already fallen for the boy. The room was still bustling with whispers, from both male and female students. They stole glances at the newcomer, the girls whispered  in excited shrills and a faint dusting of pink would decorate their cheeks. The boys on the other hand, sent pointed glares, brows furrowed as they talked quietly with each other.

Jaemin looked at all their reactions, desperate for any sort of distraction from the boy that took a seat at the table behind him. Directly behind him. He heaved a sigh.

    “ing dammit.”

The rest of the year was going to be a whole lot more tiring than he thought it would be.